Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,471 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

"You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? (4528 Views)

Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? / What's The Funniest Thing You've Heard From A Child? / What's The Selfless Thing You've Ever Done For Anyone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Veraatabeh(f): 8:12am On Sep 22, 2017
Its nt an offensive word joor,pple take words too serious nowadays

1 Like

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 22, 2017
Veraatabeh:
Its nt an offensive word joor,pple take words too serious nowadays

There is nothing offensive about it at all. It just depends on the person and his/her personal "issues".

E get as you'll have free mind and it'll land you in trouble, people take things too serious these days. A colleague's wife put to bed, I called the first time and congratulated him, called a second time and decided to ask for the baby's sex _if you see as he snapped at me. He said "a child is a child!"

I told another friend she lost weight and Lagos stress is really getting to her. Her own attack was worse, she said how will I lose weight when all I do is eat my husband's money, hahahaha. Her outburst wasn't normal, till today I wonder what she was really going through.
She blocked me, just like that.

Abi is it asking about employment status?
Mode of delivery?

I don't talk/ask again biko.

1 Like

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 22, 2017
PaperLace:

There is nothing offensive about it at all. It just depends on the person and his/her personal "issues".

E get as you'll have free mind and it'll land you in trouble, people take things too serious these days. A colleague's wife put to bed, I called the first time and congratulated him, called a second time and decided to ask for the baby's sex _if you see as he snapped at me. He said "a child is a child!"

I told another friend she lost weight and Lagos stress is really getting to her. Her own attack was worse, she said how will I lose weight when all I do is eat my husband's money, hahahaha. Her outburst wasn't normal, till today I wonder what she was really going through.
She blocked me, just like that.

Abi is it asking about employment status?
Mode of delivery?

I don't talk/ask again biko.

don't ask about employment status if you do not have a solution. I will pray for you is not a fųcking solution.

mode of delivery is none of your business.

asking for the sex is not insensitive in a culture where people don't really mind if all their kids are all boys or all girls alone. e.g. western societies.

in a most Nigerian culture especially Igbo culture where the pressure to have at least one male child is mounted on the couple it can be sensitive.

my conclusion to all try to be empathic and tactful when associating with people friends and family inclusive.

Life is already hard enough don't worsen the struggle for people especially those you claim to like/love.

spread love

♡ ~peace~♡

1 Like

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 22, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

don't ask about employment status if you do not have a solution. I will pray for you is not a fųcking solution.

mode of delivery is none of your business.

asking for the sex is not insensitive in a culture where people don't really mind if all their kids are all boys or all girls alone. e.g. western societies. in a most Nigerian culture especially Igbo culture where the pressure to have at least one male child is mounted on the couple it can be sensitive.

my conclusion to all try to be empathic and tactful when associating with people friends and family inclusive.

Life is already hard enough don't worsen the struggle for people especially those you claim to like/love.

spread love
♡ ~peace~♡

You're very right, which is the same point I am trying to make. You got the baby sex spot on, the guy already had a girl and there was pressure to get a boy _it turned out to be a girl.

So, I get his sentiments, but I didn't mean any harm. That's exactly how some people will go about commenting every and claiming it's nothing. I don't ever ask mode of delivery, though I have seen people ask.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by DarkRebel69: 12:01pm On Sep 22, 2017
Acidosis:

You need to purge your mind 'my friend', this debate needs commonsense, not poetry.

We are social animals, we all have the social responsibility to be nice to people around us.

I can tell you for a fact that only two categories of humans (Nigerians) adopt the words "weight loss and weight gain"

1. weight gain: is mostly used in our environment as a compliment, evidence of good living.

2. weight loss: whether it involves a dead relative or not, this word is used by people who truly cares or attempt to show some concern.

The same way we go about complimenting people's attires not minding whether they feel terrible is just the same way some will take offence on compliments regarding their body or weight.

Whether you see the meaning in my post or not, I would at this stage have to agree with you since the argument is leading to nowhere.

You have nothing to say and don't try to deflect attention from the emptiness of your argument. Poetry my foot.

It's funny how you should say that this debate should be premised on common sense and yet your remarks thus far are seriously lacking in common sense.

