Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:27 AM

We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan (5542 Views)

Electricity Generation Rises Again To 4,656 Megawatts / Nigeria To Generate 7,000 Megawatts Of Electricity By 2014 - NERC Chairman / 10,000 Megawatts To Be Generated By Dec – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by Beaf: 3:35am On Feb 23, 2010
biina:
It is nothing personal, but I get pissed at everyone who are clueless about the power sector coming online to proffer solutions like they were experts in the field, while the only thing they know about the problem is that they dont have light at home.

You are only pissed off at being shown up after claiming know-all status. grin grin grin

You have been making two deadly mistakes;
1. You pretend to know things you don’t and are dismissive when you are countered
2. You assume that you can’t possibly be talking to an expert

Most of your last post is just an attempt to confuse people with words and emptiness. You didn’t make a single worthwhile counter argument. I will deal with a couple of things I can sift from the largely meaningless post.

biina:
You talk about solar energy, do u know what the expected power output per unit area is, particularly  in the south? Have you thought about the capital cost and lifespan of the installation?

Why don’t Europeans consider that in their heavy investments in solar power? They get much less solar energy than us; we sit on the bloody equator. Some Northern European countries even have months of darkness (pick up your geography book). I guess they must be "daft".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Spain

biina:
Did you think about how much power power you can generate from wind turbines, at what wind speeds they are feasible, and if we have such wind speeds in Nigeria?

Have you ever been to the beach? You will notice that there are always strong winds blowing, even at ground level.

biina:
Have considered the environmental and cost for the auxiliary items, particularly batteries, that go with this irregular sources?

Mr know-all, what makes you think that any alternative power systems require batteries? Have you heard about heat storage? You might want to look that up, as well as their practical applications like storage heaters. Storing heat efficiently is very cheap.

biina:
Did you think about the status of waste transportation and processing in Nigeria before suggesting Bio energy and did you consider the efficiency of the system?

Everybody has a septic tank and a soakaway pit. They can generate electricity from waste food and human waste right where they are produced. . . Transport what?

biina:
Do you know what a power profile is, the importance of peak to average ratio in power generation, and how the residential and industrial area complements each other, before suggesting you allocate one to individuals and the other to the government?
Which do you think is more important - industrial/commercial or residential needs? It is the industrial, and yet you want to allocate same to a government you claim is incapable of providing the needed supply?

. . .Unnecessary English.

biina:
Free what? Will you get the solar cells for free? Do you know that the total average cost/watt for all this techhnology are much higher than fossil fuels, and even worse in a place like Nigeria when the NG is practically free?

Mr Know-all, why do you think the only way to generate electricity from sunlight is with solar cells?
It is so important not to be a technological dinosaur and keep up with developments. Have you ever heard of thermoacoustic heat engines? They are much more efficient than solar cells, they are also very cheap, extremely reliable, easy to manufacture and will provide a source of living for Nigerians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoacoustic_hot_air_engine
http://www.lanl.gov/thermoacoustics/

biina:
All these examples you point to, where has solar been used as a primary source of power? Do we not have solar installations in Nigeria?

Now your negativity surfaces.

The Spanish government is committed to achieving a target of 12 percent of primary energy from renewable energy by 2010 with an installed solar generating capacity of 3000 megawatts (MW).” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Spain

. . .That sounds like all of Nigeria’s current power output as solar energy in a European country!

biina:
Wave power is unrelated to bar beach overflowing. Yet I doubt you have looked at the current state, pros and cons of the technology you are suggesting.

Simple physics says that when you take away some of the oceans energy, there will be less damage caused when it breaches shores, in fact it might never have enough left to flood the place anymore. Simple physics.

biina:
For your information, demographics goes a long way in planning power delivery. The US has a region based grid system and each region is bigger than Nigeria. The problems facing India is different from that facing Nigeria, and also that facing large land masses like Russia and China. That you cannot recognize that transmission losses grow exponential when grid sizes exceed certain sizes is not my fault.

When you decentralise, what would be the use of a grid, except to deliver energy to industrial areas or excess domestic requirements? The grid gets de-emphasised in many ways. Let that be your homework.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by Nobody: 3:57am On Feb 23, 2010
Binna wants to keep doing the same thing and expect a totally different result
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by bawomolo(m): 4:41am On Feb 23, 2010
agathamari:

nigeria is near the equator and as such is prime of solar power, you have a desert where few people live, instead of complaining how you cant farm there turn it into a solar feild.  you have a coast line - use tidal generators.  a huge river- hydroelectric plants.  hell even wind turbines.  invest in bio-diesel.  gasoline is not the solution to the problem, when it runs out where will you be?

