Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports (8196 Views)

Nigerians React Over Approval Of $1 Billion For Anti-Terrorism War / Governors Approve Withdrawal Of $1 Billion From ECA To Fight Boko Haram / $1 Billion Ogoni Cleanup: Senate Committee Launches Probe, Visits Wike (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Blue3k(m): 3:57pm On Nov 01, 2017
●Government planning to set up more zones around the country

●Turkish investor to build, operate 60% of crop-processing park

Nigeria plans to establish a $1 billion crop-processing park with Turkish investors in the country’s north as part of efforts to improve value and boost agricultural exports, according to the country’s investment-promotion agency.

The Badeggi Crop Processing Zone in Niger state is expected to start in June next year, with an initial investment of $250 million by a Turkish investor, deputy director at Abuja-based Nigerian Investment Promotion Council, Aminu Takuma, said in an Oct. 30 interview. Additional funds of $800 million will follow and the investor will operate the park on completion, he said without identifying the Turkish partner, citing confidentiality obligations.

The facility will process more than 750,000 metric tons of crops including rice, maize, yam, cassava, groundnuts and peas every year, according to the agency. The government plans to set up 15 similar crop zones across the country of more than 180 million people, including one in Lagos, the country’s commercial capital.

President Muhammadu Buhari is trying to end the country’s dependence on oil as it emerges from its worst economic slump in 25 years caused by a drop in the output and price of crude, which accounts for more than 90 percent of foreign income. The government’s economic growth plan seeks to increase the contribution of agriculture to gross domestic product to more than 8 percent by 2020, from about 4 percent this year.

Goods will be transported from the crop-processing zone through the nearby Baro inland port on the Niger River, taking them down to the coast for shipment abroad, Takuma said.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-01/nigeria-plans-1-billion-crop-processing-zone-to-boost-exports?cmpId=flipboard

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Desyner: 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2017
While it is a good idea to have a single mega-investor process harvest and help avoid wastage, it will a better idea if many local merchants are supported to perform same role and help reduce capital flight.

The volume of wasted harvest due to lack of processing is significant enough. From chili pepper, potatoes, tomatoes, cassava, corn to rice, yam, etc are wasted every year even in midst of poverty.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Blue3k(m): 4:03pm On Nov 01, 2017
Turkey Nigeria business ties seem to be getting stronger. Let's see if the trade fair next year in Abuja helps. Anyway this and jubilee syringe factor in Akwa Ibom, Osun airport concessions are examples of Turkish investments.

Does Lagos produce a lot of food that the feel need to add them to processing zone? Oh well I'm interested to see where other 15 will be located. I'm guessing the others zones will by the other river ports to make export easier.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Desyner: 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2017
Blue3k:
Anyway this and jubilee syringe factor in Akwa Ibom, Osun airport concessions are examples of Turkish investments.
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by raker300: 4:14pm On Nov 01, 2017
This govt sha:

To to to to to...will will will will...

Enough of all these empty promises abeg

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 01, 2017
cool
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Onbelivable(m): 4:29pm On Nov 01, 2017
jhjm
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by GCFR95(m): 4:31pm On Nov 01, 2017
BUHARI and Fake promises...
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by tobtap: 4:32pm On Nov 01, 2017
cool cool
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Dearlord(m): 4:33pm On Nov 01, 2017
The person below may say something better than me

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Earthquake1: 4:33pm On Nov 01, 2017
To the person above. ..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by wtfcoded: 4:35pm On Nov 01, 2017
Until i see am 4 eye na then i go believe.
Infact,they don't need telling us b4 doing it,we are not pussies that needs to get wet first b4 the d!cking.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by ozoemenaca: 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2017
Until we see it materialise, I dont believe APC government. If they are really sincere, they should site them where it could boost export through other ports like that of Portharcourt, Calabar, Warri and Onitsha

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by pilarnig(m): 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2017
This is a good one, they should spread the others across the six geopolitical zone, even every state should have one
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by robotix: 4:40pm On Nov 01, 2017
Whenever he has been caught pants down, they throw some good news to distract folks... stupid man.. get out of that place and go tell us your involvement in MAINGATE...
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by omowolewa: 4:41pm On Nov 01, 2017
Tax Holidays for the companies, Duty free ExIm and Immigration quota.

