Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,196 members, 7,839,072 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Your First Day On A Plane - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Your First Day On A Plane (13225 Views)

Lagos Plane Crash: List Of Passengers & Survivors / Boarding A Plane For The First Time (Your Experience) / Your First Day On A Plane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your First Day On A Plane by THEAMAKA(f): 12:50am On Mar 13, 2010
not that bad? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
abeg, spare me!
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by airzzee(m): 6:23am On Mar 13, 2010
Olisa4all:

looks can b deceptive o,l0l . .but d initial pics of mutalab wsnt dat bad naw. .d ones where he ws a lot younger tho

Yah, Olisa, u hv my opinion.
@The Amaka, I think d Muttalab guy isnt dt ug. He s a fine boy. Mayb d path he chose kinda left him unkempt. My opinion tho.

Meanwhile, which episode was "The Flight That Fought Back." I may nt remember d title, but I guess I must hvv seen it. Just descrribe it 4 me.

I will also go check those episodes out on Yutube. Pls, guys, if any of the ACI series is on commercial DVD sales, I wouldnt mind buying as much as 50 of them. Dt tells u hw much I like them. They ve tot me a lot about life. Very educative, informative. Each time I fly,, I become conscious of what to do at any point. I watch for cracks (do u remember d lady who saw cracks but merely changed her seat position?); I watch the attitude of the plane to know whether the pilots are sleeping. I ve had to ask a flight attendant to go, check whther the pilots were asleep; she laughed but she did. 

What I like most are d improvements in d aviation industry: The collision avoidance systems & all; the idea of asking pilots to use diffrnt routes when going,  and when returning to avoid collisions, which happnd in the past. I wish I can be a pilot.

The Hudson River ditch is still the hero today. I ve heard much of ditching; none has ever been as successful as that of 57-year old Sullenberger. He's my man anytime. Ethipian airline pilot that dirtched in the waters is also good. He saved many lives.

Guys, I can talk all day on airplanes. I wish I have a pilot friend. I need to share his personal experience. If there's anyone on NL, please, let me meeet him. They are cool pple.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by THEAMAKA(f): 10:35am On Mar 13, 2010

lol @ mutallab, the guy is just NOT FINE!!! when i first saw his picture i thought "who is this ugly looking dude" before even proceeding to read on that he is the infamous mutallab. lol

the flight that fought back was the reenactment of the 4th plane on 9/11 that didn't make it to its original destination because the passengers of the plane fought against the terrorists and eventually crashed in some empty lot behind a school (thank God!!!)

funny enough that episodes of "aloha airlines flight 123" was the first ACI episodes that i watched that had me hooked!!! isn't that the one where the lady noticed cracks in the rivets prior to boarding the plane but she didn't say anything and eventually they realized the plane was, in a way, falling apart?
and she did change her seat and i think that saved her life!!!!  shocked

its sad to say, but with all these bad events, it only makes aviation a lot safer and better for the future.  smiley

the thing about the hudson river crash, the plane was built for ditching(the A320 i believe).
the one the ethiopian airlines ditched was a B767 (not meant for gliding AT ALL!!!) the engines scooped up water and it was catastrophic.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Olisa4all: 7:29am On Mar 14, 2010
@airzeez. .pilot . . SLEEP! not possible . .even if,eva hrd of autopilot?
Amaka,check d 1st pic of mutalab dat came out u'l c wat we're sayin. .
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by DanG1(m): 8:17am On Mar 14, 2010
[size=13pt]OMG, It was intense excitement, even before boarding, I was already in Wonderland, and it was A KLM flight to Sweden, at the seat in front of me I had a TV screen to maself, watched, listened to music, played games and watched a lytle adult movie, it was an 8hour long flight, Mena I was on top of the world, I was feeling Lyk Obasanjo eeeeeee[/size]
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by THEAMAKA(f): 10:45am On Mar 14, 2010
@Olisa4all
i went and looked at every single photo of muttallab and i really can't see what you're talking about.
they're ALL FUGLY!!! abeg!
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by sandee575(f): 11:39am On Mar 14, 2010
Olisa4all
I understnd u come 4rm a Pilot's family. Could u pls, assist me with the question I posed early? What is the takeoff angle of most airplanes? I do NOT mean the Climbing angle(s); I mean takeoff. I know it varies from plane to plane. Can i have the range?

