Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will (33603 Views)

Throwback Photos Of IVD And His Late Wife Bimbo When They Were Young Lovers / One Of My Sons Looks Exactly Like My Late Father / Man Fights Wife For Not Using Vibrator After He Traveled Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by dvee2: 9:22pm On Oct 05, 2017
They always shout that Islam is backwards, Northerners are backwards, meanwhile in 2017 a woman can not inherit wealth in Igbo Land. Na wa

7 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by TimeMod1: 9:22pm On Oct 05, 2017
frenzyduchess:
The law will have to knock senses into him if he continues to tow this path of stupidity, seems he was waiting for the death of his father to claim everything he never worked for undecided
we all await what we get when our fathers pass on unless your dad is damn poor.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Nobody: 9:24pm On Oct 05, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:
depending on where it is, and what property that is being given out, the culture and tradition may take precedents ova d will
The law will preced not culture

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 9:26pm On Oct 05, 2017
woodmood:

In the first part of your argument you said Yoruba and now you say in benin. Are you related to confuscus? Always learn to articulate your points and get your facts before coming on line. Fyi, Yoruba tradition does not discriminate between children when it comes to assets sharing.

guy calm down.
Yoruba is the umbrella, Benin is a subset unda d big Yoruba umbrella.

are u will to bet ur moniker that in the Beni culture a man cannot will out his last house to any body except d first son ?

if yes, reply if u r not willing then move ahead

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by cococandy(f): 9:29pm On Oct 05, 2017
Most traditional practices are misogynistic and disgusting.

Yes we have this in Igbo land and more even.
In Yoruba land there are also very disgusting practices against women and well as in Hausa land. Feminism should be embraced in all corners of Nigeria and we will stop hearing stupid shyt like this.
You guys are making it a thing of tribes while forgetting the most important culprits in all of this.

Unbridled patriarchy. Toxic masculinity

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Emilord(m): 9:30pm On Oct 05, 2017
The man is just greedy. Such barbaric custom does no longer apply in the modern times. See the supreme court decision in the case of Ukeje v Ukeje decided in 2014,see the lead judgement delivered by Rhodes Vivour JSC.

2 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Egein(m): 9:30pm On Oct 05, 2017
This is a snippet of what Biafra would look like it ever comes to being. Saudi Arabian women will be freer than their Biafran counterparts.

Do you know that in Igboland women, by tradition, aren't to inherit landed property?
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by kolexy(m): 9:35pm On Oct 05, 2017
Josephjnr:
Yes! Most Africans consider female children worthless and not actually part of the family. However, he should respect his father's will for the man have the right to even give him(the first child) nothing and give all to the daughters.

Most Africans or Ibos?

3 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by nextstep(m): 9:36pm On Oct 05, 2017
The guy is an idiot. With a will, you can do whatever you want with your assets, including give them away to charity or whomsoever you please. Instead of hustling to make his own wealth, he's there fighting over somebody else's hard work.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Emilord(m): 9:36pm On Oct 05, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

guy calm down.

are u will to bet ur moniker that in the Beni culture a man cannot will out his last house to any body except d first son ?

you are correct. its called iji-ogbe custom of inheritance

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Hashimyussufamao(m): 9:39pm On Oct 05, 2017
Mynd44:
Show him the supreme court judgement. If he wants to live in 1645, he is free to build a time machine and go back in time else he should go work for his own wealth.
*i dnt mind if u pple ban me again, buh bro pls kindly check my signature, it took me time 2carry out the task, i beg u dnt let my effort waste hlp me with fp pls
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by woodmood: 9:39pm On Oct 05, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

guy calm down.

No need to bet. All I want from you is to emphasize that in benin it is like that and not the whole of Yoruba race.
The argument about which of the tribes is a sub-sect of the other will not only derail this topic but will not end today.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Amarabae(f): 9:41pm On Oct 05, 2017
What I know is that in IGBO CULTURE, women dont partake in sharing of hereditary lands in the village,
but other properties outside can be shared to the daughters,
my mum inherited a big private secondary school from her fathers will,
lets not generalise!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Sixaxis: 9:42pm On Oct 05, 2017
Selfish motherfvckr!!
Are they not humans?

