Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,171 members, 7,821,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen (24578 Views)

Ladies, Which One Would You Choose To Marry? / When Single Ladies Choose To Cohabit With Men, What Goes Through Their Mind? / Nigerian Men Abroad, How Did You Choose Your Significant Half? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Julivas(m): 5:21pm On Dec 03, 2017
Toks2008:

Another phlosophical permutation.

1st Timothy 3:2
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach.

This was Paul's remarks to Bishops and many Biblical scholars have juxtaposed this to outright commandment for every Christian but this is not so.

Polygamy may be complex and not advisable for any man but let's say it as it is....it was never mentioned as a sin in the bible.

Toks, I must confess, you are a brilliant scholar, but come to think of it God says this is the reason why a man will marry a woman and become one flesh.

Genesis 2 : 24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife; and they shall be one flesh.

2 Likes

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 5:47pm On Dec 03, 2017
Julivas:

Toks, I must confess, you are a brilliant scholar, but come to think of it God says this is the reason why a man will marry a woman and become one flesh.

Genesis 2 : 24
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife; and they shall be one flesh.

You are still using phylosophy and that is heresy on its own.

Apparently at any point in time when you make the marital vow,you are joining to a woman so that verse is perfectly OK.

Marrying many wives was never condemned in the bible so enough of this foolish heresy flying about...

The devil has used this one man one woman heresy to destroy many marriages and I just shake my head in disbelief even when pastors preach about this on the alter.

I can't cope with polygamy cos of its complexity and I won't advise any man to go into it blindly but if you can handle it please go on with peace of mind.

Is it not crazy that many men stick to one wife yet philandering about?

I will never in my life sleep around when I marry but wait for this.....if at anytime I feel the need to be with another lady,I will gladly go get married to the lady of my choice,rent a house for her somewhere and be happy with myself.

Enough of this unfounded lies from the pit of hell that polygamy is a sin.

If people see 1st Timothy 3:2 as a commandment so be it but we all are not bishops or general overseers.

As far as I'm concerned,adultery is a sin but polygamy was never condemned in the bible.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Julivas(m): 8:12pm On Dec 03, 2017
Toks2008:

Apparently at any point in time when you make the marital vow,you are joining to a woman so that verse is perfectly OK.

Marrying many wives was never condemned in the bible so enough of this foolish heresy flying about...

The devil has used this one man one woman heresy to destroy many marriages and I just shake my head in disbelief even when pastors preach about this on the alter.

I can't cope with polygamy cos of its complexity and I won't advise any man to go into it blindly but if you can handle it please go on with peace of mind.

I will never in my life sleep around when I marry but wait for this.....if at anytime I feel the need to be with another lady,I will gladly go get married to the lady of my choice,rent a house for her somewhere and be happy with myself.

If people see 1st Timothy 3:2 as a commandment so be it but we all are not bishops or general overseers.

As far as I'm concerned,adultery is a sin but polygamy was never condemned in the bible.

Hmmm. .....heresy?
According to the scripture you quoted, 1 Timothy 3 : 2
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt at teaching;

Do you think what makes a bishop guilty will make someone who is not a bishop blameless?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 9:15pm On Dec 03, 2017
lalasticlala I guess this is a good one.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Baskela(m): 11:19pm On Dec 03, 2017
Toks2008:

Ist Corinthians 7:2- Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

If every woman is to have "her own" husband I don't see how the man would be "her own" when he introduces another woman into the picture. So yes, the Bible clearly condemns polygamy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by obowunmi(m): 3:48am On Dec 04, 2017
Toks2008:

Indeed, polygamy is not a sin.

Monogamy is a choice.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by obowunmi(m): 3:49am On Dec 04, 2017
Baskela:

Ist Corinthians 7:2- Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

If every woman is to have "her own" husband I don't see how the man would be "her own" when he introduces another woman into the picture. So yes, the Bible clearly condemns polygamy.

No it doesn't. This is a lie from the pit of hell.

Monogamy is a choice.

Solomon the wisest man in the Bible had 300 plus wives and many more concubines.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by obowunmi(m): 3:52am On Dec 04, 2017
God created marriage.

If you are not a child of God and a "born-again", you have no business, getting married. Because you are not covered under his covenant.

