Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,898 members, 7,824,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons (10794 Views)

Toyota Camry Not Revving/raising When Accelerate On Park. / Corolla 09 Rpm High On Park / Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park(p) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by exlinkleads(f): 8:20am On Nov 05, 2017
Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons - Exlink Autos

This is a million dollar question and many people wonders why use the handbrake when you put your car in P - Park for automatic vehicles. Well, first of all, if its not important, the manufacturers wouldn't deem it fit to leave it there.

I decided to write this post because of whats someone posted on Nairaland this morning;

Hello guys, out of my curiosity, I'll like to ask;

For Automatic cars, it's impossible for the car to roll when the gear is on Park(P), still i observe some people engage their handbrake while the car is on P.

As for me, the only time i use my handbrake for Automatic cars is while I'm on traffic and i want to relax my foot, i prefer to use the Neutral(N) gear (because it's more closer to D for a quick start) when I'm on a hilly road to prevent the car from rolling.

What you need to know about the handbrakes

The handbrake is an essential component of your vehicle's safety system and it should be used on a regular basis - not just when the car is parked on a hill. While a handbrake is usually recognized as essential in a manual transmission vehicle, it should be considered just as important in an automatic transmission vehicle as well.

When a car with an automatic transmission is put into park, a device inside the transmission called a "parking pawl" engages. A parking pawl is a metal pin that engages into a notch ring that is attached to the transmission's output shaft. When engaged, the pawl restricts the transmission's output shaft from turning.

Unfortunately, parking pawls can break or possibly become dislodged. While this is not a common occurrence it can happen, and if it does your car may end up rolling down the street. To further cement this notion, consider reading this article on why Toyota recalled about 300,000 sienna vehicles @ Toyota Recalls 300,000 Sienna Minivans As They May Roll-Away Unexpectedly

A handbrake on the other hand will hold the vehicle in place even if the parking pawl breaks or dislodges. The handbrake is a manual system that puts a stronger hold on the vehicle than simply putting it into park.

When it comes to manual transmissions, the handbrake is essential. Leaving a manual transmission in gear does not lock the vehicle in place, it simply makes it harder to move, but it can still roll away. The handbrake should be engaged every single time a manual transmission vehicle is parked as well as automatic system.

How handbrakes work

The handbrake is a completely mechanical system that bypasses the hydraulic braking system to stop the car in an emergency or keep it in place when parked. Steel cables are attached to the parking brake lever and when the lever is pulled the cables tighten, pulling another lever that compresses the brake shoes (on drum brakes) to stop the vehicle or hold it in place.

On a disk brake system, when the handbrake lever is pulled, it engages a corkscrew device, which pushes a piston into the brake pads stopping the vehicle. Handbrakes are also outfitted with a self locking mechanism so the parking brake will not release until the lever or in some cases the parking brake pedal is released.

Below is the major reasons why its important to engage your handbrake even when the gear lever is on P - Park positive.

1. Handbrake is more useful than u think. Have u ever wondered why it is difficult to engage your gear while u are parked on a slope? Ha ha u think it's normal and harmless for u to be engaging your gear with force and a loud bang? That is because the transmission is resting on the slope, it can wear your transmission faster.

The right way to park is first engage your handbrake while your foot is on the foot brake. Then put your car in park. That way the handbrake stops the car from rolling and the transmission will be free. So that when u want to get your car out of park it will be so easy without that loud bang.Thus this reduces the stress on the gearbox (or something similar).

FYI - The rule is - (handbrake, then shift into park).

2. Also useful when u parallel park on a very steel slope, let's say a car is parked closely behind u. When u want to move forward, on engaging drive, u would want to take your foot off the brake to accelerate, your car might back up before going forward due to the steep slope thereby hitting the car behind u. But with handbrake engaged that can be avoided. Just floor the throttle before releasing hand brake.

3. If the car is hit while parked the handbrake will provide stability to the vehicle, and in most cases will prevent it from rolling away.

4. It is best to engage the parking brake while the brake pedal is being depressed, before shifting into park this will reduce the strain on the parking pawl.

5. If the parking brake isn't used regularly, the cables, which are located under the car can corrode and get stuck in place. This can become a big problem, as you may not be able to use the brake or the cable will snap when you try to engage it.

6. Most importantly, do not forget to disengage the parking brake before driving, as it can damage the entire braking system

Now you know how important it is.

more @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2017/11/some-people-asked-why-use-your.html

cc mynd44 dominique lalasticlala missyb3 obinoscopy

12 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by 3kay945(m): 11:23am On Nov 05, 2017
I will start using my now. Thanks
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by nony43(m): 7:02am On Nov 06, 2017
Instructor, can we use the hand when the car fails brake? If no what can we do in a manual or automatic transition. Thank you
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Hivazinc: 7:02am On Nov 06, 2017
We have hear
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by soath(m): 7:04am On Nov 06, 2017
Sorry, but I've to do this. Good morning y'all. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by tiswell(m): 7:04am On Nov 06, 2017
Been doing that since 12BC

3 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by talk2percy(m): 7:07am On Nov 06, 2017
I don't even know where the handbrake of my car is anymore.

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by micgray100(m): 7:07am On Nov 06, 2017
Good one...
Register your limited liability company in 5 working days.. See commendations on my trend in the signature..

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by skedy1(m): 7:12am On Nov 06, 2017
Yeah, cool one!