3 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by ipobarecriminals: 9:44pm On Oct 05, 2017
embarassed embarassed sad sad wink cheesy grin cool that's their tradition/ lifestyle. LAND GRABBERS

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Positivepoint(m): 9:45pm On Oct 05, 2017
So the claim that igbos are Christians is just a ruse, they believed so much in traditional practices than the so called religion, no wonder today they even claim Judaism.

3 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by YelloweWest: 9:45pm On Oct 05, 2017
Agbaletu:
In as much as i respect Igbo culture, but in this case, this guy will lose. He should go and read supreme court verdict on the female right to inheritance in Igboland. It would have been easier for him to claim all the inheritance if the father died intestate.
I'm a lawyer. Even in that instance he would have lost except the property is customary. (hereditary )

If his dad bought it during his life time. The property would not be governed by customary law therefore the plea of illegitimacy due to gender would be thrown out.

The guy is just an idiot.

2 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by YelloweWest: 9:46pm On Oct 05, 2017
Amarabae:
What I know is that in IGBO CULTURE, women dont partake in sharing of hereditary lands in the village,
lets not generalise!
Exactly.

3 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by aalangel(f): 9:46pm On Oct 05, 2017
Praktikals:
I m sure he is IPOB member. Even their leader is still leaving under his father's roof @ 50 years.

His father that willed properties to his daughters is IPOB too...I know this thread will turn to a tribal war...Nairalanders and their mods are so insensitive.

6 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by nextstep(m): 9:48pm On Oct 05, 2017
Augustap:
Useless man. Instead of him to work and write a will for his own children, he's fighting his sisters over their father's properties. It's only when irrelevant things come up dt you'll see some people following tradition to the letter.
Guys if you're writing a will, include your daughters, they are your children as well, they are not stray dogs

Quite right... and the same guy will also conveniently forget that part of his responsibility as first son is to take care of his siblings. I doubt he's done that.

In fact, I'm beginning to think it's better to give away property to ones female children while you are living. I've seen so much maltreatment of women on this matter of property.

6 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by chigoizie7(m): 9:50pm On Oct 05, 2017
Even though I don't like the idea of not including the female children.

But when it comes to tradition, most judges do wash their hands off it , especially this who understand the tradition well. They will advice u all to go home and settle out of court.

An Igbo adage says. " ndi nwuru anwu kesie, ndi di ndu, ekegharia".
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Josephjnr(m): 9:53pm On Oct 05, 2017
kolexy:

Most Africans or Ibos?

Which tribe are you and what do you guys think of women?

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Augustap(f): 9:53pm On Oct 05, 2017
nextstep:

Quite right... and the same guy will also conveniently forget that part of his responsibility as first son is to take care of his siblings. I doubt he's done that.

In fact, I'm beginning to think it's better to give away property to ones female children while you are living. I've seen so much maltreatment of women on this matter of property.
Sometimes illiteracy contributes greatly to this stupid act, anyway women count too
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 9:57pm On Oct 05, 2017
woodmood:

No need to bet. All I want from you is to emphasize that in benin it is like that and not the whole of Yoruba race.
The argument about which of the tribes is a sub-sect of the other will not only derail this topic but will not end today.

for ur info the topic here is about the IGBO custom.
I only said that in some cultures and some properties that customs overule the will.

and I made reference to the Iji-Ogbe custom of the Benin people a subset of the Yoruba kingdom to back my claim.

so if u r poised on holding on to my earlier arguments which was that in Yoruba king, based on the place, and property that culture will overul a will..
then I will tell you that the place in the Yoruba kingdom is the Benin Area and the property in question is the Ijio-Ogbe...
so what's your argument exactly??
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by fuckboys: 9:58pm On Oct 05, 2017
Daeylar:
Wonderful father, teach your son gender equality from the grave, getting angry over property that isn't his, a disgrace
women should quit this line already, there can never be gender equality in this lifetime, maybe in your next life time so deal with it.

