Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,386 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] (25337 Views)

Please Assit, Am Trustrated In My Office / My Office Madam Gave Me Strong Green Light Ooo / Fiverr Reloaded 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by DarryOsh(m): 6:22am On Oct 09, 2017
Justiceotuya:
So yesterday being the 7th, we were to have an event for that day, a masked party titled "Aphrodisiac", we had made some research, called potential club goers, done some advert including instagram sponsored ads, bought masks, printed tickets and fliers

Last week, we saw a flier from the hotel/night club where our event was supposed to hold, basically our event is a masked party where guest are supposed to pay for tickets, get a mask and feel free to do and undo. now this flier for another event had a masked lady in the background and guess what the event was on 6th, the day before our event.

All hell broke loose, how could they organise an event which had similar theme with ours and couldn't even tell us despite notifying a month ago about our events and plans, calls were made, curses was spewed and the matter died down.

Yesterday we got prepared (It was my first time in a club and i didn't know what to expect), next story was that the the night club was ordered to be closed by a court(see gbese), and we were moved to a hall (red flag)

Next they gave me tickets to sell(Me? Tickets? a green horn like me? how i wan take start?) I complained that i am a guy and the numerous babes we had was suppose to sell tickets. them no even send me

least i forget, i was told to take inventory of the stocks in the bar and i was surprised at the astronomical fees this bar and clubs make. you buy a carton of coke for 1400 and sell each bottle for 500 naira, a drink(ace of spade) they bought from the market at 130k, they sell at the bar for 250k. i have the prices for other drinks.

That was how we stayed and not one person came, not one. I was so dissapointed and couldn't fathom what went wrong, was it our research, was it the Economy or was it the clubs fault

At the end of the day my boss took us to another club in town and same thing, the club was dry. i no even get power to dance, i just sat in the car and waited till morning when they were through with their partying.

Am just thinking of what will happen on monday, what will the ambience at work look like and how the company can bounce out of this

funny story.

please give us updates.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by xxgig(m): 8:00pm On Oct 09, 2017
xxgig:
got my first real job after youth service as an Investment Advisor in a real estate company. I am learning first hand "politricks" that happens in such setting. My job role involves me seeking for prospects to by into our properties and to advice them appropriately on which housing plan to adopt.So far, i won"t say i have had it good here, and i am due for appraisal month end (still on probation).
I am appealling to fellow Nlanders here if you work in an office or know someone who can afford to buy outright, through instalment payment or through mortgage, Please Hock up on 08118770006. we are based in Abuja.

I went to work almost 30mins late today. had to answer query for coming that late and got reminded that I am still on probation. at first I felt my lateness was excuse able, but after. a careful thought I realise there were other options I would have taken to prevent it from happening.

just two more weeks to impress or be shown the way out. but I am determined to survive this, yes I will survive it.

6 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by karleone(m): 12:07pm On Oct 10, 2017
Oliran:
At times, I feel joining Civil service immediately after NYSC isn't cool, right from school I have always wished to practice my profession and be very good at it, I feel I don't have enough experience yet, I always admire Vibrant and experienced Engineers, I really want to be good at what I do.
#thinkingoutloud#

It is well, my dear.
Just find those Engineers who have side jobs they do and relate with often. You can pitch your desires to them. Who knows, they might be of great help.

I'd really love to work in the Civil service. Had a little experience there when i served.
Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Oliran(f): 9:17pm On Oct 10, 2017
sconp:
Why not link up with those who are good and see what you can learn.
Asides, I think some of the engr in Civil service know their onions
Thank you, I appreciate
Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Oliran(f): 9:19pm On Oct 10, 2017
karleone:

It is well, my dear.
Just find those Engineers who have side jobs they do and relate with often. You can pitch your desires to them. Who knows, they might be of great help.

I'd really love to work in the Civil service. Had a little experience there when i served.
Thank you, I'll do just that.
Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Midegee(m): 7:24am On Oct 11, 2017
Following, this is one hell of a place to be

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Sashafm(f): 9:45am On Oct 11, 2017
Nice one going on here.

I work in one of the leading banks in Nigeria and in a Market facing division which is sales.

A typical day at work begins with checking my position in terms of customers liability and income received and earned.

