Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Fears Mount Over Aganga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fears Mount Over Aganga (4805 Views)

GEJ's Achievements: Aganga, Iweala, Nebo, Adesina & Madueke Give Accounts / Photos Of President Jonathan Praying At Mount Carmel on Sunday / Concerns Mount Over Unremitted $50bn, Crude Oil Swaps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fears Mount Over Aganga by mbulela: 5:54am On Mar 28, 2010
•Agusto scenario may play out
By Yusuph Olaniyonu, 03.28.2010

There are fears that the nomination of Mr. Olusegun Olutoyin Aganga, managing director of London-based investment bank, Goldman Sachs as minister by Acting President Goodluck Jonathan may run into stormy waters.
The problem with Aganga’s nomination is the stiff opposition mounted to his candidacy by a group consisting of members of Lagos State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
The group is protesting that Aganga is not an indigene of Lagos State and therefore should not be allowed to usurp the slot meant for the state.

The group opposed to Aganga’s nomination is hoping to ambush the investment banker during the screening of the 33 ministerial nominees which would commence in the Senate Chambers tomorrow.
The anti-Aganga group operating under the aegis of Lagos State Indigenes Association in a newspaper advertorial yesterday contended that Aganga is not from Lagos State and that his nomination contravenes Section 147(3) of the 1999 constitution.

“Our investigation has revealed that he (Aganga) is from Sabongida Ora of Etsako Local Government Area of Edo State and it will be highly insensitive to nominate an outsider to represent the interest of Lagos State in the Federal Executive Council,” the group stated in the advertorial signed by Chief M.A. Akintoye and Barrister F.A.Macaulay.

However, THISDAY checks reveal that Aganga was born in Lagos, he schooled in Lagos and lived in Lagos before travelling out of the country but he has his root in the old mid-west region.
As a result of his wide experience and knowledge, his candidacy is said to enjoy the support of the three senators from Lagos State, Olorunnimbe Mamora, Ganiyu Solomon and Muniru Muse.
The support of the senators from the state the ministerial nominee is representing is crucial during the screening, according to senate rules.

The support for Aganga by the three senators from Lagos State who are members of the Action Congress (AC) is set to rekindle the 2007 scenario in which they supported another technocrat, Mr. Bode Augusto nominated to represent Lagos State in the cabinet. Agusto, however, faced stiff opposition by the PDP.
The Lagos PDP members then colluded with members of the PDP Senate caucus from the north to mobilise votes against Agusto’s nomination. The Northern senators collaborated with the Lagos PDP members because the former feared that if Agusto was cleared, he would be beat their man, Dr. Shamsudeen Usman to the post of Minister of Finance.

However, with Aganga, the scenario is a bit different. The calculation in the presidency is that if Aganga is not cleared, then former Minister of State, Finance, Remi Babalola may head the finance ministry.
AC senators at the weekend resolved to support Aganga’s candidacy because of his wealth of experience in international finance. His candidacy may also have enjoyed the support of AC because two of the senators from Lagos State have their ancestry outside the state.

A friend of the investment banker yesterday told THISDAY on phone that Aganga is “ready, able and willing to serve his country to the best of his ability and to use his international connection for the benefit of Nigeria, but he is not desperate for the job and would not be caught in the web of politics.”
The senators from Lagos State have also sent clear warning signals to PDP leaders that if they frustrate Aganga’s nomination, then they would oppose any other nominees from the state.
As at yesterday when 22 of the 33 ministerial nominees presented themselves for security screening by the state security service (SSS), Aganga was not among them.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by lannre(m): 6:07am On Mar 28, 2010
"he is not desperate for the job and would not be caught in the web of politics.” I love this part and pray that if he was eventually cleared the web of politics will not be an interference in discharging is duty professionally . And if he did not scale through,May God sower more of HIS Unending mercy on him. We dont want desperate representative like Atiku
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Kobojunkie: 6:13am On Mar 28, 2010
lannre:

"he is not desperate for the job and would not be caught in the web of politics.” I love this part and pray that if he was eventually cleared the web of politics will not be an interference in discharging is duty professionally . And if he did not scale through,May God sower more of HIS Unending mercy on him. We dont want desperate representative like Atiku

