Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,013 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" (25437 Views)

Liyel Imoke To Donald Duke: ‘You Are A Serial Failure!’ / Donald Duke Blasts Buhari For Appointing Yusuf Magaji Bichi As New DG SSS / 2019: "You Can't Zone My Constitutional Right - Donald Duke Tells PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Chukazu: 12:06pm On Oct 10, 2017
This is revolution and emancipation

How I wish Nigerian youths who desired a new order can rally round this guy and let's end tribal and sectional politics once and for all

1 Like

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Danny287(m): 12:06pm On Oct 10, 2017
discusant:

All eastern politicians have lost their right to answer president of a country as they support continuation of one Nigeria. Arewa could have been stampeded to "appoint" one easterner as president if Eastern politicians had capitalized on the moves by IPOB.

Can't Duke see that even an illiterate leper from northern region can defeat him in presidential race, once northern political class decides north must produce the president?

Nwodo of Ohaneze is also a one Nigerian. He zones presidency to north uptill 2027. By then the extant political structure and governAnce system must have been solidified, such that it can be treason to ask for restructuring Nigeria politically.

In fact, politicians of old Eastern region have sold themselves to Fulani. They can't agree on Biafra, they can't agree on anything.

Igbo youths have taken over the politics of the east.

Hmmmm short of words sha
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Chukazu: 12:15pm On Oct 10, 2017
discusant:

All eastern politicians have lost their right to answer president of a country as they support continuation of one Nigeria. Arewa could have been stampeded to "appoint" one easterner as president if Eastern politicians had capitalized on the moves by IPOB.

Can't Duke see that even an illiterate leper from northern region can defeat him in presidential race, once northern political class decides north must produce the president?

Nwodo of Ohaneze is also a one Nigerian. He zones presidency to north uptill 2027. By then the extant political structure and governAnce system must have been solidified, such that it can be treason to ask for restructuring Nigeria politically.
Hi

In fact, politicians of old Eastern region have sold themselves to Fulani. They can't agree on Biafra, they can't agree on anything.

Igbo youths have taken over the politics of the east.

Stop making such sweeping generalizations

Nwodo doesn't represent or speak for every Easterners(old or new) the same way Kanu doesn't speak for every group

PDP AND APC are not the only parties in Nigeria.
If PDP can be beaten at the center , APC can also suffer such date
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Goke7: 12:20pm On Oct 10, 2017
discusant:

But your vote to the southerner can't make any southerner president of Nigeria because of the manner which northerners restructured Nigeria. Unless northerners say they are tired of running Nigeria that time.

Most southerners are very ignorant of the impact of the rigged political structure of 36 states+Abuja on Nigeria's political process, and how it makes north colonize the south of Nigeria.

nobody is under the colony of anybody, politics is a game of number and when you get the required number, you win simple.
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 10, 2017
Ratello:
I completely share his views that's how it should be done. I am totally against those primordial tendencies in our political culturation. Away with mumu zoning anyone and everyone capable enough should throw himself or herself into the ring and tell us what he has to offer.

Let's face it:

Zoning brings peace to all regions.

Competence brings progress to all regions.

So isn't it wiser to incorporate both?

Meanwhile, you might like to get a 20K Website for your Business, check my signature.
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Connoisseur(m): 12:38pm On Oct 10, 2017
Iamzik:

You might want to explain what you mean by the bolded?

"This is because the north had the population and capacity to remain in power for as long as they want".

The North as referred to here comprises of northeast, west and central zones. The population surpasses that of the south. Also by virtue of been more homogeneous than the south, they can be better organised than their southern counterparts. That is if it ever comes down to a northern Vs southern candidate, it is most likely that the northerner would win. This is because the south been more liberal 2ould see more of their people voting north than vice versa.
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Connoisseur(m): 12:39pm On Oct 10, 2017
Goke7:

@the bolded, this is a wrong assumption, if the north truly has all the population CPC would have won the Presidential elections in 2011 after cornering majority of the votes in the north. As it is now, it will take majority votes from 4 geopolitical regions out of six to get into aso rock, do the maths.

Zoning is what is killing our polity. GEJ did not loose cos of zoning but simply he could not gather enough votes from 4 geopolitical zones.

I flow with donald duke, do you think any politician truly respects zoning, they only support zoning when it suits them

It is not a wrong assumption from my point of view. CPC did not win 2011elections because the Northern political hierarchy accepted a proposal to let GEJ continue in the best interests of the country. GEJ had the backing of the "establishment" in the north, that was why he won the election but didn't stop Buhari from getting 12million votes.
Like I wrote previously, when it comes down to a northern Vs southern candidate, who do you think will win?.

