Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,528 members, 7,816,290 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? (3137 Views)

Eko Atlantic City A Reality Or Myth / Igbo Igp Reality Or A Joke? / Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by lewa(m): 2:09am On Mar 03, 2007
pele! tongue e jo ta ni? tongue
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by WesleyanA(f): 3:49am On Mar 03, 2007
abuja2014. mo n wa awon supporters. se lewa ma join egbe awon supporters? tongue
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by adconline(m): 6:09pm On Mar 03, 2007
Is there any law that says that Abuja roads can not be built unless we host Common Wealth Games? Besides, i want my village to have good schools, running water, health clinics and steady power supply. If these amount to being unpatriotic, I will be unpatriotic magnified /squared
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by alabiyemmy(m): 7:15pm On Mar 03, 2007
Sometimes i wonder if all Nigerians do have warped thinking judging with contributions on this forum.

Every country looks forward to hosting events like this to develop their country, why should Nigeria be different?
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by lewa(m): 10:35pm On Mar 03, 2007
HUMPH, LEWA SHAKES HEAD AND MUTTERS IN DISBELIEF PEOPLE CAN'T JUST GET IT!
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by WesleyanA(f): 11:17pm On Mar 03, 2007
adconline:

Is there any law that says that Abuja roads can not be built unless we host Common Wealth Games? Besides, i want my village to have good schools, running water, health clinics and steady power supply. If these amount to being unpatriotic, I will be unpatriotic magnified /squared

we have a real weak govt that's why. people's opinion don't mean a jack.

if you want your village to have good schools e.t.c pray for a common wealth games to be hosted in your village, otherwise, your village won't get nothing. that's how our govt is.
just kidding.
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by adconline(m): 3:06am On Mar 04, 2007
I believe that Abuja is nobody's village. It was a desert on top of a hill, so FG poured in money to develop it, why can't same be done in Niger Delta or some other places instead of hosting  common wealth whatever. So even if you live in Abuja,  we were/are all village dwellers, so does your village need  more books in their school than common wealth? Does your village need health clinic or common wealth? This is a matter of priority

@alabiyemmy

Sometimes i wonder if all Nigerians do have warped thinking judging with contributions on this forum.

I would like you to put forward your arguments as to why you think that this should be Nigeria's priority not wallowing in the thinking that anyone with opposing view   is biased. Do not hind behind people's opinion.

Lewa:some folks  think  that patriotism comes without good judgment and responsiveness
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by dblock(m): 6:11am On Mar 04, 2007
Abuja was no dessert, Gangs lived in Abuja prior to construction, it was inahabited. OBJ's administration get the blame for everything when the truth is; Roads have been commisioned, More powerplants have been commissioned in Nigeria than anywhere in the world in the last five or so years. The problem is not plannig and thinking ahead, the hrdle is that things don't usually get accomplished because of the ministers(The corrupt ones), organisations are trying to get rid of this people, and i know that they eventually will, but projects and bids such as the 2014 Bid are one of the few realities, this will bring along things such as money made from tourism, that can be then spent on other places/villages. Infrastructure will be built and I believe that stable power will be achieved in this nation, and that includes your village, it'll just take time. February last year, Lagos State enjoyed a brief period of stable electricity, because the powerplants were at full capacity, but this came to an end because on the other end of the nation, miliatants had vandalised gas pipes, that led to the shortage of Gas to most powerplants and thus a sudden decrease in power supply. Nigeria is in a tough situation, there's the Niger Delta Crisis, Roads, Electricity, potable water, rural development, corruption, local empowerment to worry about and all of these problems add up to make it nearly impossible to correct any of the problems.

The 2014 Bid, may seem like a misplaced priority but frankly it is not. The money that can be made out of marketing is immense. Kenya makes most of the money that it invests into basic infrastructure such as power, largely from marketing abroad. This Bid is not a sole project, and should not be depicted as the only thing that the government is investing in. The government i believe will eventually tackle the main problems, this Bid is 7 years away, the government are just preparing for it and at the same time i believe they will also tackle other issues. This is not a misplaced priority, every Nigerian needs to take pride in such issues as it is the only way that they can gather up the strenght to tackle the more important issues
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by LePhilippe(m): 9:07pm On Mar 04, 2007
Whoever thinks Nigeria is not serious about this check out the website. www.abuja2014.org
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by adconline(m): 9:17pm On Mar 04, 2007
If we as Nigerians see ourselves as investors in Nigeria Enterprise, we should ask these questions: Does commission of power plants mean delivery of power? Are we getting returns on investment? I listened to Nenadi Usman on BBC and she said that OBJ had spent about $4 billion on power generation. Why do we still have erratic power supply? There is a wide gap between government expenditure and delivery of basic services. Why are these power plants supplying power to "Space" instead of Nigerians? We were promised by OBJ that power failure would be a thing of the past in 2001, what happened to that promise? This govt has got few months to go and it awarding contracts for new power stations.