On the contrary, I believe what we need are desperate individuals; individuals desperate for change and willing to stand and fight to get in to change things. I am not certain of the particular man's personality but if he does not have what it takes to fight to get the work done, then I am afraid we need not push for him to get the seat. I say this because I have seen how we flippantly excuse the many blunders of those we chooses as 'HEROES' in all this. A good example is Dora Akunyili. Yes, she may have done good( according to what I heard) at NAFDAC. As minister, she failed BUT people are so willing to turn a blind eye to the fact that she just did a very bad job as minister, and are willing to allow her continue to another leadership post when it is all too apparent that she is not cut out as one of those to bring change to Nigerian politics.Either that or she is just another politrickian.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by lannre(m): 6:24am On Mar 28, 2010
I dont mean that part of change as you put it, when someone is desperate for a post in Nigeria you know what it means. That is why I mentioned Atiku as a reference , or do you think Atiku is desperate for a change ? The word desperate always has dangerous ends, Only in few people that you will find a Genuine desperate move. I am in support of your comment on Dora too, er rating at the Ministry of information was poor, the GSM fees she promised to bring down the tariff could not be achieved, the shameful act of re-branding what should be branded by the Government actions of providing basic needs of life.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Kobojunkie: 6:30am On Mar 28, 2010
I would not fault a candidate for pushing agressively to get a post in government.I realize how hard it is to get in when the "Old ones" have already been paid off by other candidates. However, I will say that I am not for candidates cutting corners, meeting with the devil behind doors and making illicit deals to get themselves in.

I just think for anyone to really want to cause change, one has to be agressive and determined. These are some of the qualities of a good leader, in my opinion, and we need to see folks who are not just speaking of change but aggressive enough to push to get into positions where their skillset are needed.

I do realize your point and I agree.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Nobody: 9:17am On Mar 28, 2010
Kobojunkie:

On the contrary, I believe what we need are desperate individuals; individuals desperate for change and willing to stand and fight to get in to change things. I am not certain of the particular man's personality but if he does not have what it takes to fight to get the work done, then I am afraid we need not push for him to get the seat. I say this because I have seen how we flippantly excuse the many blunders of those we chooses as 'HEROES' in all this. A good example is Dora Akunyili. Yes, she may have done good( according to what I heard) at NAFDAC. As minister, she failed BUT people are so willing to turn a blind eye to the fact that she just did a very bad job as minister, and are willing to allow her continue to another leadership post when it is all too apparent that she is not cut out as one of those to bring change to Nigerian politics.Either that or she is just another politrickian.
With due respect, I disagree with this, even as I like your fine analysis.

By not being desperate here, it is obvious that what the man is avoiding is getting enmeshed in the dirty political storm just because he wants to serve his fatherland. This will surely do more harm than good to his personality as it almost did to Bode Agusto, who in a bid not to give in to politics, was labelled 'arrogant', even as everybody acknowledged his brilliance. Like Sanusi floored those Senators the other day, he may also use his brilliance to muscle them aside, but if that doesn't work(and it hardly works with PDP people) I don't know of any decent 'desperative' means he can use to get the nod of the Senators, if not going dirty himself.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by xterra2(m): 11:16am On Mar 28, 2010
Since he is a technocrat working in London,a good diasporian and an expert
He wont allow himself to be dragged into web of politics,he has a good reputation and an excellent job he would dare risk that for a job that he may get sacked anytime or that will damage his reputation or worse still,cause wahala for him
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Kobojunkie: 3:09pm On Mar 28, 2010
Jarus:

With due respect, I disagree with this, even as I like your fine analysis.

By not being desperate here, it is obvious that what the man is avoiding is getting enmeshed in the dirty political storm just because he wants to serve his fatherland.

What man? I was not referring to this particular man's case as I do not yet know what the deal is with his nomination? I was speaking in general of the sort of people we need, a quality in the people that we need.

Jarus:

This will surely do more harm than good to his personality as it almost did to Bode Agusto, who in a bid not to give in to politics, was labelled 'arrogant', even as everybody acknowledged his brilliance. Like Sanusi floored those Senators the other day, he may also use his brilliance to muscle them aside, but if that doesn't work(and it hardly works with PDP people) I don't know of any decent 'desperative' means he can use to get the nod of the Senators, if not going dirty himself.

Did Bode Agusto get the same treatment Sanusi did from the same Senators? We are, at the end of the day, speaking of a group of sometimes ethnically-racist/biased individuals masquerading as leaders.  Seriously, I cannot speak well of anything the senate does, as I have serious issues with it.

If you read my post again, you will understand that I was not referring to measures taken to get into office here, but more about the passion behind the push to get in. For instance, I was told some months ago of another Nigerian who was desperate for change in Nigeria, that he was willing to get into the police force on the grounds level( after studying for so many years abroad), work about 13 years in the force until he gets himself to a leadership role from where he can make some real changes. That would be someone whom I consider desperate for change. That is someone who I would say has a real passion to change things in that country.

