Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will (33592 Views)

Throwback Photos Of IVD And His Late Wife Bimbo When They Were Young Lovers / One Of My Sons Looks Exactly Like My Late Father / Man Fights Wife For Not Using Vibrator After He Traveled Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by tobiasbeecher: 6:59am On Oct 06, 2017
LionDeLeo:
[s][/s]

Among all the comments here, it is mine you choose to quote because it doesn't favour you?

When will you grow above this?
Not that it doesn't favour me, just that your moniker is well known here for tribal hatred and bigotry. Have you made any comment in Nairaland that is not about tribal bigotry and hatred? You're well known here
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by olusola200: 7:04am On Oct 06, 2017
See what lagos has done to his life

No matter the age or gender they have equal right

He should go and share his own among his male

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Akuruoulo(m): 7:07am On Oct 06, 2017
Plz Stop Talking Abt Gender Equality On Any Matter. The Dead Man Also Want His Daughters To Live A Good Life. Not Only Men Deserve Everything And " The Main Reason The Man Reason Why The Man Shared His Property To His Daughters Also Is Becus (he Knw He Had A Gready And Wicked Son, And He Wil Nt Accommodate The Sisters If The Will Goes To Him Also)" Lazy Goat

2 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Akuruoulo(m): 7:11am On Oct 06, 2017
This Gender Equality Of A Thing Will Get All Women Roasting In The Hell After Their Stay On Earth. Women And Men Cant Be Equal Becus They Are Different Gender
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Opiletool(m): 7:15am On Oct 06, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

in yorubaland a fada cannot will his last living abode to anoda... it blongs to d firstborn...

Shut up and don't say what you don't know. Even if the man has just a house, the rooms will be divided equally among all the kids. And if they are too many, they most times rent out the house and share the proceeds.

2 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by LionDeLeo: 7:16am On Oct 06, 2017
[s]
tobiasbeecher:

Not that it doesn't favour me, just that your moniker is well known here for tribal hatred and bigotry. Have you made any comment in Nairaland that is not about tribal bigotry and hatred? You're well known here
[/s]

Pls stop quoting me. I don't owe you any explanation for whatsoever I post on nairaland.

If you have problem with tribal comments, I will advise you to take your preachings to ipob terrorists, that is their food
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by jaxxy(m): 7:17am On Oct 06, 2017
The late father obviously knew the tradition bt didn't want to leave his daughters stranded hence his will bt the emmy guy is quite greedy or does he have smtn against his sisters and even if they are still ur sisters. He shud respect his fathers wishes. Simple

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by amakabel: 7:20am On Oct 06, 2017
ha ha ha!!! I laugh in Spanish. mumu, God don catch all of you greedy people. woman no be pikin? because na only you your parents born. stupid Igbo culture. this my people are very wicked to women but God would expose all of you.

2 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by NoToPile: 7:20am On Oct 06, 2017
bigpicture001:
it is very easy to criticise on nairaland...the whole of the igbos should rise with ceaseless pprotest against the supreme court judgement for disruption of thier culture...no igbo family chase away dia daughter when sh is not married..they still haws her and care for her..wot they are against is women's double inheritance from both side of thier world...thier eventual husband and thier father..if this is discontinued...a lot of men would go straight to extreme poverty...take for instance...a father dies...and the married daughter who is a joint inheritance with here brothers refusing to section the sale of thier dad's commercial property because sh is also a beneficiary even in d fave of acute poverty in her father's haws..her reason is because sh hopes to pass down inheritance to her children..sh is not poor cuz sh married a wealthy husband and so doesn't feel d poverty thereby..tying down her brothers in poverty..how do u see that..you ppl of Mr and Mrs equal ryt....leave the people alone to manage thier tradition Av seen a lot of brothers who gained financial stability from dead father's estates...these should only b bycuted wen d father himself makes a will and then include the female child

So the problem is with the double inheritance both from the parents and husband. shocked

What if I say where I come from as a female traditionally you are entitled to inherit(anything inheritable including lands) both from your father, your mother(if she has personal properties) and then your husband and we seem not to have a problem with it.

As a matter of fact there really is no basis for the "first son" phrase I see people throwing up and down.A lot of evil people his under culture of I am the first son to wreak havoc even to their elder sisters.

What we tend not to understand is this is why once you don't have a son in some cultures there is a problem, that's why the boy child is given more preference that the female child, that's why women from those areas seem not fulfilled until they have a male because they know those females are not recognized traditionally and can't get much recognition from their fathers, the evil uncles then swoop in to take everything.

Simply amazing.

