Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,134 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars (15132 Views)

Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? / Accidented Cars From Cotonou / Are Accidented Cars Really Bad Deals? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by lumzy2: 12:06pm On Mar 12, 2010
true talk,
But the truth is, would Nigerians buy non-accident cars for the true value?
take a look at this good non-accident accord 2000model would cost around 5000-6000dollars, with the cost of shipping and clearing the sale price fall btw N1.4M -N1.6M but have seen here nigerians offering 900k for the same ride, i guess thats why nigerians abroad buys "the crap" you called,

would this poster buy a honda accord 2004model for 2.5M? am sure he cant cos he will be looking for a bargain,

the problem is back home here in naija, we can encourage sellers who sells non-accident cars.sellers can not buy at 1m and sell at 1m or would you poster?, lets start 4rm dir.

or u can go buy a kia product dat last for jst 3years or less,
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 3:13pm On Mar 12, 2010
@Lum_zy
You have spoken very well sir.

Personally, any accident vehicle rebuilt overseas is as good as tokumbo OR even better simply because an average rebuild overseas do 86% part replacement with next to new parts. In Nigeria on the other hand, our panel beaters mostly compromise quality for the sake of making peanuts - this, unknown to them (or even known to them) will affect the overall usability of the car when sold to a new owner.

In some cases, the sellers themselves are the ones that recommend what the panel-beaters and mechanics should use on the vehicle so as to keep their expenses at the minimum. Its very unfair.

That's why you will buy a "Tokumbo" car and find out that there is a part of the silencer that they used a seat-belt to hold together, or you rewire tells you that while he was trying to change the bulb in your headlamp he found out that the cover from the inside has been made permanent and has to be broken off and glued back.

This is the difference. I will appreciate IF our importers here buy accident vehicles for what they are and have it rebuilt out there and then shipped in ; It makes more sense that way.

When you see a locally rebuilt vehicle, its not the shiny baked paint that is important;

1. its IF the engine seats were actually replaced or patched with rubber bushings,
2. Its IF the chassis was not bent and then they used electric welding to "straighten it" without calibration,
3. its IF the windshield was well sealed so it can withstand the rainy season, its IF the roof was changed completely and not beaten back to shape (This explains some steering vibration and tires wearing out within months)
The list is endless.

We need to face facts and appreciate overseas rebuilt vehicles. You get the real "tokumbo" parts on them, and in the end well optimized for driving.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by chydogreat: 4:11pm On Mar 12, 2010
Anyone interested in a 2001 Honda Odyssey(No accident)?
check this out https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-345531.99999.html#bot
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 3:20pm On Mar 13, 2010
salvage cars whether rebuilt overseas or locally should be a no-no, my stand.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 3:59pm On Mar 13, 2010
@George_D
I really cant blame you BUT there is something I would like to share with you;

There is this car workshop on the outskirts of Vienna (close to where you have the Lexus dealership) - the first time I was in there, I knew that[b] ALL CARS ARE SALVAGE[/b].

There was an 08 E-Class a guy just bought (I think it was used briefly for hotel taxi). He brought it there for a total customization, and he says he wants it to be better than the AMG version. They tore this thing down and replaced almost everything - The manager of the workshop confirmed to me that they are changing from the radiator to about 30% of the engine. The dash was removed and ripped apart (he wanted some kind of blue lights in the dash), gear knob, bumpers, trunk, power seats, etc

What I'm trying to tell you is that; out there, you get these replacement parts for next to nothing - You want to change the instrument cluster on your dash to another with all blue lights, you spend just about $40 - In Nigeria here, just the button panel for glass winding for a CL500 costs 17k for a used one. Out there you buy the whole damn door electronics for less than $50 from an average garage.

Most of our importers here know that and I'm sure they know exactly what to do if they decide to buy an accident car and have it sorted before shipping. I'm in love with the idea of them letting us know what it is - even snapping a car as accident and advertising it as is - then giving a buyer an option to have it fixed there or shipped out as is.

Its a beautiful direction we are headed here, We should encourage our importers to keep it real and lets know as is and options of them fixing it or pimping it out there before shipping it out to us.

I hope you understand.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by mrkoma2012: 4:27pm On Mar 13, 2010
The poster is quite right, however not all cars involved in accidents are recorded so how do you identify a good car nothing beats taking a trustworthy mechanic to physically inspect any prospective car to be purchased.Any experienced car person should be able to distinguish between a lemon and a well maintained car.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 4:34pm On Mar 13, 2010
onwan, your very correct. still we should be careful because no matter how much repairs carried out on an accidented car, you can't compare with a clean title.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 5:55pm On Mar 13, 2010
I'm sorry George_D we cant be on the same page with this one.