The notion of polygamy and monogamy boils down to choice.

1 Like

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 7:33am On Dec 04, 2017
Baskela:

I really dont know what to write again.

My question still remains.."IS POLYGAMY A SIN"

Yes we all know that judging from the model of marriage as quoted from the scriptures,singular use of the word man and woman suggests the model of marriage but then we need to understand that somethings may not be ideal but could be permitted and ofcourse may not be a sin.

Question: "Why did God allow polygamy / bigamy in the Bible?"

Answer: The question of polygamy is an interesting one in that most people today view polygamy as immoral while the Bible nowhere explicitly condemns it. The first instance of polygamy/bigamy in the Bible was that of Lamech in Genesis 4:19: “Lamech married two women.” Several prominent men in the Old Testament were polygamists. Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon, and others all had multiple wives. Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (essentially wives of a lower status), according to 1 Kings 11:3. What are we to do with these instances of polygamy in the Old Testament? There are three questions that need to be answered: Why did God allow polygamy in the Old Testament?

Why did God allow polygamy in the Old Testament?
The Bible does not specifically say why God allowed polygamy. As we speculate about God’s silence, there are a few key factors to consider. First, while there are slightly more male babies than female babies, due to women having longer lifespans, there have always been more women in the world than men. Current statistics show that approximately 50.5 percent of the world population are women. Assuming the same percentages in ancient times, and multiplied by millions of people, there would be tens of thousands more women than men. Second, warfare in ancient times was especially brutal, with an incredibly high rate of fatality. This would have resulted in an even greater percentage of women to men. Third, due to patriarchal societies, it was nearly impossible for an unmarried woman to provide for herself. Women were often uneducated and untrained. Women relied on their fathers, brothers, and husbands for provision and protection. Unmarried women were often subjected to prostitution and slavery. The significant difference between the number of women and men would have left many, many women in an undesirable situation.

So, it seems that God may have allowed polygamy to protect and provide for the women who could not find a husband otherwise. A man would take multiple wives and serve as the provider and protector of all of them. While definitely not ideal, living in a polygamist household was far better than the alternatives: prostitution, slavery, or starvation. In addition to the protection/provision factor, polygamy enabled a much faster expansion of humanity, fulfilling God’s command to “be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth” (Genesis 9:7). Men are capable of impregnating multiple women in the same time period, causing humanity to grow much faster than if each man was only producing one child each year.

So my point is clear..polygamy or monogamy are simply two options and any man could settle for either one. Polygamy may not be the best choice and may not be the ideal model of marriage..BUT THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT A SIN AND OF-COURSE SHOULD NEVER A REASON FOR A WOMAN TO LEAVE HER HUSBAND.this is my point bro.

Have a great week ahead.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 7:55am On Dec 04, 2017
Toks2008:

The Bible does not specifically say why God allowed polygamy. As we speculate about God’s silence, there are a few key factors to consider. First, while there are slightly more male babies than female babies, due to women having longer lifespans, there have always been more women in the world than men. Current statistics show that approximately 50.5 percent of the world population are women. Assuming the same percentages in ancient times, and multiplied by millions of people, there would be tens of thousands more women than men. Second, warfare in ancient times was especially brutal, with an incredibly high rate of fatality. This would have resulted in an even greater percentage of women to men. Third, due to patriarchal societies, it was nearly impossible for an unmarried woman to provide for herself. Women were often uneducated and untrained. Women relied on their fathers, brothers, and husbands for provision and protection. Unmarried women were often subjected to prostitution and slavery. The significant difference between the number of women and men would have left many, many women in an undesirable situation.

So, it seems that God may have allowed polygamy to protect and provide for the women who could not find a husband otherwise. A man would take multiple wives and serve as the provider and protector of all of them. While definitely not ideal, living in a polygamist household was far better than the alternatives: prostitution, slavery, or starvation. In addition to the protection/provision factor, polygamy enabled a much faster expansion of humanity, fulfilling God’s command to “be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth” (Genesis 9:7). Men are capable of impregnating multiple women in the same time period, causing humanity to grow much faster than if each man was only producing one child each year.