2 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by mofewilkie(m): 7:21am On Oct 06, 2017
checkolatunji:

Nah i disagree cos here in west its equal right parent properties
Lol, he said most AFRICANS not Nigerians
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by bigpicture001: 7:53am On Oct 06, 2017
NoToPile:

So the problem is with the double inheritance both from the parents and husband. shocked

What if I say where I come from as a female traditionally you are entitled to inherit(anything inheritable including lands) both from your father, your mother(if she has personal properties) and then your husband and we seem not to have a problem with it.

As a matter of fact there really is no basis for the "first son" phrase I see people throwing up and down.A lot of evil people his under culture of I am the first son to wreak havoc even to their elder sisters.

What we tend not to understand is this is why once you don't have a son in some cultures there is a problem, that's why the boy child is given more preference that the female child, that's why women from those areas seem not fulfilled until they have a male because they know those females are not recognized traditionally and can't get much recognition from their fathers, the evil uncles then swoop in to take everything.

Simply amazing.
....no even uncle chase a gal away from her father's house when her mum and herself are still alive. no village traditional ruler will accept that. yes they will eventually take the property of thier brother but that is when the gal marries away and the wife of the deceased is dead.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Jman06(m): 7:55am On Oct 06, 2017
Emmy is a foool. That archaic tradition in igboland must stop because daughters have proven to be more beneficial to the family than most sons. My own family is a good example.

3 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by bigpicture001: 7:59am On Oct 06, 2017
Mynd44:

The judgment by the supreme court was given for Interstate cases meaning that even if the man died without a will, his daughter is and must be part of the inheritors.

So if there is a will, follow the will. If there is not will, follow the supremem court. Your culture and traditions is not bigger than the supreme court
...that is where you get it wrong..cuz I did law 234 in skl..the nigeria legal system one and two..and one of the BASIC features of a law is that it must be in conformity to a large extent with the people..you cannot go to the Vatican City and make a law that in the spirit of oneness and spirit of equality that the whole population of citizens must also study Islamic religion in thier skl..just like d minority islam must study christianity...just be cuz u want to modernise the society
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Mynd44: 8:08am On Oct 06, 2017
bigpicture001:
...that is where you get it wrong..cuz I did law 234 in skl..the nigeria legal system one and two..and one of the BASIC features of a law is that it must be in conformity to a large extent with the people..you cannot go to the Vatican City and make a law that in the spirit of oneness and spirit of equality that the whole population of citizens must also study Islamic religion in thier skl..just like d minority islam must study christianity...just be cuz u want to modernise the society
The Supreme court did not make any law. The Supreme court translated the customary law in accordance with the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and came up with a judgment. That judgment became law.

The Vatican has a constitution and they can stick to it.

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Josephshola: 8:08am On Oct 06, 2017
I sure say na the guy kill the man self
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by bigpicture001: 8:11am On Oct 06, 2017
Mynd44:

The judgment by the supreme court was given for Interstate cases meaning that even if the man died without a will, his daughter is and must be part of the inheritors.

So if there is a will, follow the will. If there is not will, follow the supremem court. Your culture and traditions is not bigger than the supreme court
...my problem with the judgement is that it enters into the igbo traditional culture too ddeep and leave no space for traditional laws to take its place...make a survey of the judges of the supreme court and yo will find no igbo person dia...does it mean,they understand and should make laws for a large majority tribe in nigeria without thier concept...? a law that defines the people....who protested against laws against female genital mutilation..no one,who protested against law against drinking of husbands dead body water to prove ur innocence after his death by the widow..nobody..but to go deep into what makes a people and tell them u know it more than them is wrong...every other tribes law should also b abolished so we all become american...who just the ibgos...now I understand nnamdi kanu better
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Mynd44: 8:22am On Oct 06, 2017
bigpicture001:
...my problem with the judgement is that it enters into the igbo traditional culture too ddeep and leave no space for traditional laws to take its place...make a survey of the judges of the supreme court and yo will find no igbo person dia...does it mean,they understand and should make laws for a large majority tribe in nigeria without thier concept...? a law that defines the people....who protested against laws against female genital mutilation..no one,who protested against law against drinking of husbands dead body water to prove ur innocence after his death by the widow..nobody..but to go deep into what makes a people and tell them u know it more than them is wrong...every other tribes law should also b abolished so we all become american...who just the ibgos...now I understand nnamdi kanu better

Dafuq?

The constitution is meant to protect the citizens. Laws are made for humans not the reverese and the moment a law is anti-people, that ish gotta go. How can you wake up and say a daughter cannot get part of her father's estate? Her own father.

If the man had left a will and left all his estate to his son or sons, that is a different case but he left no will and you think you can corner it, take away her rights as a human to be loved and cared for by her parent? Please swerve.

Women already go through enough crap as it is, having to bother about nonsense like her own father's inheritance should not happen in 2017.

That culture was one bourne out of selfishness and that has been corrected. If you dont like it, go to the UN to appeal cool

4 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by bigpicture001: 8:22am On Oct 06, 2017
Mynd44:

The Supreme court did not make any law. The Supreme court translated the customary law in accordance with the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and came up with a judgment. That judgment became law.