Honestly, I would have loved to be a pilot. I love airplanes. I sincerely do.

In fact, Air Crash investigation documentaries have made me to be aware of what to do in case there is a mayday - GOD FORBID!

There is no such thing as take-off angle sir. But you have take-off speed that varies from plane to plane and increasing with plane size and weight.
There is climb speed that determines the climb angle, thus you have best angle of climb speed, best rate of climb speed and economy climb speed.
Climb angle gives highest climb for shortest distance, best rate gives highest climb for shortest time and economy gives you best climb for fuel burn.
However when any airplane lifts off the runway, the initial rotation is to 15 degrees above the horizon, which gives the maximum lift to the wings. This angle relative to the horizon is known as the angle of attack and varies with the speed and lift of the airplane. I don tire for lecture.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by airzzee(m): 6:17am On Mar 15, 2010
sandee575:

There is no such thing as take-off angle sir. But you have take-off speed that varies from plane to plane and increasing with plane size and weight.
There is climb speed that determines the climb angle, thus you have best angle of climb speed, best rate of climb speed and economy climb speed.
Climb angle gives highest climb for shortest distance, best rate gives highest climb for longest distance and economy gives you best climb for fuel burn.
However when any airplane lifts off the runway, the initial rotation is to 15 degrees above the horizon, which gives the maximum lift to the wings. This angle relative to the horizon is known as the angle of attack and varies with the speed and lift of the airplane. I don tire for lecture.

@sandee575
Tnx so much. U ve really answered my questn (up to maxmimum of 15 degrees). Forgive me for the wrong register; I'm still a layman in Aviation, learning from secondary sources. However, I hear 4rm documentaries and literature about ANGLE OF TAKEOFF, which they explain as that maximum angle when the nose can b pulled up to avoid TAIL STRIKE (Tail strike often happens, but dont really cause accidents).

Depending on the size of the aircraft and its model, I hear it can range from 8deg to 11 degr to 14 and 15 degrees. Of course, it is practically impossible for an airplane to takeoff with about 30 degr or like a rocket 90 degrees.

Pls, Sandee, if I may ask. R u in the Aviation area? Pls, I need to have a pilot friend. I like that job, not minding the TERRIBLE RISK. I want to see if I can become a pilot. I want to learn more. Caution: I am above 30 years.

@The Amaka/Olisa
I have seen it too. I think that was the 4th 9-11 plane, where the passengers then already abreast of crashes became America's last line of defence in the air. I think, it was the same that a man sent a text msg to his wife saying (I paraphrase) "we have hijackers, but i think we can over-power them." Unfortunately the narrow aisle did nt allow more than one passenger to enter the cockpit for attack. It was also suspected that those hijackers had pepper spray substance like tear gas which could have incapacitated the passengers from attacking. I felt bad about it. How easy it is to die!

Yes, Aloha airlines. It was a case of Metal Fatigue and also design flaw, where part of the fusealage was torn off throwing out some people including a FLIGHT ATTENDANT, who was never seen again. God help us o!

@Olisa
Pilots do sleep. In fact autopilot makes them sleep deeper, unlike the driver of a car or lorry who dare not. Autopilots cannot however wake them up from deep slumber even with d alarm system. Have u forgotten d story last year of two pilots (of  Northwest Airlines) that slept and flew past their Destination Airport by about 240km? They claimed they were in a heated argument over the new AVIATION POLICY that they forget when they passed their target airport. Everybody knows they slept. Traffic controllers raised an alarm of a possible hijack event, before they incidentally came around. It think it was oct 21, 2009. The pilots were suspended instantly.

Another incident in January 2009, when another set of pilots were woken up after 18 minutes of sleep by ATCs.
See these links ( I hope the news will still be there):

http://www.islandpacket.com/1493/story/1009088.html

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/article.html?Sleep_probe_after_arguing_pilots_fly_150_miles_past_airport&in_article_id=756960&in_page_id=64

The general warning which some documentaries carry is: "When you fly, you put your TRUST in the PILOTS, and the pilots put their TRUST in the their COMPUTERS, but when the computers fail, the outcome could be disasterous." That is why when I fly, I put my TRUST IN GOD.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by sandee575(f): 9:22am On Mar 15, 2010
sandee575
Tnx so much. U ve really answered my questn (up to maxmimum of 15 degrees). Forgive me for the wrong register; I'm still a layman in Aviation, learning from secondary sources. However, I hear 4rm documentaries and literature about ANGLE OF TAKEOFF, which they explain as that maximum angle when the nose can b pulled up to avoid TAIL STRIKE (Tail strike often happens, but dont really cause accidents).

