Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,350 members, 7,819,250 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Fears Mount Over Aganga - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fears Mount Over Aganga (4813 Views)

GEJ's Achievements: Aganga, Iweala, Nebo, Adesina & Madueke Give Accounts / Photos Of President Jonathan Praying At Mount Carmel on Sunday / Concerns Mount Over Unremitted $50bn, Crude Oil Swaps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by biina: 9:36am On Apr 03, 2010
KnowAll:

I guess you are one of those LAZY PDP card members from Lagos State that cannot even deliver their wards in a general election, and yet want to benefit from the largasse of the PDP, people like Koro should be touting around lagos trying to lure voters to thier hold. But silly Yaradua rewarded a man that cannot deliver his ward with an abassadorial post.

If AC where the goverment at the center or the FG,  the imposition of Aganga would not have being possible. Look PDP in Lagos State has no leg to stand they have not delivered and so should not be rewarded. Aganga stays,  and u lazy card holders get your butts of the ground and start working the streets of lagos and win some votes for PDP otherwise nothing for you lot.

Whats with all the extraneous references. Seems you are intent on diverting the topic to other issues you have gripes with.

Its a simple question: Should someone be appointed a minister representing a state that he is not an indigene of - Yes or No? undecided
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 03, 2010
Now I get it. I no want another Jos crisis abeg!!! Settlers know your level oooo. This is Lagos and it's not a no man's land idiots. Make una watch am oooo. Obanikoro is far from an option. That guy is 2face like Idibia. Most qualified candidate for the job now!! And only Lagosians represent Lagos please. Sometimes Liberalism sucks.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by KnowAll(m): 9:53am On Apr 03, 2010
Its a simple question: Should someone be appointed a minister representing a state that he is not an indigene of - Yes or No? Undecided

The Answer is - Yes

A PDP led FG can appoint whoever it deems fit to any position as a representative of lagos state, if the said appointee claims to be from that state,  as far as the FG is concerened the party is non existant in that state and any Nigerian who claims to be from that state would do for the time being.

The selection was not down to a AC led administration, but to a non existant PDP, all of a sudden PDP Lagos Chapter has a voice when it comes to come and chop, but election time they disappear into the thin air.

It is within the realm of possibility for Dangote to be appointed as a business Czar reprensting PDP from lagos state, having traded in that city for well over 30 years.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by biina: 10:25am On Apr 03, 2010
KnowAll:

Its a simple question: Should someone be appointed a minister representing a state that he is not an indigene of - Yes or No? Undecided

The Answer is - Yes

A PDP led FG can appoint whoever it deems fit to any position as a representative of lagos state, if the said appointee claims to be from that state,  as far as the FG is concerened the party is non existant in that state and any Nigerian who claims to be from that state would do for the time being.

The selection was not down to a AC led administration, but to a non existant PDP, all of a sudden PDP Lagos Chapter has a voice when it comes to come and chop, but election time they disappear into the thin air.

It is within the realm of possibility for Dangote to be appointed as a business Czar reprensting PDP from lagos state, having traded in that city for well over 30 years.

While you are entitled to your opinion (which I disagree with), your reasoning is flawed.

1. The governorship of a state should in no way dictate their representation at the FG level, else if we dont have a dominant party, we would have a handful of states ruling the entire nation
2. It is irresponsible to advise that the FG take the word of the individual as sufficient to prove citizenship.
3. The requirement to claim citizenship is stated in the constitution and that is what should be applicable.
4. Dangote can only represent lagos to the extent the laws and constitution permits it.

While you may have your grouse with the Lagos state chapter of the PDP, that is irrelevant to the topic at hand. The reason for having federal character in the constitution is to protect the interest of all. Having anyone be able to represent anywhere he so desires will make the FC provision meaningless. Such a precedent should not be set (particularly not by southerners) cos we will be the one crying foul when the north abuses it to their advantage

I have nothing against Aganga being a minister, as long as he is appointed to the portfolio he is qualified for (I dont get how you screen ministers without a portfolio unless their qualification and competence are irrelevant), nor do I have any particular issue with a state not being represented as long as the post is filled with credible people that can do the job., but I do have an issue with changing the rules just to get someone into the office. There are rules and everyone should play by them. 

