Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,487 members, 7,836,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (59106 Views)

My Watermelon Farming Experience / My Poultry Farming Experience! / My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by franugo(m): 3:27pm On Aug 28, 2017
magazineguy:
This is totally wrong as a consultant.

You didn't wake up one morning and became a consultant, you had a bit of your own experience before venturing into consultancy.
It is his business and he has decided to invest 7.5M into it and he came here for better exposure and maybe to motivates others. Talking down on his business move may send a form of discouragement to him. Most times it is best to have your own first-hand experience yourself.

When i first ventured into farming on two plots of land, some older men tried managing my funds giving advice here and there. In the end there was no profit, lost the farm and I felt bad towards them.

Now I have my 8 plots of land and doing it my way with happiness and joy. From time to time I seek advice which I believe is why the op brought it here for better advice.

8 plots,? that is awesome. in which state?
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by linearity: 3:27pm On Aug 28, 2017
Integrityfarms:

Value system, passion and available information are core functions of the decisions we take in life. Rather than saying it's not the best, you don't expect him to start making profit in the first three months of egg laying. Are you aware that these birds will profitably lay for one full year before culling?

You don't talk down on ones business pursuit. Am a consultant farmer with my farm where I have employees, you don't totally condemn the business pursuit of a client rather you offer technical assistance aimed at productivity efficiency.

O boy, can we connect? I have a farm in Benin and need farm employees.

I have been using day laborers and it is very expensive. I truly need connections for permanent labor.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by williams85(m): 3:28pm On Aug 28, 2017
good job.. worry not about the money spent, the results will put smile on ur face.

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by blessedvisky(m): 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
Wow. I'm here to learn. Keep the flag flying. The investment is quite much Tho

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by BiggyBamBam: 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
Wise man.
When others are looking for Oil Company jobs and some are looking for ways to be 419.
May God bless your labor.

11 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 3:31pm On Aug 28, 2017
Agunechibeya:
This is beautiful but why rent a pen house? Its cheaper, safer and less dangerous to have your own permanent place.

He made a good business sense,renting/leasing is way business acquire asset to avoid the cost associated with building one ,this cost is termed as sunk cost which you may recover over a period of time depending on the profitability index of your business.

From my own line thoughts the OP will have the time to start building his own pen at lease with profits from the business, he might even be lucky and the owner might decide to sell existing pen house to him

Good business initiative!

15 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Flaghouse1: 3:33pm On Aug 28, 2017
Agunechibeya:
This is beautiful but why rent a pen house? Its cheaper, safer and less dangerous to have your own permanent place.

He made a good business decision ,renting/leasing is way business acquire asset to avoid the cost associated with building one ,this cost is termed as sunk cost which you may recover over a period of time depending on the profitability index of your business.

From my own line thoughts the OP will have the time to start building his own pen at lease with profits from the business, he might even be lucky and the owner might decide to sell existing pen house to him

Good business initiative!

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Intrepid01(m): 3:35pm On Aug 28, 2017
The most dangerous branch of farming. I cant even dare. May God protect them for you and may you reap the fruit of your labour.

10 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by OkinosaVentures: 3:35pm On Aug 28, 2017
God Almighty in his infinite mercies, abundance grace and boundless Love will bless your endeavours real good in Jesus name, Amen.

8 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by WinkWrld: 3:35pm On Aug 28, 2017
Valindazz:
Bro, I intend starting up with 1m by January, guide me rightly pls.. Is it enough?

Where will u like to locate ur farm?. Meanwhile from all above. I think u just reserve feeding money upto point of lay when u can get a cushine

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by ikanason(m): 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2017
nice one
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by umar745(m): 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:

Google assertive bro

I don't talk people down...It's an enviable business...I admire and respect the op..I'm not talking him down never...God forbid..

To put it straight, i mean with 7.5M you can invest and create a very big poultry, this is the true and explicit information i wanted to convey

In fact I see him succeeding..He's doing one key thing right...which most poultry farmers don't do before they close up...not just poultry farmer...He's keeping data....data is key to success in poultry..

But you did talk down on his business venture.
You're pointing out problems without suggesting solutions.
I hope your talk doesn't end up with you telling him to buy an e-book.

The OP probably has his life savings invested right now, a little advice and encouragement won't hurt.
Cheers.

26 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2017
I'm impressed to see this on Nairaland, by the way you ought to have diversified your investment. God forbid bad thing, we are all aware that chickens are prone to several illnesses particularly flu. Did you know that with that 7.5m you can earn a Geometric Progression pattern income.. Let's say you invested 2m in poultry, 2m in cash crop farming, 2m in stocks/shares or treasury bills and 1.5m in fishing, then you have portfolio of investments in which a low risk in one investment will cover for the higher risk in another.. Though the higher the risk the higher the return..
God bless your hustle sir

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by snthesis(m): 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2017
@strangeland
the main question is what was your business case i.e target budget vs expected revenue. i dont want to believe you just invested that amount of money without performing feasibility studies on the return on investment

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 28, 2017
umar745:

But you did talk down on his business venture.
You're pointing out problems without suggesting solutions.
I hope your talk doesn't end up with you telling him to buy an e-book.

The OP probably has his life savings invested right now, a little advice and encouragement won't hurt.
Cheers.

You think i didn't drop any advice because you didnt read patiently Sir...

I have written books and won't sell them...

I said over capitalization will force funds into experimentation rather than spend them on other outlets that would impact the business significantly..