Good Foreign Investments, Employment, Foreign Reserves, formation of new Economic clusters, Improved Innovation.

Oh! Government just sharing it's dreams as usual!! Okay
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by iretemide(f): 4:45pm On Nov 01, 2017
Good, check my signature
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by medolab90(m): 4:52pm On Nov 01, 2017
Am tired if hearing this kind of news
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Daniel058(m): 4:53pm On Nov 01, 2017
All the good news favoring our country mostly benefits the Northerners, few that come to the East doesn't reach Ebonyi, and the ones that manage to reach are usually of no benefit to the poor Masses, Even if we aren't marginalized our greedy leaders won't let it reach us.
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by bigpicture001: 4:55pm On Nov 01, 2017
..please ooo..can anyone educate me on y a foreign investor would want to come to nigeria instead of Ethiopia..?i would need like 8 reasons
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by GavelSlam: 4:57pm On Nov 01, 2017
Source is bloomberg not The Sun Newspaper.
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Charly68: 5:07pm On Nov 01, 2017
It seems Buhari mean business ooo! Bio fuel plant in Ondo,plus this Mega investment, I bet you if he can drive them successfully Nigeria will be a better place.
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by lastempero: 5:16pm On Nov 01, 2017
But the other day FG said that we import foods,how come they are planning for export when we don't have enough here. Hunger looming!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Orobo2Lekpa: 5:16pm On Nov 01, 2017
Nigeria always planning but we never see the reality on ground
I blame Buhari for not being FTC on this post

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Blue3k(m): 5:17pm On Nov 01, 2017
lastempero:
But the other day FG said that we import foods,how come they are planning for export when we don't have enough here. Hunger looming!!!

You don't import everything you eat simple.
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Chiedu4Trump: 5:20pm On Nov 01, 2017
I expect everything to be located in the North.
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Originalsly: 5:58pm On Nov 01, 2017
Can someone explain how Nigeria is going to gain from this project?... and don't tell me about the crumbs that will be thrown. Isn't the Turkish company coming to control and use our lands with the blessings of the FG? Shouldn't the policy be to encourage Nigerians to get involved in agriculture to bring about self sufficiency?... instead of handing over the land to foreignerd? Foreigner planting crops to process and export and we are hailing it as a welcomed development.I guess we would he able to boast of what and how much we produce and export.
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Davinex(m): 6:06pm On Nov 01, 2017
This will be a good development if it's well structured.
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by Blue3k(m): 6:19pm On Nov 01, 2017
Originalsly:
Can someone explain how Nigeria is going to gain from this project?... and don't tell me about the crumbs that will be thrown. Isn't the Turkish company coming to control and use our lands with the blessings of the FG? Shouldn't the policy be to encourage Nigerians to get involved in agriculture to bring about self sufficiency?... instead of handing over the land to foreigner? Foreigner planting crops to process and export and we are hailing it as a welcomed development.I guess we would he able to boast of what and how much we produce and export.

● Nigeriana are going to be employed by investor.
● Investor will pay taxes.
● The food he processes is grown by Nigerians. I doubt it's going to be only his crops he processes and stores.
● lower food prices because of better storage.

Yes the will get to use land they invested 200 million dollars towards (gasp the horror). The government already does get with chesp agriculture loans. You can also check ERGP see other policies. Agricultural processing is listed under manufacturing in that report.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by onebusiness(m): 6:42pm On Nov 01, 2017
check my signature for your free ebook on how to earn commissions from affiliate programs on autopilot
Re: Nigeria Plans $1 Billion Processing Zone To Boost Exports by mechanics(m): 6:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
Good news.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picking Male Running Mate Doesn’t Mean I Hate Women- Sanwo-olu / Nigeria Moves To Implement Biometric ECOWAS Card With $41M Mou / Edo Central Motorpark Vs Lagos Bus Stations In Pics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.