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Activeman391(m): 7:19am On Nov 06, 2017
As for me using the handbrake when parking is a must o,i nor dey fail. Can't fit for stories that touch

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by agarawu23(m): 7:25am On Nov 06, 2017
3kay945:
I will start using my now. Thanks
the better for u tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by RZArecta(m): 7:28am On Nov 06, 2017
This article looks very very familiar ie posted by two people on the same thread here on nairaland but converted into one article. I Dey come cool

Modified

I talk am. Op, please be creative, try to use your head to formulate your own article instead of plagiarising things. The worst is that is even nairaland to nairaland plagiarism. E no good o

https://www.nairaland.com/4157011/why-use-handbrake-when-gear

Cc chuksbadt & greenhulk, @ exlinkleads jacked your posts and turned it into a blog article.... She bad

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Kizyte(m): 7:43am On Nov 06, 2017
nony43:
Instructor, can we use the hand when the car fails brake? If no what can we do in a manual or automatic transition. Thank you
Drag your lever to 'P' It saved my life when I gave my car to my learner friend, thank God I was sitting right beside him in front. He forgot the brake as we approach a barricade on high speed. I would've been a dead man by now if I didn't think fast. I immediately pulled the gear to 'P' I could hear the screeching sound from the tires.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by yimikaa: 8:05am On Nov 06, 2017
soath:
Sorry, but I've to do this. Good morning y'all. grin
no

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by DaLaw22(m): 8:11am On Nov 06, 2017
I stopped using handbrakes since I would always drive off without remembering to disengage the brake. Most times I only remember them when I have gotten to my destination and want to park again. SMH

grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Jibwillz: 8:21am On Nov 06, 2017
DaLaw22:
I stopped using handbrakes since I would always drive off without remembering to disengage the brake. Most times I only remember them when I have gotten to my destination and want to park again. SMH

grin grin
Chai, I be think say nah only me dey guilty of such act ooo.. good to know I'm not alone.

2 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Wristler: 8:23am On Nov 06, 2017
My handbrake is weak... Doesn't seem to hold much on a slope....Hiw do I fix it?
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Gryffindor: 8:26am On Nov 06, 2017
handbrake when putting of stone abi blocks under tire still exist,mtchewww
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by exlinkleads(f): 9:03am On Nov 06, 2017
nony43:

Using the handbrake when the car fails brake is very very dangerous because handbrake is designed to brake the car system instantly immediately its engaged. Note that handbrake is designed to be engaged when the car is on potential energy (energy at rest) not while in motion.

The best thing to do is to make sure you try as much as possible to bring your car to the minimal motion before you can now engage the handbrake since it is emergency but never ever engage the handbrake if your normal brake fails when on high speed, else your car will tumble immediately.

be warned

4 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by exlinkleads(f): 9:06am On Nov 06, 2017
RZArecta:
This article looks very very familiar ie posted by two people on the same thread here on nairaland but converted into one article. I Dey come cool

Modified

I talk am. Op, please be creative, try to use your head to formulate your own article instead of plagiarising things. The worst is that is even nairaland to nairaland plagiarism. E no good o

https://www.nairaland.com/4157011/why-use-handbrake-when-gear

Cc chuksbadt & greenhulk, @ exlinkleads jacked your posts and turned it into a blog article.... She bad

Why are you like this? And what do you understand by plagiarism? If you read the article well, you will see that I mentioned the first writer and also gave credit to Nairaland before organizing and showering my thought.

That cannot be construed as plagiarism anymore.

Can't you see that nobody like your post or even replied you cuz you don't know what you are talking about.

Na wa oooo

3 Likes

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by salesforce: 9:12am On Nov 06, 2017
Yes
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Kendroid: 9:16am On Nov 06, 2017
Kizyte:
Drag your lever to 'P' It saved my life when I gave my car to my learner friend, thank God I was sitting right beside him in front. He forgot the brake as we approach a barricade on high speed. I would've been a dead man by now if I didn't think fast. I immediately pulled the gear to 'P' I could hear the screeching sound from the tires.

How the hell did u allow ur learner friend to drive on a high speed??

I smell lies cheesy
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Kendroid: 9:18am On Nov 06, 2017
Wristler:
My handbrake is weak... Doesn't seem to hold much on a slope....Hiw do I fix it?

Ngolo Kante can help u on this!! grin

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Kendroid: 9:20am On Nov 06, 2017
All these brake issues is the main reason why i prefer my Legediz Benz...

Just get a good foot wear, and u are good to go! grin
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by miteolu(m): 9:27am On Nov 06, 2017
I had a failed brake with my car last week. All my family members and two of other families were in car. I tried to use hand brake but zero result. I didn't inform any of my people the situation nor panic. I thank God for helping me, I managed to enter some big and wide pot holes to reduce the speed. I later push the gear to N (Neutral) before switching off the car. Everyone come out without any injury but my front and rear bumper slightly affected.
My question is, since my handbrake is in good condition why can't it reduce speed
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Kizyte(m): 10:06am On Nov 06, 2017
Kendroid:

How the hell did u allow ur learner friend to drive on a high speed??

I smell lies cheesy
Have you forgotten those 'I can drive type'? You'll never know until you give them a car smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by istephen(m): 10:10am On Nov 06, 2017
Well, I always use the handbrake when my car is on park mode.
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 06, 2017
Where do I buy one for my feet
Re: Why Use Your Handbrake When The Gear Is On Park? - See 6 Important Reasons by Kendroid: 10:17am On Nov 06, 2017
Kizyte:
Have you forgotten those 'I can drive type'? You'll never know until you give them a car smiley

Then when u give them a car, u then watch them speed you to death abi??

Issoryte, juz kontinu

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Diy: Immobiliser Delete On Bosch Motronic Me 7.5 Ecu (audi A4 B5 Facelift) / Abuja Ban On Minibuses Starts Today / Cummins Just Beat Tesla In The Race To Build A Semi Electric Truck

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.