If this man or anyone else does not exhibit that kind of zeal, then I see no reason why we should yet again try to create for ourselves another hero in him.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by ikeyman00(m): 4:11pm On Mar 28, 2010
@@@@@@@@@@@

interesting!!!
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by marvix(m): 5:37pm On Mar 28, 2010
Quote from kobojunkie

While I agree with d first half of ur post and don't c y u hav to edit because of lanre, if u want to serve d nation u shld be ready to fight for dat oportunity, but on Dora I disagree wit u. Dora performed on her job she did her best and she also fought to get to dat office.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by EzeUche(m): 5:46pm On Mar 28, 2010
Is he not Yoruba? These people should hush. I have no problem with this man being put in charge of this. He has the best credentials. There is no pleasing some people. Even if the person is from your ethnic group, people still get angry.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by prettyG: 5:52pm On Mar 28, 2010
what does it matter where his forefathers came from if he can do a good job? have the people there been representing the interests of their 'regions of origin'? all this archaic thinking is drawing us back.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by ojimboIV: 6:12pm On Mar 28, 2010
prettyG:

what does it matter where his forefathers came from if he can do a good job? have the people there been representing the interests of their 'regions of origin'? all this archaic thinking is drawing us back.

tell them.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by loma(m): 7:22pm On Mar 28, 2010
Just goes to show why we never make progress. Just imagine, if Obama had been in Nigeria, he wouldnt have even gotten elected because his father is from a different state/country?  Such shortsightedness!

Very simple solution- Let Jonathan appoint him as a Minister -without attaching any state to him.

I know Segun Aganga somewhat though- and I am not sure if he should even accept the nomination-bearing in mind the ministers have only a few months to work before the next election.

He is a very sound guy, who is also very concerned about Nigeria, and has done a lot to mould young leaders through the NLI.  http://nli-global.org/

Just listen to him talk on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2xgZ8Bu5co&feature=player_embedded

To understand his take on Nigeia's issues and development; read some excerpts from his interview below; http://nli-global.org/wp-content/uploads/NLI_Newsletter_pdf.pdf
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by loma(m): 7:33pm On Mar 28, 2010
;d
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by loma(m): 7:36pm On Mar 28, 2010
:d
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by loma(m): 7:37pm On Mar 28, 2010
wink
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by DrKitaun(m): 7:38pm On Mar 28, 2010
What has NLI and its formation got to do with the thread?
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by loma(m): 7:39pm On Mar 28, 2010
smiley
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by loma(m): 7:43pm On Mar 28, 2010
:p
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by biina: 7:47pm On Mar 28, 2010
EzeUche:

Is he not Yoruba? These people should hush. I have no problem with this man being put in charge of this. He has the best credentials. There is no pleasing some people. Even if the person is from your ethnic group, people still get angry.
So all yorubas belong to one state? undecided
Please try to comprehend the issues before commenting, and if you cannot, keep your hands off the keyboard.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by biina: 7:53pm On Mar 28, 2010
@Ioma
Could you please stop the piecemeal 'echoing'. A single link to the source would suffice, and not you regurgitating small parts without any reference to the original source.
If you want to start a thread on NLI feel free to do so, but dont swarm the current thread with less relevant info.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by SEFAGO(m): 7:57pm On Mar 28, 2010
There are fears that the nomination of Mr. Olusegun Olutoyin Aganga, managing director of London-based investment bank, Goldman Sachs as minister by Acting President Goodluck Jonathan may run into stormy waters.
The problem with Aganga’s nomination is the stiff opposition mounted to his candidacy by a group consisting of members of Lagos State chapter of the Peoples  Democratic Party (PDP).
The group is protesting that Aganga is not an indigene of Lagos State and therefore should not be allowed to usurp the slot meant for the state.

LOLZ, I learn something new everyday about my beloved country
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by sojjy: 8:26pm On Mar 28, 2010
Aganga credentials is superb.Nigeria needs person like him at the helm of the affair of the government.He's one of the best among others nominated for the ministerial posts.His brillancy will surely outshine others thus scale through at the end of the day.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by EzeUche(m): 10:28pm On Mar 28, 2010
biina:

So all yorubas belong to one state? undecided
Please try to comprehend the issues before commenting, and if you cannot, keep your hands off the keyboard.

