Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,229 members, 7,829,396 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Atheists And Morality. A Question! - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists And Morality. A Question! (9496 Views)

You cannot be an atheists and have objective morality. / Monotheism And Morality: A Criticism / The Paradox Of Nihilism- A Problem For Atheists And Humanists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:10pm On Sep 30, 2017
DeSepiero:

When we want a woman (our wife) to have sex with no one else than us, we are being selfish.

Would you want your woman or wife to play the field to prove you selflessly love her?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by shaybebaby(f): 10:11pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Sneaking.
Because it speaks of less desirable attributes, deceptiveness, fecklessness, inconsideration, selfishness.
Also because it causes emotional distress to spouse when they find out.

Empathy makes it so that we can feel the pain of others, put ourselves in their shoes and thats why we may disapprove of acts of infidelity.

Still, it is not a crime because the wronged party is free to call time on the relationship.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by shaybebaby(f): 10:12pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

I already did
No you only stated that it may be different in some aspects to what it might mean for me.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by vaxx: 10:12pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:

You misunderstand my question, I am not asking for a definition of being human.
I am asking you what it means to you(vaxx) to be human. What makes vaxx human, what does vaxx want as a human?
it is subjective.....( emotional traits ) as human our want and needs changes as time continue due to eviromental, technological and social factor....what the present generation dream to be as human is difference from the past generation...
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:13pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:

Because it speaks of less desirable attributes, deceptiveness, fecklessness, inconsideration, selfishness.
Also because it causes emotional distress to spouse when they find out.

Empathy makes it so that we can feel the pain of others, put ourselves in their shoes and thats why we may disapprove of acts of infidelity.

Still, it is not a crime because the wronged party is free to call time on the relationship.

I never said it was a crime. I said why is it wrong if societal laws do not deem them so.

Leave emotions out of it. It takes 2 to tango. One party says it is right while the other says it is wrong so where then is the meeting point?

What gives one joy can bring sorrow to another. Wouldn't you agree?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by DeSepiero(m): 10:14pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Would you want your woman or wife to play the field to prove you selflessly love her?

I am SELFISH too

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by AgentOfAllah: 10:16pm On Sep 30, 2017
DeSepiero:

When we want a woman (our wife) to have sex with no one else than us, we are being selfish.
I can't think of a more selfish act than to bind and personalise other people's love and bodies to us using a symbolic ring and autographed papers. Yet the person making this argument claims love is selfless.

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by shaybebaby(f): 10:16pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

I never said it was a crime. I said why is it wrong if societal laws do not deem them so.

Leave emotions out of it. It takes 2 to tango. One party says it is right while the other says it is wrong so where then is the meeting point?

What gives one joy can bring sorrow to another. Wouldn't you agree?
It is wrong if there is deception involved. Call it false representation.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:16pm On Sep 30, 2017
DeSepiero:

I am SELFISH too

So why is it wrong to selflessly allow her play the field Afterall there are men who term themselves cuckolds or swingers and see nothing wrong with such a lifestyle. Why is it wrong to you then if it is right to them?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:17pm On Sep 30, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

I can't think of a more selfish act than to bind and personalise other people's love and bodies to us using a symbolic ring and autographed papers. Yet the person making this argument claims love is selfless.

Is marriage a prison?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by DeSepiero(m): 10:18pm On Sep 30, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Ironic smiley
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by AgentOfAllah: 10:18pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Is marriage a prison?
If you choose to make it so.
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:19pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:

It is wrong if there is deception involved. Call it false representation.

Deception can also serve a good purpose. So who determines good from bad deception?

Is all deception not meant to be the same?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by shaybebaby(f): 10:19pm On Sep 30, 2017
vaxx:
it is subjective.....( emotional traits ) as human our want and needs changes as time continue due to eviromental, technological and social factor....what the present generation dream to be as human is difference from the past generation...
What are the most basic human needs common across cultures and throughout our existence as species?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by shaybebaby(f): 10:20pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Deception can also serve a good purpose. So who determines good from bad deception?

Is all deception not meant to be the same?
Example?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by vaxx: 10:22pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:

What are the most basic human needs common across cultures and throughout our existence as species?
survival
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by AgentOfAllah: 10:22pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:

Example?
Religion, perhaps!?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:25pm On Sep 30, 2017
shaybebaby:

Example?

Husband needs a child for sake of posterity but has been unable to impregnate wife. She decides for his sake to try outside so as to give him a child without his knowledge. She succeeds! He is happy and so is she.

2. Someone you do not like coming around your wife comes for a visit and asks for her and you say she is out while she is sleeping in the room. Deceptively making sure he does not see her.