There's always one customer or the other with issues that needs attention, I have always wondered how there is never a new day without fresh complaints.
Resolving customers issues Can take up the whole productive hours of the day and you are left with little or no time to even go on marketing calls.

I don't like cold calls but I ensure that I give my customers the best service so as to get referers that's how I meet my targets.

Above all I love writing FAM(facility approval memo) because to me it's an avenue to use my brain and do things not monotonous.

5 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by davide470(m): 8:43pm On Oct 11, 2017
Last week was Customer Service week, so i can say, we played throughout.

Had a Strategy session today; each unit presented it's Actual vs Budget figures, initiatives, completed projects, income projections and all that shii. September was an okay month for all.

Reviewed some reports, inputted some data on the QPR presentation, had a few meetings, bought and sold some holdings for some clients and made some calls.

We are launching a new product in 2018 for the market and i have been added to the Focus Group to review and pre-test it. It is kinda capital intensize and highly risky but we all need to take risks to survive in business.

#WelcometomyOffice..

5 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by davide470(m): 8:48pm On Oct 11, 2017
Sashafm:
Nice one going on here.

I work in one of the leading banks in Nigeria and in a Market facing division which is sales.

A typical day at work begins with checking my position in terms of customers liability and income received and earned.

There's always one customer or the other with issues that needs attention, I have always wondered how there is never a new day without fresh complaints.
Resolving customers issues Can take up the whole productive hours of the day and you are left with little or no time to even go on marketing calls.

I don't like cold calls but I ensure that I give my customers the best service so as to get referers that's how I meet my targets.

Above all I love writing FAM(facility approval memo) because to me it's an avenue to use my brain and do things not monotonous.
Nice.

How do you get marketing calls?
Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by 06013276dc(f): 10:13pm On Oct 11, 2017
Hello everyone,

Today was stressfully productive grin grin grin
How was yours wink

3 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:09am On Oct 13, 2017
Justiceotuya:
So yesterday being the 7th, we were to have an event for that day, a masked party titled "Aphrodisiac", we had made some research, called potential club goers, done some advert including instagram sponsored ads, bought masks, printed tickets and fliers

Last week, we saw a flier from the hotel/night club where our event was supposed to hold, basically our event is a masked party where guest are supposed to pay for tickets, get a mask and feel free to do and undo. now this flier for another event had a masked lady in the background and guess what the event was on 6th, the day before our event.

All hell broke loose, how could they organise an event which had similar theme with ours and couldn't even tell us despite notifying a month ago about our events and plans, calls were made, curses was spewed and the matter died down.

Yesterday we got prepared (It was my first time in a club and i didn't know what to expect), next story was that the the night club was ordered to be closed by a court(see gbese), and we were moved to a hall (red flag)

Next they gave me tickets to sell(Me? Tickets? a green horn like me? how i wan take start?) I complained that i am a guy and the numerous babes we had was suppose to sell tickets. them no even send me

least i forget, i was told to take inventory of the stocks in the bar and i was surprised at the astronomical fees this bar and clubs make. you buy a carton of coke for 1400 and sell each bottle for 500 naira, a drink(ace of spade) they bought from the market at 130k, they sell at the bar for 250k. i have the prices for other drinks.

That was how we stayed and not one person came, not one. I was so dissapointed and couldn't fathom what went wrong, was it our research, was it the Economy or was it the clubs fault

At the end of the day my boss took us to another club in town and same thing, the club was dry. i no even get power to dance, i just sat in the car and waited till morning when they were through with their partying.

Am just thinking of what will happen on monday, what will the ambience at work look like and how the company can bounce out of this

Abeg, which kind of work place b this?
Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Jazmiynne: 11:49am On Oct 13, 2017
So, madam just comes in from travel and says:
"Ah Jaz you didn't take charge while I was away o!"

I feel my head knack like "gbagaun!"

According to madam, I'm suppose to take charge when she is not available. But guys, I am new - and these guys I'm to "take charge" over are young peeps. I've been trying not to just up from the moon and come to lord it over them. But when madam comes and that is the first statement she utters, I Feel Bad. Very bad. Very Very Bad.

There were small small issues in the office while she was away which got escalated to overall madam being informed. Now my direct madam is saying, how come they jumped me and escalated to overall madam. And I am thinking in my head like: "is that how it is?"

Anyways, lessons learnt.