Who cares what state he is from? Is he not a Yoruba? Answer the question. Does a Yorubaman from that particular state have to fill that position? The answer is no. Whoever has the best credentials should get the job. Chai, there is no hope for Nigeria that even Yorubas are bashing their own even though he is the same as them.

And people have the nerve to talk about Igbos.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Beaf: 10:57pm On Mar 28, 2010
^
He is Edo, not Yoruba. But was born and bred in Lagos.

biina:

@Ioma
Could you please stop the piecemeal 'echoing'. A single link to the source would suffice, and not you regurgitating small parts without any reference to the original source.
If you want to start a thread on NLI feel free to do so, but dont swarm the current thread with less relevant info.

Enh! I never heard you ask anyone to stop the rampant echoing when it was the turn of Sanusi's various sharia thesis. shocked
However, you are right, the echoing is like shameless hero worshiping and I join you in begging Ioma to stop it.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by felele(m): 11:43pm On Mar 28, 2010
Most REAL Lagosians like the idea of having someone of Aganga's impeccable stature ([size=16pt]one out of 1500 "Managing Directors" at Goldman Sachs[/b][/size]) on Jonathan's cabinet. However, we would be happier if he could go from his home state of Edo.

Why should Lagos have to suffer because Edo State wants to have more than the alloted number of ministerial appointees?

Would it be fair if a Lagosian who just happened to have been born and brought up in Benin by his Yoruba parents were appointed as an Edo state nominee, thereby making it impossible for at least one real indigene of Edo State to take up a space in the nations affairs commensurate with his skill and experience

At any rate, the Constitution, no less, stipulates that ministers must be indigenes of all states of the Federation. I don't really think I like the idea of having someone from Edo state representing my state, and by extension, my interests at the national level.

All this balderash about Lagos State being a no man's land is just that, pure bunkum. I am an indigenous Lagosian and I DEEPLY resent settlers who try to claim my state as their own, and in so doing, deprive myself and my brethren of opportunities which rightly belong to us. We certainly cannot go to their states to claim the same. Why should we be the ones making the sacrifices?

We are quite well educated and high achievers in Lagos, and we really resent slightly less competent outsiders being brought in to take our birthright.

The powers that be should just move this guy to Edo State's slot, where he rightfully belongs, and appoint Musiliu Obanikoro, the current performing Nigerian High Commissioner in Ghana to the Lagos State slot. Nobody can argue that Koro has not given a splendid account of himself in that position.

Enough is Enough!!!
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Rothstein: 12:13am On Mar 29, 2010
@Felele, you better lesrn how to adjudge po
litical and sensitive issues.Aganga is more of a lagosisn than you cos he grew up in lag while you are from felele in oyo state. ur username said it all
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by SEFAGO(m): 12:17am On Mar 29, 2010
He is Edo, not Yoruba. But was born and bred in Lagos.

Hmm he is ethnic edo- really? I dont believe that, he is prolly yoruba living in edo
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by felele(m): 12:27am On Mar 29, 2010
Rothstein:

@Felele, you better lesrn how to adjudge po
litical and sensitive issues.Aganga is more of a lagosisn than you cos he grew up in lag while you are from felele in oyo state. your username said it all

Your ignorance is breathtaking!! Read section 147(3) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and tell me what you think it means in this context. Bear in mind as you do so, that Aganga is of ethnic Edo stock, and is therefore not an indigene of Lagos State:

147(3):
Any appointment under subsection (2) of this section by the President shall be in conformity with the provisions of section 14(3) of this Constitution:-

provided that in giving effect to the provisions aforesaid the President shall appoint at least one Minister from each State, who shall be an [size=20pt]indigene[/size] of such State.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by Rothstein: 1:13am On Mar 29, 2010
Indigene? so what are the criteria to be an indigene of lagos? u put sentiment b4 logic u know.
Re: Fears Mount Over Aganga by dayokanu(m): 1:16am On Mar 29, 2010
The powers that be should just move this guy to Edo State's slot, where he rightfully belongs, and appoint Musiliu Obanikoro, the current performing Nigerian High Commissioner in Ghana to the Lagos State slot. Nobody can argue that Koro has not given a splendid account of himself in that position.

Enough is Enough!!!

So all your epistle is because you want Koro Obanikoro ko Mushin ni.

WHo wants that thug representing Lagos state?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS| How Buhari Smuggled Fugitive Omar Al-bashir Out Of India To Sudan / Buhari's May 29th Speech Leaked / Why So Much Vile And Hate For The President Especially On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.