Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:28 AM

Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image (38202 Views)

Who Was Olaudah Equiano? Google Marks 272nd Birthday Of Abolitionist / Oladuah Equiano: Twisted History By Igbos / Sad Memories Of Slavery As GOOGLE Celebrates Anambra Born Olaudah Equiano- PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by bibe(m): 7:08pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Thanks for this. Maybe you should have been the one to have replied all along than some who cant say anything apart from accusations and insults.

But is Wikipedia a credible source? Am surprised because others have said it is not credible.

Wikipedia is generally acceptable to a certain degree but due to the ease at which it can be edited, it's always advisable to refer to the direct article that was quoted usually referenced at the bottom page for authenticity sake.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by KemjikaEme: 7:10pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Typical.. .As usual you tag it to hatred for igbos.. Anyone that has a different view hates igbos right?

If olaudah was a criminal, am sure all of you will say he is from Edo state since he mentioned Benin kingdom? You like to twist things to suit yourself.

Someone argued that he had the account of olaudah, I requested for it so I can read and accept, till now he hasn't provided it but I should just accept whatever he says?

If Olaudah was a criminal,Igbos will still accept him afterall we have not disowned Evans and other criminals. In Igbo culture,you don't throw away a child away with the dirty/bath water.
We accept the good and strive to change the bad.
Educate yourself and stop twisting igbo historical achievements.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by cao(f): 7:11pm On Oct 16, 2017
Leez:

lol u ain't
kinda surprised tbh
Hence why I modified my bio ages ago to reflect that... but nope it still continues.

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 7:11pm On Oct 16, 2017
rabzy:

if you have contrary opinion why dont you post your evidence too. As a Benin man i want to know you are hellbent on making him a benin man.

This is the problem with most people that why the country is stagnant. Anybody that has a contrary opinion must be from the other tribe.

I posted a Wikipedia article which was exactly similar with the picture you posted. You claimed that Wikipedia isnt reliable. I asked you to post your own credible source, till now we have been hearing stories.

The man might be igbo, he might be Edo or not. The writing in the article isn't enough to decide, however my greatest surprise is that some people are ready to accept that igbos were under the Benin Kingdom even when they have argued against it with me in the past. Same way i told an Edo lady here that igbos share similarities with them right from the past.. She disagreed.

If this guy was a criminal, everyone will deny him.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
KemjikaEme:

First of all, Eboe is an Anglicalized version of Igbo. Prior the creation of a standard Igbo ortography, the Europeans called them Igbos, Eboes and Ibo, Ibo being the last spelling before the most widely accepted Igbo spelling came into prominence.
Olaudah never wrote Etsako in his narrative, he wrote Essaka.
If he was from Etsako, the spelling should have been Essako.
The Esako infusion is a modern revisionist attempt at erasing his Igbo identity.
Secondly, the Benin kingdom was one of Southern Nigeria's most powerful and popular kingdom that penetrated some parts of Igboland in close proximity to it.
Olaudah's village was apparently a vassal town, so it is only fair that he references the popular kingdom close to his hometown.
We all do this in everyday life,when people ask for a popular location or landmark close to their intended location.

Thirdly, Olaudah as he explained in his book means Fortune or Loud voice/Sound in Igbolanguage.
What does Olaudah mean in Etsako?
Ka Chineke mezie okwu.
Nzuzu akariala na Nairaland

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Leez(m): 7:14pm On Oct 16, 2017
cao:

Hence why I modified my bio ages ago to reflect that... but nope it still continues.
grin
noted
u've been scarce tho
ur channel taking ur time much?
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 7:15pm On Oct 16, 2017
KemjikaEme:

If Olaudah was a criminal,Igbos will still accept him afterall we have not disowned Evans and other criminals. In Igbo culture,you don't throw away a child away with the dirty/bath water.
We accept the good and strive to change the bad.
Educate yourself and stop twisting igbo historical achievements.