Genesis 26:34
When Esau was forty years old he married Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite

Genesis 16:1-3
Now Sarai, Abram's wife had borne him no children, and she had an Egyptian maid whose name was Hagar. So Sarai said to Abram, "Now behold, the LORD has prevented me from bearing children. Please go in to my maid; perhaps I will obtain children through her." And Abram listened to the voice of Sarai. After Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan, Abram's wife Sarai took Hagar the Egyptian, her maid, and gave her to her husband Abram as his wife.

2 Chronicles 13:21
But Abijah became powerful; and took fourteen wives to himself, and became the father of twenty-two sons and sixteen daughters.

Genesis 30:3-5
She said, "Here is my maid Bilhah, go in to her that she may bear on my knees, that through her I too may have children." So she gave him her maid Bilhah as a wife, and Jacob went in to her. Bilhah conceived and bore Jacob a son.

Judges 8:30
Now Gideon had seventy sons who were his direct descendants, for he had many wives.

2 Samuel 3:1-5
Now there was a long war between the house of Saul and the house of David; and David grew steadily stronger, but the house of Saul grew weaker continually. Sons were born to David at Hebron: his firstborn was Amnon, by Ahinoam the Jezreelitess; and his second, Chileab, by Abigail the widow of Nabal the Carmelite; and the third, Absalom the son of Maacah, the daughter of Talmai, king of Geshur..

1 Chronicles 7:4
With them by their generations according to their fathers' households were 36,000 troops of the army for war, for they had many wives and sons.

2 Chronicles 11:23
He acted wisely and distributed some of his sons through all the territories of Judah and Benjamin to all the fortified cities, and he gave them food in abundance. And he sought many wives for them.

2 Chronicles 24:2-3
Joash did what was right in the sight of the LORD all the days of Jehoiada the priest. Jehoiada took two wives for him, and he became the father of sons and daughters.

1 Kings 11:1-8
Now King Solomon loved many foreign women along with the daughter of Pharaoh: Moabite, Ammonite, Edomite, Sidonian, and Hittite women, from the nations concerning which the LORD had said to the sons of Israel, "You shall not associate with them, nor shall they associate with you, for they will surely turn your heart away after their gods." Solomon held fast to these in love. He had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines, and his wives turned his heart away.

Genesis 29:30
So Jacob went in to Rachel also, and indeed he loved Rachel more than Leah, and he served with Laban for another seven years.

Genesis 30:1
Now when Rachel saw that she bore Jacob no children, she became jealous of her sister; and she said to Jacob, "Give me children, or else I die."

Deuteronomy 21:15-17

"If a man has two wives, the one loved and the other unloved, and both the loved and the unloved have borne him sons, if the firstborn son belongs to the unloved, then it shall be in the day he wills what he has to his sons, he cannot make the son of the loved the firstborn before the son of the unloved, who is the firstborn. "But he shall acknowledge the firstborn, the son of the unloved, by giving him a double portion of all that he has, for he is the beginning of his strength; to him belongs the right of the firstborn.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Baskela(m): 7:59am On Dec 04, 2017
Toks2008:

I really dont know what to write again.

My question still remains.."IS POLYGAMY A SIN"

Yes we all know that judging from the model of marriage as quoted from the scriptures,singular use of the word man and woman suggests the model of marriage but then we need to understand that somethings may not be ideal but could be permitted and ofcourse may not be a sin.

Question: "Why did God allow polygamy / bigamy in the Bible?"

Answer: The question of polygamy is an interesting one in that most people today view polygamy as immoral while the Bible nowhere explicitly condemns it. The first instance of polygamy/bigamy in the Bible was that of Lamech in Genesis 4:19: “Lamech married two women.” Several prominent men in the Old Testament were polygamists. Abraham, Jacob, David, Solomon, and others all had multiple wives. Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (essentially wives of a lower status), according to 1 Kings 11:3. What are we to do with these instances of polygamy in the Old Testament? There are three questions that need to be answered: Why did God allow polygamy in the Old Testament?

So my point is clear..polygamy or monogamy are simply two options and any man could settle for either one. Polygamy may not be the best choice and may not be the ideal model of marriage..BUT THAT DOES NOT MAKE IT A SIN AND OF-COURSE SHOULD NEVER A REASON FOR A WOMAN TO LEAVE HER HUSBAND.this is my point bro.