No one should represent a state that he is not an indigene of.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by felele(m): 10:36am On Apr 03, 2010
Biina, I have to say that I have grudging respect for you, because even though we disagree on one or two issues, it has always been on the issues and nothing more.

This idea that someone can be imposed on a state smacks of military fiat. This is supposed to be a democracy, where REPRESENTATION is the main principle. I cannot be represented by an outsider at the federal level.

Perhaps one day, the president might see fit to appoint Mike Adenuga into a federal position on Abuja or Lagos' slot.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Katsumoto: 10:38am On Apr 03, 2010
Whether you were born in Lagos and have lived there all your life or you have significant business interests in Lagos is not sufficient to become an indigene. There were indigenous families in Lagos before the British and everybody else arrived. Why should those who settled in Lagos be entitled to two states of origin and Lagos indigenes be entitled to none? It is illogical and unfair. Many 'Lagosians' return to their states of origin as soon as they are offered some position or opportunity there; why don't they turn it down on the basis that they are now Lagosians? Would Aganga have turned down the position if it were offered on the slot of Edo state?

Please stop this 'Lagos is no man's land' nonsense. Lagos belongs to the indigenes of Lagos. For those that say that Lagos was developed with federal money, the only part of Lagos developed by the federal government was Lagos Island. The other parts of Lagos such as Ikeja, Shomolu, Surulere, Mushin, Ilupeju, etc were part of the Western region before they were merged with Lagos Island to form Lagos State by Gowon in 1967. As long as you can still trace your way to your father's village, then you have no rights to any positions that are available to the indigenous people of Lagos.
By the way, I am not from Lagos but I was born and bred in Lagos. Mo kin se omo ale, mo mo ile baba mi.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by KnowAll(m): 10:58am On Apr 03, 2010
While you are entitled to your opinion (which I disagree with), your reasoning is flawed.

1. The governorship of a state should in no way dictate their representation at the FG level, else if we dont have a dominant party, we would have a handful of states ruling the entire nation
2. It is irresponsible to advise that the FG take the word of the individual as sufficient to prove citizenship.
3. The requirement to claim citizenship is stated in the constitution and that is what should be applicable.
4. Dangote can only represent lagos to the extent the laws and constitution permits it.

While you may have your grouse with the Lagos state chapter of the PDP, that is irrelevant to the topic at hand. The reason for having federal character in the constitution is to protect the interest of all. Having anyone be able to represent anywhere he so desires will make the FC provision meaningless. Such a precedent should not be set (particularly not by southerners) cos we will be the one crying foul when the north abuses it to their advantage
I have nothing against Aganga being a minister, as long as he is appointed to the portfolio he is qualified for (I dont get how you screen ministers without a portfolio unless their qualification and competence are irrelevant), nor do I have any particular issue with a state not being represented as long as the post is filled with credible people that can do the job., but I do have an issue with changing the rules just to get someone into the office. There are rules and everyone should play by them.

No one should represent a state that he is not an indigene of.

We practise a Party politics democracy and not a zero party democracy where allegience to indigeneship is the rule. In a party politics democracy loyalty to the party is the alpha and omega. Even if u come from planet zult and u claim to be a staunch PDP follower and sympathiser then you are half way there, Aganga has through his connections with Ribadu and El-Rufai sealed his own nomination as the PDP reps for Lagos State by dining and mixing with the right people. Indigeneship has no role to play especially in a party which has had a non existant status in Lagos state.