Bio-diesel is expensive to synthesize and doesn't have as much heating value as say coal or gasoline.

I hope you do realize hydroelectric plants typically mean the creation of dams and well dams typically displace people or affect agriculture.   sources of hydro-energy such as lake chad are rapidly shrinking so its not as if we are abundant in that either.   I still see coal plants with carbon capture as a good idea.

CHP (co-generation) systems should also be encouraged.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by becomricch: 4:50am On Feb 23, 2010
first of all is Jonathan an engineer that can solve the problem. No. Is the minister an electrical engineer that can solve the problem.  Why those of us that know the solution. You dont want us to be there. How do you think you can solve the problem. Do you think beaf and his nonsense can solve it. I use to give idea before. but now, I do not give sure idea. Expect I get paid. It is called consultancy and implementation.  I have been given the ideas before, but what i discovered is that they would quickly go and give their brother or sister and steal the money. So what is the need.

now what is Dora doing in the ministry of information and telecomunication. the other person in the ministry of power. you can not give a non engineer , engineering jobs.  The minister of information and telecommunication and powers , works and housing must be engineers all the time.   If Jonathan is serious , he should remove people who are minister in engineering position and give them to engineers. This is one of the solution.   I know the solution.   wumiabo here is my email nigeriamail@hotmail.com
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by biina: 5:55am On Feb 23, 2010
Beaf:

You are only pissed off at being shown up after claiming know-all status. grin grin grin

You have been making two deadly mistakes;
1. You pretend to know things you don’t and are dismissive when you are countered
2. You assume that you can’t possibly be talking to an expert

Most of your last post is just an attempt to confuse people with words and emptiness. You didn’t make a single worthwhile counter argument. I will deal with a couple of things I can sift from the largely meaningless post.
I dont pretend to know things that I dont, but I am dismissive of nonsensical suggestions, and from the first post you made, I am very sure you are no expert.

Why don’t Europeans consider that in their heavy investments in solar power? They get much less solar energy than us; we sit on the bloody equator. Some Northern European countries even have months of darkness (pick up your geography book). I guess they must be "daft".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Spain
The primary reason Europeans are investing heavily in solar and other renewable energy sources is not because it is economical, rather its is because most of them dont have accessible fossil fuels and don't like being held to ransom by the oil & gas producing countries, and, environmental concerns.
You are yet to tell us those countries that are heavily dependent on Solar energy, after all, if it such a brilliant idea, others should have considered it giving that solar energy is not a new development.

Have you ever been to the beach? You will notice that there are always strong winds blowing, even at ground level.
I know there are winds at the beach, I have only asked you to provide figures that make you think it is a viable source of energy and by the way, will we all have to buy a piece of land on the beach?

Mr know-all, what makes you think that any alternative power systems require batteries? Have you heard about heat storage? You might want to look that up, as well as their practical applications like storage heaters. Storing heat efficiently is very cheap.
The most efficient way to convert to/fro from electrical energy is the battery. That is why you dont use hot water/salt for your computer UPS! Heat storage is only more efficient when your final target form is the heat, like in water or space heating.

Everybody has a septic tank and a soakaway pit. They can generate electricity from waste food and human waste right where they are produced. . . Transport what?
So we should all start pumping out our unprocessed septic tanks. Thanks for the health concerns. When you are more familiar with bio fuel processing, we can revisit this.

. . .Unnecessary English.
I take it you have no idea of what I was talking about.  undecided

Mr Know-all, why do you think the only way to generate electricity from sunlight is with solar cells?
You made reference to our solar radiation levels and I pointed you to the applicable technology.

It is so important not to be a technological dinosaur and keep up with developments. Have you ever heard of thermoacoustic heat engines? They are much more efficient than solar cells, they are also very cheap, extremely reliable, easy to manufacture and will provide a source of living for Nigerians.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoacoustic_hot_air_engine
http://www.lanl.gov/thermoacoustics/
Thermoacoustic engines are used to convert between heat and sound. In your solar case you would want to convert the sound produced into electricity using a piezoelectric or similar device that produce an EMF in response to pressure. The efficiency of the system is very low, with recent research results producing just 100W from 2800W of heat. i.e. 3.5% efficiency, while solar cells are typically around 12%

Now your negativity surfaces.

