Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,083 members, 7,825,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? - Foreign Affairs (2071) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? (4445593 Views)

Iran Vs Israel: Who Has The Strongest Military ? / Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Which Country Has The Strongest Economy In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2068) (2069) (2070) (2071) (2072) (2073) (2074) ... (2991) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 7:29am On Apr 16, 2015
agaugust:

@Asuokaa has another two sources contained in his own source which are NOT blogs.

Same way you Southies have been posting some sources claiming that Soviets fought in Angola. The guy has opened up a new issue and controversy on this topic and you cannot just dismiss his case, he has sources :

The fact that as many as 5,000 Nigerian troops fought in Angola around 1976-77 may be the most widely-unknown fact in the annals of Nigeria’s very long history of foreign military operations.

In the aftermath of January 1976 OAU summit where General Murtala Muhammed in his timeless “AFRICA HAS COME OF AGE” outing decisively swung the support of the OAU and Africa in favour of the MPLA regime, to the chagrin of their UNITA and FNLA competitors, the FMG backed up the new MPLA government with N13.5m(US$20m) and sent a squadron of MiG-17 jet fighters in support.

It has now emerged that as many as 5,000 Nigerian troops were deployed to Angola and that they saw action in various theatres across the then war-blighted country.

Writing in an article entitled “MOSCOW’S NEXT TARGET IN AFRICA;Paying the Price for Angola“, Robert Moss clearly indicates that ….

QUOTE:

“The Nigerians are said to be heavily involved in Angola. Western intelligence sources report that Nigerian troops were present at battalion strength when the MPLA and the Cubans pushed south last year. According to UNITA sources in Paris, the Nigerian strength has since been reinforced.

UNITA sources have tapes of radio intercepts showing that at least 5,000 Nigerian troops have been deployed in Angola. They are operating as far south as Mocamedes, and are also based in Lobito, Luanda and the eastern diamond mining town of Henrique de Carvalho.

UNITA claims to have intercepted radio communications in English (the common language between the Nigerians, the Cubans and the MPLA), in the Ibo, Hausa and Yoruba dialects, and in a form of pidgin Creole…..An intriguing sidelight is that UNITA also claims that a British shipping line played a key role in ferrying Nigerian troops and military supplies to Angola.

Nigeria, rich in oil and boasting an army of some 210,000 men, can clearly afford to be more than rhetorical in its backing for the guerrilla movements of southern Africa.” END OF QUOTE

Corroborating this report, the world-renowned photo-agency GETTY IMAGES in an archival photo dated 1 January 1977 actually bears a caption which read as follows;

QUOTE:

“Caption: 1977: An Angolan soldier crawls beneath barbed wire trenches during training. Dr Jonas Savimbi and his UNITA movement is doing well in its fight against the ruling MPLA (Movement For The Liberation Of Angola), and its Cuban allies. UNITA claims to control at least half of Angola. In addition to the Cuban forces, Western intelligence sources report that at least 5000 Nigerian troops are also deployed in Angola, on the side of the MPLA. (Photo by Keystone/Getty Images). Date created: 01 Jan 1977 “. END OF QUOTE

http://www.rhodesia.nl/moss4.htm

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/3336214/Hulton-Archive

No where does it say Nigeria fought in Angola. Mocamedes never saw any ground combat and the only fighting there was a air strike in the late 80s. The Cubans defended the town.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by andrewza: 7:34am On Apr 16, 2015
stillchris:

rubbish. they look disorganised and unprofessional.

go look up Nigerian marine commandos beach assault drill conducted last year. that was a beauty.

How so. Some explanation please.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeCZAR: 8:29am On Apr 16, 2015
DEATHMACHINE:

they did ,mostly covert ops sir
Never set foot in Angola.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeCZAR: 8:32am On Apr 16, 2015
agaugust:

The Angolan war was not limited to 1977 alone, it lasted till early 1990s. As at 1977 Nigeria had 30 MiG-21 jets with 150 Atoll air to air missiles and long range air to ground rockets, 20 Il-28 jet bombers, over 200 artillery guns , Frigate NNS Obuma, and the most battle hardened army in Africa with 250,000 troops fresh from Biafra war battlefield.

South Africa would have trembled if Nigeria replayed our 3rd Marine Commandos amphibious force landing 10,000 battle hardened elite troops on South African coast with air cover from Cuban MiG-23 jets and Nigerian Ilyushin - 28 Beagle jet bombers, Pretoria will pïss in it's pänts that day o !
Nigeria couldn't challenge SA militarily in the 1970s.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeCZAR: 8:34am On Apr 16, 2015
stillchris:

calm down papa ajasco. that info seemes to have rattled your empty skullgrin.

cos this your grammar na confusion ogrin.
Nigerians never fought in Angola.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeCZAR: 8:37am On Apr 16, 2015
agaugust:

I am asking again if you understand English language, I said Nigeria landing 3rd marine commandos on South African coast WITH AIR COVER FROM CUBAN MIG-23 JETS.....then you ask me again about air cover, are you blind and need braille to read ?