Let's hope my leadership potential can still be salvaged embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 15, 2017
So I dropped my notice of resignation on 11th September, 2017 and all hell seemed to break loose in a sense. Immediately Personnel passed my notice to my direct boss (who is the Managing Partner and son of the overall boss), he called me to his office for a meeting.

He asked me why I was leaving and all. I told him my reasons (none of which included pay, because, unknown to me, he had called my best friend, who also works in the same firm but has now moved to Canada for masters, to find out why I was leaving and that one was talking one nonsense that it was pay) and stated that nothing could change my mind, as I had carefully planned my exit for about a year, so there was no going back.

So why did I leave?

1. No clear career progression: the business is set up to perpetuate the overall boss and his kids. It does not have a plan to raise successful and distinguished non-family members.

2. There is no motivation for performance. Pay is poor and comes with the attitude that they're doing you a favour. There are no incentives. To add to it, they started cutting the already meagre bonuses. In 2 years I only got a 20k raise, despite being one of the star associates in the firm, quote and unquote.

3. The attitude, words and action of the overall boss to his subordinates is one I cannot stomach for too long. It is confidence draining and not good for the pysche. I believe a man's true character is revelaed in how he treats people of lesser status/standing.

I had wanted to quit about a year ago, but I didn't like how just a year would look on my cv, so I reckoned that two years was a decent time and decided to tough it out. Plus, I was working on a major case that I needed to see to conclusion, lest I be perceived as sabotaging the business. Concluded that in June, then I hit the streets.

Getting a new job was almost so easy ( though I was scared at some point). Over the past two years, I have gained like five-years worth of experience, so it was easy to get the attention of serious law firms. Job hunting did come with its own drama. A firm called me to come pick up my offer letter, after acing the interview; only for them to go cold on me. Till today, I heard nothing from them. Looking back, I'm thankful they didn't get back to me, because some big guys in the profession came knocking and I was all too glad to accept. Tomorrow, 16th, I resume with another Tier 1 Law Firm.

Lessons learnt;
1. At every point on the job, keep creating and adding value. That's what would stand you in good stead in the market.

2. Always have an exit plan else you become stuck.

3. Your confidence is your greatest asset as a professional. Guard it jealously. Most people will rely more on the confidence with which you put your points across than the merits of the points themselves (I might be wrong on this).

4. Keep the big picture in mind. Don't be carried away by the occasional peanuts designed to keep you stuck on the job. I had to drop my beloved offical car. No harm in short term discomfort for long term gain.

I left when the ovation was loudest. The admission of my bosses is that I'm a sound and hardworking lawyer, whom they would have loved to keep on. The boss prayed for me in conc. Yoruba language, you know those "ijinle" prayers right?

Were the two years worth it? Definitely yes!, in terms of experience and getting a peep into my potentials as a professional.

Would I want to do it again? Not sure o.

47 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Jazmiynne: 7:27pm On Oct 15, 2017
tolusan:
So I dropped my notice of resignation on 11th September, 2017 and all hell seemed to break loose in a sense. Immediately Personnel passed my notice to my direct boss (who is the Managing Partner and son of the overall boss), he called me to his office for a meeting.

He asked me why I was leaving and all. I told him my reasons (none of which included pay, because, unknown to me, he had called my best friend, who also works in the same firm but has now moved to Canada for masters, to find out why I was leaving and that one was talking one nonsense that it was pay) and stated that nothing could change my mind, as I had carefully planned my exit for about a year, so there was no going back.

So why did I leave?

1. No clear career progression: the business is set up to perpetuate the overall boss and his kids. It does not have a plan to raise successful and distinguished non-family members.

2. There is no motivation for performance. Pay is poor and comes with the attitude that they're doing you a favour. There are no incentives. To add to it, they started cutting the already meagre bonuses. In 2 years I only got a 20k raise, despite being one of the star associates in the firm, quote and unquote.

3. The attitude, words and action of the overall boss to his subordinates is one I cannot stomach for too long. It is confidence draining and not good for the pysche. I believe a man's true character is revelaed in how he treats people of lesser status/standing.

I had wanted to quit about a year ago, but I didn't like how just a year would look on my cv, so I reckoned that two years was a decent time and decided to tough it out. Plus, I was working on a major case that I needed to see to conclusion, lest I be perceived as sabotaging the business. Concluded that in June, then I hit the streets.