The Vatican has a constitution and they can stick to it.
..pkease read about nigerian customary laws or traditional laws...if a court comes to a crossroad in d ubderstanding of any traditional law..it invites the rulers if that land to interpret what is obtainable in that land...and with that so long as thier is no heavy deviation from values of the culture and justice...they will stand by the traditional....that was exactly how I had 2more younger brothers...because ma elder sis married a man without him paying the traditional dowry..wen sh left him and came bak home with the 3sons...sh had with him, he came bak flying for the kids...then the court asked him if he was married to to lady..he answers in affirmative and ma dad decline a marriage happened..hat he only brought drinks and showed interest cuz nd didn't do the ryt cuz d gal was already pregnat..so he felt he's hit the family bellow the belt line and took the gal home. the ruler was called in to explain what a marriage really is..since no other form of marriage was done..then he said marage is only done when the dowry of 65naira is paid to the family of the gal..the rest of the fanfare is unimportant to the tradition..then the court ruled him as the biological father of the child but the child would bear the family name of the want away wife..if her dad so pleases...and the children be indegines according to the tradition of the gals place of origin be called indegines if that place..that was how I got two younger brothers...dou he still visits to familiarise with the children
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Mynd44: 8:27am On Oct 06, 2017
bigpicture001:
..pkease read about nigerian customary laws or traditional laws...if a court comes to a crossroad in d ubderstanding of any traditional law..it invites the rulers if that land to interpret what is obtainable in that land...and with that so long as thier is no heavy deviation from values of the culture and justice...they will stand by the traditional....that was exactly how I had 2more younger brothers...because ma elder sis married a man without him paying the traditional dowry..wen sh left him and came bak home with the 3sons...sh had with him, he came bak flying for the kids...then the court asked him if he was married to to lady..he answers in affirmative and ma dad decline a marriage happened..hat he only brought drinks and showed interest cuz nd didn't do the ryt cuz d gal was already pregnat..so he felt he's hit the family bellow the belt line and took the gal home. the ruler was called in to explain what a marriage really is..since no other form of marriage was done..then he said marage is only done when the dowry of 65naira is paid to the family of the gal..the rest of the fanfare is unimportant to the tradition..then the court ruled him as the biological father of the child but the child would bear the family name of the want away wife..if her dad so pleases...and the children be indegines according to the tradition of the gals place of origin be called indegines if that place..that was how I got two younger brothers...dou he still visits to familiarise with the children
Dude, you do not have two younger brothers, you have two nephews. Your sister was taken to a customary court, if he had appealled in a federal high/appeal/Supreme court, his paternal rights will be restored.

He does not have the right to call himself your sister's husband but he is the father of the children please dont get it wrong.

If he pushes it higher, another landmark judgement will be made and your customary laws on parternal rights will be cancelled.

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by maxnedu11(m): 8:29am On Oct 06, 2017
Opakan2:
Na dem.. when I saw the headline, I already knew the enclave culpable

God bless Yorubas
while the man in your pics has a Photoshoped igbo cap
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by bigpicture001: 8:39am On Oct 06, 2017
Mynd44:

Dafuq?

The constitution is meant to protect the citizens. Laws are made for humans not the reverese and the moment a law is anti-people, that ish gotta go. How can you wake up and say a daughter cannot get part of her father's estate? Her own father.

If the man had left a will and left all his estate to his son or sons, that is a different case but he left no will and you think you can corner it, take away her rights as a human to be loved and cared for by her parent? Please swerve.

Women already go through enough crap as it is, having to bother about nonsense like her own father's inheritance should not happen in 2017.

That culture was one bourne out of selfishness and that has been corrected. If you dont like it, go to the UN to appeal cool
..does the supreme court now know more than the dead father..?..ok..i get you..the supreme court like's the gal more than the dead father..?the family land we liv in currently was singled out and giving to ma dad by his dad when he not even up to 10 years old..of course his dad was not literate so couldn't understand what a will is..this happens in th late 70's...but he still got the land..a land that us twice as big as that of the first son..now ask Hw was his instructions adheres to even without a will..he med elderly neighours..and told them who will own the land..he took his first son and told him who will own the land..he took his wife..ma grand mother and told him who will own the land..and at last ma dad himself and told who will own the land..dou he is small...that way he's made an unwritten will..those things he did..was not anytime near his dying stage..he just made it clear...the same way a recent village based father would do..if he want to favour his daughter...pls ma man..dont try to know more than the dead man knows..even as foolish as they are..they still know Hw to pass down instructions and make it happen. ..what am saying is that the supreme court is acting like the creators of the cultures of the people and behaves as if he created does and will judge these cultures...
please ask anybody of a town in anambra called "ogidi" that the town china achebe and Bob Manuel ndokwu are from...the ruling of courts on the tulle of traditional rulership has lead to the death of more than five court enthroned kings..without violence...the town has not had a king for close to 20years..because of the courts thinks they know too much..nobody disputes thier judgement..nobody kills the kings but they die in a month..its is so dangerous now that no body want to b king anymore there
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by bigpicture001: 8:43am On Oct 06, 2017
Mynd44:

Dude, you do not have two younger brothers, you have two nephews. Your sister was taken to a customary court, if he had appealled in a federal high/appeal/Supreme court, his paternal rights will be restored.