Bobo Odenson grin grin

How many MIG-23 did Cuba have?

Which airstrip would they use for such mission.

And No, they didn't have MIG-23s then.

South Africa had a strong ant-shipping capability.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by MikeCZAR: 8:41am On Apr 16, 2015
stillchris:

rubbish. they look disorganised and unprofessional.

go look up Nigerian marine commandos beach assault drill conducted last year. that was a beauty.
Your opinion.
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:36am On Apr 16, 2015
MikeCZAR:
Never set foot in Angola.

[b]
The fact that as many as 5,000 Nigerian troops fought in Angola around 1976-77 may be the most widely-unknown fact in the annals of Nigeria’s very long history of foreign military operations.

In the aftermath of January 1976 OAU summit where General Murtala Muhammed in his timeless “AFRICA HAS COME OF AGE” outing decisively swung the support of the OAU and Africa in favour of the MPLA regime, to the chagrin of their UNITA and FNLA competitors,  the FMG backed up the new MPLA government with N13.5m(US$20m) and sent a squadron of MiG-17 jet fighters in support.

It has now emerged that as many as 5,000 Nigerian troops were deployed to Angola and that they saw action in various theatres across the then war-blighted country.

Writing in an article entitled “MOSCOW’S NEXT TARGET IN AFRICA;Paying the Price for Angola“, Robert Moss clearly indicates that ….

QUOTE:

“The Nigerians are said to be heavily involved in Angola. Western intelligence sources report that Nigerian troops were present at battalion strength when the MPLA and the Cubans pushed south last year.  According to UNITA sources in Paris, the Nigerian strength has since been reinforced.

UNITA sources have tapes of radio intercepts showing that at least 5,000 Nigerian troops have been deployed in Angola. They are operating as far south as Mocamedes, and are also based in Lobito, Luanda and the eastern diamond mining town of Henrique de Carvalho.

UNITA claims to have intercepted radio communications in English (the common language between the Nigerians, the Cubans and the MPLA), in the Ibo, Hausa and Yoruba dialects, and in a form of pidgin Creole…..An intriguing sidelight is that UNITA also claims that a British shipping line played a key role in ferrying Nigerian troops and military supplies to Angola.

Nigeria, rich in oil and boasting an army of some 210,000 men, can clearly afford to be more than rhetorical in its backing for the guerrilla movements of southern Africa.”         END OF QUOTE

Corroborating this report, the world-renowned photo-agency GETTY IMAGES in an archival photo dated 1 January 1977 actually bears a caption which read as follows;

QUOTE:

“Caption: 1977: An Angolan soldier crawls beneath barbed wire trenches during training. Dr Jonas Savimbi and his UNITA movement is doing well in its fight against the ruling MPLA (Movement For The Liberation Of Angola), and its Cuban allies. UNITA claims to control at least half of Angola. In addition to the Cuban forces, Western intelligence sources report that at least 5000 Nigerian troops are also deployed in Angola, on the side of the MPLA. (Photo by Keystone/Getty Images).  Date created: 01 Jan 1977 “.     END OF QUOTE [/b]

We kicked your A$s in Angola

5 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Asuokaa: 9:37am On Apr 16, 2015
patches689:

Ww1, Ww2, Korea and Angola called

They want to remind you that Nigeria did not make any meaningfull contribution to any of them

Your tiny deployments against rebels dont impress anyone

Who's Brigade was it that smashed an entire German Divion in the trenches of WW1?

Who was it that conqoured Namibia, Tanzania and east africa in WW1?

Who was it that held back the mighty German Afrika Corps?

Who was it the smashed through the Gotha line in Italy?

Who is it that has over 50 WW2 aces?

Who was it that was the most effective and respected ground attack sqaudron in Korea? Given American Presidential Unit citations!!

Who was it that smashed 60 000 Cubans and 100000 Angolans 35 times in a row?

Who was it that re-wrote the book on mobility warfare?

Who was it that saved you from Boko Haram?

It was South Afrika. We have been killing and dieing in the worlds hardest and toughest battles since before you were even a country.

story for the gods grin grin grin grin....

which country in africa champion united nation missions

which country in africa has military officers that acts has commanders in different countries

which country in africa has the highest military advisers to united nations

which country has gone to more wars to defend their brothers than to snapp selfies in Africa

so many questions

do you knw why Egypt called Nigeria to help fight isis in libya and not SA is because we will be fighting not snapping selfies.....
we are battle tested

ww1 and 2 we fought too...u went as slaves to die wretched on the battle field we went as heroes we have soldiers that have their ww1 and ww2 medals to show

hope ur not blind to see
goodbye

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 16, 2015
MikeCZAR:
Your opinion.