Have a great week ahead.

You asked if the Bible condemned polygamy, I quoted a portion of the Bible that clearly condemned it in the New Testament. If it wasn't a sin, would the Apostle Paul condemn it?

If Paul says every woman should have "her own" husband, would it make any sense if two women share the same man? Did Paul really have to say it's a sin before we know it's a sin?

Jesus said thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Did Jesus really have to say don't hate your neighbor before we know hating another is a sin?

I think Paul was very clear, he wouldn't condemn it if it wasn't a sin.

On the Old Testament argument and the mind of God, God accepted stoning an adulterer in the old testament, why doesn't he accept it Under the New covenant?

Why don't you quote a passage under the new covenant supporting polygamy? 'Cause all I see are old testament laws that have been done away with.

3 Likes

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Baskela(m): 8:02am On Dec 04, 2017
obowunmi:

Monogamy is a choice.

Solomon the wisest man in the Bible had 300 plus wives and many more concubines.

You mean the Apostle Paul is a liar?

1 Like

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by simsay: 8:08am On Dec 04, 2017
obowunmi:

Monogamy is a choice.

How did he end up? His wives lured him to idolatory, he died young, the kingdom was taken away from his heir.
Abraham married keturah after the initial Sarah, and she gave birth to the current warlords in the middle east.
Some of you here will never go into polygamy but will encourage others, well, we all have our lives to leave and we can make free choices, in Islam andother cultures it's permitted.
But it amazes me why some people want to force polygamy in christianity.
Christianity started with the new testament and the issue of polygamy was addressed as someone said earlier about the criteria for a bishop.
We are to be christ like. Jesus himself said in the beginning it was not so. Who do you follow, Jesus or solomon, Jesus or moses, Jesus or Abraham.
All those other people are humans like you with flaws and mistakes. Jesus is the way, the truth and life.
Great bible scholars from the days of Paul till this year 2017 has kicked against polygamy. Hardly do you find any bbible believing church doing such. Biko, where did you get your doctrine from.

5 Likes

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 9:38am On Dec 04, 2017
Baskela:

You asked if the Bible condemned polygamy, I quoted a portion of the Bible that clearly condemned it in the New Testament. If it wasn't a sin, would the Apostle Paul condemn it?

If Paul says every woman should have "her own" husband, would it make any sense if two women share the same man? Did Paul really have to say it's a sin before we know it's a sin?

Jesus said thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Did Jesus really have to say don't hate your neighbor before we know hating another is a sin?

I think Paul was very clear, he wouldn't condemn it if it wasn't a sin.

On the Old Testament argument and the mind of God, God accepted stoning an adulterer in the old testament, why doesn't he accept it Under the New covenant?

Why don't you quote a passage under the new covenant supporting polygamy? 'Cause all I see are old testament laws that have been done away with.

It amazes me that we tend to cut out a part of THE BIBLE,THE WORD OF GOD,when it comes to vital issues..when it comes to tithing the old testament is very very relevant but now on the issue of polygamy it becomes the old testament. Abeg swerve.

Even the king of kings himself,the embodiment of new testament,,my lord and Saviour Jesus said clearly...for i have not come to abolish the law(old testament) but to fulfill it.

Matthew 5:17
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

I repeat,polygamy was never ever a sin in the bible and it was never condemned because there was no where it was specifically tagged a condemned act. Nevertheless as i wrote,it may not be advisable but it is not the same as calling it a sin.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by tosyne2much(m): 9:48am On Dec 04, 2017
simsay:

[s] It's none of your business if they end up lonely and desperate, they made their decision, respect their decision. If cheating was the cause of the breakup, why not address the problem, instead of asking someone to adjust with the problem.
You want to know if am a lady so you can look away from the topic and focus on the gender with all bias. If more men stand for what is right, things could actually be better.
Hey, that you pass through a road doesn't qualify you, cos you couldn't endure the thick and thin of the road before you gave up. Did u study womanology or the study of women, my guess is no,do you have a wife- no, have you trained a girl child upto the university level- my guess is no. Are you a trained marriage counsellor, if so, where is your certificate.