The Spanish government is committed to achieving a target of 12 percent of primary energy from renewable energy by 2010 with an installed solar generating capacity of 3000 megawatts (MW).” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Spain

. . .That sounds like all of Nigeria’s current power output as solar energy in a European country!
So a target of 12% for all renewable energy sources is major?
1. Spain has the most sunshine of all european countries and subsequently they are the fourth largest producer of solar energy
2. The 3GW solar output is less than 3% of Spain's electricity demand
So if 12% is coming from renewable sources (solar, wind etc), where are they getting the remaining 88% from? why arent they getting the 100% from solar? undecided

Simple physics says that when you take away some of the oceans energy, there will be less damage caused when it breaches shores, in fact it might never have enough left to flood the place anymore. Simple physics.
Unfortunately it is not that simple. The problem with the bar beach has as much to do with the topography of the beach itself as the force exerted by the wave. Secondly, the fraction of wave energy extracted is minimal and local i.e. the generator is a small unit that causes diffraction of the irregular wave, it does not mean a substantial change in force of the wave at the front.
I have not seen any research that correlated wave intensity at beach fronts to the installation of wave power generators, and I dont see how it would. Its like saying installing a wind wave reduces the amount of wind blowing.

When you decentralise, what would be the use of a grid, except to deliver energy to industrial areas or excess domestic requirements? The grid gets de-emphasised in many ways. Let that be your homework.
So there will be no grid in your decentralized system? I guess you dont know the purpose of the grid itself.
Quite an 'interesting' idea though. Please indulge me and describe in detail how this your decentralized system will work. A few questions to start us off
1. Will each individual house be responsible for its own power generation? if yes, how much do you estimate the average home will consume and which sources do you intend to use to meet this demand. Please provide cost estimates.
2. Will the industries and commercial users also have decentralized power generation or will the government still be supplying them off the grid?
3. How do you intend to get excess generation to domestic consumers who are no longer on the grid?
4. What about small scale industries and companies that are not collocated in industrial areas?
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by biina: 5:56am On Feb 23, 2010
mikeansy:

Binna wants to keep doing the same thing and expect a totally different result
At no point have I said PHCN should remain as it is. I simply disagree with the notion of 'decentralization'.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by biina: 6:08am On Feb 23, 2010
PapaBrowne:

Ah Ah Biina!!Why are your ideologies so 60s!
How on the planet can you be against privatisation/decentralisation in the power sector in a country where Government has failed in every sector it has engaged in while the private sector keeps thriving! MTel is Government and Glo is private. Thats enough of an example!
privatization does not equal decentralization. You should stop equating telecoms to the power sector, they are two different sectors with different needs. Most importantly is that you can never make the power sector a truly competitive market.

First, the Government lacks the will, the structure nor the intellectual capacity to provide adequate power for the country. Over 10 billion dollars has been spent and we are still talking about 2700MW! Doesn't that tell you already that neither the Government nor PHCN would be able to provide the power we need?
First step would be to make the PHCN autonomous and split its various phases.

Beaf and a couple other folks on here are pointing you to the future and you re arguing backwards!
Future? what evidence do you have to support your claim that this is the way forward? Has it worked somewhere?
That a technology exist does not mean that it is a viable solution in a particular situation.
Why dont you suggest that we start using electric cars, as we are always having fuel scarcity. After all electric cars are becoming popular in developed countries undecided

The world is looking for ways to limit grid dependence, luckily we have already perfected the art of off grid living by powering our homes with  generators.
Who is limiting grid dependence? seeking renewable source of energy is different from trying to decentralize the power system. Can you tell me one developed country that doesn't have a grid? or do you think they are all stupid?