Ive seen things that made me know that some accident rebuilds overseas are way better than your "Tokumbo"; check this;

Apart from VIN - how would you know your tokumbo is not an accident car? Or you think all cars are recorded?, ever heard of factory certified pre-owned?, they sell those for next to brand new price - you know their history?

There is this program called "P.I.M.P my ride" on MTV - watch it and tell me that your "Tokumbo" or even brand new from dealership is better than any of those pimped out roll-outs.

@Mrkoma2012
I personally know that my mechanic is not better than me in detecting an overseas rebuild simply because there are some rebuilds that ONLY records can prove. 90% of mechanics' decisions on cars their customers buy is based on their agreement with the seller (behind your back, pal)

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by BlueMagic2(m): 12:56am On Mar 14, 2010
This is all about being ignorant! Do u know dat even here in the u.s people buy accidented cars, fix it & drive it. People use cars dat are as old as 1970's, they call them antique cars & boy are they expensive. The other day i saw some1 driving Volkswagen beetle not the "Bug" & my friend told me that Volkswagen beetle is in demand & a crazy white man can even buy it for about $10,000 if he sees 1. Can u imagine that, thot of all those Volkswagen beetles in naija. Yet in Nigeria that doesn't even manufacture a rim of Tyre talk less of a car will tell u not to bring in cars older than 8yrs old. If you deal in cars like i do, d major problem why cars are expensive in Nigeria is Nigeria itself. The cost of clearing a car in Nigeria is far more expensive than the cost of buying d car here in the U.S. Here in the u.s you only pay for the cost of the container not the goods whereas in Nigeria you pay for the goods, so customs & their agents can make more money. I keep wondering why you have to go through clearing agents to clear your goods when you have the customs? Like i said it all boils down to ignorance, so my guy its either u take ur accidented cars as it is or u go buy a new car. Or better still u tell ur govt to start manufacturing cars. & believe me better u get an accidented car that runs and u know d condition of d car than a non accidented car that u don't know how it came about, NEVER CAN TELL MIGHT BE A FLOOD CAR?
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 1:18am On Mar 14, 2010
@Blue Majic
Thanks!, that is exactly the point I'm trying to make here.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by ib612(m): 2:21am On Mar 14, 2010
The poster may be right on some issues he mentioned. Nevertheless, he has no experience on what makes a good vehicle. His conclusion is that any car that's branded clean title has not been in an accident. YOU MAY BE WRONG. There are thousands of cars that's been in a fatal accident and are yet branded clean title. The carfax mostly mentioned is not a 100% cover or prove of a vehicle history; take that from me.

Salvaged vehicles are branded as such on the recommendation of the insurance adjusters ( this are the people that looks at the cars after an accident, theft, water damaged etc). There are people who still drive rebuilt cars ( salvaged cars that have been repaired and met motor vehicle inspection standards) here in North America.

Salvaged cars might be a theft recoveries. I've seen where a theft recovery was actual branded repairable or certificate of destruction, this is even worst than a salvage. Whether a motor vehicle is rebuilt in America or 9ja, what's should be observed is how the car drives; frame, chassis, electronics control and engine, wise.

In all honesty, most dealers don't even know that a vehicle they are buying has been in an accident or not. This is because they see it as clean title, run the Vin numbers and there was not an accident history. I tell you that all is not right.

As someone suggested, if you want to sell a salvage car be honest enough to show the pix of the accident and the buyer will see that some salvaged cars are actually a good buy. May be just needs to change a fender or light and do the alignment.

There are "clean title cars" you see that were actually repaired the way a salvaged title car was repaired. Some were just buff or simply put, detailed.

Clean title car below.

When repaired you may never know nothing went wrong with this car

Lot Number: 10779030
Virtual Sale Starts : FRIDAY 3/19/2010 at 12:00 PM EST
Pick Up Location : NJ - SOMERVILLE
Sale Date : 3/19/10
Description : 2010 TOYOTA CAMRY/SE/LE/XLE
Color : WHITE
VIN : 4T1BF3EK8AU
Title Type : CLEAN TITLE
Odometer : 16601 A
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by ib612(m): 2:25am On Mar 14, 2010
Clean title 2010 camry

Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by ib612(m): 2:29am On Mar 14, 2010
The pix below represents a salvage camry.

Not a single accident.

Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by ib612(m): 2:38am On Mar 14, 2010
The pix below shows a camry titled as irrepairable or certificate of destruction.

@Poster:

If the 3 cars were presented to you this way and nothing was mentioned of their tiltle, in which order will you choose.

Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by ib612(m): 2:48am On Mar 14, 2010
@Poster:

There's a difference between a new car and a used car. If you prefer you may buy a new car that has low quality and you'll find out that some of your friends that bought those tokunbo's are better of ( newer cherry compared to, even a 1994 accord).