The answer summarizes all I have been trying to say.
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 10, 2017
Connoisseur:
Zoning, despite its absence in the constitution is a good way to prevent the majority from remaining in power for ever.
As long as Nigerian presidency elections is concerned, zoning favors the south just as the quota system in education favors the north. This is because the north had the population and capacity to remain in power for as long as they want.
So politicians especially from the south should avoid the use of rhetorics and not let their selfish interest becloud their reasoning
I don't agree with you. If what you said is the case then it means GEJ wouldn't have won his first election. I also believe at some point the "majority" will get tired of people from the same zone and wouldn't mind voting in someone from another zone. For example the number of northerners who voted for Buhari would definitely be less in 2019.

1 Like

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Connoisseur(m): 12:47pm On Oct 10, 2017
Ontarget:

I don't agree with you. If what you said is the case then it means GEJ wouldn't have won his first election. I also believe at some point the "majority" will get tired of people from the same zone and wouldn't mind voting in someone from another zone. For example the number of northerners who voted for Buhari would definitely be less in 2019.

Good luck won his first election based on the gentleman agreement (which actually means zoning) that was existent at the time of that election. Immediately he reneged from that agreement, we all witnessed the result.
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by olisaEze(m): 12:47pm On Oct 10, 2017
49cents:

For the records. At the Twilight of Obasanjo's administration he made the then EFCC boss to investigate the entire 36 state governors and ONLY Donald Duke was 100 percent clean.....
So I was shocked why Obasanjo would choose Jonathan over Duke as yaradua's running mate

Your head is there! I respect ur memory, unlike the bulk of our population that can't even rmbr the name of their serving senator.

2 Likes

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Basic123: 12:52pm On Oct 10, 2017
49cents:

For the records. At the Twilight of Obasanjo's administration he made the then EFCC boss to investigate the entire 36 state governors and ONLY Donald Duke was 100 percent clean.....
So I was shocked why Obasanjo would choose Jonathan over Duke as yaradua's running mate

Obasanjo was looking for a mumu.GEJ is more mumu looking!

2 Likes

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 10, 2017
Connoisseur:

Good luck won his first election based on the gentleman agreement (which actually means zoning) that was existent at the time of that election. Immediately he reneged from that agreement, we all witnessed the result.
The agreemant means nothing because it was actually the people's vote that placed him there and not the agreement.

It's actually normal for the majority to have a larger share of the leadership opportunity. How many blacks as minorities have ruled the United States? None yet.

1 Like

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 10, 2017
Connoisseur:
Zoning, despite its absence in the constitution is a good way to prevent the majority from remaining in power for ever.
As long as Nigerian presidency elections is concerned, zoning favors the south just as the quota system in education favors the north. This is because the north had the population and capacity to remain in power for as long as they want.
So politicians especially from the south should avoid the use of rhetorics and not let their selfish interest becloud their reasoning
The north population is not great than the other regions. Is it because they are using underage to rigging elections? If politicians in other regions stop being greedy trust you me, all the households will mobilize all their wards to go voting.

But trillions of IPOB will boycott all the Nigeria corrupt elections processes that is not referendum in Biafraland.

1 Like

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Chukazu: 1:13pm On Oct 10, 2017
DeRay98:

My friend zoning has never included the minorities. Its either Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba.
Jonathan didn't get it on zoning but on the sentiments of his Yar Adua incumbency...
I don't like PDP but I'd fancy Donald Duke's Presidency.

He doesn't have to fly on PDP's ticket,in fact they won't give him...so it now behooves on him to garner his support from the masses like Obama did ,that is the beginning of a new order

In fact I would be shocked if he ever attempts to contest under PDP.

1 Like

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Chukazu: 1:16pm On Oct 10, 2017
49cents:

There's was a need to appease the Ijaw tribe who had suffered so much ills due to perpetuated neglect , couple with what Alemesighia went through, Jonathan became the Obvious choice

It was the same sentiment that brought OBASANJO to power through A party that was virtually built and structured by Alex Ekwueme , just to appease his people for June 12 debacle
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by HerXLNC(f): 1:16pm On Oct 10, 2017
Independent candidacy is there buh who ve d money involved
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Truthisit: 1:35pm On Oct 10, 2017
Did you see new Cross River, after he left office? Same way no transformation or fresh air, after Jonathan! Bring the best brain, Nigeria is going no where, unless we change the structure and every part is ready to work and make fund for the upkeep of their area.
donnie:

Gerrout Jor! Come back when you're ready for the new Nigeria. angry
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Connoisseur(m): 2:09pm On Oct 10, 2017
Ontarget:

The agreemant means nothing because it was actually the people's vote that placed him there and not the agreement.

It's actually normal for the majority to have a larger share of the leadership opportunity. How many blacks as minorities have ruled the United States? None yet.

The people are influenced into making a decision of Ho becomes president. These influences are exerted by traditional, religious and other leaders of a region.
Jonathan lost the election because the people didn't vote for him. The people were coaxed into not voting for him because of some issues, the 'agreement'been a fundamental part of it
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by donnie(m): 2:12pm On Oct 10, 2017
Truthisit:
Did you see new Cross River, after he left office? Same way no transformation or fresh air, after Jonathan! Bring the best brain, Nigeria is going no where, unless we change the structure and every part is ready to work and make fund for the upkeep of their area.

