Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,753 members, 7,809,887 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online (1716 Views)

Umar Yakubu-Barde Recommends Amputation & Hanging For Corrupt Officials / Anger Grows In Judiciary Against Buhari, Chief Judge Bars Remand Orders To EFCC / Chief Judge Bars Magistrates From Granting Remand Orders To EFCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by kosovo(m): 6:34am On Mar 24, 2010
Court documents confirmed the ruling of Justice Muhammed.

An order is hereby given restraining the respondents (CRC) either by themselves or their agents from opening a chat forum on Facebook, Twitter, or any blog for the purpose of the debate on the amputation of Malam Buba Bello Jangebe,” the document read.

Jangebe was the first person to have his right wrist amputated on the orders of a Sharia court in Zamfara State, a year after 12 Northern states adopted the strict Islamic penal code during the President Olusegun Obasanjo administration.

President of the CRC Shehu Sani said the group would challenge the order at a higher court. He said the order tramples on his right to free speech and freedom of association.

Sani added that the chat forum was opened about 10 days ago to provide an avenue for Nigerians to discuss Sharia law as a whole and the amputation of Jangebe in particular.

“We opened the blog on Facebook and Twitter chats 10 days ago to serve as a platform for which Nigerians could air their opinions on Sharia law as a whole and the justification or otherwise of the amputation of the hand of Malam Buba Bello Jangebe,” Sani said.

More!
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by Realvoice(m): 6:57am On Mar 24, 2010
The judge might as well tell people not to breathe.
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by hollandis(f): 7:31am On Mar 24, 2010
I support sharia ,so long as their Muslim brothers are the victims grin cheesy wink
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by kosovo(m): 8:01am On Mar 24, 2010
^^^
I do not support that Sharia should be enforced on any human. . .

Your last post is hilarious , , , no body should be meant to suffer. . .
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by kawazaki(m): 10:12am On Mar 24, 2010
Can these people just go on their own ,

When will Sharia catch up with their Leaders?,
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by DisGuy: 10:16am On Mar 24, 2010
I don't believe this shyte for one minute!

how will the judge know there is a discussion going on, on facebook or twitter

Biggest lie
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by ElRazur: 10:17am On Mar 24, 2010
The internet is one of the last few places where there are proper freedoms of speech. If a judge is trying to curb this, that I am against it. Simple.

Let him learn from China V Google. You cannot curb freedom of speech on the net, it will be counter-productive. I very much doubts he understand what the internet is about.
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by ElRazur: 10:17am On Mar 24, 2010
Dis Guy:

I don't believe this shyte for one minute!

how will the judge know there is a discussion going on, on facebook or twitter

Biggest lie

I think you should.

With the right technology, a government can have control over internet. China is a good example.
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by DisGuy: 10:27am On Mar 24, 2010
ElRazur:

I think you should.

With the right technology, a government can have control over internet. China is a good example.

I'm talking about nigeria

this same nigeria where online account printouts or e-documents are not recognised by the courts
think about it, many discussions have been had on nairaland and i don't see anyone talking about it
all the anti-yaradua campaigns on facebook, all the pro-homo nigeria campaign, this one na lie!!

I don't believe this shyte
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by deor03(m): 10:28am On Mar 24, 2010
Quote from chris Neboh : ThisDay Newspapers

I give credit to the individual or group who decided to challenge the CRC action in court.
Our country will be great and our reputation will soar, when we follow the due process of law in addressing or redressing those issues that challenge our deepest emotions or beleifs, irrespective of whether they are secular or sacred.
On a lighter note, I think that it will not be a bad idea to join Mallam Facebook and Hajia Twitter as parties.
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by desgiezd(m): 10:29am On Mar 24, 2010
The judge is freaking dumd and his action will only draw more people to the discussion on Facebook.

^^^I doubt if Kaduna has that kind of technology
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by Alxmyr(m): 12:24pm On Mar 24, 2010
They should ban internet. Then we will take them serious. Yeye
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by yemipretty(f): 12:36pm On Mar 24, 2010
shocked shocked grin grin angry angryI actually found this article very funny when I read it in Thisday Online. Since when did internet forums become subject to the jurisdiction of a court. I'm sure the judge cant even maximise the apps on his Nokia 3310 not to talk of knowing how to use the net. This is an example of how bad judicial precedents are sent. Later now, the same mallam judge will pass a judgment forbiding people from chatting online. Nonsense. I dont know which decision he used as precedent to pass such a faulty gag order.
May god deliver Nigeria from mediocres sad sad sad
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by ElRazur: 12:48pm On Mar 24, 2010
yemipretty:

shocked shocked grin grin angry angryI actually found this article very funny when I read it in Thisday Online. Since when did internet forums become subject to the jurisdiction of a court. I'm sure the judge cant even maximise the apps on his Nokia 3310 not to talk of knowing how to use the net. This is an example of how bad judicial precedents are sent. Later now, the same mallam judge will pass a judgment forbiding people from chatting online. Nonsense. I dont know which decision he used as precedent to pass such a faulty gag order.
May god deliver Nigeria from mediocres sad sad sad

Yes the internet are subject to rules of the country. Only that the laws are not applicable outside the country. This ruling will make it almost illegal for anyone discussing the case in an on-line forum in Nigeria. However, how will those flaunting the courting ruling be caught is another question.
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by Seun(m): 1:30pm On Mar 24, 2010
Read the ruling carefully. 
It's not illegal for anyone to discuss the case.   
It's illegal for Civil Rights Congress to do so.
Why can't people read; even journalists?
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by Drunk: 2:16pm On Mar 24, 2010
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by Drunk: 2:21pm On Mar 24, 2010
Seun:

Read the ruling carefully. 
It's not illegal for anyone to discuss the case.   
It's illegal for Civil Rights Congress to do so.
Why can't people read; even journalists?
With this ^^ i guess and my understanding of the ruling it does not stop me either from discussing this? But why are they scared of the fact that someone is trying to remind the Sharia Judges they have failed so far
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by Bawss1(m): 5:02pm On Mar 24, 2010
Perhaps the Judge meant that the participating lawyers should not discuss the case on Facebook or Twitter. This is the only explanation that makes sense. I suspect that the Judge's comments were not understood properly and are being used to fan the Sharia debate. I wouldn't put such stunts beyond the Nigerian press.
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by Bawss1(m): 5:06pm On Mar 24, 2010
, I mean lawyers aren't suppose to make public comments about an on-going case right? smiley
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by ayettymama(f): 6:56pm On Mar 24, 2010
lol

are u people forgettin sharia is religious??

he can do wat he likes

he can even order all of u to be sentenced to death!!!!

lolz

i blame obasanjo

i still cannot believe a president can be above the constitution
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by insideview: 11:37am On Mar 25, 2010
The internet will do for the world what the printing press did for Europe in medieval times:- A societal Paradigm shift. in Europe, the explosion of knowledge and information marked the beginning of the end for feudalism and monarchy, what it portends for Naija is yet unclear, but if this pronouncement is anything to go by,  well, i siddon look.

For the judge, i wait to see how his pronouncement will be enforced (or if at all it can, cant vouch for the computer literacy of the enforcers).
Re: Judge Bars Civil Rights Congress From Debating Amputation Case Online by bibiking1(m): 11:45am On Mar 25, 2010
This judge is obviously a slowpoke!

(1) (Reply)

From 2011, Presidents And Governors Must Have A Degree / Jonathan Should Stop Naming Ethnic Groups In The North And Sw / "born-again" Pdp Chieftains Exposes 13 Methods Of Rigging Elections! ! !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.