The government can take this further  by enacting legislation which would ensure that every newly built house would have solar roof tops and other possible sources of alternative energy.
So who will pay for the investments in these solar cells or all the other renewable sources? what  is the cost to benefit analysis that you have done that convinced you that it is a viable route or do you suggest we be doing trial and error? You guys should get off the renewable energy kool-aid.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by Beaf: 6:46am On Feb 23, 2010
biina: Thermoacoustic engines are used to convert between heat and sound. In your solar case you would want to convert the sound produced into electricity using a piezoelectric or similar device that produce an EMF in response to pressure. The efficiency of the system is very low, with recent research results producing just 100W from 2800W of heat. i.e. 3.5% efficiency, while solar cells are typically around 12%

What a ridiculous statement from our "expert"! shocked
Stop posing, you are only wounding yourself and talking rubbish with confidence.
There is no point addressing the tonnes of verbage you dropped to confuse the unwary, I'll just finish you off with this;

"With a wire screen [10] or parallel-plate [11] regenerator, the engine of Fig. 5 has produced acoustic power of 710 W or 1750 W, respectively, each with an [size=14pt]efficiency of 30%[/size]."

http://www.lanl.gov/thermoacoustics/Pubs/ICSV9.pdf - Los Alamos National Lab (you might want to stop here to educate yourself on the origins of the atomic bomb). Even the earlier link I posted said they are as efficient as an internam combustion engine. Where in God's good name did you get 3.5% from? Youtube? grin

That would be something like 3 times more efficient than your run of the mill solar cell and bloody cheaper too. Damn!  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Expert, Mr Know-all. . .

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by biina: 7:26am On Feb 23, 2010
Beaf:

What a ridiculous statement from our "expert"! shocked
Stop posing, you are only wounding yourself and talking rubbish with confidence.
There is no point addressing the tonnes of verbage you dropped to confuse the unwary, I'll just finish you off with this;

"With a wire screen [10] or parallel-plate [11] regenerator, the engine of[b] Fig. 5 has produced acoustic power of 710 W or 1750 W[/b], respectively, each with an [size=14pt]efficiency of 30%[/size]."

http://www.lanl.gov/thermoacoustics/Pubs/ICSV9.pdf - Los Alamos National Lab (you might want to stop here to educate yourself on the origins of the atomic bomb). Even the earlier link I posted said they are as efficient as an internam combustion engine. Where in God's good name did you get 3.5% from? Youtube? grin

That would be something like 3 times more efficient than your run of the mill solar cell and bloody cheaper too. Damn!  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Expert, Mr Know-all. . .
and you just had to show your ignorance.  undecided
Havent you heard that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Question for you: does your TV or computer run off acoustic (sound) energy?  undecided
How much of your input heat gets to the heat exchanger?  undecided
How much electricity can you get from your acoustic power?  undecided

FYI There is a difference between a Thermoacoustic system and a ThermoAcoustic Electric Generator, TAEG. A TAEG is what you would use to convert  from heat via sound to electricity. A Thermoacoustic system is just a part of it. When you talk about efficiency, you look at the entire system and not just a component.

while you a busy deriding urself on a 2002 paper on thermoacoustics, here is a more recent (2008) result on a LA based TAEG  http://www.springerlink.com/content/y33h67h067146367/fulltext.pdf

From the paper:

Under 2800 W heating power, different output  electrical power could be obtained by varying the resistance of the rheostat. When Z = 100 , 97 W electrical power was obtained in the experiment.

You can compare Figure 1 in the new paper to Figure 5 in your original paper and see what happens to the bulk of your acoustic energy (wouldnt advise that you read the entire paper).

So what is 97/2800W?  undecided

This is not your field of expertise and I really don't understand why you continue your futile attempts at pretending otherwise.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by lordbayor(m): 7:47am On Feb 23, 2010
Interesting discussion but lets keep the argument healthy and respectful.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by Beaf: 8:36am On Feb 23, 2010
biina:

and you just had to show your ignorance.  undecided
Havent you heard that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Question for you: does your TV or computer run off acoustic (sound) energy?  undecided
How much of your input heat gets to the heat exchanger?  undecided
How much electricity can you get from your acoustic power?  undecided

FYI There is a difference between a Thermoacoustic system and a ThermoAcoustic Electric Generator, TAEG. A TAEG is what you would use to convert  from heat via sound to electricity. A Thermoacoustic system is just a part of it. When you talk about efficiency, you look at the entire system and not just a component.

while you a busy deriding urself on a 2002 paper on thermoacoustics, here is a more recent (2008) result on a LA based TAEG  http://www.springerlink.com/content/y33h67h067146367/fulltext.pdf

From the paper:

Under 2800 W heating power, different output  electrical power could be obtained by varying the resistance of the rheostat. When Z = 100 , 97 W electrical power was obtained in the experiment.

