Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,168 members, 7,815,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" (30079 Views)

MURIC To NBC, Others: Ban Portable’s ‘Kuku Do Ritual' / NBC Bans Olamide, Davido, 9ice’s Songs / NBC Bans Olamide's "Science Student" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by agbangam: 9:07am On Oct 05, 2017
sinistermind:
We are gradually sliding into dictatorship. God help this country

we all need to becareful wit d kind of freedom of speech we are demanding for, some so call freedom of speech can cause chaos just like it did in Rewadan. Those so called politicians have means to leave d country wen it burns just like Syria while d ordinary citizens becomes d victims of d stuupid freedom of speech.
U guys need to watch documentaries on Syria war, too much freedom of everything can lead to untold hardship

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by SpComedy: 9:20am On Oct 05, 2017
According to mynd4 it is not a massacre, it was just a friendly fight carnival between the Asaba people and the Nigerian murderous military, you know it was raining in the north and tsetse fly was biting their gun so they decided to move down Asaba and hold a carnival.........

@Chxta stop wailing because according to yoruba muslims, discussing Nigeria history is HATE SPEECH.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by bodmannoni: 9:22am On Oct 05, 2017
thesicilian:
Let us know exactly what you said first.

What was said in the show has nothing to do with anything. If it isn't criminal or illegal the government has no business shutting it down

6 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Tolexander: 9:32am On Oct 05, 2017
Agentsmith002:
. Alex,you have started again,
Nope!

Asaba massacre was one of the cruel and inhuman activities perpetrated by the 2nd Division of the Nigerian Army under Colonel Muritala Muhammad.

I don't like reading about it cos it was too bad to me, a Yoruba man, let alone to an anioma person of Asaba

4 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Agentsmith002: 9:38am On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
Nope!

Asaba massacre was one of the cruel and inhuman activities perpetrated by the 2nd Division of the Nigerian Army under Colonel Muritala Muhammad.

I don't like reading about it cos it was too bad to me, a Yoruba man, let alone to an anioma person of Asaba
. you have really mingled well with the Easterners and you are dating an Igbo girl. stop saying bad about the igbos because to me ,you are more Igbo than you know, you live in aba for that matter ooo
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 05, 2017
OBJ didn't approve FoI, GEJ did even though it was used against him.....now PMB is diluting it.................I wonder what the next President will do undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Tolexander: 9:47am On Oct 05, 2017
Agentsmith002:
. you have really mingled well with the Easterners and you are dating an Igbo girl. stop saying bad about the igbos because to me ,you are more Igbo than you know, you live in aba for that matter ooo
I am not saying bad about Igbo but those Igbo wanting separation.

Do they want me to be a foreigner here in Abia, and start looking for how to renew my passports?

3 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Agentsmith002: 9:57am On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
I am not saying bad about Igbo but those Igbo wanting separation.

Do they want me to be a foreigner here in Abia, and start looking for how to renew my passports?
. so if the majority of us want Biafra ,we should let it go because ur above stated reason ?

nawaooo

12 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Tolexander: 10:02am On Oct 05, 2017
Agentsmith002:
. so if the majority of us want Biafra ,we should let it go because ur above stated reason ?

nawaooo
Which majority?

Recall all the ndigbo in other part of Nigeria then!

2 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by IkpuMmadu: 10:12am On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
Holocaust discussion and debate on DW were arranged to for objective reason and not subjective reasons.

Discussed by historians, not just anyone. And not for the aim of setting a race, tribe and others against another one.

And what makes you think that this wasn't for objective reason

What the fück is wrong with you guys

11 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by IkpuMmadu: 10:12am On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
Which majority?

Recall all the ndigbo in other part of Nigeria then!

Am Igbo and I am not in Igbo land and I want biafra

Ok tell me go home

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Tolexander: 10:18am On Oct 05, 2017
IkpuMmadu:

And what makes you think that this wasn't for objective reason

What the fück is wrong with you guys

It was for objective reason and the NBC had to call in straight away to cut him off?

Na only him ever talked about Asaba massacre on media?

Who doesn't know from the guys post, the only thing that will come from his mouth will be hate speech?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by IkpuMmadu: 10:20am On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
It was for objective reason and the NBC had to call in straight away to cut him off?

Na only him ever talked about Asaba massacre?

Who doesn't know from the guys post, the only thing that will come from his mouth will be hate speech?