OK.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 7:16pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

This is the problem with most people that why the country is stagnant. Anybody that has a contrary opinion must be from the other tribe.

I posted a Wikipedia article which was exactly similar with the picture you posted. You claimed that Wikipedia isnt reliable. I asked you to post your own credible source, till now we have been hearing stories.

The man might be igbo, he might be Edo or not. The writing in the article isn't enough to decide, however my greatest surprise is that some people are ready to accept that igbos were under the Benin Kingdom even when they have argued against it with me in the past. Same way i told an Edo lady here that igbos share similarities with them right from the past.. She disagreed.

Several posters have posted proof that Equiano was an Igbo man; why are you ignoring them?

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Leez(m): 7:18pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

check d distance from onitsha to asaba and then to benin
now names
stephen OKECHUKWU keshi
NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA
all minority igbo
u get it now
d main igbo have never been under anyone
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Several posters have posted proof that Equiano was an Igbo man; why are you ignoring them?
Not even God can convince TheKingIsHere that Mazi Olauda Ikwuano was an Igbo man.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by cao(f): 7:19pm On Oct 16, 2017
Leez:

grin
noted
u've been scarce tho
ur channel taking ur time much?
I've actually been slacking on that one. Just been more busy at work.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 7:23pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Which of the posters that have provided tangible proof and I ignored?
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 7:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Not even God can convince TheKingIsHere that Mazi Olauda Ikwuano was an Igbo man.

Don't drag God into this matter.

Ngozi123 claims Wikipedia isnt reliable, but she has failed to provide her own reliable source.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Ngozi123 claims Wikipedia isnt reliable, but she has failed to provide her own reliable source.
Olaudah published his own book, you refused to download and read for yourself.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15399

Keep wallowing in Igbo hate.

Igbo amaka

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by rabzy: 7:27pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Hasty generalization and sweeping accusations, so because a lady disagreed with you then everybody shares her view. IBORI and IGBINEDION are criminals and their people have not shipped them elsewhere. Anini probably the most famous thief in Nigeria is from igieduma, no one has denied him his place. Evans from the east and a host of others. Everything he said about himself shows without doubt that he is an ibo man

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 7:29pm On Oct 16, 2017
Leez:

check d distance from onitsha to asaba and then to benin
now names
stephen OKECHUKWU keshi
NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA
all minority igbo
u get it now
d main igbo have never been under anyone

I love this. I remember discussing with ngozi123 that igbos or can we say some igbos came from Benin kingdom.. .she denied. This was on a previous thread some time ago. One other guy called hammerT was her back up.

Now, here is some one who is a great man, all of a sudden it is agreed that igbos right from Onitcha down to asaba migrated from Benin kingdom.

This argument is just based on history but my greatest disappointment is that some people who don't have anything reasonable to say will tag it to hatred.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 7:30pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

I already provided my own proof from his book and I mentioned you so that you could read it. Do you deny this?

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 7:32pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

I love this. I remember discussing with ngozi123 that igbos or can we say some igbos came from Benin kingdom.. .she denied. This was on a previous thread some time ago. One other guy called hammerT was her back up.

Now, here is some one who is a great man, all of a sudden it is agreed that igbos right from Onitcha down to asaba migrated from Benin kingdom.

This argument is just based on history but my greatest disappointment is that some people who don't have anything reasonable to say will tag it to hatred.

Is that not the same thread where I said that my ancestors migrated to their present location from the Benin Kingdom, though they were and always have been Igbo? What are you talking about here?

Redbonesmith Ikechu1 BigFrancis and hammerT were all there to witness it.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 7:33pm On Oct 16, 2017
giftq:

Olaudah published his own book, you refused to download and read for yourself.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15399

Keep wallowing in Igbo hate.

Igbo amaka

I have read this and it is similar to what was written on Wikipedia page which you claim that Wikipedia isnt reliable.

Provide another full narration that is different from what is on Wikipedia.