You can compare Figure 1 in the new paper to Figure 5 in your original paper and see what happens to the bulk of your acoustic energy (wouldnt advise that you read the entire paper).

So what is 97/2800W?  undecided

This is not your field of expertise and I really don't understand why you continue your futile attempts at pretending otherwise.

Charlie, stop disgracing yourself! Damn!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
You love talking, don't you? I'm not a talker.
You are talking more crap. You convert your energy into electricity through the piezoelectric effect. Its all neat and efficient.
I've taught you something new in thermoacoustics today (a word that you had never heard about), now you want to start blabbing about stuff you've glanced at and don't understand. Today, you have learnt that you can convert solar energy to electricity (that would have increased your brain cells by at least one  grin), it is your duty to go and read up on thermoacoustics, because that is the future (not your batteries and solar cells).

I am a bit late in the delivery of a technology website I promised here on NL, but I will release enough stuff there to shame one way thinkers and willing dinosaurs like yourself.

Mr Know-all who knows nothing. shocked

. . .If I say more, I might blow your mind.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by biina: 9:07am On Feb 23, 2010
Beaf:

Charlie, stop disgracing yourself! Damn!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
You love talking, don't you? I'm not a talker.
You are talking more crap. You convert your energy into electricity through the piezoelectric effect. Its all neat and efficient.
Can you please provide your technical source (not wikipedia) that has shown that piezo-electric crystals can be combined efficiently to a thermoacoustic generator and state its capacity and efficiency? undecided
FYI the two main forms of acoustic to electrical energy conversion used in TAEGs are magneto-hydrodynamic and linear alternator.

I've taught you something new in thermoacoustics today (a word that you had never heard about), now you want to start blabbing about stuff you've glanced at and don't understand. Today, you have learnt that you can convert solar energy to electricity (that would have increased your brain cells by at least one  grin), it is your duty to go and read up on thermoacoustics, because that is the future (not your batteries and solar cells).
By the nature of my job, I learn new things everyday, but not from the likes of you in this field. Possibly there are other fields in which you are quite knowledgeable, as who knows, the sun shines even on a dog's behind once in a while undecided

I am a bit late in the delivery of a technology website I promised here on NL, but I will release enough stuff there to shame one way thinkers and willing dinosaurs like yourself.

Mr Know-all who knows nothing. shocked

. . .If I say more, I might blow your mind.
I am sure to anyone who knows anything about electrical power and energy/power generation, it is clear who the charlatan is.

That you have failed to respond to my questions on your proposed 'decentralized' solution just underlines the point I made earlier, that you think you know what you don't know.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by agathamari(f): 11:46am On Feb 23, 2010
bawomolo:

Bio-diesel is expensive to synthesize and doesn't have as much heating value as say coal or gasoline.

I hope you do realize hydroelectric plants typically mean the creation of dams and well dams typically displace people or affect agriculture.   sources of hydro-energy such as lake chad are rapidly shrinking so its not as if we are abundant in that either.   I still see coal plants with carbon capture as a good idea.

CHP (co-generation) systems should also be encouraged.
biodiesel made from recycled veg oil is $0.85 - $1.00 a gallon to produce.   many people in the us have the equipment to do it themselves.  im talking alge prodution (even cheaper) which produces both biodiesl as well as methane both can be used in power generation or sold internationaly using the funds to develope the power sector. 

yes i know fully well that damns or locks are required for hydro-electric plants, im not a child.  a lock system though not producing the power in quantities as a damn would, causes minimal disruption to people or water sources though it may cause issues with internal shipping lanes
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by zenus(m): 2:24pm On Feb 23, 2010
Let's wait and see
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by Beaf: 2:29pm On Feb 23, 2010
biina: I am sure to anyone who knows anything about electrical power and energy/power generation, it is clear who the charlatan is.

That you have failed to respond to my questions on your proposed 'decentralized' solution just underlines the point I made earlier, that you think you know what you don't know.

Seriously, I have ignored a lot of your questions and arguments, because most would win the trophy for daftness (and I just can't be bothered). Take this one for example;

Unfortunately it is not that simple. The problem with the bar beach has as much to do with the topography of the beach itself as the force exerted by the wave. Secondly, the fraction of wave energy extracted is minimal and local i.e. the generator is a small unit that causes diffraction of the irregular wave, it does not mean a substantial change in force of the wave at the front.
I have not seen any research that correlated wave intensity at beach fronts to the installation of wave power generators, and I dont see how it would. Its like saying installing a wind wave reduces the amount of wind blowing.