Guy, u can't give what you don't have. You failed in your marriage (the bitter truth, marriage doesn't work for everyone, fine, but for a self acclaimed marriage counsellor, you dint even take your own advice in choosing a life partner) and it seems you have deep seated issues with women. You should be seeing a psychologist or a certified marriage counsellor instead of advertising yourself as one.

And this is where I drop my pen.
[/s]

Seriously you get problem oooo... Someone married and got divorced so why have you been making it a bone of contention? How is that your business? In your warped mentality, so you think every marriage counselor has a sweet home?

All you've been saying is nothing but bullcrap oga.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Baskela(m): 10:32am On Dec 04, 2017
Toks2008:

It amazes me that we tend to cut out a part of THE BIBLE,THE WORD OF GOD,when it comes to vital issues..when it comes to tithing the old testament is very very relevant but now on the issue of polygamy it becomes the old testament. Abeg swerve.

Even the king of kings himself,the embodiment of new testament,,my lord and Saviour Jesus said clearly...for i have not come to abolish the law(old testament) but to fulfill it.

Matthew 5:17
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

I repeat,polygamy was never ever a sin in the bible and it was never condemned because there was no where it was specifically tagged a condemned act. Nevertheless as i wrote,it may not be advisable but it is not the same as calling it a sin.

Again, you attempt to twist the scriptures. Jesus said I have come to "fulfill" the law. Has that been done? Yes, Jesus Christ fulfilled the law on the Cross. So you are no longer under the law.

Romans 6:14- For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

On polygamy, except you're calling Paul a liar, he clearly condemns it in 1st Corinthians 7:2

So you're no longer under the law. And who said anything about tithing?
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 2:39pm On Dec 04, 2017
Baskela:

Again, you attempt to twist the scriptures. Jesus said I have come to "fulfill" the law. Has that been done? Yes, Jesus Christ fulfilled the law on the Cross. So you are no longer under the law.

Romans 6:14- For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

On polygamy, except you're calling Paul a liar, he clearly condemns it in 1st Corinthians 7:2

So you're no longer under the law. And who said anything about tithing?

Explain that word...condemn and show me a quote where Paul condemned polygamy.

I will advise you to study the scriptures and not take one part in isolation.

If tithing is still relevant despite an old testament thing then please go to sleep and don't come here to condemn polygamy.

Most Christian theologians argue that in
Matthew 19:3–9 and referring to Genesis 2:24 Jesus explicitly states a man should have only one wife:

"Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?"

Polygamists do not dispute that in marriage "two shall be one flesh", they only disagree with the idea that a married man can only be "one flesh" with one woman.

Assuming the man is married, the fact that a man can even be "one flesh" with a harlot apparently does not negate his being "one flesh" with his wife.

"Do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, 'The two will become one flesh.'"
1 Corinthians 6:16

This indicates that the term one flesh refers to a physical, rather than spiritual, union.

So if a man is married, he and his wife are "one flesh." To add another wife would mean that the new wife becomes "one flesh" with the man AND his current wife.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 2:46pm On Dec 04, 2017
obowunmi:

Indeed, polygamy is not a sin.

Monogamy is a choice.

The funny thing is that even the scripture they all quote from the book of timothy has many interpretations.

Husband of one wife

Many critics of polygamy also point to the Paul epistles that state that church officials should be respectable, above reproach, and the husband of a single wife.

Hermeneutically, the Greek phrase mias gunaikos andra is an unusual Greek construction, capable of being translated in multiple ways, including (but not limited to):
1) "one wife man," (prohibiting plural marriage) or
2) "a wife man" (requiring elders to be married) or
3) "first wife man" (prohibiting divorcés from ordination).

Other interpretations include:

Being faithful in relationships or restrained from chasing many women, so as to be characterized as a one-woman man; having been married only once (even if morally and legally released from the marriage bond by the death of the spouse).

Some argue that definition 1 above implies acceptance of polygamy in the larger Christian culture , explaining Paul's explicit rejection of polygamy for elders. However, the qualifications for elders almost exclusively mirror the expectations for all Christians, including restrictions on drunkenness and instructions to manage one's household well.

Paul answered this problem by allowing widows to remarry (1 Cor. vii. 39. and 1 Tim 5:11–16). Paul says that only one man women older than 60 years can make the list of Christian widows, but that younger widows should remarry to hinder sin.

