Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,118 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop (4581 Views)

Nigerians Will Soon Commend Jonathan For His Sincerity Of Purpose In Gov–dokpesi / Most Dangerous Special Forces Of The World. See How Your Country’s Army Looks !! / In Ghana: 200 Nigerians will spend Yuletide in jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Eddeux(m): 1:25am On Feb 25, 2010
[color=#006600]Cause you know, we Black Americans can't be the only successful black folks in this world forever smiley. Yes you could argue that my people on average make smaller salaries than whites, have huge crime rates, yada yada. But our annual $744 billion and growing income combined still trumps the entire GDP of South Africa (Africa's leading economy). I'm not trying to bash Nigerians (or other Africans) just giving an example.

I've become fairly interested in Nigeria lately (since early last year), and over the time have learned a fair amount of Nigeria's political, cultural, and geographical history (even subscribed to Nigerianwebradio, cause you know we don't hear anything African besides Akon in America  sad ). Did you know that your country is listed in the 'next 11' group of emerging economies, and is predicted to have a GDP higher than France (my other must visit country) by 2050? Or is expected to have one of the world's 'fastest growing construction mmarkets' this decade? OR will aapparentlybecome Africa's largest economy by 2013 (this one sounds fishy)? I can provide proof to any of this if you doubt me! But how will any of this happen if Nigerians are so negative about anything good about your country (from what I've seen on this website)? Is it b/c the international media doesn't know the true conditions of your country, and everything they talk of is rubbish? Either the people take action and try to improve the state of your country, or the Nigerian government flips a Meiji Restoration in 10 years. It could happen if your VP. now acting prez, Jonathan does somethingabout it, and if this whole 'flipping presidency' between north & south crap stops (cause it's dumb and a country which modeled its constitution after America shouldn't practice!)

I will still visit and possibly even love Nigeria someday even if it never develops, but just saying not all foreigners believe the stereotypes (corrupt, poor, 409ers, etc.) and yes to sound like a stereotypical dumb American, 5 years ago I thought Nigeria was somewhere in SE Asia  shocked
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by mamagee3(f): 2:05am On Feb 25, 2010
Poster. . .
Would your brain ever develop?
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Eddeux(m): 2:11am On Feb 25, 2010
HEY, don't hate!  cool
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Fhemmmy: 2:16am On Feb 25, 2010
Na wa oh . . . . .so much writtings on the wall.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by oyinda3(f): 3:28am On Feb 26, 2010
and if this whole 'flipping presidency' between north & south crap stops (cause it's dumb and a country which modeled its constitution after America shouldn't practice!)

and u say you've learned a fair amount of Nigerian history? undecided all i have to say is that u've got a whole lot more to learn.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Eddeux(m): 3:38am On Feb 26, 2010
oyinda, no need to get feisty. the flipping presidency thing is dumb. Your country re-achieved democracy for the what 4th or 5th time after Obasanjo came into power in '98, and once again your constitution is a carbon copy of the U.S. constitution, and no where in ours does it state that the presidency should be flipped between the Northern (generally wealthier) and southern states (a lil' poorer). I understand Nigeria is home to over 250 ethnic groups but that's no excuse for the fipping presidency. TRUE democracies don't have this.

BESIDES, YOU SHOULD BE FLATTERED A FOREIGNER ACTUALLY TOOK INTEREST IN YOUR COUNTRY. Like I originally said, most Americans don't give a flying f*ck about it.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by oyinda3(f): 3:49am On Feb 26, 2010
Eddeux:

oyinda, no need to get feisty. the flipping presidency thing is dumb. Your country re-achieved democracy for the what 4th or 5th time after Obasanjo came into power in '98, and once again your constitution is a carbon copy of the U.S. constitution, and no where in ours does it state that the presidency should be flipped between the Northern (generally wealthier) and southern states (a lil' poorer). I understand Nigeria is home to over 250 ethnic groups but that's no excuse for the fipping presidency. TRUE democracies don't have this.

BESIDES, YOU SHOULD BE FLATTERED A FOREIGNER ACTUALLY TOOK INTEREST IN YOUR COUNTRY. Like I originally said, most Americans don't give a flying bleep about it.