What is objective to you is subjective to someone

Grow up

12 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Tolexander: 10:26am On Oct 05, 2017
IkpuMmadu:

What is objective to you is subjective to someone
Grow up

Now I know you are naive of the two words!

1 Like

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Tolexander: 10:28am On Oct 05, 2017
IkpuMmadu:

Am Igbo and I am not in Igbo land and I want biafra

Ok tell me go home
If you are really serious about the Biafra issue, you will go home to agitate and not be hiding behind an anonymous monicker to crave for secession.

4 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Raziii(m): 10:38am On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:

Na only him ever talked about Asaba massacre on media?

How well do you know about Asaba massacre? If you do, then you'd agree with me that those people need some closure. The USA had to apologise for the nuclear weapons dropped on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and 9, 1945. They also took responsibility, that's closure.

Saturday will be the 50th anniversary of the unfortunate atrocity and only a few people know it ever happened, no one has taken responsibility. No one has apologised. Our country needs to heal but for that to happen, the right medication must be applied!

Cheta was there because he was invited, he was invited because he knows so much about the Asaba massacre.

So many youth of today are so disgraceful, they have chosen to stand for nothing but go about castigating people that have chosen to stand for something.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by tsdarkside(m): 10:49am On Oct 05, 2017
hate speeches must stop......do you still see europeans arguing with each other about ww2...??....

why are you still talking about the biafran war??...

we will not allow criminals to hijack the sorrow of others again like cownunu did...

1 Like

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by slivertongue: 10:50am On Oct 05, 2017
KEVIND:
THE ASABA MASSACRE

The Federal troops entered Asaba around October 5, and began ransacking houses and killing civilians, claiming they were Biafran sympathisers. Leaders summoned the towns people to assemble on the morning of October 7, hoping to end the violence through a show of support for "One Nigeria." Hundreds of men, women, and children, many wearing the ceremonial akwa ocha (white) attire paraded along the main street, singing, dancing, and chanting "One Nigeria." At a junction, men and teenage boys were separated from women and young children, and gathered in an open square at Ogbe-Osowa village.
Federal troops revealed machine guns, and orders were given, reportedly by Second-in-Command, Maj. Ibrahim Taiwo , to open fire. It is estimated that more than 700 men and boys were killed, some as young as 12 years old, in addition to many more killed in the preceding days.
The bodies of some victims were retrieved by family members and buried at home. But most were buried in [mass grave]]s, without appropriate ceremony. Many extended families lost dozens of men and boys.
Federal troops occupied Asaba for many months, during which time most of the town was destroyed, many women and girls were raped or forcibly "married," and large numbers of citizens fled, often not returning until the war ended in 1970.

SUSPECT:

Ibrahim B. Haruna has sometimes been named as the officer who ordered the massacre, following a report of his testimony to the Nigerian Human Rights Violations Investigations Commission, known as the Oputa Panel.

...and Gowon and co keep telling the younger geneation that they fought to keep nigeria one but they KILLED the innocent to keep nigeria disunited. the narrative of the war is a protected secret but not for long. ofcourse much has been said in recent time and Gowon himself apologised for the evil done the people

6 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by slivertongue: 10:52am On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
Many of these people posting above me know nothing about the massacre in Asaba during the civil war o.

It isn't something that is meant to be really discussed on air.

WHY??

7 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Tolexander: 10:57am On Oct 05, 2017
Raziii:
How well do you know about Asaba massacre? If you do, then you'd agree with me that those people need some closure. The USA had to apologise for the nuclear weapons dropped on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and 9, 1945. They also took responsibility, that's closure. Saturday will be it's 50th anniversary of the unfortunate atrocity and only a few people know it ever happened, no one has taken responsibility.

Cheta was there because he was invited, he was invited because he knows so much about the Asaba massacre.

So many youth of today are so disgraceful, tgey have chosen to stand for nothing but go about castigating people that have chosen to stand for something.
The 2nd world war is over, the Japanese accepted defeated and the US apologized and claimed responsibility for the atrocities destroying the two cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with little boy and fat man resp.

Can the above be said about Nigeria?
Has anyone really claimed responsibility for ordering the massacre?
Who had claimed responsibility, Late Muritala Muhammad who was the commanding officer of the 2nd division in 1967, or Ibrahim Haruna who replaced him in 1968?
Though we know the major participating soldiers then.

Asaba massacre is meant to be discussed to make peace with people of Asaba and not this time when Nigeria is sitting on a gunpowder keg to avoid further disaster.