Not his Opinion, your military is poorly organised, poorly trained and Outright incompetent. That beach landing photo is yet another proof.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Asuokaa: 9:38am On Apr 16, 2015
Henry120:

[b]

In the aftermath of January 1976 OAU summit where General Murtala Muhammed in his timeless “AFRICA HAS COME OF AGE” outing decisively swung the support of the OAU and Africa in favour of the MPLA regime, to the chagrin of their UNITA and FNLA competitors,  the FMG backed up the new MPLA government with N13.5m(US$20m) and sent a squadron of MiG-17 jet fighters in support.

QUOTE:

“The Nigerians are said to be heavily involved in Angola. Western intelligence sources report that Nigerian troops were present at battalion strength when the MPLA and the Cubans pushed south last year.  According to UNITA sources in Paris, the Nigerian strength has since been reinforced.

Nigeria, rich in oil and boasting an army of some 210,000 men, can clearly afford to be more than rhetorical in its backing for the guerrilla movements of southern Africa.”         END OF QUOTE

QUOTE:

“Caption: 1977: An Angolan soldier crawls beneath barbed wire trenches during training. Dr Jonas Savimbi and his UNITA movement is doing well in its fight against the ruling MPLA (Movement For The Liberation Of Angola), and its Cuban allies. UNITA claims to control at least half of Angola. In addition to the Cuban forces, Western intelligence sources report that at least 5000 Nigerian troops are also deployed in Angola, on the side of the MPLA. (Photo by Keystone/Getty Images).  Date created: 01 Jan 1977 “.     END OF QUOTE [/b]

We kicked your A$s in Angola

leave them...they are licking their wounds...cause dey nvr saw this coming

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 16, 2015
Asuokaa:

story for the gods grin grin grin grin....

which country in africa champion united nation missions

which country in africa has military officers that acts has commanders in different countries

which country in africa has the highest military advisers to united nations

which country has gone to more wars to defend their brothers than to snapp selfies in Africa

so many questions

do you knw why Egypt called Nigeria to help fight isis in libya and not SA is because we will be fighting not snapping selfies.....
we are battle tested

ww1 and 2 we fought too...u went as slaves to die wretched on the battle field we went as heroes we have soldiers that have their ww1 and ww2 medals to show

hope ur not blind to see
goodbye

I've never really taken a keen interest in the War in Angola, never even knew Nigerian Troops and Fighter jets took part part in the conflict.

Now Seeing that our troops took part, I'm going to read on the conflict.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:45am On Apr 16, 2015
Asuokaa:

leave them...they are licking their wounds...cause dey nvr saw this coming

"They never saw this coming?".............. I'm just as stunned myself!!

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Asuokaa: 9:46am On Apr 16, 2015
Henry120:

I've never really taken a keen interest in the War in Angola, never even knew Nigerian Troops and Fighter jets took part part in the conflict.

Now Seeing that our troops took part, I'm going to read on the conflict.

bro that is the point i blame the military pr for not bringing out our war achieves....

just got this from aljazeera our involvement in ww2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BREOezfAJSU

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/nigeria-for-victory-the-story-of-nigerias-contribution-to-world-war-ii-efforts.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_troops
http://www.onlinenigeria.com/independence/?blurb=635

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 9:51am On Apr 16, 2015
Asuokaa:

bro that is the point i blame the military pr for not bringing out our war achieves....

just got this from aljazeera our involvement in ww2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BREOezfAJSU

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/nigeria-for-victory-the-story-of-nigerias-contribution-to-world-war-ii-efforts.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_troops

Just WOW!!!!!

I've read on our involvement in Burma, and how we gave it to the Japanese, but Angola.......... Just so Surprising over 5 battalions plus a squadron of MIG jets, that's a large deployment by any standard.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Asuokaa: 9:55am On Apr 16, 2015
Henry120:

Just WOW!!!!!

I've read on our involvement in Burma, and how we gave it to the Japanese, but Angola.......... Just so Surprising over 5 battalions plus a squadron of MIG jets, that's a large deployment by any standard.

bro i will go to the department of military secretary some day and check our achieves myself...if i see images ill snapp

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 9:59am On Apr 16, 2015
Patchesagain:

Japan does not sell its weapons due to Japanese law

Again, a military researcher should know this.

You dont, because you arent one.