The party needs new credible heavy weights and intellectuals after people like Bode George has brought it into disrepute. The man was born in Lagos, he speaks yoruba as a mother tongue what else do u want. Fashola did his Uni in Benin does that make him a lesser lagosian, what kind of warp thinking is that. undecided

Those of u arguing aganst Aganga, I sense are the same people always urging and arguing in favour of Fashola, a word of advise to your thick skulls, mind your own business and let the PDP Lagos Chapter be. You cannot be with Fashola and at the same time putting your bloody noses in PDP Lagos State's business. You are war mongers, ethnic mongers, not any different from the beroms who are claiming ancestral ownership to lands several tribes in Nigeria has settled on for 100's  of years.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by KnowAll(m): 11:29am On Apr 03, 2010
Please stop this 'Lagos is no man's land' nonsense. Lagos belongs to the indigenes of Lagos. For those that say that Lagos was developed with federal money, the only part of Lagos developed by the federal government was Lagos Island. The [b]other parts of Lagos such as Ikeja, Shomolu, Surulere, Mushin, Ilupeju, etc were part of the Western region before they were merged with L[/b]agos Island to form Lagos State by Gowon in 1967. As long as you can still trace your way to your father's village, then you have no rights to any positions that are available to the indigenous people of Lagos.
By the way, I am not from Lagos but I was born and bred in Lagos. Mo kin se omo ale, mo mo ile baba mi.

And Aganga was part of that western state up to 1963. Part of his commonwealth was used to develop lagos state, he was born there, he can speak the lingo fluently, so why exclude him. AC propanganda.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by felele(m): 3:25pm On Apr 03, 2010
KnowAll:

Please stop this 'Lagos is no man's land' nonsense. Lagos belongs to the indigenes of Lagos. For those that say that Lagos was developed with federal money, the only part of Lagos developed by the federal government was Lagos Island. The [b]other parts of Lagos such as Ikeja, Shomolu, Surulere, Mushin, Ilupeju, etc were part of the Western region before they were merged with L[/b]agos Island to form Lagos State by Gowon in 1967. As long as you can still trace your way to your father's village, then you have no rights to any positions that are available to the indigenous people of Lagos.

And Aganga was part of that western state up to 1963. Part of his commonwealth was used to develop lagos state, he was born there, he can speak the lingo fluently, so why exclude him. AC propanganda.

What commonwealth exactly was that? He is not an indigene, full stop! I as a Lagosian, even though I have distant roots, through my paternal great great grandmother, in Ogun State, cannot go back there to claim any sort of rights, as my people settled Ikorodu (in yoruba, awa la te e do), and are part of the custodians of the culture and heritage of that town. The achievements of my forebears and myself in the area of development without government "assistance" are as yet unmatched in the history of Nigeria.

It is somewhat trite that Katsumoto should refer to Ikeja, Shomolu, Ilupeju and other parts of the mainland as part of the Western Region. What you might not know is that the entire Ikorodu Road axis, from Ikorodu to Yaba was opened up DIRECTLY by indigenes of Ikorodu and other Ijebus, who contributed their hard earned money to construct what we now know as Ikorodu road, when the colonialists told them point blank that they were not here to develop our country, following a boat mishap that killed over 200 Ikorodu and other Ijebu businessmen and women, while crossing to Ebute Ero from Ebute Ipakodo on "Oko Owolowo" in the 1940s.

That is a bit of History that your likes and the likes of Aganga do not know, are not privy to and will never understand about Lagos State and its indigenous peoples. We are self-starters, always have been, always will be, and NEVER needed the help of any government to develop us to where we feel we need to be. If anything, it has been interference from incompetent outsiders like Tinubu (we will soon start construction of coastal road and 4th mainland bridge, and btw, the federal government withholding less than 5% of the total revenue accruable to Lagos state is responsible for the lack of development for eight solid years) and  Oyinlola (no bitumen) that has actually contributed to our under-development.