All these females parasites still depending on men for livelyhood will still come online screaming gender equality angry

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by ipobarecriminals: 9:59pm On Oct 05, 2017
Positivepoint:
So the claim that igbos are Christians is just a ruse, they believed so much in traditional practices than the so called religion, no wonder today they even claim Judaism.
FAKE LIFESTYLE/FAKE JEWS
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by fuckboys: 10:01pm On Oct 05, 2017
Amarabae:
lets not generalise!
I feel like making love to you now, but sadly you're married. cry
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by gratiaeo(m): 10:05pm On Oct 05, 2017
TimeMod1:
Igbo's silly traditions have turned their men into lazy sissies. He might probably kill his female siblings to get back what's his. Tradition precedes law, so they say. Unfortunately Igbo women still have a few more decades to suffer.
Igbo lazy? Wonder shall never end. Which tribe in Africa is more hardworking than Igbo
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Crestedguy4real: 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2017
Yarnvibes:
​A Nigerian man has left many people in shock after refusing to obey his late father's instruction on how to share his properties because he included his female children as beneficiaries.

The late Gabriel Okwukogwu may not be resting in peace in his grave after all, as he was said to have attracted the anger of his first son, simply known as Emmy for sharing his properties among his seven children including the four women in Anambra State.

It was gathered that an infuriated Emmy reportedly went to his father's grave to tell him that he will not comply with the will he prepared when he was alive. The family is from Orlu in Imo State but stays at G.M.O Road in Ogbaru area of Onitsha metropolitan city in Anambra.

It was gathered that Emmy who resides in Lagos returned after the death and burial of his late father. After the burial the late father's lawyer called the members of the family, presented their late father's will and read it to the children for implementation. However, trouble was said to have started after the counsel got through reading the will and Emmy discovered that their late father shared his properties to his children including the women among them. It was gathered that the late Okwukogu had properties both in Onitsha and Owerri which he shared equally among the children not minding the gender status.

It was gathered that when the lawyer finished reading the will to the children, Emmy got angry and declared that the will did not come from their father because he really understood the culture and tradition as observed in Igbo land.

It was gathered that the culture did not recognise women because it was expected that they will get married to their husbands and therefore were not entitled to inherit any property from their family. Thus Emmy insisted that the culture and tradition will be applied in the sharing of the properties.

An infuriated Emmy reportedly left the meeting and headed to their family house in Orlu, went to his father's grave and protested; that he will not comply with his purported will because he did not comply with the laid down customs and tradition in the land.

It was gathered that Emmy's decision to reject the will was causing serious problem in the family as the women in question threatened to fight for their rights as contained in the will rejected by their eldest brother.

When P.M.EXPRESS spoke to some Igbo leaders concerning the incident, some spoke against the sharing and declared that Emmy was right because women werr not entitled to inherit family properties according to tradition. Others said that it was the old practice and the properties in question were not family houses which the women will never inherit according to tradition.

It was however not certain how the matter will be resolved because the will was regarded as a valid document that must be complied with despite any perceived defects.

http://fabinfos.com/nigerian-man-fights-late-father-grave-including-female-children-will/

Lalasticlala Ishilove Mynd44 Seun Dominique
He is just a slowpoke and lazy man,fighting over a will of a late man,the owner of the property did not take any thing with him when he died ,so also the idiot claiming that he knows the culture more than his father, lazy man,go and hustle for your own to enable your children to inherit from you.....
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by PastorandMentor(m): 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2017
You are just so sweet. Your husband is a lucky man.
Amarabae:
lets not generalise!
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by hAlexandro(m): 10:10pm On Oct 05, 2017
cry lazy old first born dragging properties with his siblings was he waiting for the father to die? What if the father had nothing
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by jrusky(m): 10:12pm On Oct 05, 2017
Here we are again this is another lazy guy on the loose.

Fighting for Will and and claiming culture. Pls what culture so your father that wrote the Will don't know culture?

This guy is just a bloody lazy guy. He either obey his father as he wrote it down or carry on at war with his younger ones which is not the right way to go.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Recreates Photo Of Her Mother Carrying Her Twins / Father And Daughter Cry In Wedding Photo / Men, Why Did You Stop Marrying Two Or More Wives?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.