Depending on the size of the aircraft and its model, I hear it can range from 8deg to 11 degr to 14 and 15 degrees. Of course, it is practically impossible for an airplane to takeoff with about 30 degr or like a rocket 90 degrees.

Pls, Sandee, if I may ask. R u in the Aviation area? Pls, I need to have a pilot friend. I like that job, not minding the TERRIBLE RISK. I want to see if I can become a pilot. I want to learn more. Caution: I am above 30 years.
All airplanes rotate at take-off speed to an angle of attack of 15 degrees. A tail strike could occur during take-off
or landing when the airplane is too nose high. Of course you can have a pilot friend in me.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by THEAMAKA(f): 2:20pm On Mar 15, 2010
@airzzee
YEP!
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by airzzee(m): 1:07am On Mar 29, 2010
@Sandee, Thankx a million. I'll b asking u questions once in a while. I love pilots

@Amaka, Tnx too. Pls, let me knw when some new series are out in ACIs. I need to learn more. Greet Olisa, our friend.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by THEAMAKA(f): 8:31am On Apr 30, 2010
@ my aviation lovers/ACI addicts

here is the episode i was talking about. been kinda busy, but made time to drop off this link.
hoping we can chat this up later.
i really don't know why it says "Northwestern" because as far as i remember it was Delta Airlines. maybe a mistake by the uploader.

but here you guys go! enjoy!  cheesy cheesy cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4A0zHxHqts
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Olisa4all: 8:11am On May 03, 2010
geez. .its been a while,airzeez n amaka. .been kinda busy. . .did u apply4d bristow helicopters cadet training . .i've nt rily hd time2check dose links. .i'l hv2download n watch l8r. .hw've u guys been by d way?
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by airzzee(m): 9:02am On May 03, 2010
Olisa4all:

geez. .its been a while,airzeez n amaka. .been kinda busy. . .did u apply4d bristow helicopters cadet training . .i've nt rily hd time2check dose links. .i'l hv2download n watch l8r. .hw've u guys been by d way?

Hey olisa, I'm cool.
Been temporarily outta service too. Just came in2 NL 2day aftet a long while. I didnt get to hear about the Cadet Training. Can u get me link/site for the helicopter training? I'm really very fine. I guess is fine too 4rm her last post.

THE AMAKA:

@ my aviation lovers/ACI addicts

here is the episode i was talking about. been kinda busy, but made time to drop off this link.
hoping we can chat this up later.
i really don't know why it says "Northwestern" because as far as i remember it was Delta Airlines. maybe a mistake by the uploader.

but here you guys go! enjoy! cheesy cheesy cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4A0zHxHqts

Hi Amaka. Nice to hear from u again. I'm still opening the link, so I will watch it in a few minutes after it's fuly opened.

Yes, I understand why. In Aviation, airliners do hire/rent (I guess I m using the right register here) airplanes from other airliners when especially the hiring party has less aircrafts to meet their demands, and also there the airliner giving out theirs has idle planes or do not intend to fly for any reason. In the case of Delta Air/Northwest, I guess Northwest is the airliner that hired Delta Air 's aircrafts. The inter-change in identification is usually tolerated.

Meanwhile, the link is still opening. i will comment after it fully loaded.

I can see this thread is now abandoned for us three. That's better so we can do our thing.

Olisa, pls do get me the info I asked for (Helicopter training). I work, but need to learn flying airplanes (even a heli), if not for anything, for fun. I count on you.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by airzzee(m): 9:29am On May 03, 2010
The stuff couldnt download 100%. It stopped at about 6" instead 9". very interesting up to d limit I watched. I m trying to re-try d download. It talked about the Lockerbie bomb explosion of 1988, which killed over 200 passengers and crew, which also saw the Liberian terrorist jailed (remember he was released last year on health grounds).

i m trying d download again.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by sandee575(f): 11:33pm On May 04, 2010
I can see this thread is now abandoned for us three. That's better so we can do our thing.