But DD isn't against restructuring na
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Truthisit: 2:26pm On Oct 10, 2017
That guy does not possess a clear agenda. A keeper of status quo, that's who he is. He cannot change anything here. Besides, he is Obasanjo's boy.
donnie:

But DD isn't against restructuring na
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by bajosky: 2:28pm On Oct 10, 2017
Bolustical:
Why didn't he speak up against zoning when the VP was zoned to the South South in 2007?

Going by his logic now, PDP can field candidates from NW and NE, both Muslims, as running mates because it's everyone's constitutional right to be voted for?

I don't know if Duke understands the meaning conventions!

Has he forgotten that the disrespect for zoning caused PDP's ouster in 2015?

Without zoning, the north because of their numbers and political advantages would rule Nigeria non stop.

Duke should goan sit down joor.
Are you aware that Duke is a learned Lawyer and his track record in his State has a record yet to be beaten and he brought tourism to national height in Nigeria. He is a man who loves good things and an agent of transformation. He is Progressive minded. He blatantly rejected the Vice president position offered him by Obj as claimed by you because he has a goodwill and passion for governance and I see him as a material any Progressive citizen can adopt if he has intention for the PRESIDENCY.

1 Like

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by EzeeYFB(m): 2:35pm On Oct 10, 2017
Danny287:
Mr. Donald Duke, a former Governor of Cross River State has said that he is not a supporter of zoning of the Presidency.

Mr. Duke while speaking on Hard Copy anchored by Maope Ogun on Channels TV said, “I have never subjected myself to zoning, when I ran for Governor I was not afforded zoning, everybody and everyone was able to run in Cross River.”

He maintained that, “Besides its my constitutional right to run, you can’t zone my right, I think it’s unconstitutional to zone and besides like I said to you I was born a Nigerian, I wasn’t born an Easterner or Westerner, I was born after Independence. So my outlook is Nigerian.”Concluding, Mr. Donald said Nigeria was in dire straits and should jettison zoning and go for the best.

Mr. Donald Duke is a presidential aspirant.

/crossriverwatch.com/2017/10/you-cant-zone-my-constitutional-right-to-contest-for-president-donald-duke-video

Watch interview video hear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZSwjz4b_9c

Do you agree with him?

uncle Donald Pls if u want to run for president Pls let us know jejeli, I'm ready to vote for u, I dnt know about others sha o

2 Likes

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by valentineuwakwe(m): 3:13pm On Oct 10, 2017
what is wrong with all our politicians self? in the interest of stability and equity the zoning arrangement was agreed upon by the pdp for all its elective position and the south started it. .sir you were in pdp then and never complain of your rights being infringe because you were a governor then, now you have started crying foul. .even other parties adopted zoning even if it was not in our constitution or do you think in the present Nigerian structure, a south south minority man like you or a south east man can or win the presidential elections? please wake up and allow zoning to be. except you want the north and south west to rule nigeria for ever!
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Mcanie: 3:34pm On Oct 10, 2017
9jvirgin:
You are also coming to steal, loot and destroy. Na fine boy we go chop?
I can see you have refuse to collect sense
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by sonnie10: 3:37pm On Oct 10, 2017
morbeta:
Bring out your loot make we enjoy small.

I am certain that you are not aware of his person.
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by TourismMan(m): 4:08pm On Oct 10, 2017
Very correct!!! This is one man I can vote for 10times if he contests 10times. Not the clueless dullard in aso rock as of today.
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by donnie(m): 7:26pm On Oct 10, 2017
Truthisit:
That guy does not possess a clear agenda. A keeper of status quo, that's who he is. He cannot change anything here. Besides, he is Obasanjo's boy.

You are very funny. Is it Donald Duke you're referring to or someone else; or you just feel like saying something?
Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by donnie(m): 7:27pm On Oct 10, 2017
bajosky:

Are you aware that Duke is a learned Lawyer and his track record in his State has a record yet to be beaten and he brought tourism to national height in Nigeria. He is a man who loves good things and an agent of transformation. He is Progressive minded. He blatantly rejected the Vice president position offered him by Obj as claimed by you because he has a goodwill and passion for governance and I see him as a material any Progressive citizen can adopt if he has intention for the PRESIDENCY.

GBAM!

2 Likes

Re: Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" by Truthisit: 8:20pm On Oct 10, 2017
Donal Duke won't be President! Quote me in 2019 and 2023! Both of us shall be alive beyond then, by grace of the Lord.
donnie:

You are very funny. Is it Donald Duke you're referring to or someone else; or you just feel like saying something?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tony Momoh Lists Nnamdi Kanu’s Failures / Cross River 2023: PFN To Mobilise One Million Votes / 6 Days To Rescheduled Polls: Tension As Infighting In APC, PDP Escalates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.