He does not have the right to call himself your sister's husband but he is the father of the children please dont get it wrong.

If he pushes it higher, another landmark judgement will be made and your customary laws on parternal rights will be cancelled.
..ok Mr man I agree with you..just read about the Nigerian customary laws...and read whether every king of cases can go very Hy in d judicial system..and the role of traditional laws in judgment delivery in nigeria
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 06, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

can we place a bet on this ?
say if I am wrong I de-activate my account and if u are wrong u do same ?

then we will bring supreme Court judgement to determine who is right and who is wrong ?

in Benin A father cannot will out his last living abode, it is even contained in the wills law.

Is Benin yoruba?
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Abagworo(m): 8:45am On Oct 06, 2017
Jman06:
Emmy is a foool. That archaic tradition in igboland must stop because daughters have proven to be more beneficial to the family than most sons. My own family is a good example.

The tradition is being abused by bad people that deliberately misinterpret them. It baffles me how ignorant of Igbo tradition most Igbos are.

No Igbo tradition forbids daughters from inheriting their father's acquired wealth and properties as people believe. What the tradition talks about is the ancestral heritage which is passed down through generations including lands and cultural properties. I am sure the father never willed any of the ancestral lands and properties to his daughters but the son is angry because the Owerri and Onitsha properties are more valuable.

2ndly if a man doesn't have a son but has a single mum as daughter then the unmarried daughter can inherit the ancestral properties as the lineage continues with her offsprings. Igbo culture gives room for that.

Igbos traditionally live in compounds bearing single surname like Amadi for example. Someone bearing Okoro cannot be found living in Amadi compound because his mother inherited a piece of Amadi land. He will be sent back to Okoro compound where he comes from.

3 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Mynd44: 8:47am On Oct 06, 2017
bigpicture001:
..ok Mr man I agree with you..just read about the Nigerian customary laws...and read whether every king of cases can go very Hy in d judicial system..and the role of traditional laws in judgment delivery in nigeria
The Supreme court is above and beyond the customary court. The Customary court obeys the supreme court without a but.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 06, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

for ur info the topic here is about the IGBO custom.
I only said that in some cultures and some properties that customs overule the will.

and I made reference to the Iji-Ogbe custom of the Benin people a subset of the Yoruba kingdom to back my claim.

so if u r poised on holding on to my earlier arguments which was that in Yoruba king, based on the place, and property that culture will overul a will..
then I will tell you that the place in the Yoruba kingdom is the Benin Area and the property in question is the Ijio-Ogbe...
so what's your argument exactly??

Bini people are not yoruba. Please stop the fallacy.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 06, 2017
Cire80:
Not sharing anything to female children is callous but sharing it equally is callous as well. Ladies must not eat their cake and have it. Much more responsibilities have been given to the male children by the same society . The ladies will be married off and becomes another man's responsibility. If o were the man, I would definitely share a part of my property to the females but definitely not equally.

In yoruba culture, there is a saying "agbojulogun n sera e" (He who is relying on inheriting from his parents is only hurting himself). If you have the mindset of inheriting from your parents, then you are a failure.

2 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by toprealman: 9:01am On Oct 06, 2017
veekid:
Check that Emmy guy well; he is hopeless, jobless, worthless, useless Anythingless
Posting pics on FB, IG, twitter...etc daily of him squandering his father's fortune...... just to get cheap runs girls. Irresponsible he-goat

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by bigpicture001: 9:06am On Oct 06, 2017
Mynd44:

The Supreme court is above and beyond the customary court. The Customary court obeys the supreme court without a but.
..i dnt remember telling u I dnt know that...I want u to know that not all kind of cases go up to the supreme court.many stop at d court of appeal
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Mynd44: 9:11am On Oct 06, 2017
bigpicture001:
..i dnt remember telling u I dnt know that...I want u to know that not all kind of cases go up to the supreme court.many stop at d court of appeal
Hence why many of these customs still stand. If that man really wants to and he drags your dad a hugher court, he will get his full paternal rights

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Father And Daughter Cry In Wedding Photo / Baba De Baba: "I Can't Marry A Woman I Can't Beat" / My Girlfriend Wants To Travel Abroad Without Marrying Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.