Getting a new job was almost so easy ( though I was scared at some point). Over the past two years, I have gained like five-years worth of experience, so it was easy to get the attention of serious law firms. Job hunting did come with its own drama. A firm called me to come pick up my offer letter, after acing the interview; only for them to go cold on me. Till today, I heard nothing from them. Looking back, I'm thankful they didn't get back to me, because some big guys in the profession came knocking and I was all too glad to accept. Tomorrow, 16th, I resume with another Tier 1 Law Firm.

Lessons learnt;
1. At every point on the job, keep creating and adding value. That's what would stand you in good stead in the market.

3. Your confidence is your greatest asset as a professional. Guard it jealously. Most people will rely more on the confidence with which you put your points across than the merits of the points themselves (I might be wrong on this).

4. Keep the big picture in mind. Don't be carried away by the occasional peanuts designed to keep you stuck on the job. I had to drop my beloved offical car. No harm in short term discomfort for long term gain.

I left when the ovation was loudest. The admission of my bosses is that I'm a sound and hardworking lawyer, whom they would have loved to keep on. The boss prayed for me in conc. Yoruba language, you know those "ijinle" prayers right?

Were the two years worth it? Definitely yes!, in terms of experience and getting a peep into my potentials as a professional.

Congratulations San! smiley

4 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Tsuccesssquare: 8:14pm On Oct 15, 2017
Great one. Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by cc150615(f): 10:34am On Oct 16, 2017
tolusan:

So why did I leave?

Lessons learnt;

SAN of life, congratulations!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by edrys(m): 11:51am On Oct 16, 2017
tolusan:

So why did I leave?

Exactly what is playing out in my Organization. I think they intentionally pay peanut to keep staff financially handicap from developing themselves.

Older colleagues who have worked for more than 6 years are not earning up to 80k. Mind you, He is the head of his Department, at times i just look at myself and weep inside.

Getting a new job was almost so easy

This is my fear, I hope to get started with my professional exam or Chartered before embarking on aggressive job search

I have gained like five-years worth of experience, so it was easy to get the attention of serious law firms.

What other skills can a Young Accountant get (I have working experience with Ms WORD, Excel, Power Point, SAGE Accounting)?

Lessons learnt;

I need all this lesson in my Career right now. Two years plus down the line, I can't pin point any tangible career growth neither in kind nor wealth from my present position as an Account Officer. I am stuck at the exemption stage of my Professional exam.
Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:23am On Oct 18, 2017
tolusan:

So why did I leave?

Lessons learnt;

My own analysis?

No self development is a function of individuals, not firm.... No matter where u work, if u want to grow, u will grow

All businesses are built for the endowment of the owners... Though some may appreciate others who help them achieve that ambition, while others will not

One needs to learn how to withstand criticisms n still come out strong, without chickening out (sorry for that term), no matter how bad d criticisms are

Good u had the confidence to leave, especially since you are a professional... But hope, just hope ull b able to withstand t if d new place turns out to b d same as d previous... THOUGH I DON'T PRAY SO

#Thanks# No offence intended Sir

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by blank(f): 10:10am On Oct 18, 2017
Jarus:
Hi guys,

Really feel like an agbaya in contributing to this thread as a contributor to the 2008-2012 version. Many of the folks on that version are no longer active here.

Seriously dampening my morale. Hoping I will get the fire to start contributing.

Increase your morale. I will also start contributing even though I am a 2008 member. Just discovered the thread and it has been interesting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Jarus(m): 11:06am On Oct 18, 2017
blank:

Increase your morale. I will also start contributing even since I am a 2008 member. Just discovered the thread and it has been interesting.

Thanks o.

Motivated
Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by blank(f): 11:45am On Oct 18, 2017
Middle management is very frustrating. Your line reports look up to you as you know how the shoe pinches them and senior management look up to you to maintain and increase whatever rogue targets they give.

We had our MPR for our branches with senior management. We, regional heads can only come as onlookers. So, I prepared my branch heads, prepared good cases for those with poor performance especially as some factors were out of their control and most of them delivered powerful presentations. I was very impressed. The MD was in the session and was very impressed. Yet they still gave them poor performance memos. So effing unfair and very demotivating.

