Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,496 members, 7,830,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:52 PM

Atheists And Morality. A Question! - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists And Morality. A Question! (9522 Views)

You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. / Monotheism And Morality: A Criticism / The Paradox Of Nihilism- A Problem For Atheists And Humanists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 9:36pm On Sep 30, 2017
dalaman:

Murderers, rapist and racist don't go about murdering, raping and discriminating against each other in the prison. Once they get there they try to live their lives according to the laid down laws and principles of the prison.

Prisoners also live by their own codes outside the prison laws. You agree they can live their lives without discrimination and peacefully. So why then did you assume they would self destruct?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by dalaman: 9:36pm On Sep 30, 2017
DoctorAlien:

But you already agreed that such a society could exist, just that it would be short-lived(because the members would "exterminate" each other out, according to you):

Nobody really cares if the society would exists for 1 second or for 1 trillion years before they "exterminate each other out". The fact is you agree they could exist.

You are contradicting yourself, sir.

Again, going by your assertion that the society in which 99.9% of the members see nothing qrong with racism, murder and adultery could exist at all(be it for 1 second or for 1 trillion years before the extermination occurs): if the leaders in the society are among the 99.9%, is nothing wrong with those things?

Everything will be wrong. The leaders will not even have time to do anything. They will just be murdering, raping and discriminating against each other. There will be total chaos till they end up exterminating themselves.

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by vaxx: 9:36pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:
For OP, perhaps I should ask what it means to YOU to be human.
interesting questions.i will defined human as self conscious, ability to be self aware you are primate from planet earth..

All it really means to be human is that you are a homo sapien according to the evolutionist , , , what you choose to do with the advantages that come with the other creature is what decides if your brief existence was worth anything to other humans. And this will answer what is generally consider what is moral in the light of common sense? Can there be a general agreement...
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by chemystery: 9:37pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

So far as we know, animals can't be moral or immoral because so far as we know they don't think about it that way.

That is to say that any assignments of the "morality" of their actions are based entirely upon our interpretations of, and our assignment of our values to their actions. This is called inference. We humans are exceptionally good at it.

Thinking about the actions of others (and ourselves) as "moral" or "immoral" seems to be a uniquely human trait So you can tell a story about an Evil animal or a good animal but it is only meaningful in the context of your story. The animals don't know,or care.
The question is who gave such animals their moral code ?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by dalaman: 9:38pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Prisoners also live by their own codes outside the prison laws. You agree they can live their lives without discrimination and peacefully. So why then did you assume they would self destruct?

Because they are not killing, raping and discriminating against each other in the prisons. In the prison they know that such actions will NOT be tolerated and practiced and as such they will not practice it. They will put it aside.

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 9:38pm On Sep 30, 2017
chemystery:
The question is who gave such animals their moral code ?

Who says they have any? We are the ones who are crazy about morality but animals simply do not care.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by chemystery: 9:38pm On Sep 30, 2017
vaxx:
animal like dog really distinguished good from bad? Any evidence.....I want us to keep to the topic of discussion... I will have ask you another questions relating your assumptions about dog? To keep the thread safe....what is good and bad in the light of common sense...
hehehehe, so you don't know?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by dalaman: 9:40pm On Sep 30, 2017
vaxx:
I don't have a problems with your stand about God.... My question is what is good and what is bad in the light of common sense? OK lets take God away from it...just reply me...

Good and bad is what the society determines in most cases based on many variables.

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by chemystery: 9:41pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Who says they have any?
You mean animals can't differentiate right from wrong?
Or you mean they only do wrong?
Or they only do right?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by dalaman: 9:41pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

If God was used as an enforcing mechanism back in the day what was God used to enforce?

Morality.

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 9:44pm On Sep 30, 2017
dalaman:

Good and bad is what the society determines in most cases based on many variables.

What are those variables? Since society determines this good and bad, is everyone in the society good to be able to determine good? Is everyone evil to be able to determine evil?

In the same society we have rapists and murderers as mentioned by DoctorAlien and they being part of the society can say their actions are good as long as its emotionally beneficial to them.

How then can society in all fairness determine what is good and what is bad when the societal leaders can also rape, murder, steal, etc. Who holds the scale of assessment for God or bad?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by vaxx: 9:44pm On Sep 30, 2017
chemystery:

It has to do with our instinct towards accessing and distinguishing benefit from harm.

this is also very subjective..... Swizerland consider prostitution legitimate profession simce it brings revenue to the national pulse of the coumtry ..despite the medical implications... Saudi Arabia consider it illegal despite the amount of cash it can raised to the pulse of the economy.... Have you seen its subjective? So to the questions what is good and bad in the light of common sense?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 9:45pm On Sep 30, 2017
dalaman:

Morality.