You can't say Wikipedia isn't reliable and providing what is still on Wikipedia.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 7:33pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Is that not the same thread where I said that my ancestors migrated to their present location from the Benin Kingdom, though they were and always have been Igbo? What are you talking about here?

Redbonesmith Ikechu1 and hammerT were all there to witness it.
Nope.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by TheKingIsHere: 7:34pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

I already provided my own proof from his book and I mentioned you so that you could read it. Do you deny this?

I must have missed that part. Please provide it again.

Thanks
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 7:35pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:
Nope.

Ok. Show me the thread where I said that there were no Igbos living under the Benin Kingdom then. I am waiting...
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

I have read this and it is similar to what was written on Wikipedia page which you claim that Wikipedia isnt reliable.

You can't say Wikipedia isn't reliable and providing what is still on Wikipedia.
That is why I said NOTHING will convince you, not even God.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 7:36pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Thanks

This states that he lived in the ‘Igbo’ province and he even spoke in Igbo, making mention of the Igbo market days. When did Bini people start adopting Igbo market days? Also, what does ‘Onye Igbo’ mean in Bini?

2 Likes

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Where on earth have I said that the thread be moved to front page?

This is the silly assertions and assumptions am talking about. If I wasn't around to defend myself, you would have spread a false information to another whom will also spread the false information.

Na wa o.

Go and read the this article written by an Igbo man on olaudah.

http://chatafrik.com/articles/american-affairs/was-olaudah-equiano-igbo#.WeTnXaK3NzQ

Everyone loves to take glory for things that is good.

If to say the same Olaudah was a dangerous criminal, you will see how all of you will deny him

Yes you wanted this on front page when we had not demolished you. You copied the mods. Why did you do that?

And see how unintelligent you are. So this article that roundly condenms and overtly criticizes the igbo race is written by an igbo man. You are deluded, i swear. You are too low for me.

As for the author of that article, i urge you to 'use your head'.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Equiano even used the wird oye-igbo.

Ngozi, dont mind the guy. He just cant believe that an igbo man is the first ever literate black man. He was told that yolibats are first in education and enlightenment. Lol. His systematic disillusionment has just begun.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fineman87:

Equiano even used the word 'oye-igbo'.

Ngozi, dont mind the guy. He just cant believe that an igbo man is the first ever literate black man. He was told that yolibats are first in education and enlightenment. Lol. His systematic disillusionment has just begun.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Ngozi123(f): 7:43pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fineman87:

Equiano even used the wird oye-igbo.

Tbf, there were literate black men who predated Equiano. They even predated the first literate white men; it was hidden in the history books by the European imperialists.

1 Like

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by rabzy: 7:44pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Dont put everyone in the same box. no one here is an ancestor, we are just trying to get as much as we can from a very distant past. There are still debates even among ibos as to how strong and the extent ofBenin influence. no one can know for sure. Olauda statements can be taken for what he has said without having to bring in other argument here. He is ibo in a village that has a nominal benin influence, that is not hard to accept and he cant ever say that if he was a benin man or if he is from etsako.
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Thanks
When you hear "Oye Eboe" used to refer to a group of people, what language comes to your mind.?

Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 16, 2017
Ngozi123:

Tbf, there were literate black men who predated Equiano. They even predated the first literate white men; it was hidden in the history books by the European imperialists.

Its possible but they were NOT yolibats. Lol
Re: Google Clebrates Olaudah Equiano's 272nd Birthday With Image by KemjikaEme: 7:51pm On Oct 16, 2017
TheKingIsHere:

Actually,it doesn't cost much to google 'The interesting narrative of the life of Olaudah Equiano.
Google will automatically give you straight links to the full text.
Try it!
Unless you are perptually Lazy and arguing for fun.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

David Mark Drives Through Loko-Oweto Road To Otukpo As Project Nears Completion / Soldier Killed, Houses Burnt As Troops, Imo Youths Clash / Pictures Of Tinubu Facing APC Presidential Screening Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.