Aganga is not a Lagosian, and Lagos is not presently represented in the Executive Council of the Federation, a clear breach of Section 147(3) of the constitution. If you guys are saying we are not part of Nigeria, you better start packing your bags.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by KnowAll(m): 3:51pm On Apr 03, 2010
What commonwealth exactly was that?Huh He is not an indigene, full stop! I as a Lagosian, even though I have distant roots, through my paternal great great grandmother, in Ogun State, cannot go back there to claim any sort of rights, as my people settled Ikorodu (in yoruba, awa la te e do), and are part of the custodians of the culture and heritage of that town. The achievements of my forebears and myself in the area of development without government "assistance" are as yet unmatched in the history of Nigeria.

It is somewhat trite that Katsumoto should refer to Ikeja, Shomolu, Ilupeju and other parts of the mainland as part of the Western Region. What you might not know is that the entire Ikorodu Road axis, from Ikorodu to Yaba was opened up DIRECTLY by indigenes of Ikorodu and other Ijebus, who contributed their hard earned money to construct what we now know as Ikorodu road, when the colonialists told them point blank that they were not here to develop our country, following a boat mishap that killed over 200 Ikorodu and other Ijebu businessmen and women, while crossing to Ebute Ero from Ebute Ipakodo on "Oko Owolowo" in the 1940s.

That is a bit of History that your likes and the likes of Aganga do not know, are not privy to and will never understand about Lagos State and its indigenous peoples. We are self-starters, always have been, always will be, and NEVER needed the help of any government to develop us to where we feel we need to be. If anything, it has been interference from incompetent outsiders like Tinubu (we will soon start construction of coastal road and 4th mainland bridge, and btw, the federal government withholding less than 5% of the total revenue accruable to Lagos state is responsible for the lack of development for eight solid years) and  Oyinlola (no bitumen) that has actually contributed to our under-development.

Aganga is not a Lagosian, and Lagos is not presently represented in the Executive Council of the Federation, a clear breach of Section 147(3) of the constitution. If you guys are saying we are not part of Nigeria, you better start packing your bags.

Political Parties are gentlemen's club and this club have recognised that Aganga was not only born and bred in Lagos, he is a true son of the soil who would be a dignifying asset  to lagos state PDP in the years to come. They would be proud of him and appreciate his unravelling. The PDP lagos charter does not want gate crashers and urchins like you poking their dirty noses in their business. If u feel aggrevied that Lagos is not represented at the Federal Level make efforts to make PDP the party of choice in less than 14 months from now otherwise shut-up, u can't have your cake and eat it Mister. undecided

Ma gbe keke eloh awa o ba e sere mo - this club is a closed club.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Nobody: 5:06pm On Apr 03, 2010
has anyone verified Aganga's antecedents yet?

-where is his mother from?

-if he really is from Edo state, then is he a first, second or third generation immigrant to lagos?

-initially, some news reports said he was from Ekiti. Is this true.

-why should Lagos always the the only state in Nigeria that tries to follow due process? Why is lagos the only state "belonging to all Nigerians". Are the other states located in outer space, the sahara desert and atlantic ocean, or why cant they also be more accommodating like lagos. This is the 21st century. Una no dey shame?

-why cant Jonathan appoint ministers for other states whose forefathers also migrated to those places from somewhere else.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by KnowAll(m): 5:36pm On Apr 03, 2010
has anyone verified Aganga's antecedents yet? Huh

-where is his mother from?

-if he really is from Edo state, then is he a first, second or third generation immigrant to lagos?

-initially, some news reports said he was from Ekiti. Is this true.

-why should Lagos always the the only state in Nigeria that tries to follow due process? Why is lagos the only state "belonging to all Nigerians". Are the other states located in outer space, the sahara desert and atlantic ocean, or why cant they also be more accommodating like lagos. This is the 21st century. Una no dey shame?

-why cant Jonathan appoint ministers for other states whose forefathers also migrated to those places from somewhere else.