First, you veered off topic when you said that you would rather not accept "society's standard of attractiveness". One would think by that statement–although terribly off topic–that you were some maverick or non-conformist. Yet the so-called person, the so-called non-conformist who does not accept society's standard made these declarations:

"1. weight gain: is mostly used in our environment as a compliment, evidence of good living.

2. weight loss: whether it involves a dead relative or not, this word is used by people who truly cares or attempt to show some concern."

The phrase "mostly used in our environment" negates your pretentious claims to being a non-conformist. What kind of non-conformist tailors his ways to what is prevalent in society even if that which is prevalent is wrong?

As I have said before, you are emotionally unintelligent – your antecedents prove this. You are also pretentious, and confuzzled, and unnecessarily belligerent.

PS: When next you see your boss' wife, ensure you make an observation about her weight loss.

3 Likes

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Sep 22, 2017
qhutetomsel:
this is effing hilarious! grin grin
I like your diary and you must be smart, thumbs up
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 7:24am On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
I like your diary and you must be smart, thumbs up
awwn! Thanks a lot.
Yours is an interesting read toosmiley

1 Like

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 7:30am On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
awwn! Thanks a lot.
Yours is an interesting read toosmiley
why you up so early?
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 7:38am On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
why you up so early?
lol.. I haven't even slept at all grin
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
cheesy sleep is for the weak uno, but u should get some rest post exams. My best wishes, I know you will do well
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
nooooo comment on everything and anything, lez peep in2 your mind, come and spill on your own culture shock cheesy
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 7:51am On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
cheesy sleep is for the weak uno, but u should get some rest post exams. My best wishes, I know you will do well
thanks cheesy
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 7:55am On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
nooooo comment on everything and anything, lez peep in2 your mind, come and spill on your own culture shock cheesy
aha! Lemme keep my opinion to myself.its safer that way.
Will try to type something on there before I sleep
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
aha! Lemme keep my opinion to myself.its safer that way.
Will try to type something on there before I sleep
I will be waiting undecided
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 8:21am On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
I will be waiting undecided
I just did tongue
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 23, 2017
cheesy cheesy just read through, your tribe likes to be very respectful, it was expected I hold the doors out for ladies and help them fix their seats properly, its in the course outline of charm101
qhutetomsel:
I just did tongue
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 8:30am On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
cheesy cheesy just read through, your tribe likes to be very respectful, it was expected I hold the doors out for ladies and help them fix their seats properly, its in the course outline of charm101
Yeah, but you never see anyone in Nigeria, especially in a school setting call a superior to their face by their first name..
Opening doors for ladies is a different scenario, one of the perks of being a gentleman tongue.
But here literally anyone can open the door for you, something about being nice or polite undecided. I hate it tho, cos then I have to walk fast not to keep you waiting angry
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
Yeah, but you never see anyone in Nigeria, especially in a school setting call a superior to their face by their first name..
Opening doors for ladies is a different scenario, one of the perks of being a gentleman tongue.
But here literally anyone can open the door for you, something about being nice or polite undecided. I hate it tho, cos then I have to walk fast not to keep you waiting angry
cheesy cheesy I get it a lot when I go to gtbank e banking centres and some cafeteria it's almost like blackmail coz I have to then tip them, most times I thank them and fake a smile, you a Lagosian??
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
yea you can get failed for that, we value titles and all that crap, my mum's younger brother is a Canadian citizen now, in times past when he went abroad newly he would always say don't call me sir, the name is Orji till date I still found it funny how he hated this country at a short interval and adapted easily.
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 8:43am On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
cheesy cheesy I get it a lot when I go to gtbank e banking centres and some cafeteria it's almost like blackmail coz I have to then tip them, most times I thank them and fake a smile, you a Lagosian??
at least there's a motive behind all that, You won't see an average Nigerian open the door for you when you're still a few meters away from them. Yeah!
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 8:48am On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
yea you can get failed for that, we value titles and all that crap, my mum's younger brother is a Canadian citizen now, in times past when he went abroad newly he would always say don't call me sir, the name is Orji till date I still found it funny how he hated this country at a short interval and adapted easily.
yeah. We attach a lot of importance to titles.
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
at least there's a motive behind all that, You won't see an average Nigerian open the door for you when you're still a few meters away from them. Yeah!
when the economy was better I could tip, these days I would even open the door myself if I could, I am a Lagosian by birth if that counts
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
yeah. We attach a lot of importance to titles.
when next I chat you up, call me Chief undecided I value titles a lot, is that understood sad
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 8:51am On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
when the economy was better I could tip, these days I would even open the door myself if I could, I am a Lagosian by birth if that counts
grin grin grin I still don't know how to tip, Even when they ask, I just tell them "No tip". Its not in my dna grin. I should rephrase mine to lagosian by birth also smiley
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
grin grin grin I still don't know how to tip, Even when they ask, I just tell them "No tip". Its not in my dna grin. I should rephrase mine to lagosian by birth also smiley
Lool are you ijebu?? It's mood thing for me and if I carry spare cash I would sure give, which is ur state of origin?
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by oloyede252(m): 9:28am On Sep 23, 2017
DarkRebel69:

