Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,039 members, 7,845,376 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu (26392 Views)

Speaker Gbajabiamila Bowed To Bola Tinubu, Reno Omokri Reacts / Bola Tinubu Lands In Osogbo Ahead Of Saturday's Governorship Election(photos) / "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by dabeto: 5:19am On Sep 24, 2017
•Says governance failure cause of secession agitations

National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and former governor of Lagos State, Senator Bola Tinubu, has linked the secession agitations agitations in the country to the “chronic failure of government to meet basic aspirations” of the citizens.

Tinubu has consequently advised the Federal Government to dialogue with the agitators rather than embrace confrontational approach, warning that the “cry of separation has gained traction among the average people.”

He posited that if successive governments had delivered on their promises of abundant life and justice for the citizenry, those rooting for secession would not have been taken seriously.

Tinubu spoke in Lagos in a keynote addressed entitled “A New Nigeria or a Better One: The Fitting Tools of a Great Repair,” at the 2017 annual dinner of the King’s College Old Boys Association.

“Thus, we have people clamouring for secession in one part of the country and the murmur of such a course grows stronger in other sections. These other areas resent that some have advocated secession. Blame and recrimination become the political currency. Statesmanship falls in short supply. The dominant urge is to confront instead of reconcile.

“It would be wrong to mistake this for a tempest in a teapot. If not careful, we may be tossed about like a teapot in a tempest. We must listen to what is being said so that we can determine what is really meant.

“Let us be frank. Many who cry separation do so because their personal ambitions will be better served by such a thing. They believe they will have greater chance at political power under a different arrangement.

“Yet the cry for separation has gained traction among average people; this is due to the chronic failure of government to meet basic aspirations.

“If over the years, government had delivered on the promise of growth, prosperity, and justice, those calling for such extreme remedies would be but a small fringe of little consequence.

“Our task is not to condemn but to listen and understand. I care not at all for this proposed solution. But I dare not discount the concerns and problems that have led many people into advocating such a thing,” he said.

Tinubu opposed the dismemberment of the country as canvassed by the secessionists, and in its stead suggested a roundtable discussion of the problems militating against the growth and development of the country.

“Being more pragmatic, separating the nation into small pieces resolves nothing and creates additional problems…Such a thing would make us more vulnerable to outside influences. We would forfeit our rightful place on the world stage and as a leader of this continent.

“Moreover, not every split solves a problem. The political mentality, either good or bad, that defined a group before the split will remain after the divide. If one is imbued with factionalism, that perspective will remain even when the immediate problem is surmounted. Division will manifest differently, but manifest it will,” he said.

He suggested a rethinking of the national economic model, which he described as not only old but crumbling and presented the greatest challenge, suggesting a national industrial policy that would foster the development of strategic industries, create jobs and ginger economic growth.

http://www.tribuneonlineng.com/nigeria-must-restructure-tinubu-%E2%80%A2says-governance-failure-cause-secession-agitations/

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by redness: 6:07am On Sep 24, 2017
e don set

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by fairplay90(m): 6:12am On Sep 24, 2017
If not for Nnamdi KANU
#dey Don dey talk, one by one

190 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by checkolatunji: 6:29am On Sep 24, 2017
fairplay90:
If not for Nnamdi KANU

#dey Don dey talk, one by one

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by haryorbarmie83(m): 6:55am On Sep 24, 2017
Restructuring all the way.. jagaban don talk grin

47 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by seunmsg(m): 6:57am On Sep 24, 2017
In as much as i see nothing wrong with the current military approach, i am not against federal government negotiating with Kanu and IPOB if they are open to negotiation.

Tinubu and his party also need to do more. Restructuring was a dominant part of APC manifesto and by now, the APC government should have taken concrete steps towards restructuring the country.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 24, 2017
D 2019 political scam is restructure lol. The majority in the house would be disadvantaged so they cant vote. How do we share nigerians debt too. Jokers

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 7:22am On Sep 24, 2017
seunmsg:
In as much as i see nothing wrong with the current military approach, i am not against federal government negotiating with Kanu and IPOB if they are open to negotiation.

Tinubu and his party also need to do more. Restructuring was a dominant part of APC manifesto and by now, the APC government should have taken concrete steps towards restructuring the country.

Changing your views so soon because jagaban has spoken? Thanks be to Almighty Allah. angry

112 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 7:28am On Sep 24, 2017
Restructure the hunger in SW first

97 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by aolawale025: 7:28am On Sep 24, 2017
Tinubu always finds his voice when Buhari travels

159 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by reptile1: 7:34am On Sep 24, 2017
seunmsg:

This matter has gone beyond Nnamdi kanu and IPOB. Ipob was a catalyst to the struggle we all had in mind but refused to speak nor act.

It's not about dialogue with Nnamdi kanu or IPOB, It's about reconfiguration of the Nigerian system for justice, equality, productivity, growth and progress which the present system doesn't support.