If God was first used to enforce morality back in the day (according to you) and now we no longer need God (according to you) , can you then say society determines morality?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by vaxx: 9:46pm On Sep 30, 2017
dalaman:

just give me 1 indications to determine it...only 1 example
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 9:46pm On Sep 30, 2017
chemystery:
You mean animals can't differentiate right from wrong?
Or you mean they only do wrong?
Or they only do right?

Animals do not know right from wrong. We are the ones who see it that way. They simply act based on their nature.

There is no morality or immorality among animals.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by shaybebaby(f): 9:47pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You do not seem to understand my OP. In a nutshell is what the law terms as criminal what it is?

If the law says there is nothing wrong with consensual sex between adults who are not married or who are married to different spouses does it make the act of adultery or fornication right?

If not, why should I then view it as wrong when societal laws do not declare them so. Are my own moral positions on the matter greater or more respectable than what the law of the land interpreted? If so, why?

Criminality and morality run side by side. Or is criminality now no longer immoral? Is criminality now also moral?

If the criminal law says adultery which is consensual is not wrong why then do we say it is?
Adultery= you are in a contract (written one) which you agreed to willingly and declared you would keep yourself for the other party. You break that particular term, you render the agreement void.

Just like you take out a mortgage and do not make your repayment which you agreed make at the onset, you are in breach. No morality, right or wrongs. FYI, that wouldn't fall under the remit of criminal law. The former is civil, the latter property law.

Criminal law=punishes offences against individuals and the society. Different societies have differences in what would be deemed punishable but those laws are usually codified into state laws. eg Islamic countries would have elements of their faith codified into their laws which would not be the same as a secular nation.

Civil Law= regulates relationships between individuals, and between individuals and organisations such as the state.

In response to your question about your own laws, as long as it is not depriving another their basic rights, wilfully causing another distress, harm or causing you to act with reckless negligence towards another, you are generally good to go.

For you to bring a claim against another based on your beliefs, you will have to show that their actions have the above mentioned on you.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by vaxx: 9:49pm On Sep 30, 2017
chemystery:
hehehehe, so you don't know?
yes because my common sense assume there is notting like good or bad so far I am getting the benefit...
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by dalaman: 9:49pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

What are those variables? Since society determines this good and bad, is everyone in the society good to be able to determine good? Is everyone evil to be able to determine evil?

In the same society we have rapists and murderers as mentioned by DoctorAlien and they being part of the society can say their actions are good as long as its emotionally beneficial to them.

How then can society in all fairness determine what is good and what is bad when the societal leaders can also rape, murder, steal, etc. Who holds the scale of assessment for God or bad?

The society through its leaders ALWAYS determine what is good and what is bad. The leaders who also double as law makers make laws that affects everybody themselves inclusive. Once the leaders label an act as bad the feelings of those that it affects(Those who engage in the acts like rapist for example doesn't matter.

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 9:49pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:

Adultery= you are in a contract (written one) which you agreed to willingly and declared you would keep yourself for the other party. You break that particular term, you render the agreement void.

Just like you take out a mortgage and do not make your repayment which you agreed make at the onset, you are in breach. No morality, right or wrongs. FYI, that wouldn't fall under the remit of criminal law. The former is civil, the latter property law.

Criminal law=punishes offences against individuals and the society. Different societies have differences in what would be deemed punishable but those laws are usually codified into state laws. eg Islamic countries would have elements of their faith codified into their laws which would not be the same as a secular nation.

Civil Law= regulates relationships between individuals, and between individuals and organisations such as the state.

In response to your question about your own laws, as long as it is not depriving another their basic rights, wilfully causing another distress, harm or causing you to act with reckless negligence towards another, you are generally good to go.

For you to bring a claim against another based on your beliefs, you will have to show that their actions have the above mentioned on you.

You are going off.

If criminal law does not frown at consensual adultery why do we see it as wrong?

Is morality or a lack of no longer based on societal laws?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 9:51pm On Sep 30, 2017
dalaman:

The society through its leaders ALWAYS determine what is good and what is bad. The leaders who also double as law makers make laws that affects everybody themselves inclusive. Once the leaders label an act as bad the feelings of those that it affects(Those who engage in the acts like rapist for example doesn't matter.