Even a secondary school student with the most rudimentary knowledge of physics would know that, when you take energy out of a system, it remains taken out. Wave power plants can reduce the power of waves on the shore. In fact, several systems are designed for that exact purpose. Here are some answers for you. [size=14pt]Olodo![/size] grin grin grin grin grin

"The Mighty Whale is a floating OWC that has the double purpose of extracting wave
energy and providing a calm waters area behind it. It was tested in the Tokyo Bay until
May 2002, being dismantled afterwards."

http://www.wave-energy.net/Library/WaveNet%20Full%20Report(11.1).pdf

"Devices that are on-shore can have environmental benefits, such as helping to reduce the erosion of the landscape. Any devices off shore can have an effect on the aquatic life in that area but this again is very site specific and hard to predict. But anchoring systems can become almost like artificial reefs, creating a place for new colonisation."
http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/EandE/Web_sites/01-02/RE_info/wave%20power.htm (University of Strathclyde in Glasgow)

"During standard operation Pelamis machines will be extracting energy from the sea state (and turning it into electricity) which will result in a reduction of wave energy in the direct lee of the project."
http://www.pelamiswave.com/content.php?id=154

"Thus while a noticeably calmer area might develop immediately in the lee of an ofshore wave power plant, the waves would be substantially re-established by diffraction 3 to 4 km shoreward of the plant"
http://oceanenergy.epri.com/attachments/wave/reports/007_Wave_Envr_Issues_Rpt.pdf

Wave power can indeed save bar beach with the added benefit of generating electricity.
But, left to dinosaurs like you, the Earth would be flat.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by otondo55: 2:35pm On Feb 23, 2010
I cant wait to see this power improvement

Carry on Mr President !

Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by sauwal: 3:31pm On Feb 23, 2010
??
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by Ben13: 3:41pm On Feb 23, 2010
He's even boasting 'bout 6000MW. . .I wonder what that will take care of.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by HeroKing: 3:59pm On Feb 23, 2010
Energy Experts in the house,

While the debate was going on, Nigerians are hungry; hungry for power. What is the solution, which way forward? Please advise us in simple terms. Who knows, some decision makers are on Nairaland, believe me.

So long,
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by Gekko(m): 4:00pm On Feb 23, 2010
Im no expert on these matters but shouldn't we be looking for the next trend so we cant beat and stay ahead of the curve.

checkout this new breakthrough in clean energy technology :  http://www.bloomenergy.com/

the small box in this guys hand can power one american home or 2 European homes using fuel cells

the company officially launches tomorrow and companies like Fedex, google, ebay are already utilizing this new technology
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by solajacobs(m): 4:14pm On Feb 23, 2010
we dey wait
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by Feraz(m): 4:21pm On Feb 23, 2010
I once created a thread on how 2 generate constant supply of electricity. U cud check it
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=323322.msg4541157#msg4541157
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by PurestBoy(m): 4:26pm On Feb 23, 2010
What has actually become of becomricch pasting maps anytime any discussion comes up?
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by kokoye(m): 5:12pm On Feb 23, 2010
Na wa for all the 'experts' on this thread.

I actually thought I knw a thing or two about electricity generation.

I was wronging grin

hope all these ideas make it to the right place.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by TPS360: 5:18pm On Feb 23, 2010
Just the same old same story we have been hearing for the last 50 years, I sincerely hope that we dont keep hearing this same rhetoric in the next 50 years, keep lying Jonathan, your luck will soon run out.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by biina: 5:23pm On Feb 23, 2010
Beaf:

Seriously, I have ignored a lot of your questions and arguments, because most would win the trophy for daftness (and I just can't be bothered). Take this one for example;
meaning you couldnt find counter arguments.

