Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,216 members, 7,815,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" (30081 Views)

MURIC To NBC, Others: Ban Portable’s ‘Kuku Do Ritual' / NBC Bans Olamide, Davido, 9ice’s Songs / NBC Bans Olamide's "Science Student" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by devvland(m): 8:48pm On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
Holocaust discussion and debate on DW were arranged for objective reasons and not subjective reasons.

Discussed by historians, not just anyone. And not for the aim of setting a race, tribe and others against another one.

On point and very intelligently rendered. The NBC has the mandate to foster unity among Nigerians by regulating broadcast content in order to ensure that ethnic sensibilities are not ruffled. It is the professional responsibility of a trained broadcaster to not air material that will cause disaffection among the people's of Nigeria.

Discussing the civil war massacres on air is an irresponsible thing to do. But it's a populist gimmick that a crafty broadcaster who wishes to garner popularity and a large following would do. He may not necessarily do it cos he cares; but probably to gain the affection of a segment of society and to obtain the image of a people's champion and speaker of truth.

The people are gullible. Everybody uses them. In the end the people suffer after conflicts begin to erupt. Nigeria is at a volatile place right now: its like the country is sitting on a keg of gun powder. A tiny spark can cause the greatest of explosions.

So NBC was right to stop the show. You should't syphon popularity to yourself and your station by playing on the wounds of the nation. It's vile and unethical.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by davillian(m): 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2017
I have a book in pdf on this massacre. Nigerian army are heartless.

1 Like

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by billyG(m): 9:19pm On Oct 05, 2017
That is promotion of hate speech, which shld not b condole.
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Dantedasz(m): 9:21pm On Oct 05, 2017
I learnt of the Asaba massacres from a friend who hailed from Asaba back in the 80's. I tried to do my personal research on the incident but found it was totally blacked out of Nigerian history.
We need to discuss These terrible issues of genocide in order not to repeat the mistakes. Two wrongs never a right made.
Murtala Muhammad was said to have invaded the Central Bank in Benin and committed a lot of atrocities
He later became a Head of State. His portrait is on our currency. Airports and roads are named after him to eulogise him. Why can't we discuss his mistakes and errors without being censored?
Ibrahim Taiwo massacred innocent people at Assaba,he later became a military governor of Kwara state and was assassinated during Dimka's coup in 76. He has roads and monuments named after him. Why can't We discuss his attrocites and errors in order to chart a new path by learning from the past?
Any country that refuses to discuss it's past errors and mistakes is doomed to repeat the same in it's future.

5 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by IkpuMmadu: 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2017
devvland:

On point and very intelligently rendered. The NBC has the mandate to foster unity among Nigerians by regulating broadcast content in order to ensure that ethnic sensibilities are not ruffled. It is the professional responsibility of a trained broadcaster to not air material that will cause disaffection among the people's of Nigeria.

Discussing the civil war massacres on air is an irresponsible thing to do. But it's a populist gimmick that a crafty broadcaster who wishes to garner popularity and a large following would do. He may not necessarily do it cos he cares; but probably to gain the affection of a segment of society and to obtain the image of a people's champion and speaker of truth.

The people are gullible. Everybody uses them. In the end the people suffer after conflicts begin to erupt. Nigeria is at a volatile place right now: its like the country is sitting on a keg of gun powder. A tiny spark can cause the greatest of explosions.

So NBC was right to stop the show. You should't syphon popularity to yourself and your station by playing on the wounds of the nation. It's vile and unethical.

Why use the term foster
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by IJOBA2: 10:53pm On Oct 05, 2017
GetMeRight:

I'm a Yoruba muslim. Your forefathers had been voting for Hausa/Fulani for many years. No one challenge them.
In 2019, you and your people are going to vote for another Hausa/Fulani.
YOU MEAN MY FOREFATHERS VOTED FOR PROPHET BUHARI
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Tizbid(m): 11:17pm On Oct 05, 2017
Tolexander:
Many of these people posting above me know nothing about the massacre in Asaba during the civil war o.