Lagos State took 75% of Nigerian's income between 1967 and 1992, whilst taking this income Nigerians from the four corners of Nigeria settled in Lagos doing their own quota in building Lagos. To now exclude the sons and daughters of these Nigerians whose sweat and blood built Lagos is not only unjust but also unwarranted. Especially those who have acquired the Yoruba language as the only language and the mother tongue in the household. Those who can speak the languages of where they came from can easily claim those places but those that speak only Yoruba will become stateless, how can u be a Nigerian and be stateless. Your Father's state would not see u as part of them so would the state were u are born. In other states this pecularity is not common they can be seen as isolated cases when compared with what obtains in lagos. After all the Abacha's are Kanuri stock but always claim Kano State, and his son is going to run for the Governorship of Kano State.

That is why people like
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 03, 2010
^^ can you prove lagos state took 75% of Nigeria's income between 1965 and 1992.

while you're at it, go and find out what happened to your own state's allocation for that period.

The very same thing is happening now- Fashola is doing concrete things while most other states are twiddling their thumbs. Later now some people will start claiming Lagos took 80% of Nigeria's income around this current time and that's the reason why the state got developed.

Nigerians from the four corners of Nigeria settled in Lagos doing their own quota in building Lagos

Lagos has more slums than any other part of the country- is that your idea of building lagos?

Those who can speak the languages of where they came from can easily claim those places but those that speak only Yoruba will become stateless, how can u be a Nigerian and be stateless. Your Father's state would not see u as part of them so would the state were u are born

BIG LIE

most people still claim their hometowns even if they werent raised there.

Even people born abroad and who have been to Nigeria less than five times still claim their parent's (father's) home state, so what are you trying to prove here?
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by KnowAll(m): 5:49pm On Apr 03, 2010
while you're at it, go and find out what happened to your own state's allocation for that period.

I dont have to prove it, the evidence is there for all to see. Lagos was both the Capital of Lagos State and the Federal govement. Assuming u have 18 states in the country and u give every state N0.5 million Naira making a total spend of N9 million, lagos spent 1/2 of the FG'S ALLOACATION together with that of lagos that is 6.5 million to lagos alone while the rest of the country share reminder. U dont have to be a mathematician to fathom that simple Arithmetric.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Nobody: 5:55pm On Apr 03, 2010
^^ are you saying lagos did not generate any income by itself during this time frame you mentioned?

Are you aware lagos has always been a financial center even before becoming the capital of Nigeria?

and yes, check what your state did with it's own allocation during that period.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Katsumoto: 5:56pm On Apr 03, 2010
felele:

What commonwealth exactly was that? He is not an indigene, full stop! I as a Lagosian, even though I have distant roots, through my paternal great great grandmother, in Ogun State, cannot go back there to claim any sort of rights, as my people settled Ikorodu (in yoruba, awa la te e do), and are part of the custodians of the culture and heritage of that town. The achievements of my forebears and myself in the area of development without government "assistance" are as yet unmatched in the history of Nigeria.

My point was directed at those who sing the usual chorus of Lagos was developed by the Federal Government. I was merely attempting to inform them that the only part of Lagos developed by the Federal Government was Lagos Island. The remaining parts of Lagos was developed firstly, by the Western Government and Lagos indigenes and then secondly. by the Lagos State Government from 1967 and to some extent, commercial bodies. The development by commercial bodies should not however, be exaggerated.

I don't know why you used the expression trite. Those parts were indeed part of the Western Region until 1967.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Katsumoto: 6:03pm On Apr 03, 2010
KnowAll:

I dont have to prove it, the evidence is there for all to see. Lagos was both the Capital of Lagos State and the Federal govement. Assuming u have 18 states in the country and u give every state N0.5 million Naira making a total spend of N9 million, lagos spent 1/2 of the FG'S ALLOACATION together with that of lagos that is 6.5 million to lagos alone while the rest of the country share reminder. U dont have to be a mathematician to fathom that simple Arithmetric.

You are not making sense.
Why are you segregating Lagos (I assume you mean Lagos Island) from the rest of Lagos State? Are the indigenes of Lagos Island not indigenes of Lagos State like the indigenes of other areas such as Ikeja, Epe, Ikorodu?

