Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,284 members, 7,954,121 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:42 PM

Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars (15456 Views)

Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? / Accidented Cars From Cotonou / Are Accidented Cars Really Bad Deals? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 8:42pm On Mar 17, 2010
Moreover, accidents and damages are reported to Carfax for their record purposes - Its not like Carfax detects it via satellite or something.

If you check a Carfax report - It usually states (for your "clean" rides) that "No accidents or damages reported to Carfax"

We all know that if its to be reported, then it can be avoided (mostly avoided due to insurance issues) and so one or more actual damages might not be reported for a particular vehicle - so you can imagine being rigid about "clean", "dirty", "salvage" etc on an issue that (in some quarters) car dealers make happen just to sell their cars.

I appreciate our dealers for going through all to make one drive cars that their MSRP or online digits would ordinarily be impossible with our budgets.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by ib612(m): 8:47pm On Mar 17, 2010
^^^Well said.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by beecrofty(m): 1:40am On Mar 18, 2010
Onwan:

Moreover, accidents and damages are reported to Carfax for their record purposes - Its not like Carfax detects it via satellite or something.

I appreciate our dealers for going through all to make one drive cars that their MSRP or online digits would ordinarily be impossible with our budgets.

kiss
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by awf: 2:02am On Mar 18, 2010
Guys, the vision behind selling and buying online is that you get to see as many offers as possible for free. I can assure you that prices will eventually come down because the market will become more competitive. For instance cars are cheaper in Benin but you wont travel there except you are sure you'll get it.

www.autowebfair.com is going to change how Nigerians buy cars. That is our vision
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 8:31am On Mar 18, 2010
Nice try advertising your one way website. This is a forum.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 7:27pm On Mar 18, 2010
carfax, autocheck are not infallible and can be manipulated.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-404602.0.html#msg5590238

that is why it is important to deal with people with a conscience and who have a reputation to protect.
when they make a honest mistake they are quick to retrace their steps. that is what is important in a
business transaction.

but knowingly selling an accidented vehicle without full disclosure is fraudulent.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 7:47pm On Mar 18, 2010
@George_D
Go buy a brand new vehicle OR get some education on automobiles and how things work.

On the other hand; when your highlander comes, enjoy it and expect the performance of a brand new - even though its used. Thanks to our importers and dealers and workshops cheesy
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 4:58pm On Mar 19, 2010
sometimes, those who think they know too much are worse than ignorant!  tongue

if i wanted a new car, would have gone for a ratty suv like a naija new tucson from dana, same price with some extra change in my pocket. but i wanted something more upscale and i knew i couldn't do it new so i settled for a used highlander with a clean title.

if i desperately needed an 09 highlander and there was an accidented offer, lower mileage, same price with the clean tittled o6, i probably would have weighed the pros and cons and taken an objective decision based on facts at my disposal. the key word here is fact-meaning full disclosure both by my dealer and his agent working on ground in the usa. at least i would know what i was going
for from the beginning even if a million parts have been replaced.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 5:49pm On Mar 19, 2010
grin Its nothing personal Bre. Sounds like you really know the highlander's history.

Anyway, I didn't know the Tucson was that cheap (I know the highlander here in Lagos is about 2M or 2.3M). It will be nice IF the dealer that gave you the "accident" 09 Highlander for that price to post it on nairaland - I'm sure it will move very fast.

Like I said, try and get some education on vehicles and how dealerships work and especially the insurance angle to titles. It will really help.

The most important thing is that our importers and dealers give us good cars to drive, especially when bought as-is.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by MackDealer: 5:59pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Onwan

I think you need to try and understand George_D's point, all the guy is saying a dealer should not try and sell a salvage car as clean title and I completely agree with him that it's fraudulent for a dealer to do that, Yes the typical Nigerian buyer do not help the situation because some people wants the dealer to give them the car free. I think the way the poster introduced the topic is the not the best, something about enforcing full disclosure could have been better.  And  buyers need to understand the onus is on you as a buyer to do your findings and also physically inspect a car before buying.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 6:12pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Macdealer
It is impossible for a dealer to provide you with a VIN that says "accident reported" and tell you its "clean" "title".