It isn't something that is meant to be really discussed on air.

I really don't have a name for your school of though,as it's way beyond crass.....so in a bid not sound insultive,I will just SMH4U.

2 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by okenta2017: 11:37pm On Oct 05, 2017
agbangam:

we all need to becareful wit d kind of freedom of speech we are demanding for, some so call freedom of speech can cause chaos just like it did in Rewadan. Those so called politicians have means to leave d country wen it burns just like Syria while d ordinary citizens becomes d victims of d stuupid freedom of speech.
U guys need to watch documentaries on Syria war, too much freedom of everything can lead to untold hardship

Sometimes you make things scary in order to keep people in perpetual slavery. The asaba masacare was a reality. when

Muritala was killed there was jubilation in asaba. Midwest was under his command.

1 Like

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Nobody: 11:42pm On Oct 05, 2017
tng:

Ehn!, biafran soldiers were saints o, it's only the Nigerians that did wrong. They didn't suffer any casualties either, only biafrans

What is the meaning of Truth and Reconciliation in Conflict Resolution?
I understand it to mean that each party in the conflict comes out to state where they were wronged. Each claim is thoroughly investigated. Blames are apportioned where necessary. Apologies are tendered and accepted. Then forgiveness and reconciliation follow naturally. This is the only way to heal and bring closure to the ills of the civil war. Above all this is the only way to make sure that seeds that can lead to another war with it's attendant human suffering are not sowed again and nurtured. It creates environment for true juctice and fairness in the society and among the constituent groups that make the country.
I don't know if you understand me. No one is saying that only one side committed war crimes or inhuman acts. Each side must face up to their actions during the war. That's the way to heal. We must forgive. And we must move on to build a great nation.
Do you know that Japan committed all manner of war crimes against Korea during WW2? Japan has apologized for some of the crimes but refused to acknowledge some aspects of crimes. Up till today Korea is still calling on Japan to own up to the crimes and apologize. Are we Nigerians wiser than these people?

3 Likes

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Nobody: 1:24am On Oct 06, 2017
Omeokachie:
Nigerians exchanged freedom for chains.

Better than stealing-is-not-corruption
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by GetMeRight: 3:01am On Oct 06, 2017
IJOBA2:
YOU MEAN MY FOREFATHERS VOTED FOR PROPHET BUHARI
Voted for Buhari's forefathers and you will do that too in 2019. What's the difference?
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by egoldman(m): 5:19am On Oct 06, 2017
To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time, I have never seen something like this in Nigeria, stopping a live radio program cos the government is not happy with it, well Buhari seems to be breaking new highs again.
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by tiredoflife(m): 6:09am On Oct 06, 2017
The worst thing that has happened to Nigeria is the internet and the best thing that has happened to Nigeria is the internet
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Chukazu: 7:06am On Oct 06, 2017
How can we build a future when we don't know the past?

1 Like

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by logica(m): 7:20am On Oct 06, 2017
sunnyeinstein:

Really?!!! Pls go and read history to know what the biafran soldiers did in edo state, specifically d auchi and other muslim areas in that state and you'd be shocked.

P.S.: I'm in no way supporting the naija soldiers' action but it was after the biafrans carried out unspeakable horror on unarmed men, women and children in the midwest, so igbos should stop crying wolf when they themselves started the show
Aha
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by logica(m): 7:20am On Oct 06, 2017
bkool7:

"When you are crying because you were hurt in a fight, it is meaningful to see what your
opponent also suffered.
When you insist that you alone suffered, you
might need to be informed you are not alone in suffering.
When you use your belief that you alone suffer
to try to compel people to behave as you want,
those other people need to go out of their way
to educate you.
Propaganda driven by some Igbos who have not
recovered from the defeat of Biafra wants to
compel Nigeria into a position of sole or central
responsibility for the horrors of the Nigerian
Civil War of 1967 -1970.
This effort at compulsion is accompanied by
threats of violence, vengeance and prophecies
of doom for Nigeria.
One of these efforts at forcing others to behave
as these people want is the loud cry that they did not
commit any war crimes.
Biafra is thus depicted as a saintly enterprise
and Nigeria as the absolute devil"