You have nothing to say and don't try to deflect attention from the emptiness of your argument. Poetry my foot.

It's funny how you should say that this debate should be premised on common sense and yet your remarks thus far are seriously lacking in common sense.

First, you veered off topic when you said that you would rather not accept "society's standard of attractiveness". One would think by that statement–although terribly off topic–that you were some maverick or non-conformist. Yet the so-called person, the so-called non-conformist who does not accept society's standard made these declarations:

"1. weight gain: is mostly used in our environment as a compliment, evidence of good living.

2. weight loss: whether it involves a dead relative or not, this word is used by people who truly cares or attempt to show some concern."

The phrase "mostly used in our environment" negates your pretentious claims to being a non-conformist. What kind of non-conformist tailors his ways to what is prevalent in society even if that which is prevalent is wrong?

As I have said before, you are emotionally unintelligent – your antecedents prove this. You are also pretentious, and confuzzled, and unnecessarily belligerent.

PS: When next you see your boss' wife, ensure you make an observation about her weight loss.

in summary your point is that the statement is offensive while acidosis point is that it's not offensive.I don't really get the need for insulting his person.
funny thing is that while you're telling him not to generalize you said "we guys".who are the we guys Bro speak for your self.

2 Likes

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Udochee(m): 9:49am On Sep 23, 2017
when some of us are here silently praying to add weight.... different strokes of the cane for different people.

1 Like

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 23, 2017
@ Acidosis,

You've been free-styling bullshit at us and couldn't debate your point or rather the issue on ground, as intelligently as DarkRebel69 did. DarkRebel called you out on your mediocre points and then you claimed he/she isn't an intelligent writer. LOL

Well guess what? I've read through the entire thread and you actually come across to me as an unintelligent writer, with no valid points and some sort of grudge against my gender.

Dude, please try to debate your points intelligently without the sweeping generalizations you are so fond of. Oh and by the way DarkRebel is an intelligent and articulate writer, making very valid points. You seem to lack the capacity to tackle DarkRebel intelligently, so if I were you I would respect myself and let it go.

@ Topic/Poster

You've added weight oh! Can be an embarrassing form of greeting and is in no way complimentary to fat people. Like some people have said already, fat people know they are fat and that comment won't do them any good.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by KAYD007(m): 5:07pm On Sep 23, 2017
DarkRebel69:

Are you FAT ? angry

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 5:39pm On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
Lool are you ijebu?? It's mood thing for me and if I carry spare cash I would sure give, which is ur state of origin?
lol! I'm from Owo, ondo state.
Read your post about Owo, not sure where you went to but the area my grandmum lives is so nice and civilized.
Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by qhutetomsel(f): 5:41pm On Sep 23, 2017
Piiko:
when next I chat you up, call me Chief undecided I value titles a lot, is that understood sad
okay... Chief undecided

1 Like

Re: "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 23, 2017
qhutetomsel:
lol! I'm from Owo, ondo state.
Read your post about Owo, not sure where you went to but the area my grandmum lives is so nice and civilized.
Lool I did my youth service in your LGA I know Owo is one of the largest LGA in Nigeria, seems u had ur beauty sleep for a while

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Wife Is Angry Because I Refused To Accomodate Her Nieces / Wake Up To Your Duty Married Women! / As Wives Relocate Abroad, Husbands Turn ‘bachelors'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.