1. our nation is NOT a carbon copy of the U.S. even if the constitutions are similar. no it is not a carbon copy and can never be.
2. there is no such thing as TRUE democracy. each country has it's own forms of democracy. although more powerful countries always impose their own ways and promote it as the "true" or "better" way, which then creates complications.
3.we may have 250 ethnic groups but we have 3 major ones. and the history is VERY DEEP. you will call it dumb only if u are ignorant abt it.
4. we have lots of foreign interest in our country. usually negative interests that we do not care for at all!!! MandingoII comes to mind. search for his username. he is AA like u.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Eddeux(m): 4:00am On Feb 26, 2010
1. our nation is NOT a carbon copy of the U.S. even if the constitutions are similar. no it is not a carbon copy and can never be.

intead of arguing with me over that, why not answer my question? WHEN WILL YOUR COUNTRY DEVELOP? .

2. there is no such thing as TRUE democracy. each country has it's own forms of democracy. although more powerful countries always impose their own ways and promote it as the "true" or "better" way, which then creates complications.3.we may have 250 ethnic groups but we have 3 major ones. and the history is VERY DEEP. you will call it dumb only if u are ignorant abt it.   

ur right, but that doesn't excuse the fact that Nigeria is FAR from democracy. What will it take to realize this? I mean even President Obama skipped out on a trip to the 'giant of Africa' during his visit, so if getting snubbed by the world's most powerful man isn't enough, what is?
4. we have lots of foreign interest in our country. usually negative interests that we do not care for at all!!! MandingoII comes to mind. search for his username. he is AA like u
but your leaders care, and they're the ones pullling the strings. I've seen some of MandingoII's post, and no offense but they were pretty funny. That doesn't mean I agree w/ him though. He came to troll, I've come to give my opinion which I can BACK UP.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by oyinda3(f): 4:07am On Feb 26, 2010
Eddeux:

intead of arguing with me over that, why not answer my question? WHEN WILL YOUR COUNTRY DEVELOP? .

your right, but that doesn't excuse the fact that Nigeria is FAR from democracy. What will it take to realize this? I mean even President Obama skipped out on a trip to the 'giant of Africa' during his visit, so if getting snubbed by the world's most powerful man isn't enough, what is?but your leaders care, and they're the ones pullling the strings. I've seen some of MandingoII's post, and no offense but they were pretty funny. That doesn't mean I agree w/ him though. He came to troll, I've come to give my opinion which I can BACK UP. 

that question "when/how will nigeria develop" is a good question. lol i would be a trillionaire if i knew the answer.

and who cares if Obama doesn't visit Nigeria what positive difference would his visit make anyways? clinton visited previously when he was president and I don't think our nation is any better because of it. lol he is not God.

but anyways, i think naija will be better if we had better leadership for sure and more transparency in our govt.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Nobody: 4:59am On Feb 26, 2010
quote of the year:

People just post different topics, relevant and irrelevant topic and it is making nairaland boring
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Justcash(m): 8:17am On Feb 26, 2010
No! We cannot develop as Nigeria!!!
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Veritas09: 8:18am On Feb 26, 2010
I don't believe that you've researched this country's situation or history to the extent that you say you have, otherwise you wouldn't be making such naive statements.

Let's be clear on something that most people would have picked up on in Political Science 101 - a nation's GDP can -- in NO way -- serve as a clear marker of its development or progress. The second highest GDP, one of the world's greatest oil producers, and 50% of the population well beneath the poverty levels -- obviously a true understanding of this requires more than just an understanding of figures.

Good for you for having read-up on Nigeria -- really, any and all genuine interest is appreciated. But I don't understand where you got the idea -- particularly after having read about the political situation -- that the country is in any state to develop. You say Nigerians should feel flattered that you're so interested, but I would say that your current knowledge is superficial at best.

Don't just read -- try to understand as well.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by semid4lyfe(m): 12:16pm On Feb 26, 2010
Why bother with a dumb a$$ who until 5 years ago thought Nigeria was in South East Asia? Poster, go w@nk if you've got nothing better to do.
Typical dumb American. . . . . Shioor!
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by calico(m): 2:02pm On Feb 26, 2010
ur brain needs to enlarge more,
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Horus(m): 2:15pm On Feb 26, 2010
Of course Nigeria will develop. The Nigerian economy is doing very well and the latest figures released by the Central Bank of Nigeria indicates that growth is still going on at six or even close to seven percent this year and next year will even be higher.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by asha80(m): 2:33pm On Feb 26, 2010
Horus:

Of course Nigeria will develop. The Nigerian economy is doing very well and the latest figures released by the Central Bank of Nigeria indicates that growth is still going on at six or even close to seven percent this year and next year will even be higher.

Are you living in nigera You are quoting CBN?
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by RichyBlacK(m): 2:44pm On Feb 26, 2010
I wonder why fellow Nigerians get all defensive and annoying when asked real honest questions about Nigeria's development?