At Abudu, over 300 bodies,
including those of children,
were found in the Ossiomo river
as the Biafrans withdrew. [46]
Similarly, on 20 September
1967, 'there was a mass killing
of non-Ibo MidWesterners at
Boji-Boji Agbor', and on 23
September, 'non-Ibo speaking
MidWesterners were
apprehended by rebel soldiers
at Asaba, Ibusa and Agbor and
taken [in two lorries] to a
rubber plantation along Uromi-
Agbor road and massacred'.[47]
The more minor cases of rape,
extortion, seizure of properties,
and other punishments
featured abundantly.
For instance, a Warri-based
lawyer, E. K. Iseru, testified at
the Tribunal that he was
stripped naked and detained
for three days without food for
agitating for the Rivers State,
and, when he complained of
hunger, he was promptly told:
'there is no food for Hausa
friends'.

rethinkingbiafra..co.ke/2012/10/biafran-war-crimes-horror-in-midwest.html?m=1
Aha
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by logica(m): 7:27am On Oct 06, 2017
Dantedasz:

Murtala Muhammad was said to have invaded the Central Bank in Benin and committed a lot of atrocities
Sorry. Biafran propaganda. It is on record that the looting of the CBN in Benin was carried out by moles planted by Ojukwu amongst the Biafran Liberation Front led by Victor Banjo in the invasion of the Mid-West; after Banjo had refused to carry out the order himself.
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by IJOBA2: 7:39am On Oct 06, 2017
GetMeRight:

Voted for Buhari's forefathers and you will do that too in 2019. What's the difference?
DID HIS FOREFATHERS DO WHAT YOUR BELOVED PROPHET IS CURRENTLY DOING NOW
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by BetaThings: 7:53am On Oct 06, 2017
IJOBA2:
SHAKING MY HEAD FOR THESE MUSLIMS FROM THE WESTangry

Shaking my head for you, the implacable religious and ethnic bigot.
Mosques were burnt in Aba and Enugu
At first you guys denied that a mosque was burnt in Enugu

Has there been any radio show to discuss the killing of Muslims in Asaba?
Or the hunting and killing of Hausas by IPOB - there are videos of that on Youtube. Have these been discussed on radio?
Or the Muslims and Northerners killed (and yes Yoruba mosque was burnt in Aba) not human beings to be discussed?
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by BetaThings: 8:00am On Oct 06, 2017
egoldman:
To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time, I have never seen something like this in Nigeria, stopping a live radio program cos the government is not happy with it, well Buhari seems to be breaking new highs again.

So? What is the aim of the program?
To reform Nigeria or inflame passion or lead to more killings?
If people are killed unjustly, go about seeking redress in an orderly manner to ensure measured justice
When ordinary protests are hijacked by hoodlums, a lot of innocent people get injured. What is the benefit of the protest not done in an orderly manner

Breeding hate does not necessarily mean that the advocate will benefit from it
Injustice of any kind should not be condoned and any fair-minded who hopes to answer to God someday will join in look sincerely for redress
But pursuing the path of anarchy will NEVER be the option for reasonable people
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by BetaThings: 8:11am On Oct 06, 2017
Dantedasz:

We need to discuss These terrible issues of genocide in order not to repeat the mistakes. Two wrongs never a right made.
He later became a Head of State. His portrait is on our currency. Airports and roads are named after him to eulogise him. Why can't we discuss his mistakes and errors without being censored?
Ibrahim Taiwo massacred innocent people at Assaba,he later became a military governor of Kwara state and was assassinated during Dimka's coup in 76. He has roads and monuments named after him. Why can't We discuss his attrocites and errors in order to chart a new path by learning from the past?
Any country that refuses to discuss it's past errors and mistakes is doomed to repeat the same in it's future.