When you say a vehicle is clean, it has nothing to do with titles because incidents might not have been reported concerning the vehicle itself. So when a dealer says its a clean car, all you need to do is inspect and drive.

So, you cannot label a dealer a fraud just because he tells you a car is clean and you check VIN and see it was involved in an accident 3 years ago.

Why can't he go to Berger and before pricing a vehicle he should key in the VIN and see what it pops up with before buying?. Let him go there and ask them for VIN. Its not just right when any cheap a.s.s can just just post trash, and in the end he is ordering for what?, a highlander?, and says he could have gone for a "ratty"? tucson?, which is way more expensive than the below-average highlander he wants to drive.

I'm clear on my point; drive what you can buy and appreciate a dealer by what he offers you and not what you forced him to make you believe. I believe most of the dealers investing millions in buying vehicles overseas and shipping them down here are mostly in it to get good references from buyers and not to scam them in any way.

He says he knows people on nairaland that sell "fake" vehicles, let him name one and let a customer that has bought from them confirm that. Its important he does this to show he is not a low-life; you have One naira and the next thing is that you are throwing labels at people who are investing millions on cars, Its not right.

You have a culprit, you name that person and let the whole of nairaland confirm it and bring the person out.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 6:56pm On Mar 19, 2010
onwan,
your posts are getting more disjointed as the day passes by and you need to calm down else your loosing it completely.

i didn't go to berger for the simple same reason i couldn't verify the source of their rides. you know what? before i opted for a pre-order, i had earlier tried buying from cotonue. i got an 05 limited highlander, very 'clean' but i later backed out of the deal. why did i back out? well, it turned out the vehicle's history could not be ascertained. i know people who would go ahead and buy irrespective but of course it's a free world and i don't have anything against them.

a naija new tucson from dana goes for as low as 2.8m for the basic and you could get other options like leather seats, etc for about 3.1 or 3.2m depending on where your buying from. i have cynthia's number and can give to you to verify. before i went for the highlander, i carried out due dilligence and what i post is based on facts. there were things i was looking for that i couldn't get fron a tucson, hence the overiding decision to go for a used vehicle that met my needs. maybe you should also make diligent enquiries before your swindled by smart alec sales people from hyundai.

i make bold to repeat that for those selling accidented vehicles without full disclosure and claiming to be selling clean titled cars, your days of reckoning is fast approaching because you will be exposed.

maybe they have the same mentality like yours thinking because their cars have been put in order, so no need to disclose to their innocent buyers the true condition of the vehicles, well, we will see when the time comes.

regardless whether your a car dealer, farmer, carpenter, fashion designer, no business is run based on sentiments. spending millions importing accidented vehicles and selling them here as clean cars will never be met with comendation on my part  no matter the trouble the dealer goes through in bringing  such vehicles in. i'd rather see such fraudulent dealer in jail to serve as a deterent to others of his ilk!
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 7:01pm On Mar 19, 2010
No stories

If as you claim you know a dealer who sells "fake" vehicles, name him and back it up. IF NOT, shut up and drive your used highlander and be grateful to the dealer that got it for you and stop ranting.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Fhemmmy: 7:03pm On Mar 19, 2010
George_D:

onwan,
your posts are getting more disjointed as the day passes by and you need to calm down else your loosing it completely.

i didn't go to berger for the simple same reason i couldn't verify the source of their rides. you know what? before i opted for a pre-order, i had earlier tried buying from cotonue. i got an 05 limited highlander, very 'clean' but i later backed out of the deal. why did i back out? well, it turned out the vehicle's history could not be ascertained. i know people who woul dgo ahead and buy irrespetive but of course it's a free world and i don't have anything against them.