Some conclude that by requiring leaders of the Church be one woman men, Paul excluded remarried widowers from having influence. This would have been a more strict understanding of monogamy and would have been a new and unusual demand on men.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Baskela(m): 4:03pm On Dec 04, 2017
Toks2008:

Explain that word...condemn and show me a quote where Paul condemned polygamy.

I will advise you to study the scriptures and not take one part in isolation.

If tithing is still relevant despite an old testament thing then please go to sleep and don't come here to condemn polygamy.

Most Christian theologians argue that in
Matthew 19:3–9 and referring to Genesis 2:24 Jesus explicitly states a man should have only one wife:

"Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?"

Polygamists do not dispute that in marriage "two shall be one flesh", they only disagree with the idea that a married man can only be "one flesh" with one woman.

Assuming the man is married, the fact that a man can even be "one flesh" with a harlot apparently does not negate his being "one flesh" with his wife.

"Do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, 'The two will become one flesh.'"
1 Corinthians 6:16

This indicates that the term one flesh refers to a physical, rather than spiritual, union.

So if a man is married, he and his wife are "one flesh." To add another wife would mean that the new wife becomes "one flesh" with the man AND his current wife.

Paul said every woman should have "her own" husband. Putting the phrase "her own" clearly condemns any scenario where a woman would have a shared husband so Paul clearly condemned polygamy.

I advise you study the scriptures yourself too, and explain how Paul saying every woman should have "her own" husband permits polygamy.

That sentence given by Paul is in the English Language and it very clearly condemns polygamy. You should explain how it doesn't.

And if you search the scriptures, you'd find that tithing(compulsory giving) has been abolished under the new covenant.

So just like tithing, polygamy has been abolished too.

Jesus Christ has redeemed you from the curse of the law, you're no longer under it, don't try going back to it by justifying polygamy.

Peace!
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Baskela(m): 4:08pm On Dec 04, 2017
Toks2008:

The funny thing is that even the scripture they all quote from the book of timothy has many interpretations.

Husband of one wife

Many critics of polygamy also point to the Paul epistles that state that church officials should be respectable, above reproach, and the husband of a single wife.

Hermeneutically, the Greek phrase mias gunaikos andra is an unusual Greek construction, capable of being translated in multiple ways, including (but not limited to):
1) "one wife man," (prohibiting plural marriage) or
2) "a wife man" (requiring elders to be married) or
3) "first wife man" (prohibiting divorcés from ordination).

Other interpretations include:

Being faithful in relationships or restrained from chasing many women, so as to be characterized as a one-woman man; having been married only once (even if morally and legally released from the marriage bond by the death of the spouse).

Some argue that definition 1 above implies acceptance of polygamy in the larger Christian culture , explaining Paul's explicit rejection of polygamy for elders. However, the qualifications for elders almost exclusively mirror the expectations for all Christians, including restrictions on drunkenness and instructions to manage one's household well.

Paul answered this problem by allowing widows to remarry (1 Cor. vii. 39. and 1 Tim 5:11–16). Paul says that only one man women older than 60 years can make the list of Christian widows, but that younger widows should remarry to hinder sin.

Some conclude that by requiring leaders of the Church be one woman men, Paul excluded remarried widowers from having influence. This would have been a more strict understanding of monogamy and would have been a new and unusual demand on men.

So you accept what Paul says in 1 Tim but reject what he says in 1st Cor. 7:2 where he says every man should have "his own" wife and every woman "her own" husband.

You can't choose between scriptures, remember all scripture is breathed out by God and is profitable for reproof and for correction.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 4:28pm On Dec 04, 2017
Baskela:

Paul said every woman should have "her own" husband. Putting the phrase "her own" clearly condemns any scenario where a woman would have a shared husband so Paul clearly condemned polygamy.

I advise you study the scriptures yourself too, and explain how Paul saying every woman should have "her own" husband permits polygamy.

That sentence given by Paul is in the English Language and it very clearly condemns polygamy. You should explain how it doesn't.

And if you search the scriptures, you'd find that tithing(compulsory giving) has been abolished under the new covenant.