Lastly, you might have read or heard that there's been recalls of many vehicles from good manufacturers like Toyota. That's to show you that nothing that's mechanical is perfect
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Fhemmmy: 6:27am On Mar 14, 2010
I love the analogy with the pictures . . . . .The bottom line, the dealers should try and be open with their deals, tell the buyer all that they need to know about the car, the buyer need to be realistic with pricing . . . . together, w could rid the market of junks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 9:03am On Mar 14, 2010
@ib612, Fhemmmy and Blue Magic
Thanks y'all for the enlightenment
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 6:55pm On Mar 14, 2010
in life as in business, the devil you know is better than the angel you don't know! grin
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by ib612(m): 9:16pm On Mar 14, 2010
^^^ The devil will end up doing evil.
Get a long spoon. smiley
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by beecrofty(m): 12:39am On Mar 15, 2010
George_D:

salvage cars whether rebuilt overseas or locally should be a no-no, my stand.

Its a no-no, but are you ready to pay the due price for the clean titled cars? cost of clearing + shipping + cost of purchase
i Guess NO-NO too, you can imagine someone pricing a 2005 Accord for 1m, and you expect me not to sell an accidented car to him?
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Fhemmmy: 3:47am On Mar 15, 2010
beecrofty:

Its a no-no, but are you ready to pay the due price for the clean titled cars? cost of clearing + shipping + cost of purchase
i Guess NO-NO too, you can imagine someone pricing a 2005 Accord for 1m, and you expect me not to sell an accidented car to him?

Buyers will price cars regardless, it is up to the seller to reject or to accept.
However, be open about what you are selling and leave the buyer with the decision to buy.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by ayusman16(m): 6:15am On Mar 15, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Buyers will price cars regardless, it is up to the seller to reject or to accept.
However, be open about what you are selling and leave the buyer with the decision to buy.

That should be d basis for flooding our country with accidented cars. Most dealers also post unbelievable cheap prices for their cars just to make sales and when you ask em of the VIN they explode cos they know they are selling accidented cars. State the conditions of ur rides is what we are after,
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by ib612(m): 6:26am On Mar 15, 2010
This is a forum where we get information on what we might not be good at or understand how some things are what they  are.

Criticism is good when it is well constructed. All crosses and measures for or against a position should be tolerated and judgement made on what we read and what others offer as advise.

I was once opportune to explain some facts to one NL member about these so called titles scripts. He had a limited budget and needs a car of his dream. I showed him some salvaged vehicles that he'll be able to afford with his limited fund. This car in question was a fender damaged. The car was a 1 owner car with a good history of maintainace. Till date the car performs very well.

What's important is for the buyers to ask questions and try as much as possible to deduce facts from sweet talking. Accessing a car because of the ascribed title is wrong. The dealers themselves are not immune from buying junks passing it over to the buyer as clean title because of their limited experience. In all sincerity they just want to give the customer what he asked for.

Simply put:
clean title may equal junk
salvage title may equal junk
irrepairable may equal junk

Solution:
check
test drive
seek advise
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 10:03am On Mar 15, 2010
when dealers buy junk and sell as clean tiltles out of ignorance, that is understandable but deliberately or knowingly buying junk and selling them off as clean cars is what we're talking about here.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 10:41am On Mar 15, 2010
Like ib62 has said:

Solution:
check
test drive
seek advise

In my personal opinion, Nigerians should educate themselves and appreciate what our importers and dealers are doing to even get them that their "tokumbo" ride.

Those tags - "clean", "unclean" or "salvage" "title" makes me laugh cheesy; like the intending buyer himself is "clean" or "unclean" and most definitely "salvage" cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 10:55am On Mar 15, 2010
there is no free lunch anywhere and no business is easy be it farming, painting,
fasion design, etc.
if you can't get people good quality cars besides salvage titles because you
want to make ends meet then as a dealer it's time you start thinking of
another line of business.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 11:00am On Mar 15, 2010
@George_D
I'm sure you think your vehicle is "Clean" too; let me guess, the seller posted you the VIN? cheesy
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 11:06am On Mar 15, 2010
onwan, your missing the point here.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 11:31am On Mar 15, 2010
I know, that's because I don't see any point here.

Manufacture is part of a vehicle's history, so is accident, what happens after the accident is what counts - was it sold for parts?, or was it rebuilt? the paint job you would call "Factory" in Nigeria is what kids in high school use for their projects.

People's records are wiped and altered out there let alone your "Carfax" and your beloved "VIN".