a naija new tucson from dana goes for as low as 2.8m for the basic and you could get other options like leather seats, etc for about 3.1 or 3.2m depending on where your buying from. i have cynthia's number and can give to you to verify. before i went for the highlander, i carried out due dilligence and what i post is based on facts. there were things i was looking for that i couldn't get fron a tucson, hence the overiding decision to go for a used vehicle that met my needs. maybe you should also make diligent enquiries before your swindled by smart alec sales people from hyundai.

i make bold to repeat that for those selling accidented vehicles without full disclosure and claiming to be selling clean titled cars, your days of reckoning is fast approaching because you will be exposed.

maybe they have the same mentality like yours thinking because their cars have been put in order, so no need to disclose to their innocent buyers the true condition of the vehicles, well, we will see when the time comes.

regardless whether your a car dealer, farmer, carpenter, fashion designer, no business is run based on sentiments. spending millions importing accidented vehicles and selling them here as clean cars will never be met with comendation on my part  no matter the trouble the dealer goes through in bringing  such vehicles in. i'd rather see such fraudulent dealer in jail to serve as a deterent to others of his ilk!

^^^ That was rightfully said.
There are good dealers and there are bad dealer, however, for the sake of the good ones, we need to do all we cld to stop the bad ones.
There are good clients and there are bad ones, as a matter of fact, in every 12, there is a Judas, and that Judas could make all th edesciple look Judasic.
When a buyer is looking for a car, a dealer need to give them the options based on their budget and let them chose.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 7:06pm On Mar 19, 2010
If there is one such bad dealer, let him be named and let it be backed up, IF NOT, George_D should shut up and drive his used highlander and be grateful to the dealer that gave him that opportunity.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Fhemmmy: 7:12pm On Mar 19, 2010
Onwan:

If there is one such bad dealer, let him be named and let it be backed up, IF NOT, George_D should shut up and drive his used highlander and be grateful to the dealer that gave him that opportunity.

George_D is a nice guy, and i dont think he is referring to a particular dealer, at least, i thought we were all talking generally.
Let us learn from one another while we having fun
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 7:22pm On Mar 19, 2010
onwan,
your just being funny. business is a give and take thing hence nobody owes anyone 'gratitude'.

when a dealer delivers a car to a client based on his choice, he is not doing his client a favour only rendering a service for which he makes a decent profit. being 'grateful' for someone doing what he's  paid to do really does not arise.

on the other hand, if a dealer brings in an accidented vehicle into the country and expects people to clap for him because he went through great lenghts and spent so much to bring it in, then that dealer is the biggest joke of the year!  grin

@fhemmmy,
your my man. i think that is the point-learn and update our knowledge but some of us here are behaving we know all already and realise it when we go wrong.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 7:24pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Fhemmmy
That's what this is supposed to be, and I respect that; BUT when you say you know some dealers that you don't want to mention their names and they are fraudsters, its a whole new level, especially when you are making a case out of it.

I have nothing against his person, BUT its better to come correct and mention names rather than leave intending buyers scared of buying from anyone which will eventually make dealers doctor up things to suit whoever.

I will rather he mention names and have those things exposed. By the way; a car being clean has nothing to do with a title of being "clean". Being explicit helps in things. But I will respect IF the "clean" title from Carfax is his standard - Its on him  cheesy
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 7:26pm On Mar 19, 2010
@George_D
Drive your "clean" "title" highlander wink, Don't worry, I know the lady that used it; she is a careful 78yrs. old granny, who only drives it to Church on Sundays. grin
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 7:42pm On Mar 19, 2010
onwan,
looks like your really on edge tonight grin

however, i think you're getting your figures mixed. the highlander in question was actually driven by a 108yr old granny-the oldest mama in parkoima, carlifornia. if you watch cnn regularly you must have seen her in larry king live often! grin

did you also find out about your 530D too? was it driven by a young imam only to the mosque on fridays?it that why your still enjoying it this long after you bought it? no? cool
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Fhemmmy: 7:46pm On Mar 19, 2010
Now this thread seems to something else.