Until we start being honest about our real problems, to whomever is interested in listening, Nigeria will remain on that familiar path to nothingness.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by oderemo(m): 2:45pm On Feb 26, 2010
BESIDES, YOU SHOULD BE FLATTERED A FOREIGNER ACTUALLY TOOK INTEREST IN YOUR COUNTRY. Like I originally said, most Americans don't give a flying bleep about it.

Christopher Columbus is a damn b@st@rt liar. by u.Roy  comes to mind go and listen to that song on u tube ,at least that is Ame. creation.  grin ;
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Veritas09: 3:02pm On Feb 26, 2010
Horus:

I don't think you know what "development" means -- and yes, why would you be quoting the Central Bank?

While it is true that the Nigerian economy may soon be on par with that of "developed" nations, as I stated before, with over 50% of its population in poverty, a lack of infrastructure, and a government unwilling to provide basic services, I would HARDLY call this development. How many developed nations do you know still have areas without electricity?

RichyBlacK:

I wonder why fellow Nigerians get all defensive and annoying when asked real honest questions about Nigeria's development?

Until we start being honest about our real problems, to whomever is interested in listening, Nigeria will remain on that familiar path to nothingness.

Nigerians are being honest about their real problems. It is the original poster's lack of honesty and callousness that the people here take offense to.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by redsun(m): 3:19pm On Feb 26, 2010
Nigerian economic development is inevitable but at this moment what we have is backward development because we don't have a system in place since we don't have any outstanding government.

All the efforts of hardworking and honest individuals and organizations are presently been thwarted by bad leadership but at the end of the dark night,the sun will rise over darkness.We have the market,we have the manpower,we have the resources,all we need now is just a good plan as a country.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Eddeux(m): 11:26pm On Feb 26, 2010
Why bother with a dumb a$$ who until 5 years ago thought Nigeria was in South East Asia? Poster, go w@nk if you've got nothing better to do.
Typical dumb American. . . . . Shioor!

Typical dumb answer! Instead of addressing your issues you nack at me. 5 years ago I was much younger and naive, besides we Americans didn't receive world geography classes till around 6th-7th year of schooling. Now, I can name almost every country on the planet and know a few precise locations of Nigeria's major cities. So take that!!

Nigerians are being honest about their real problems.  It is the original poster's lack of honesty and callousness that the people here take offense to.
and precisely how am not honesty and showing no sympathy? I am being honest, I've given my opinions, I've said Nigeria has great potential, and I've given constructive criticism, yet some still take offense? I know the truth hurts. Either you realize your problems now and fix them or nothing will ever change. I hope you're aware the developed world will continue advancing, we aren't slowing down waiting for Nigeria or any other developing country to catch up.

Nigerian economic development is inevitable but at this moment what we have is backward development because we don't have a system in place since we don't have any outstanding government.

All the efforts of hardworking and honest individuals and organizations are presently been thwarted by bad leadership but at the end of the dark night,the sun will rise over darkness.We have the market,we have the manpower,we have the resources,all we need now is just a good plan as a country.
I fully agree. Your government is what is hindering your progression, and until it changes who knows maybe Nigeria will never reach its full potential.

your brain needs to enlarge more,
and so does your country's average life expectancy and economy   grin
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Nobody: 11:27pm On Feb 26, 2010
[size=25pt]YAAAAAWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNN

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
[/size]
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Veritas09: 11:40pm On Feb 26, 2010
In your response you seem to validate my claim -- your isolation of only one line reflects your unwillingness to examine the larger picture.

You aren't saying anything new - Nigeria is well aware of its own potential, as much as its people are aware of their impotence in the face of a corrupt government. Being well-intentioned and having potential isn't enough to spur on potential.

What do you think is holding Nigeria back from developing? Try to actually understand this, because I said earlier, I don't think you understand what is going on very well.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by oderemo(m): 11:44pm On Feb 26, 2010
I fully agree. Your government is what is hindering your progression, and until it changes who knows maybe Nigeria will never reach its full potential.
and what exactly is hindering your country's economic progress at the moment?
Either you realize your problems now and fix them or nothing will ever change.
is that why you guys are in Iraq and Afghanistan ,cos they did not realise the problems and your govt is fixing it for them?
thanks for zeroing on our problems, we know them  and i bet you we will fix it.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Eddeux(m): 1:19am On Feb 27, 2010
and what exactly is hindering your country's economic progress at the moment?
what are you talking about? America has had sustained economic growth since the 3rd quater of last year, and in the 4th GDP grew at 5.7% and is expected to grow between 2.4% and 2.7% this year. The only thing to worry about is unemployment. But I don't understand how THIS IN ANYWAY RELATES TO THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD. Please remind me, what country is the developed one and has been for over a century? EXACTLY