7 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by nawtyme: 11:34am On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
what is this one saying undecided
Simple, since they don't know what happened during the massacre at Asaba, why don't you tell us what happened?

6 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Raziii(m): 11:37am On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
The 2nd world war is over, the Japanese accepted defeated and the US apologized and claimed responsibility for the atrocities destroying the two cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with little boy and fat man resp.

Who had claimed responsibility, Late Muritala Muhammad who was the commanding officer of the 2nd division in 1967, or Ibrahim Haruna who replaced him in 1968?

Asaba massacre is meant to be discussed to make peace with people of Asaba and not this time when Nigeria is sitting on a gunpowder keg to avoid further disaster.
you are right Tolex. Things are fragile at the moment.

But just to add, the people talking about it right now aren't trying to destabilize the country. They are talking because its 50th anniversary is on Saturday.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Tolexander: 11:50am On Oct 05, 2017
Raziii:
you are right Tolex. Things are fragile at the moment.

But just to add, the people talking about it right now aren't trying to destabilize the country. They are talking because its 50th anniversary is on Saturday.
Asaba massacre was an unfortunate activity of the Nigerian Army during the civil war. Something I don't like hearing about cos the it gives so much sadness every time I come across it.
Little wonder some of the culprits died unfortunate death.
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Nobody: 12:23pm On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
Many of these people posting above me know nothing about the massacre in Asaba during the civil war o.

It isn't something that is meant to be really discussed on air.

Please why can't it be discussed on air?

5 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
Nope!

Is this not the more reason why this aspect of our history should be discussed? If it causes you so much pain just reading it, how about the Asaba people who were the victims?
The ONLY way victims of genocide can ever heal and perhaps forgive is if there is an open discussion on the issue and an open acknowledgement of mistakes and wrongdoing. Many countries have adopted this approach in bringing healing and closure to their population. Examples include Rwanda, South Africa and Europe after WW11.
So I ask again why do u really think Nigeria should not address the pains of the civil war? Are we afraid of the truth? No wonder Nigerian history is not taught in schools. Until we as a nation are bold enough to address this issue, the anger and perhaps hatred will continue, sometimes buried underneath the skin and resurfaces at the slightest reminder or provocation

16 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 05, 2017
https://mbasic.facebook.com/video_redirect/?src=https%3A%2F%2Fvideo-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fv%2Ft42.1790-2%2F22270419_1969065136709580_2174715321204604928_n.mp4%3Fefg%3DeyJybHIiOjQxNCwicmxhIjo0MDk2LCJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9%26oh%3D8386360665435525fc4f773c398d2921%26oe%3D59D6480D&source=misc&id=1486599964766952&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1677409538998555%3Atl_objid.1677409538998555%3Athid.100001885749982%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1509519599%3A-1441167542326470764&__tn__=FHH-R. The Truth cannot be hidden forver evidence of genocide surfaces a 52years priceless evidence of the killing of ibos and the truth behind Biafra war surfacing

1 Like

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by nototribalist: 12:45pm On Oct 05, 2017
thesicilian:
Let us know exactly what you said first.
we're now in military regime

8 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 05, 2017
As a nation we have not healed from the wounds of the civil war. And until we do we might not be able to build a great society and attain the nationhood we desire. The first step is to go for Truth & Reconciliation. Then we center our political development around equity and justice for all Nigerians

10 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by thesicilian: 1:23pm On Oct 05, 2017
bodmannoni:

What was said in the show has nothing to do with anything. If it isn't criminal or illegal the government has no business shutting it down
Your first sentence contradicts the second. How will you know if it isn't criminal or illegal when you haven't even heard what was said?
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by meccuno: 1:33pm On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:

The Japanese have forgotten but have they forgiven America?

5 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Raziii(m): 1:51pm On Oct 05, 2017
thesicilian:

Your first sentence contradicts the second. How will you know if it isn't criminal or illegal when you haven't even heard what was said?
For the record, what was discussed on the show isn't criminal. Just like Tolex said, sensitive? Yeah! because of where we are at the moment but definitely not criminal nor was it illegal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by dominique(f): 3:00pm On Oct 05, 2017
Ah! Chxta, one of the pioneering Nairalanders. Which one is Asaba massacre? Did it happen recently?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians Have Bought The American Market - Ghanaian Music Executive (video) / Let's Save Majek Fashek / The New Waves (dready Boys)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.