Onwan, my chief, be like say you know more than you are spilling oh. . . . . . .
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 7:53pm On Mar 19, 2010
^^^ If only you knew, and it ain't only the Onwan dude, include GeorgeD too, and these are serious inciteful allegations too, hmmm, my lips are sealed.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 7:54pm On Mar 19, 2010
grin grin grin
Its all fun.
But George_D don't make such claims and keep the names - its wrong - spill it out Bre. I know my 530D was driven by Saddam Hussein grin, at least he has hundreds of them so I'm sure he didn't use it much. cheesy
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Fhemmmy: 7:56pm On Mar 19, 2010
Busy_body:

^^^ If only you knew, and it ain't only the Onwan dude, include GeorgeD too, and these are serious inciteful allegations too, hmmm, my lips are sealed.

My Sister, how come i am always the only one that knows nothing on nairaland, i guess i am too busy with looking for good cars at good prices . . . .Feel me in now . . . .I beg
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 7:58pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Fhemmmy
Relax, big boyz with used cars are having a civil discussion here grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Fhemmmy: 8:00pm On Mar 19, 2010
Onwan:

@Fhemmmy
Relax, big boyz with used cars are having a civil discussion here grin grin grin

U mean i dont belong to the league of the big boyz ? God dey oh
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 8:08pm On Mar 19, 2010
cheesy Well its strictly on if you drive used cars (imported though), and preferably used by celebrities, ex-presidents, taliban chiefs, etc  grin
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Fhemmmy: 8:12pm On Mar 19, 2010
Onwan:

cheesy Well its strictly on if you drive used cars (imported though), and preferably used by celebrities, ex-presidents, taliban chiefs, etc  grin

Ummmmmmmmmmm
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Nobody: 8:23pm On Mar 19, 2010
Let's keep the discussions as civil and cordial as it has been.  Added To Auto Section Library Sticky Thread
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 8:23pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Onwan

Pls cut the crap, there is nothing funny going on here, unless you are that sick to see unjustified mudslinging and trying to bring people down as fun.

The purpose of this thread i still don't get. Its just full of people that should be grown up acting like cowards and bleating around like jobless goats.

First OP and George are going on with their aids and malaria campaign about how salvaged cars should not be allowed to be sold here. As if people in the Western world don't use salvage cars. Then they start falsely alleging that they know people that package salvaged cars as clean and sell them on for the same price as a clean vehicle.

And you are not helping matters by condemning all Naija mechanics as bad, that only overseas mechanics have the gold standard, complete and utter tosh and arrant nonsense.

WOULD BE BACK.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by invisible2(m): 8:28pm On Mar 19, 2010
There are some topics where people dance around in circles, repeating each others points in different sentences, all used cars are unsafe, but wetin we ga do? We are poor here abi poor man dey get choice for una place? If the car has an accident and you bought it from the dealer without such knowlwdge and sold without knowledge, who is to blame? - The economy that makes decent hardworking folks slaves, settling for less. Besides, what you don't know won't pain you.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 8:34pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Busy Body
I think your name describes you well.

I know for a fact that IF no names are mentioned, that means it does not exist, simply because if a seller meets a buyer on this forum and there is a breach, it will be very unfair for the buyer not to expose the seller to save everyone of us from making that same mistake.

I have bought a local rebuilt for 2.3M (It was an S55) and I ended up spending over 300k to get the shaking to stop, these are things that would have been well done out there; I have driven cars overseas that were rebuilt and I simply cant tell the difference from a new one.

If you ready carefully and not busy-bodying - you will notice that I never condemned the skills of the Nigerian mechanics BUT emphasized on their negligence and compromise all for the sake of making peanuts and also availability of the OEM replacements in Nigeria - Its from experience - which I have to share with Nigerians to avoid them making the same mistakes.

You might want to cut that "goat" thing and those insults out because some of us would pass you on the streets and actually notice a goat on the street and not you.

Please be informed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Begins Cleanup Of Illegal Motor Parks Under Bridges / For Your $1.5 Million, Will It Be A Bugatti Or A Koenigsegg? / At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.