Inferiority complex is your problem, so you keep screaming "Military Researcher" like it tor.ments y.ou day and night grin grin

Did you read what I wrote? Yes you did, because you even quoted it. I already explained why Japan does not export weapons, better explanation than yours, actually you failed to explain and hit the real point they way I clearly said it....

agaugust:

I also think the world of weapons manufacturing and technology is missing Japan due to their long absence from the arms race. Japan is a country that can build great weapons and equipment, but the terms of surrender in world war II and treaty signed with USA has ended Japan's ambition forever I think.

Keep yelling "Military researcher" as we can all see it that the thing is a great tor.ment to you as if you are already in h.ades grin grin
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:07am On Apr 16, 2015
Msauza:

How do you know that Nigerian pilots were better than Cuban pilots then if they were never engaged in any air combat? Nigeria used mercenary pilots throughout the Biafra war. Agaugust is dreaming as usual.

NAF had it's first jets during the war, used mercenary pilots for 12 months while we trained Nigerian jet pilots who took over for the remaining 2 years of the war.

That history is clearly posted on NAF official website, we trained pilots in war and took over ALL our jets in 12 months

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:10am On Apr 16, 2015
Patchesagain:

How will Cubans provide air-cover?

Tactical planning
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:11am On Apr 16, 2015
[size=16pt]

Imagine Nigeria still growing GDP to lead Africa, despite war and level of power supply...

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/kia-to-assemble-25000-vehicles-annually-in-lagos/

.[/size]
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 16, 2015
Asuokaa:

bro i will go to the department of military secretary some day and check our achieves myself...if i see images ill snapp

That would be just fantastic. We have a very rich military history.

3 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:12am On Apr 16, 2015
Henry120:

We have a very rich military history.

I told SiriusBlack to go relax back then, Nigerian army 150 years, never lost a war. Boko Haram was doomed to fail from beginning

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 16, 2015
patches689:

Ww1, Ww2, Korea and Angola called

They want to remind you that Nigeria did not make any meaningfull contribution to any of them

Your tiny deployments against rebels dont impress anyone

Who's Brigade was it that smashed an entire German Divion in the trenches of WW1?

Who was it that conqoured Namibia, Tanzania and east africa in WW1?

Who was it that held back the mighty German Afrika Corps?

Who was it the smashed through the Gotha line in Italy?

Who is it that has over 50 WW2 aces?

Who was it that was the most effective and respected ground attack sqaudron in Korea? Given American Presidential Unit citations!!

Who was it that smashed 60 000 Cubans and 100000 Angolans 35 times in a row?

Who was it that re-wrote the book on mobility warfare?

Who was it that saved you from Boko Haram?

It was South Afrika. We have been killing and dieing in the worlds hardest and toughest battles since before you were even a country.
10/10 my bru!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 16, 2015
agaugust:
[size=16pt]

Imagine Nigeria still growing GDP to lead Africa, despite war and level of power supply...

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/kia-to-assemble-25000-vehicles-annually-in-lagos/

.[/size]
Not if the oil prices stay this low mate!!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:14am On Apr 16, 2015
jln115:

10/10 my bru!

He was posting his private opinion without any sources to prove it

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by agaugust: 10:15am On Apr 16, 2015
jln115:

You are not smart enough to see a move away from oil to manufacturing.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 16, 2015
agaugust:
[size=16pt]

.[/size]

Despite an Insurgency, we attracted 32 Car assembly plants and car component manufacturers in 2 years.

If we produced 40,000 megawatts we would in the Top 10 world's largest economies with double digit growth figures.

At our current output, we are the worlds 21st largest economy.

2 Likes

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:18am On Apr 16, 2015
agaugust:

He was posting his private opinion without any sources to prove it
Uhm.......You can go look it up! every thing he said was fact!!!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 16, 2015
jln115:

Oil only accounts for 16% of total GDP, while services is the largest at 50%. Still, with Africa's largest Oil refinery coming on stream in 2017, growth rate would still increase.

1 Like

Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 16, 2015
agaugust:

You are not smart enough to see a move away from oil to manufacturing.
Really? Just last week I read an article that states 80% of Nigeria's income was based on oil sale!
BTW oil prices are projected to stay under $65 per barrel even after 2020, so you guys are fvcked!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 16, 2015
Henry120:

Oil only accounts for 16% of total GDP, while services is the largest at 50%. Still, with Africa's largest Oil refinery coming on stream in 2017, growth rate would still increase.
80% of Nigeria's income is dependent on oil sales, I posted multiple source!
Re: Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? by Asuokaa: 10:25am On Apr 16, 2015
Nigerian soldiers leaving Kaduna for a second tour of service with the United Nations in Congo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2068) (2069) (2070) (2071) (2072) (2073) (2074) ... (2991) (Reply)

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.