Now the war went on for 3 years
Are you saying that troops from the federal side were killing Biafran troops alone?
Were Biafran soldiers not killing people on the Nigerian side
Tell us the people on the Biafra side who went through Mid-West (Current Edo and Delta States) and Ore (In Ondo State)
Tell us what they later became because you seem to believe that all the commanders on the Nigerian side should not become anything later but that the ones on the Biafran side can later hold any position

This is the discussion you should initiate if you are truly desirous of honest discussion, leading to resolution of issues
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by BetaThings: 8:14am On Oct 06, 2017
okenta2017:
Sometimes you make things scary in order to keep people in perpetual slavery. The asaba masacare was a reality. when

Muritala was killed there was jubilation in asaba. Midwest was under his command.
I hope you realise that people react based on what they are told
Mandela was a terrorist in 1975, 1980, 1990 and a hero in 2000 onwards
So?
As a young Muslim boy, I was told that Jihad is holy war, now what was the Crusade?
You think people of Ore are happy with Ojukwu?
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by BetaThings: 8:16am On Oct 06, 2017
GreyLaw:

We were supposed to elect someone better than Jonathan!

Moreover, when it comes to civility, diplomacy and democratic values, no sane person will compare President Buhari with President Jonathan.

Buhari is a known hard man; he finds it difficult to work in a democratic setting.

No, N13m people did not believe what Jonathan did was wrong
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by IJOBA2: 8:18am On Oct 06, 2017
BetaThings:

Shaking my head for you, the implacable religious and ethnic bigot.
Mosques were burnt in Aba and Enugu
At first you guys denied that a mosque was burnt in Enugu

Has there been any radio show to discuss the killing of Muslims in Asaba?
Or the hunting and killing of Hausas by IPOB - there are videos of that on Youtube. Have these been discussed on radio?
Or the Muslims and Northerners killed (and yes Yoruba mosque was burnt in Aba) not human beings to be discussed?
MOSQUE IS NOW A HUMAN BEING ABI YOUR BELOVED BOKO HARAM BURNT MORE THAN 3000 CHURCHES IN THE NORTH YET NO SINGLE MUSLIM COMPLAINED.
EVEN YOUR BELOVED PROPHET BUHARI DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

1 Like

Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by BetaThings: 8:21am On Oct 06, 2017
achi4u:
Hausas and yorubas has committed atrocities and genocide against their fellow countrymen.

Nigeria will never stand, not when the blood of the innocents souls keep crying and more killings continues at the same time.
So it is no longer Gowon who is not Hausa?
And who massacred Yorubas in Ore
And the masses in mid west occupied by Biafra
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by IJOBA2: 8:24am On Oct 06, 2017
THIS BETATHINGS GUY IS A POTENTIAL TERRORIST

COLONELDRAKE AND ALCATRAZ005: BETATHINGS AKA GOKE7 IS A YORUBA MUSLIM TERRORIST
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by Dantedasz(m): 8:24am On Oct 06, 2017
BetaThings:

Now the war went on for 3 years
Are you saying that troops from the federal side were killing Biafran troops alone?
Were Biafran soldiers not killing people on the Nigerian side
Tell us the people on the Biafra side who went through Mid-West (Current Edo and Delta States) and Ore (In Ondo State)
Tell us what they later became because you seem to believe that all the commanders on the Nigerian side should not become anything later but that the ones on the Biafran side can later hold any position

This is the discussion you should initiate if you are truly desirous of honest discussion, leading to resolution of issues

I am not talking about Biafra here.
I am talking about Asaba people who were invaded by Biafrans forcefully.
Later Asaba was liberated by Federal troops who proceeded to line up all the males in Asaba and gun them down in cold blood.
This is a group of people caught in the cross fire between Two warring factions by fate.
The history of that massacre needs to be discussed so that such a horrendous cold blooded murder does not repeat itself. If we can have monuments and boulevards named after the perpetrators of this crime,then common sense dictates that the victims of this massacre, the nameless males of Asaba should have a monument built in their remembrance.
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by BetaThings: 8:25am On Oct 06, 2017
IJOBA2:
MOSQUE IS NOW A HUMAN BEING ABI YOUR BELOVED BOKO HARAM BURNT MORE THAN 3000 CHURCHES IN THE NORTH YET NO SINGLE MUSLIM COMPLAINED.
EVEN YOUR BELOVED PROPHET BUHARI DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