So just like tithing, polygamy has been abolished too.

Jesus Christ has redeemed you from the curse of the law, you're no longer under it, don't try going back to it by justifying polygamy.

Peace!

Each one of 10 women can have one husband and each one can refer to that man as "her own" husband on a personal note just like a mother and father can independently lay claim to a child as his or her own.

Bro biko make I stop here cos I am done with your philosophical permutation and combination of the scriptures and even worse is your lack of understanding of simple grammertical conjunctions.

I'm not supporting or opposing polygamy neither do I plan to practise it but just setting the tables straight...IT WAS NEVER TAGGED A SIN IN THE SCRIPTURES...so ladies must wake up ro the truth and syop running upandan like termites with the warped mindset of one man one woman.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Baskela(m): 5:15pm On Dec 04, 2017
Toks2008:

Each one of 10 women can have one husband and each one can refer to that man as "her own" husband on a personal note just like a mother and father can independently lay claim to a child as his or her own.

Bro biko make I stop here cos I am done with your philosophical permutation and combination of the scriptures and even worse is your lack of understanding of simple grammertical conjunctions.

I'm not supporting or opposing polygamy neither do I plan to practise it but just setting the tables straight...IT WAS NEVER TAGGED A SIN IN THE SCRIPTURES...so ladies must wake up ro the truth and syop running upandan like termites with the warped mindset of one man one woman.

End of discussion

Bye

Lol this is funny, Paul never imagined a situation where each woman would call or refer to the man "her own" meaning 10 women can call the same man "her own" then how does it become "her own"?

Wouldn't he say "our own" or "their own"?

He was speaking of each woman having or owning her own husband. Meaning, no sharing. How hard is this to understand abeg?

And you do have polygamous tendencies, so go ahead and marry ten if you like but don't twist the scriptures to deceive Christians.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by simsay: 6:15pm On Dec 04, 2017
Baskela:

Lol this is funny, Paul never imagined a situation where each woman would call or refer to the man "her own" meaning 10 women can call the same man "her own" then how does it become "her own"?

He was speaking of each woman having or owning her own husband. Meaning, no sharing. How hard is this to understand abeg?

And you do have polygamous tendencies, so go ahead and marry ten if you like but don't twist the scriptures to deceive Christians.

My main man, you have nailed it over and over again. You have given your possible best. Thanks for standing by the truth. God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 9:08pm On Dec 06, 2017
simsay:

My main man, you have nailed it over and over again. You have given your possible best. Thanks for standing by the truth. God bless you.

You again.

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 9:12pm On Dec 06, 2017
Ba:

Go back to school to study English.

As far as I know GOD'S word is the same yesterday today and forever and there is no part in the bible that should be condemned
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 2:57pm On Feb 21, 2018
Dimples129:
This man and his obsession with women grin

Girls do everything tok says, the opposite way and you can thank me later grin

Suku shaker, abeg save your drama
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 21, 2018
Toks2008:

Go back to school to study English.

As far as I know GOD'S word is the same yesterday today and forever and there is no part in the bible that should be condemned

no part of the bible should be condemned? really?

why don't you practice slavery? as almighty Yahweh directed.
why wear clothes made of different fabrics.

why did burnt offering stop

why do menstruating women go to church these days and do not observe uncleaniless

why do the disabled come into his presence these days

are his words really the same yesterday, today and forever?

if he doesn't change his mind why did Jesus need to die

eh pastor Toks?

1 Like

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 3:18pm On Feb 21, 2018
simsay:

How did he end up? His wives lured him to idolatory, he died young, the kingdom was taken away from his heir.
Abraham married keturah after the initial Sarah, and she gave birth to the current warlords in the middle east.
Some of you here will never go into polygamy but will encourage others, well, we all have our lives to leave and we can make free choices, in Islam andother cultures it's permitted.
But it amazes me why some people want to force polygamy in christianity.
Christianity started with the new testament and the issue of polygamy was addressed as someone said earlier about the criteria for a bishop.
We are to be christ like. Jesus himself said in the beginning it was not so. Who do you follow, Jesus or solomon, Jesus or moses, Jesus or Abraham.
All those other people are humans like you with flaws and mistakes. Jesus is the way, the truth and life.
Great bible scholars from the days of Paul till this year 2017 has kicked against polygamy. Hardly do you find any bbible believing church doing such. Biko, where did you get your doctrine from.