Truth be told, wrong or right, Nnamdi kanu and his group emboldened everyone to demand for what is right without fear as was the case.

Call them terrorists, call them names, the question begging for answer won't automatically erase from the peoples mind.

Restructure or disintegrate.

219 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by seunmsg(m): 7:35am On Sep 24, 2017
Alcatraz005:

Changing your views so soon because jagaban has spoken? Thanks be to Almighty Allah. angry

I have never spoken against restructuring, my major concern is for it to be properly defined. Restructuring means different things to different people hence, the need for all well meaning agitators to harmonise their positions.

In addition, restructuring won't give us a different result if the same people with the same mindset who are operating the current structure will operate the new structure. We have a societal and value problem that cannot be changed by mere restructuring. We need more than structural changes to make this country work for everybody.

Cc: Reptile1

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by ajepako(f): 7:37am On Sep 24, 2017
Day Don break Abi?

Good morning...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by malton: 7:48am On Sep 24, 2017
Restructure or not, balkanize or maintain; how does it benefit the dispossessed Nigerians who have had their rights stolen for so long?

I sometimes feel ashamed on behalf of those educated people who long for a return to an imaginary structure where everyone has a seat at the head of the table.

In Nigeria, and everywhere else in the world, bar some Scandinavian countries, those seats are reserved for the elites. Rather than seeking clearly how a government intends to bring progress and growth, we are concerning ourselves with what benefits the elites only.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 24, 2017
seunmsg:

I have never spoken against restructuring, my major concern is for it to be properly defined. Restructuring means different things to different people hence, the need for all well meaning agitators to harmonise their positions.

In addition, restructuring won't give us a different result if the same people with the same mindset who are operating the current structure will operate the new structure. We have a societal and value problem that cannot be changed by mere restructuring. We need more than structural changes to make this country work for everybody.

Cc: Reptile1

I disagree with the second leg of your post. Post restructuring, any graft carried out by the elected representatives would be sternly/forcefully rejected by the people of the new regions. Let us all face our respective leaders since there won't be any tribal differences.

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by sotall(m): 8:28am On Sep 24, 2017
I have been a die-hard critic of Tinubu over the years but this statement just got me liking him

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by TheTechMan: 8:28am On Sep 24, 2017
So you are now ready to talk about restructuring finally. Tinubu has been silent on restructuring for a long time and even did not attend the Yoruba Summit on restructuring in Ibadan. He is only speaking now because he's losing credibility over his silence. He has benefiting from the rot in Nigeria that is why he kept quiet and did not support restructuring all the while. Tinubu is not a worthy leader in Yoruba land and must not be regarded as such. He is only after his own selfish interest to amass wealth for himself and unborn generation.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Amberon11: 8:28am On Sep 24, 2017
Say no to parasitism.

I think the best is secession tho because this country can never move forward with the north.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by ruggedized1: 8:28am On Sep 24, 2017
Tinubu on point.

Only bubu is against restructuring because of his almajiri brothers.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by kolnel: 8:29am On Sep 24, 2017
Restructuring is the only way to go
This present situation won’t move Nigeria ahead

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 24, 2017
Now i understand why the elite/govt is not giving us beta education. So that pple wud not be able to think. After the so called restructure these same politicians go chop all d proceeds. 2019 we shall not be deceived by this gimmicks

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by omenka(m): 8:30am On Sep 24, 2017
Anyway this thing goes, I am game.

Break up, no wahala.

Restructure, no wahala.

What exactly is this restructuring by the way? Seems to me like the latest political fancy word.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by caniva(m): 8:30am On Sep 24, 2017
grin
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Lincoln275(m): 8:30am On Sep 24, 2017
for real? are u sure tinubu uttered dz?
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by money121(m): 8:31am On Sep 24, 2017
Ok
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by ProfErnest(m): 8:31am On Sep 24, 2017
Restructure.... are we there yet
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by shawnfamous(m): 8:31am On Sep 24, 2017
This thief wants to restructure!! If this man can't be arrested then No need restructuring..

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by GeneralOjukwu: 8:31am On Sep 24, 2017
IPOB youths would be wondering whether to asslick him or rant as always grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Dreadful: 8:32am On Sep 24, 2017
Quote me anywhere Nigeria will never be restructured, the North will never allow that!! The call for restructuring will fail right in our own very eyes then we will now begin to understand Nnamdi Kanu better.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by Horlufemi(m): 8:32am On Sep 24, 2017
So you can take over SW. wehdone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure — Bola Tinubu by vivianbelema(f): 8:33am On Sep 24, 2017
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Burial Of 3 Shiite Members Shot Dead By Police In Bauchi (Photos) / FG Ends Kerosene Subsidy, To Sell For N83 Per Litre / Northwest, Northeast Top Bribery Prevalence Rate In Nigeria- NBS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.