You need to understand that what you call factory body in Nigeria is usually 3rd or 4th paint and body jobs on most imported cars. So your importer might NOT even know the real history of the car.

You need to talk to Kunle-A, I know he lives in the states, he will explain things to you better. No matter how clean a vehicle is, Kunle-A will tell you that after purchase, he will tow it to a mechanic for physical tests.

Even fresh factory roll-outs have defects, some people buy brand news and send them for complete body kitting and engine tune-ups (brand new vehicles).

So my point - Most Nigerians don't know IF the vehicle they are driving is accident or not. Also, an overseas well done rebuild is as good as new, because they wont compromise little things and will easily get the factory OEM parts for next to nothing.

Watch documentaries and auto related programs, then you will see that all vehicles are salvage - depending on where you are looking at it from. Remember the GM and Toyota brand new vehicles being recalled?, what do you think they will do to them? wave a wand over them and that's it? NO, they will open them up like an old vehicle, remove faulty parts and replace with new OEM parts and send back to the lot for sale as brand new - would you still call them Brand new??
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Fhemmmy: 1:44pm On Mar 15, 2010
Onwan:

I know, that's because I don't see any point here.

Manufacture is part of a vehicle's history, so is accident, what happens after the accident is what counts - was it sold for parts?, or was it rebuilt? the paint job you would call "Factory" in Nigeria is what kids in high school use for their projects.

People's records are wiped and altered out there let alone your "Carfax" and your beloved "VIN".

You need to understand that what you call factory body in Nigeria is usually 3rd or 4th paint and body jobs on most imported cars. So your importer might NOT even know the real history of the car.

You need to talk to Kunle-A, I know he lives in the states, he will explain things to you better. No matter how clean a vehicle is, Kunle-A will tell you that after purchase, he will tow it to a mechanic for physical tests.

Even fresh factory roll-outs have defects, some people buy brand news and send them for complete body kitting and engine tune-ups (brand new vehicles).

So my point - Most Nigerians don't know IF the vehicle they are driving is accident or not. Also, an overseas well done rebuild is as good as new, because they wont compromise little things and will easily get the factory OEM parts for next to nothing.

Watch documentaries and auto related programs, then you will see that all vehicles are salvage - depending on where you are looking at it from. Remember the GM and Toyota brand new vehicles being recalled?, what do you think they will do to them? wave a wand over them and that's it? NO, they will open them up like an old vehicle, remove faulty parts and replace with new OEM parts and send back to the lot for sale as brand new - would you still call them Brand new??

I really respect your knowledge on this issue.
Infact, lemme add this, if your car is involved in an accident in the western world, 2 things happens:
1. You call the insurance and they will take care of the expense of fixing the car, and then, they put it on the record of that ride, and once it is fixed, before it cld be retitled, the govt will check and make sure it fits to be driven on the roads, for safety and all that good stuff.

Once the insurance is involved, there is a possibilities of higher insurance premium.

2. You go and fix the car yourself, cos you dont wanna pay higher premium, or take a case of someone with no insurance that will beg the other driver not to call insurance, nor the cops and they they the car to the garage and fix it, and now tell me, where is the record of such problem on that car?

Like it has been said many time, IT IS GOOD FOR THE DEALER TO MAKE SURE HE/SHE DECLARES
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by viperman: 2:37pm On Mar 15, 2010
Seun,

Kindly make this thread a sticky.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by BizBooks(m): 2:38pm On Mar 15, 2010
@ Fhemmmy,

You call the insurance and they will take care of the expense of fixing the car, and then, they put it on the record of that ride, and once it is fixed, before it cld be retitled, the govt will check and make sure it fits to be driven on the roads, for safety and all that good stuff.

You are right. US Insurance companies do a very good job when they decide to fix a wrecked car. In fact in most cases, they order parts directly from well-known distributors like NAPA and not the junk yard. The problem is that the salvaged cars being brought into Nigeria are not the ones fixed by insurance companies but rather by Hispanic road-side mechanics.

Most of the salvaged cars shipped to Nigeria are the ones judged to be damaged beyond repair by the insurance companies. However, it should be noted that insurance companies are sometimes too quick to condemn a car when a little effort can put it back together.

The point I wish to make here is that most of the salvaged cars you see in Nigeria were not repaired by insurance companies but rather by Hispanic immigrant mechanics in most cases. If you wish to know where a majority of the salvaged cars in Nigeria come from, then look no further than www.copart.com. There, you will understand the true meaning of the word "salvage". When I checked this morning, they had more than 60,000 vehicles in varying degrees of "salvage" ranging from the good, the bad and the ugly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Likely Causes For An Overheating Car Engine / Preventive Maintance Tips : Automatic Gear Box / 10 Reasons Why You Should Not Overload Your Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.