What are the many variables they use to determine what is good and bad?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by shaybebaby(f): 9:51pm On Sep 30, 2017
vaxx:
interesting questions.i will defined human as self conscious, ability to be self aware you are primate from planet earth..

All it really means to be human is that you are a homo sapien according to the evolutionist , , , what you choose to do with the advantages that come with the other creature is what decides if your brief existence was worth anything to other humans. And this will answer what is generally consider what is moral in the light of common sense? Can there be a general agreement...
You misunderstand my question, I am not asking for a definition of being human.
I am asking you what it means to you(vaxx) to be human. What makes vaxx human, what does vaxx want as a human?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 9:55pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:

You misunderstand my question, I am not asking for a definition of being human.
I am asking you what it means to you(vaxx) to be human. What makes vaxx human, what does vaxx want as a human?

What Vaxx or myself want as humans will not always be what you want as a human. Where then do we agree on what is morally right when my perception of morality may vary from yours?

A homosexual sees nothing wrong with it. That's their morality. I see everything wrong with it. Where then is the role of common sense in morality?

Where is the meeting point?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by DoctorAlien(m): 9:56pm On Sep 30, 2017
dalaman:

Everything will be wrong. The leaders will not even have time to do anything. They will just be murdering, raping and discriminating against each other. There will be total chaos till they end up exterminating themselves.

You said that the leaders determine what is beneficial to the society. Why then would racism, murder and adultery be wrong in a society where 99.9% of the members see nothing wrong with racism, murder and adultery, and in which the leaders are among the 99.9%?

Sir, what do the leaders need time to do?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by chemystery: 9:57pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Animals do not know right from wrong. We are the ones who see it that way. They simply act based on their nature.

There is no morality or immorality among animals.
Who else want to see it?
It is like saying animal poo is not poo. It is we humans that see it as poo 'cause we poo!

Even if we see it that way, we can only define it with respect to our own perspective. Which implies animals exhibits behaviours that can be distinguished as either right or wrong.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by shaybebaby(f): 10:01pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You are going off.

If criminal law does not frown at consensual adultery why do we see it as wrong?

When you say consensual, who are the parties involved?
Do you mean married couples who agree to be in an open marriage?

Or do you mean married to another but sneaking behind them to be with others?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:02pm On Sep 30, 2017
chemystery:

Who else want to see it?
It is like saying animal poo is not poo. It is we humans that see it as poo 'cause we poo!

Even if we see it that way, we can only define it with respect to our own perspective. Which implies animals exhibits behaviours that can be distinguished as either right or wrong.

You cannot speak for an animal as your perception is all you have.

You cannot say an animal knows right from wrong when your idea of this right or wrong is solely from your human perspective.

That would be you imposing your own perspective on one who does not subscribe to it.

Animals have no morals because they simply do not care. Domesticated animals can borrow from our perspective because we teach them based on our idea of morality. Animals on their own do not have the capacity for right or wrong. All they know is their natural behavior.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by DeSepiero(m): 10:02pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You are going off.

...because we are individually selfish.

When a man decides to have sex with a lady secretly to satisfy his sexual urges, how does that affect anyone else?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:02pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:

When you say consensual, who are the parties involved?
Do you mean married couples who agree to be in an open marriage?

Or do you mean married to another but sneaking behind them to be with others?

Sneaking.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by shaybebaby(f): 10:03pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

What Vaxx or myself want as humans will not always be what you want as a human. Where then do we agree on what is morally right when my perception of morality may vary from yours?

A homosexual sees nothing wrong with it. That's their morality. I see everything wrong with it. Where then is the role of common sense in morality?

Where is the meeting point?
Still, I'd like you tell me.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:04pm On Sep 30, 2017
DeSepiero:

...because we are individually selfish.

When a man decides to have sex with a lady secretly to satisfy his sexual urges, how does that affect anyone else?

We are not all selfish
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:05pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:

Still, I'd like you tell me.

I already did
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by DeSepiero(m): 10:08pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

We are not all selfish

When we want a woman (our wife) to have sex with no one else than us, we are being selfish.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Seven Deadly Characteristics Of Sin! / Pics:archaeologists Discover The City Of Sodom & Gomorrah Matching Old Testament / Does The Holy Spirit Have A Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.