So what about the people
- murdered in Asaba
- the people being hunted by IPOB in those

Usually when people burn properties they kill the owners in the process too

You should remember that ALL of us will come before God one day and no EVIDENCE will be hidden on that day and propaganda will not avail
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by IJOBA2: 8:30am On Oct 06, 2017
BetaThings:

So what about the people
- murdered in Asaba
- the people being hunted by IPOB in those

Usually when people burn properties they kill the owners in the process too

You should remember that ALL of us will come before God one day and no EVIDENCE will be hidden on that day and propaganda will not avail
YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED MY QUESTION. DID YOUR BELOVED PROPHET BUHARI CONDEMN THE MADALLA MASSACRE AND THE BURNING OF OVER 3000 CHURCHES IN THE NORTH WAS IT NOT THE SAME GREATEST PROPHET OF ISLAM THAT ONCE SAID THAT "FIGHT AGAINST BOKOHARAM IS A FIGHT AGAINST THE NORTH
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by RoyalUc(m): 8:38am On Oct 06, 2017
Fyi0:

Shut up there!
What has Trump done to those that continually insult and abuse him. What has the American government done to the KKK, neo-nazis, et al.
Are China and N Korea democratic countries? Disgusting!

I am sorry bro. I don't normally respond to comments with insults and abuses.

Sorry if I offended you.
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by BetaThings: 8:41am On Oct 06, 2017
Dantedasz:

I am not talking about Biafra here.
I am talking about Asaba people who were invaded by Biafrans forcefully.

The history of that massacre needs to be discussed so that such a horrendous cold blooded murder does not repeat itself.
Personally I hate to discuss the civil war because I find the account of mass killings of Nigerians disturbing
This is my personal weakness
However the reality is that soldiers (on every side) are trained to kill and who do you think will bring them to account
Because they were most likely acting on orders - I can assure you that you will be shocked at the evil that the same Nigerian Army is doing in the North East
A lot of our people posting here about atrocities of the Nigerian Army will do worse should there be a war between Nigeria and Biafra which I pray against
Civilians hold their fire when in doubt; soldiers on the other hand fire and kill when in doubt
That is why nobody in my family will EVER marry a soldier - they don't value life

Dantedasz:

If we can have monuments and boulevards named after the perpetrators of this crime,then common sense dictates that the victims of this massacre, the nameless males of Asaba should have a monument built in their remembrance.
I am nost sure anyone will do this because they will have to rewrite history and reopen wounds
Just know that the average soldier is a villain to be avoided - look at what they did in Odi and Zaki Biam

Meanwhile as a Muslim, I believe in divorce. If anyone wants to leave, the terms should be discussed peacefully without a single drop of blood shed
I was created by Allah and He will provide my basic needs. I don't need to be in Nigeria of 923k sq km to achieve that
Re: NBC Shuts Down Show On Radio Discussing "Asaba Massacre" by BetaThings: 8:44am On Oct 06, 2017
IJOBA2:
YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED MY QUESTION. DID YOUR BELOVED PROPHET BUHARI CONDEMN THE MADALLA MASSACRE AND THE BURNING OF OVER 3000 CHURCHES IN THE NORTH WAS IT NOT THE SAME GREATEST PROPHET OF ISLAM THAT ONCE SAID THAT "FIGHT AGAINST BOKOHARAM IS A FIGHT AGAINST THE NORTH

You are unduly annoying
Did I ever call Nnamdi Kanu or Jonathan your Prophet?
DId you come here for a discussion without rancour or you just want polemics?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians Have Bought The American Market - Ghanaian Music Executive (video) / Let's Save Majek Fashek / The New Waves (dready Boys)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.