Im here too, making four!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by THEAMAKA(f): 3:18am On May 05, 2010
hey my aviation lovers! sorry im getting back to you so late.
@airzzee
didn't know that, really?
can sandee575 confirm that for me?
wink smiley
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by sandee575(f): 6:39pm On May 05, 2010
Yes, I understand why. In Aviation, airliners do hire/rent (I guess I m using the right register here) airplanes from other airliners when especially the hiring party has less aircrafts to meet their demands, and also there the airliner giving out theirs has idle planes or do not intend to fly for any reason. In the case of Delta Air/Northwest, I guess Northwest is the airliner that hired Delta Air 's aircrafts. The inter-change in identification is usually tolerated.

@Amaka

AIRZZEE is right. Airlines do lease airplanes from other airlines (or lease companies) when such a need arises. When an airplane is leased with an operating
crew it is known as a wet-lease and without crew, a dry-lease. In this case, North West airlines is the Lessee and Delta the Lessor. So, under a dry lease aggrement the Lessee must have the flight crew to operate the airplane while the wet-lease gives a ready to fly airplane. And thanks for the hub, Amaka!!!
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Cappadona123: 10:21pm On May 07, 2010
@airzzee,i can reccomend an heli school 4u in d states.They use the safest,modern and economical fleets 4 their training;R-22 and R-44.Sky is my office!!!
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Nobody: 1:27am On May 13, 2010
violent said:

well, i was sitting beside this cute chic, so i had to form "everything is okay"

grin grin
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by moonraker(m): 5:10am On May 13, 2010
first day on the plane

Swiss Air (when they were still flying frm lagos)

LOS-ZUR.

the take off was flawless. i didnt even feel a thing,
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by ceasyc(f): 6:38am On May 13, 2010
@topic
LOS 2 LHR. was actually going to Stockholm, Sweden but
we had to spend a few days in london
- i didnt like d food (guess cos i havent had it b4 n i h8 trying new
tins especially food)
but d drinks were really good (1st class wink)
- my eardrums, oh my dayz, i felt like i was going deaf grin
- take off n landing felt 1 kind but not too bad
- etc

all in all it was just aight
but I love travelling by air since then - 1st, business or
economy (class) - i've tried dem all, it dont mata cos na d same plane
n everybodi go reach destination @d same time grin

i love sitting by d window
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by airzzee(m): 6:49pm On May 25, 2010
@THE AMAKA
@sandee575
@Olisa4all

Where are u guys? Is there any new episode of ACI? I’m itching to know.
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by THEAMAKA(f): 2:23am On May 26, 2010
^ ^ ^
plenty plenty plenty! I think i have watched 8 new episodes in the last 3 weeks.
I'll come back and post them later.
smiley
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by mgbogo: 5:01pm On May 27, 2010
Mine
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by jikings(m): 12:29am On Jun 03, 2010
My first flight from Okomiko to Newyork was very eventful. In fact that day I had to shayo very well and smoke some Igbo. We took off on the Marihauna departure lounge having booked a first class seats and sitting some kparaga served with smoked fish. The flight took off at exactly 3 pm with no hazzles as we were already high so the pilot didn't need to work very hard to keep us afloat, after two hours our plane suddenly stopped mid air as the fuel pomp stopped working. we all came down found some areas "Angels" and gave it a push and it started. We arrived NY on time to be received by the palm wine club delegation already waiting in thier keke napeb. In fact its the best trip I've ever had!!! Fly Marihuana airways!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by OmoAlata(f): 3:24pm On Jun 03, 2010
Fly Marihuana airways!!

You no go die grin
Re: Your First Day On A Plane by sandee575(f): 1:57pm On Jun 06, 2010
Re: Your First Day On A Plane
« #214 on: May 25, 2010, 06:49 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@THE AMAKA
@sandee575
@Olisa4all

Where are u guys? Is there any new episode of ACI? I’m itching to know.

[/quote

Amaka is the expert at ACI. I dont especially like the impression given there
that pilots could turn out to be wimps when faced with crises in-flight.

Re: Your First Day On A Plane by Hideaki: 2:40am On Oct 17, 2023
About 8 years ago I was wearing a belt with a metal buckle and they insisted I put it on the conveyer belt. Had to strip down to my underwear in front of everyone to remove the belt, and that's when I decided that I was never going to fly again. If I can't get there by train or boat, I'm not going.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Studying and Working In South Africa / FG Inaugurates Freight Services On Apapa-Ibadan Cargo Rail / Ibom Air Today Celebrate One Million Passengers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.