is that why you guys are in Iraq and Afghanistan ,cos they did not realise the problems and your govt is fixing it for them?
thanks for zeroing on our problems, we know them  and i bet you we will fix it.
You've known your problems for a long time, but where is the change? I admit I may not see them considering I don't live in Nigeria, but for years now its been known your country's infrastructure is lacking and it doesn't produce enough power yet. And b4 u point at America's problems I already know them. Soaring debt, crumbling infrastructure, yada yada. But again what does that have to do w/ Nigeria? And yes we've fixed the problem in Iraq and will be departing by 2011  tongue

What do you think is holding Nigeria back from developing? Try to actually understand this, because I said earlier, I don't think you understand what is going on very well.

What is it then? Ethnic tensions, corrupt govt, lack of infrastructure (including power supply), unfair trade w/ developed countries?
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by oderemo(m): 9:56am On Feb 27, 2010
And yes we've fixed the problem in Iraq and will be departing by 2011

last time looked up the sky .pigs were flying. yeah right. grin grin
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by rebranded(m): 10:33am On Feb 27, 2010
RichyBlacK:

u got it richyblack and we complain when Ojo maduekwe goes out there and talk the same thing angry (defending the Country blinding)
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Eddeux(m): 7:00pm On Feb 27, 2010
last time looked up the sky .pigs were flying. yeah right. 
Well lets see what comes first then. my country leaving Iraq all together, or Nigeria developing into a first world country.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by Ikengawo: 7:14pm On Feb 27, 2010
Ignorant nigerians and ignorant american guy = Nigeria is expected to have an 8% growth rate this year, and has maintained above 5% since 1999. Nigeria is developing and developing very fast. All that's left is electricity and roads which has taken a frustratingly long time due to corruption and bad maintenance culture.

but you, and the ignorant nigerians, have to realize nigeria is a 40 year old country and due to circumstances will be harder to develop then the
US, which didn't have paved roads after 40 years of existence.

also you're not the only successful black ppl in the world. Nigerians in america make a lot more then you and their whitenter parts and are the most educated minority in the county

I applaud your curiosity but the ppl in here are too ignorant for you to be asking serious questions. the hottest topic on here after all is a civil war that happen over 50 years ago and making fake countries out of MSpaint.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by coolier(f): 7:28pm On Feb 27, 2010
Eddeux:

we Black Americans

are the direct descendants of captive African slaves who are held by whites, their masters, during the slave era.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by oderemo(m): 10:22pm On Feb 27, 2010
Ignorant nigerians and ignorant american guy = Nigeria is expected to have an 8% growth rate this year, and has maintained above 5% since 1999. Nigeria is developing and developing very fast. All that's left is electricity and roads which has taken a frustratingly long time due to corruption and bad maintenance culture.

but you, and the ignorant nigerians, have to realize nigeria is a 40 year old country and due to circumstances will be harder to develop then the
US, which didn't have paved roads after 40 years of existence.

also you're not the only successful black ppl in the world. Nigerians in america make a lot more then you and their whitenter parts and are the most educated minority in the county

I applaud your curiosity but the ppl in here are too ignorant for you to be asking serious questions. the hottest topic on here after all is a civil war that happen over 50 years ago and making fake countries out of MSpaint

incoherent fool.
Re: Nigerians, Will Your Country Ever Develop by MandingoII(m): 12:49am On Feb 28, 2010
sup Eddeux

It's a losing enterprise on this board.

ANYTIME someone shows interest in Nigeria or Africa for that matter they are viewed as suspect.

all they do all day everyday is show interest in OTHER COUNTRIES.

to me the reason for this is that THEY INTUITIVELY KNOW their country is so serious flawed that they believe you can see their fugged up streets from where you post.

These mofo's are so paranoid that they ATTACK instead of explain.

Like you said - nobody KNOWS jack shi.t about Nigeria - UNLESS they do research. Which today is all over the internet.

They would rather hide their home country to outsiders while belittling it over and over again amongst each other.

Yet the SADDEST part is that NONE OF THEM will lift a finger to help her Rise.

Essentially, I'm beginning to believe Nigerians are people that do not believe in their own Faith & hope for a better future IN NIGERIA.

They'd rather just LEAVE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

OBJ,Mark, Others Arranged To Buy Andy Uba Justice To Be Reinstated In Anambra's / The True Cost Of #occupynigeria / Riot Ongoin In Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.