Cry me an ocean my lady...your choice.

I just hate it when people twist the truth.

Go anywhere and quote me..
POLYGAMY IS NOT A SIN.

It may be complex,stressful,twisted or whatever name you call it but don't dare give it your own definition that can't be substantiated from the scriptures.

Ladies hate polygamy and that is understandable but that does not make it sinful.
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by mikejj(m): 3:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
iamJ:
so a coward is not insecure? i love girls with attitude, drama queens are my food but u have to be fine and rich to make me enjoy it

stop saying things based on ur feelings u knw nothing, where have u been to?

just sidom click create thread type nonsense, some people just like having fun, causing drama and being insulted is somtin i enjoy a girl that can take insults and not get offended catches my eyes, is she insure because she likes being very direct? oga stop its not by force to do thread, go and make books, let people burn it

if the op knw anything, he will have left nairaland since, since 2008 he is still doing olodo threads begging for front page without being paid

baba leave the messenger and face the message..the weather is too hot go baaff abeg
Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Daeylar(f): 3:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
This is amazing,

simsay:
You need to understand that as there are different cultures and traditions, so do their interpretations to relationships and marriages differ.
Some cultural practices of marriage is wrong like marriage conducted between children as we have in India or marriage to minors as we have in some religion. For such people, the world is putting them under intense pressure to change their culture.
There is nothing as such as static culture. The Africa we have today is not the same as the precolonial era, so as the interpretation to relashionships
Moslem men are allowed to marry as many as 4women, if a woman decides to live with that, that is her choice and everyone should be happy for her.
In christianity, it's one man and one wife, the standard will never change. If you are a Christian man, you must never haveconcubines or 2 wives, that is the standard. Of course there are Christian men who cheat and there are lots of men who remain faithful to their wives, and [b] yes, women are allowed to demand faithfulness from their men.
A man whose his wife cheat on has the choice to stay in the marriage or leave. A woman who makes the same choice should be have her choice respected. Not everyone can deal with a cheating partner and must know that.

Now, there is nothing as such as cheating is in a man's DNA. The truth is cheating is in everyone's DNA. Everyone has the capability to cheat. There are women who also cheat on faithful men. The difference between a cheating partner and a non cheating partner is a word and that word is selfcontrol.
Now, more girls than boys are taught self control from childhood, such that it becomes part of them more than their male counterparts.
Things are so bad with our men such that we hear cases of men sexually harassing their own children, househelp, even babies

We all need to step back a little and train our men how to have self control instead of trying to configure women to accepting a cheating husband.

We now leave in a difficult world were baby girls can't be left in the hand of their fathers, uncle,brothers, friends. Don't u see its a serous problem.

We need teach our men, women inclusive of how to respect other people's privacy more importantly self control. The lack of self control as I said earlier is what leads to cheating and don't forget, everyone is capable of cheating.

And please don't bring up, this is Africa rhymes. There is no static culture, if we teach our children, teenagers and even adults right, we will have a better future.[/b]

Re: When You Choose To Be A Drama Queen by Toks2008(m): 3:34pm On Feb 21, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

no part of the bible should be condemned? really?

why don't you practice slavery? as almighty Yahweh directed.
why wear clothes made of different fabrics.

why did burnt offering stop

why do menstruating women go to church these days and do not observe uncleaniless

why do the disabled come into his presence these days

are his words really the same yesterday, today and forever?

if he doesn't change his mind why did Jesus need to die

eh pastor Toks?

Incase you don't know,some of those old testament doctrines are still in practise..

Jesus said I have not come to abolish but to fulfill the laws.

I owe no one an apology for speaking my opinion from the light of the scriptures.

If ladies like let them use emotions and sentiments to change the scriptures...their choice.

They say because they don't preach it 8n church so that automatically makes it a sin...who will preach such in a church where women make up over 50% of the congregation number.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Married Woman Dies During Intimacy With Married Lover / Upload Your Boo Pics Lets See Who Got It Natural / 3 SECRETS of Confidence, Sex, and Wealth No One Wants Men to Know (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.