I know some folks who bought empty plot for under 20K in Abuja before IBB moved to Aso Rock. They had to till their plots with bulldozers.

What money could be made out of marketing that was not made in WYC 1999 and ALL African Games? Let the people who organized these past events show us how they benefited us- Nigerians. OBJ and his late Wife and cronies got all the contracts. Even government sold all the BMWs that were provided by Coscharis to NASS members and govt officials. Kenya has not hosted any sporting event, but still makes a lot of money from tourism. Kenya did some things right. This just contradicted your post, because it shows that you can attract foreign investment without throwing a spending spree jamboree.
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by LePhilippe(m): 8:17pm On Mar 08, 2007
This is a real grass to grace story!! Nigeria is the main star!!
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by adconline(m): 6:30am On Mar 09, 2007
Always lying to ourselves that we are the best even when know that we are not. Its the truth that we speak that will save us not the one we know.
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by LePhilippe(m): 10:29pm On Mar 09, 2007
For immediate publication
9 March 2007
HALIFAX
WITHDRAW FROM 2014 BID PROCESS
The Commonwealth Games Federation wishes to express its profound regret at the decision by Canadian city Halifax to withdraw from the bidding process for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Mike Hooper, Chief Executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation, was informed of the news late Thursday (March cool by Dr Andrew Pipe, President of Commonwealth Games Canada. In confirming the withdrawal, Dr Pipe expressed his extreme disappointment and astonishment at the decision taken by the Province of Nova Scotia and the City of Halifax to no longer provide funding for the bid.
Mike Fennell, President of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said: “It is a great disappointment that this has happened, especially for Canadian athletes and the people of Halifax who have lost the opportunity of staging one of the most prestigious events on the international sporting calendar. We are aware of the considerable amount of work and effort over many months, firstly by Commonwealth Games Canada with the internal Canadian bid process and subsequently by the Halifax Bid Committee and we thank them for their interest and commitment to the Games.”
“After superb Games in Manchester in 2002 and Melbourne in 2006 and looking ahead to Delhi in 2010 the Commonwealth Games is firmly recognised as a major world event, delivering a substantial legacy to the cities which host the event. The possibility of this happening in 2014 is now sadly lost to Halifax – and Canada.
“I sincerely hope this does not damage Canada's credibility in staging sport’s events in the long term. They have hosted successful Commonwealth Games before and I am sure they will again at some point in the future,” added Mr Fennell.
Chief Executive Mike Hooper said: “This was totally unexpected, but we will now go forward with two excellent bids from Abuja, Nigeria, and Glasgow, Scotland. From what we know, both cities have excellent credentials and we are anticipating a close contest.”
In response to media enquiries Mr Hooper also confirmed that there was no possibility of another Canadian city picking up the baton for 2014 from Halifax. “Despite the enormous interest in Canada to stage the 2014 Games, this late withdrawal by Halifax means there is no possibility of a substitute.”
The formal bid documents have to be presented to the Commonwealth Games Federation in London on May 9. The final vote between Abuja and Glasgow will be taken by the CGF’s 71 member nations at their General Assembly in Sri Lanka on November 9.
For more information, contact Mike Hooper on +44 (0) 7 8180 46767 or +44 20 7491 8801.

Glasgow vs Abuja, head to head!!
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by dblock(m): 3:16am On Mar 10, 2007
Halifax was never a challenge.

Nigerians shouldn't oppose Abuja's bid because in 20 years, the bulk of Nigerians salaries will come from Agriculture and Tourism, Oil will be non existent wink
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by adconline(m): 6:26am On Mar 14, 2007
what's connection of ABuja 2014 to our next projected source of income. Remember that numbers and years do not mean alot to Nigeria. Vision 2010, 2018 etc.
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by dblock(m): 7:01am On Mar 14, 2007
Crude Oil will run out in your and my lifetime. what else does Nigeria have apart from Oil and Natural Gas, we have tons of other resources but it is mainly agriculture, what else is Nigeria concentrating on?, tourism of course. So you can choose Agriculture and Tourism or Agriculture(remember Oil don't exist no more)
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by LoverBwoy(m): 11:36am On Mar 14, 2007
dblock:

Halifax was never a challenge.

Nigerians shouldn't oppose Abuja's bid because in 20 years, the bulk of Nigerians salaries will come from Agriculture and Tourism, Oil will be non existent wink
if only they knew what the bid was lol

But when informed of the possibility of the city hosting the Commonwealth Games, a group of puzzled residents at the popular Wuse Market asked: "What is that?"
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]It is not an understatement to say that only hundreds of people in the city are aware of the Nigerian games bid.

bbc
Even people in nigeria don't know what is going on!
Re: Abuja 2014 - Will This Be A Reality Or Dream? by dblock(m): 12:11pm On Mar 14, 2007
In that case, publicity and marketing is needed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Haul Nigeria Before The International Court Of Justice ICJ / Abia 2011: Kalu Backs Brother For Governorship / Crises In Ebonyi: 50 People Killed: Www.aljazeera.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.