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by seguno2: 12:51pm On Oct 18, 2017
Jazmiynne:
Just so that it can be on record that I'm the first female to drop by the reloaded thread... cheesy

Sorry but there is nothing to show that you are female?
Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Jazmiynne: 4:56pm On Oct 18, 2017
seguno2:

Sorry but there is nothing to show that you are female?

My word is Gold smiley

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by nitrogen(m): 6:10pm On Oct 18, 2017
Well, my office?

No update. Only thing I can remember is that I got my CFA Charter certificate yesterday (finished the exams last year), and was like "So that's it?, wow! what next?"

But then, a minute later, I figured it out. I will go for my MBA in a top school in US or Canada or France sef, then write CAIA.

Permit me to say that I love anything finance, I have done risk management, investment banking, financial advisory, audit and accounting and fixed income trading. All within 3 years and 2 months. Currently, I am with a mini infrastructure focused DFI. And I love it here, less stressful and fuvking challenging.

What I do? I structure infrastructure deals. I assess companies that are infrastructure focused, and get my company to invest in them, then I do some sort of portfolio management. Simple? NOT REALLY.

My typical day? I will gist you later.

Bye!

PS. Respect to Jarus (Egbon of life) and Blank (CFA madam).

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by blank(f): 9:16pm On Oct 18, 2017
@Nitrogen, congratulations. E no easy o. Wish you the best on this journey. The reward for hard work is more work.

I am intrigued. How did you know about the CFA? I doubt I have mentioned it here.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Jarus(m): 9:44pm On Oct 18, 2017
nitrogen:
Well, my office?

No update. Only thing I can remember is that I got my CFA Charter certificate yesterday (finished the exams last year), and was like "So that's it?, wow! what next?"

But then, a minute later, I figured it out. I will go for my MBA in a top school in US or Canada or France sef, then write CAIA.

Permit me to say that I love anything finance, I have done risk management, investment banking, financial advisory, audit and accounting and fixed income trading. All within 3 years and 2 months. Currently, I am with a mini infrastructure focused DFI. And I love it here, less stressful and fuvking challenging.

What do I do? I structure infrastructure deals. I assess companies that are infrastructure focused, and get my company to invest in them, then I do some sort of portfolio management. Simple? NOT REALLY.

My typical day? I will gist you later.

Bye!

PS. Respect to Jarus (Egbon of life) and Blank (CFA madam).

Wow, you've got CFA! Congrats. Yoy have really done very well for yourself.

5 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Jarus(m): 9:46pm On Oct 18, 2017
My day.

Well, at a conference in London this week but still managing to oversee the unit remotely.

Crazy schedule.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by bjbukzy(m): 9:50pm On Oct 18, 2017
Jarus:
My day.

Well, at a conference in London this week but still managing to oversee the unit remotely.

Crazy schedule.
I ve been a silent follower since my university days, am having a hard time making up my mind and will really need your advise on somethings...can i pm u?

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Jarus(m): 9:50pm On Oct 18, 2017
bjbukzy:

I ve been a silent follower since my university days, am having a hard time making up my mind and will really need your advise on somethings...can i pm u?

Sure
Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by bjbukzy(m): 9:54pm On Oct 18, 2017
Ok....thanks
Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:40pm On Oct 18, 2017
Been a stressful week so far... PTA meeting forthcoming n all... Had some students that just don't seem to want to get it

So we introducing a promotion system.. Score below a grade as average at the end of three terms n repeat d class (note it's a private school), score above a certain grade n get rewarded

I hope and pray it motivate the students to work harder

We attached some of the unserious junior students to the serious seniors to help them out during break period

#Life of a teacher# We see as it were a bright future, but in a distance, then try to push the students towards that future.

3 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office [RELOADED] by Blessedgurl(f): 11:26pm On Oct 18, 2017
Being reading posts for sometime now.

I am glad to see various contributors from different career paths and organizations. Learning will be inevitable on this thread.

@Blank

What you experienced is almost like a daily topic from different members on LinkedIn presently.
You just have to do your part and remain a good leader to those you lead.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Boss Said I Should Never Send Him A Mail Again, Help / Between Ibinabo Fiberesima And The State / Female Bank Marketers, Unholy Targets And The Sleaze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.