Stop picking sums from the air; argue with facts. tpia asked you for the figures to back your argument. You are yet to do that, instead you are quoting fictitious sums.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by sjeezy8: 6:20pm On Apr 03, 2010
what is there still argument for?
aganga is indigenous Lagosian name, any person who hasnt heard of the aganga-williams family is NOT A LAGOSIAN. There was an aganga-williams who ran for gov of Lagos.

Lagos doesnt belong to everyone- immigrants lived on Lagos island which was the capital NOT Lagos state- and every where in Lagos state was part of the old west (except the lagos island).

"Lagos State was created on May 27, 1967 by virtue of State (Creation and Transitional Provisions) Decree No. 14 of 1967, which restructured Nigeria’s Federation into 12 States. However, with the creation of the Federal Capital Territory of Abuja in 1976, Lagos Island ceased to be the capital of the State which was moved to Ikeja. Equally, with the formal relocation of the seat of the Federal Government to Abuja on 12th December, 1991, Lagos ceased to be Nigeria’s political capital."

Lagos island was the capital of Nigeria, Ikeja was/still is the capital of Lagos state. When they changed the capital of Nigeria to abuja Lagos island became part of Lagos state. One of the reasons they changed it was because a capital of a country cant serve a a state capital either. which is why abuja is not a state.

do your history folks

Tinubu, fashola and (yoruba muslims) arent from Lagos island, all the lagosian immigrants williams, cole, de sousa,pedro are considered from Lagos Island. part of the reason why none have become govenors - because all the actually Lagos state indignes and not settlers on Lagos island, are yoruba muslims.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by KnowAll(m): 6:38pm On Apr 03, 2010
Stop picking sums from the air; argue with facts. tpia asked you for the figures to back your argument. You are yet to do that, instead you are quoting fictitious sums.

It would be stu*p*d and nonsensical to start quoting figures from the air when their is standard trend which is prevalent in the west african coast line.

There is no country in the whole sub-region that has a city which is more developed than the capital of that state. Lagos like every other city on the coast buck this trend irrevocably why should I now embark on a exercise in futlity to debunk a trend that is as clear as day light. Even the blind men in Lagos would know this city has gotten good bite in the nIgerian pie.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by KnowAll(m): 6:45pm On Apr 03, 2010
are you saying lagos did not generate any income by itself during this time frame you mentioned?

Are you aware lagos has always been a financial center even before becoming the capital of Nigeria? Huh

and yes, check what your state did with it's own allocation during that period.

How old are u, asking a question on internally generated revenue, this is a new phonemenon that was pursued with reknewed vigour only when Tinubu was cash strapped otherwise Lagos State would have continue in the same old way of doing things waiting for the FG alloweee.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by felele(m): 11:28pm On Apr 03, 2010
Katsumoto:

My point was directed at those who sing the usual chorus of Lagos was developed by the Federal Government. I was merely attempting to inform them that the only part of Lagos developed by the Federal Government was Lagos Island. The remaining parts of Lagos was developed firstly, by the Western Government and Lagos indigenes and then secondly. by the Lagos State Government from 1967 and to some extent, commercial bodies. The development by commercial bodies should not however, be exaggerated.

I don't know why you used the expression trite. Those parts were indeed part of the Western Region until 1967.

Sorry, I meant to use the word "apt". We are actually on the same page on this. You are indeed right that only Lagos Island (even at that, only some parts thereof), was developed by the Federal Government. They cannot claim to have developed Idumagbo Avenue, Reclamation road, Enu Owa, Oroyinyin, Oko Awo and many such others, yet these are all on the same Lagos Island claimed to have been developed by the Federal Government.

Lagos has indigenes, and Aganga is not one of us. Jonathan has breached the constitution.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Major Hamza Al- Mustapha Discharged And Acquitted. / Tinubu's Billion Naira Property / APC educates Jonathan: You Won't Be The First President To Resign during War

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.