My advice to every person going into business is the same, whatever amount you wish to invest, save half, invest just half...

4 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nukualofa: 3:43pm On Aug 28, 2017
lucrownt:
I'm impressed to see this on Nairaland, by the way you ought to have diversified your investment. God forbid bad thing, we are all aware that chickens are prone to several illnesses particularly flu. Did you know that with that 7.5m you can earn a Geometric Progression pattern income.. Let's say you invested 2m in poultry, 2m in cash crop farming, 2m in stocks/shares or treasury bills and 1.5m in fishing, then you have portfolio of investments in which a low risk in one investment will cover for the higher risk in another.. Though the higher the risk the higher the return..
This is what i meant
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by concho(m): 3:44pm On Aug 28, 2017
khayce:
please who knows anyone traveling from Lagos to abuja tonight here? contact or whatsapp me via 08063951701 its urgent and important
my sis flight is afternoon
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by gistsky: 3:49pm On Aug 28, 2017
I like dis. But it's seriously capital intensive.
Whr do i get d knowledge of dis biz frm? This is my dream business.

2 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by magazineguy(m): 3:50pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ogun State.

franugo:

8 plots,? that is awesome. in which state?
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by magazineguy(m): 3:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
I do maize, cassava and vegies

Oladat:
Very good advice.But I will like to ask what sort of crop you are into.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 28, 2017
Nukualofa:
This is what i meant
Yeah, investment can be funny at times.. As we all know that there are lots of economic states such as boom, recession etc. Nobody can be too sure about the future...
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 28, 2017
supersystemsng:
You invested 7.5 Million in poultry? Am i seeing well? Why invest 7.5M in poultry bro?

He has another 14 mil aside,lol
Omo dis guy can take risks sha, i just hope & pray he succeeds.

5 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 3:56pm On Aug 28, 2017
Jiang:

He has another 14 mil aside,lol
Omo dis guy can take risks sha, i just hope & pray he succeeds.

I'm kneeling down now typing this..I pray he succeeds and wish him well...in the business...with the huge investment..i expect him to start raking around 1-2Million per month with time..

4 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by magazineguy(m): 3:58pm On Aug 28, 2017
I agree with you and I understand but we are in a country where people talk more than actually work. Maybe I picked a wrong tone from your comment. Apologies

The dude has started already and he probably doesn't have so much experience, so there should be more applause than castigating. We are all here for the learning and motivation.

supersystemsng:

To put it straight, i mean with 7.5M you can invest and create a very big poultry, this is the true and explicit information i wanted to convey

5 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nukualofa: 3:59pm On Aug 28, 2017
lucrownt:
Yeah, investment can be funny at times.. As we all know that there are lots of economic states such as boom, recession etc. Nobody can be too sure about the future...
They will term you hater but we need to seek advice before taking investment decisions
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2017
magazineguy:
I agree with you and I understand but we are in a country where people talk more than actually work. Maybe I picked a wrong tone from your comment. Apologies

The dude has started already and he probably doesn't have so much experience, so there should be more applause than castigating. We are all here for the learning and motivation.

As an entrepreneur that has started many stuffs here and there, whose last business crashed a while back, i can say don't fall for the negativities....do your research work and shoot...playing risk isn't cool...go for it...

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Ogbaba123: 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2017
Good job.
Please I'll appreciate if you can update this thread later on with an analysis of your profit margin.
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by imustsaymymindo: 4:04pm On Aug 28, 2017
strangeland:
I started this in July 2017. I rented a pen house in the Epe axis of Lagos (At a "mates" rate of 50k) I purchased 3500 chicks at 17 weeks old @ N1,400 each = N4,900,000. The funny thing is I couldn’t buy them directly from the seller I had to go through an agent who charge N30 per bird = N105,000. After buying the bird I got them debecked for N14,000. Got them vaccinated and gave them antibiotics for a disease called Newcastle. Med N42,000
The birds arrived at my farm at 19 weeks and fed on 84 bags of grower weekly (That is 12 bags per day) @ N3,400 each = N285,600
Generator cost N5,000 per week
ND+IB Vaccine (14/08/17) N6,800
Miscellaneous cost average N29,000 per month
It is important to weigh a sample of birds every week to check on their progress in growth
This is the summary of average weight:
31/07/2017 @ 19 weeks old bird weight is 1,080grams growth of 133 grams
07/08/2017 @ 20 weeks old bird weight is 1,118grams growth of 38 grams
14/08/2017 @ 21 weeks old bird weight is 1,276grams growth of 158 grams.
Increase fed to 98 bags of grower weekly (That is 14 bags per day) @ N3,400 each = N333,200

Beautiful work, bro. I am working on a poultry management desktop software. It might automate your tasks better than excel sheets.

5 Likes

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by buffalowings: 4:04pm On Aug 28, 2017
lucrownt:

True talk
But we never know
Maybe op is one rich motherfucker grin

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Freewt: 4:05pm On Aug 28, 2017
Wow I love Poultry
Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 28, 2017
Nukualofa:
They will term you hater but we need to seek advice before taking investment decisions
It's normal to be chastised for being truthful and objective.. In order to succeed in life you must be criticized...

1 Like

Re: My Egg Poultry Farming Experience As A New Farmer by Kizyte(m): 4:06pm On Aug 28, 2017
FemiFemola:
7 million and no income yet? Ha.
Bro, patience is the key to making big genuine money.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How to Build A Grasscutter Cage / Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria / Somebody Poisoned Our Farm.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.