Even a secondary school student with the most rudimentary knowledge of physics would know that, when you take energy out of a system, it remains taken out. Wave power plants can reduce the power of waves on the shore. In fact, several systems are designed for that exact purpose. Here are some answers for you. [size=14pt]Olodo![/size] grin grin grin grin grin
Even a secondary school student should know the meaning of x>>y

"The Mighty Whale is a floating OWC that has the double purpose of extracting wave
energy and providing a calm waters area behind it. It was tested in the Tokyo Bay until
May 2002, being dismantled afterwards."

http://www.wave-energy.net/Library/WaveNet%20Full%20Report(11.1).pdf

"Devices that are on-shore can have environmental benefits, such as helping to reduce the erosion of the landscape. Any devices off shore can have an effect on the aquatic life in that area but this again is very site specific and hard to predict. But anchoring systems can become almost like artificial reefs, creating a place for new colonisation."
http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/EandE/Web_sites/01-02/RE_info/wave%20power.htm (University of Strathclyde in Glasgow)

"During standard operation Pelamis machines will be extracting energy from the sea state (and turning it into electricity) which will result in a reduction of wave energy in the direct lee of the project."
http://www.pelamiswave.com/content.php?id=154

"Thus while a noticeably calmer area might develop immediately in the lee of an ofshore wave power plant, the waves would be substantially re-established by diffraction 3 to 4 km shoreward of the plant"
http://oceanenergy.epri.com/attachments/wave/reports/007_Wave_Envr_Issues_Rpt.pdf

Wave power can indeed save bar beach with the added benefit of generating electricity.
But, left to dinosaurs like you, the Earth would be flat.
For on shore devices it is a moot point, as sections of the beach are replaced by the generators. You no longer have your beach. Yet this does not stop a tidal rise and subsequent erosion,
For offshore devices the effect is local (and i have already stated this). The bold part of your posts supports this. In fact the last ref you quoted summarizes it well.
When you have hard evidence, and not conjectures,you can then claim to be right.
So, No, there is no 'indeed' in it.

I am still waiting for you to provide details and/or answers to my question on your 'decentralization' solution  undecided
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by kobikwelu(m): 5:31pm On Feb 23, 2010
all these na long thing.

the best way to be able to generate much more than we need is by going nuclear.

the way nigeria is and if we are to grow, we need 20,000mw minimum
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by Parnassuss(m): 5:47pm On Feb 23, 2010
Damn, @ Beaf, this is true beef! Damn, you categorically killed him. I don't know bout the technicality of the system but i remember reading bout our power potential in some book bout Africa's potentials, even some NGO situated in the UK tried to foment enthusiasm 4 solar in Naija, saying it was too appropriate. But I'm sure Biina must have his points. Spar on, nerds. undecided
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by biina: 6:00pm On Feb 23, 2010
A bit off topic, but just to shed light on why WG are not going to solve the bar beach problem, here is a report that gives a brief outline of the problem as at 2002
http://iodeweb1.vliz.be/odin/bitstream/1834/540/1/AssWA_BB2002.pdf
On shore WG will not stop ocean storms, and the increased interference from WC installations could actually make things worse.
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by otawa: 6:04pm On Feb 23, 2010
When will you guys learn that problem with Nigeria is not lack of technology, experts etc.

It is simply a set of people that 'wait' for GOD all the time.

Mr Obasanjo spent $10billion and result is ZERO.

Bring your solar, nuclear technology, the next Mr President will still spend another $10billion and you wont see result!

Until we follow 'developed countries' examples(wipe out the people that stops you), we will never progress!
Re: We Must Achieve 6,000 Megawatts – Jonathan by bawomolo(m): 6:54pm On Feb 23, 2010
biodiesel made from recycled veg oil is $0.85 - $1.00 a gallon to produce. many people in the us have the equipment to do it thiemselves. im talking alge prodution (even cheaper) which produces both biodiesl as well as methane both can be used in power generation or sold internationaly using the funds to develope the power sector.

oh really, and what is the quality and heating value of this biodiesel? the efficiency? I doubt the product cost is that cheap.
as per algae production, do you think we have the space needed to cultivate algae or some sea weed en mass?

yes i know fully well that damns or locks are required for hydroelectric plants, im not a child. a lock system though not producing the power in quantities as a damn would, causees minimal disruption to people or water sorces though it may cause issues with internal shipping lanes

oh i didn't call you a child.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jos: 3 Killed, 2 Wounded, 19 Youths Arrested In Fresh Attack / 32 Countries Of Less Than 40 Million People With Bigger Budget Than Nigeria. / Gov Wike Bans Chelsea Fans In Rivers State Due To Noise Pollution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.