She did hers for sake of your joy

You did yours for sake of peace

Are those deceptions bad?
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by DeSepiero(m): 10:25pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

So why is it wrong to selflessly allow her play the field Afterall there are men who term themselves cuckolds or swingers and see nothing wrong with such a lifestyle. Why is it wrong to you then if it is right to them?

Ain't you going in circles? I said, it's because I'm selfish with her.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:27pm On Sep 30, 2017
DeSepiero:

Ain't you going in circles? I said, it's because I'm selfish with her.

I am not.

The question is who then determines right from wrong as a consensus when what is right to you can be wrong to another and vice versa

This was doctoraliens position
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 30, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

romantic love is fish love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNx7kDJ2kDI

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by vaxx: 10:28pm On Sep 30, 2017
Buterflyl1on ....one day our society we accept bestiality as a culture...... Human rights will protect them....and it shall become moral....

You can see the damage of a society without God consciousness

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by dalaman: 10:28pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

What are the many variables they use to determine what is good and bad?

Some of them might include over all benefit to the society, if it will lead to general societal progress and stability, if it will promote peaceful coexistence and harmony, if it will promote development, if it will make the majority not to disturb the leadership and go against them, If it will keep the people in line and make them not to challenge the leadership, if it will secure the general society as a whole, if it will protect the interest of the leadership and make them look good or have their way etc. There are a myriad of reasons why the leadership will label something as good or evil.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by shaybebaby(f): 10:30pm On Sep 30, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Religion, perhaps!?
Savage! grin

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by dalaman: 10:30pm On Sep 30, 2017
vaxx:
Buterflyl1on ....one day our society we accept bestiality as a culture...... Human rights will protect them....and it shall become moral....

You can see the damage of a society without God consciousness

What is God consiiousness? Societies with God consiousness accepted and practiced slavery, genocide, segregation, pillage, incest, rape etc so what exactly are you saying?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:32pm On Sep 30, 2017
dalaman:

Some of them might include over all benefit to the society, if it will lead to general societal progress and stability, if it will promote peaceful coexistence and harmony, if it will promote development, if it will make the majority not to disturb the leadership and go against them, If it will keep the people in line and make them not to challenge the leadership, if it will secure the general society as a whole, if it will protect the interest of the leadership and make them look good or have their way etc. There are a myriad of reasons why the leadership will label something as good or evil.

so as Vaxx just said, if those who crave sodomy now lobby and harass the government to make it legal and they do. would you subscribe to it as the latest moral law?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by vaxx: 10:34pm On Sep 30, 2017
dalaman:

What is God consiiousness? Societies with God consiousness accepted and practiced slavery, genocide, segregation, pillage, incest, rape etc so what exactly are you saying?
you do not belive in God existence... So my definition on what is God consciousness to you will not be accepted.... But you have not deal with my question...what is good and bad in the light of common sense? Let's forget about God now....
Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by DoctorAlien(m): 10:34pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

so as Vaxx just said, if those who crave sodomy now lobby and harass the government to make it legal and they do. would you subscribe to it as the latest moral law?

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by dalaman: 10:35pm On Sep 30, 2017
DoctorAlien:

You said that the leaders determine what is beneficial to the society. Why then would racism, murder and adultery be wrong in a society where 99.9% of the members see nothing wrong with racism, murder and adultery, and in which the leaders are among the 99.9%?

Sir, what do the leaders need time to do?

In reality there is no society where 99% will see nothing wrong with murder rape and racism. That is why I told you to tell us why it is beneficial to the society. Even in a society where 99% are rapist they will NOT be able to tell.you why rape is beneficial to the society.

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by DeSepiero(m): 10:37pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

I am not.

The question is who then determines right from wrong as a consensus when what is right to you can be wrong to another and vice versa

This was doctoraliens position

A consensus is not arrived at by one person. In a society such a consensus is reached by a senate / parliament.

1 Like

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by dalaman: 10:38pm On Sep 30, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Of course. They just did the in the United states. If you are in the US and happen to be a judge that weds people in the courts and gays come to you to wed them, you must do it because it is the law of the land and you can NOT be seen discriminating against them. You do it and you lose your Job or face severe sanctions.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists And Morality. A Question! by butterflyl1on: 10:38pm On Sep 30, 2017
DeSepiero:

A consensus is not arrived at by one person. In a society such a consensus is reached by a senate / parliament.

Good!

if those who crave sodomy now lobby and harass the Senate / parliament to make it legal and they do. would you subscribe to it as the latest moral law?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Prophet Mohammed Practised Thighing On His Child Bride,Aishaa,,? / I Heard Rubbing Crude Oil Chases Away Evil Spirits.. Myth Or Fact? / Nairaland Petition To Tax Religious Bodies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.