Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,781 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

Is Marriage An Achievement? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is Marriage An Achievement? (4105 Views)

Single Guys: Is Marriage The Key To Success? / Is Marriage An Achievement? / Is Having A Big Pénis – An Achievement For A Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Marriage An Achievement? by Simplybami(f): 7:35pm On Dec 06, 2017
Is marriage really an achievement? This is a question that has been echoing for a while now in my mind. Marriage is an institution where two people come together and decide to spend the rest of their lives together, through thick and thin. It is an institution, which has been painted for so long as the next best thing that can ever happen to anyone;which everyone should endeavour to make a reality. It is meant for companionship, partnership, deriving joy, having a sense of fulfilment and of course, having unlimited access to sex. At least, that is what it has been painted as. But the sad news is, it is not always what it seems to be.

So many people enter into this sacred institution with little or no knowledge about it, going into it with false expectations which always gets shattered after realising that it was all a mirage. So boy meets girl,both fall in love and after the usual marital rites, decides to journey into forever together. Great news right? They've fulfilled that sacred rite that automatically qualifies them as responsible people who should be looked up to according to the society standard. But is that really what this great institution is all about? We even hear words like ' don't worry, when you get married everything will fall in place' where did this even come from? I stand to be corrected though; but is there a supernatural element tied to this institution called marriage that I do not know of? If you can't fix yourself now, why go into it with false expectations thinking everything will automatically work itself out?

There are so many people who do not know the sole purpose of this institution, but every Saturday, we are always bombarded with the colourful asoebis all over. It's not always their fault remotely, most of them have been pressured into seeing marriage as the greatest achievement ever. As a result of this, the rate of divorce has been on the high side, and we keep wondering what exactly went wrong;when the fundamental intricacies of marriage have been abused. And in the Nigerian society, it is always the 'ogun aye' factor meaning (metaphysical forces) that is responsible for this misfortune. How typical!

I have come up with some set of people who need to work on their personality before considering the word MARRIAGE:

1. The Emotionally Immature Adult(which can be otherwise known as little prince or princess syndrome)

These set of people do not have a mind of their own, they are always indecisive and can never be trusted to make major decisions. They are considered as adults by every standard, but still helplessly cling to their parents, seeking their validations in all facet of their lives. Now, it's not a bad thing to include one's parents in one's personal life, but when it gets to making major decision that you will ultimately be the one to live with the result of that decision, then it is important to have a stance in it. As for the ladies in this category, they thrive better when their parents most especially their mothers chooses a spouse for them isn't this laughable? For the boys in this category, they depend solemnly on their parents approval before proposing to the lady they've been dating for so many years. I don't understand this, if you're already having doubts about the woman you intend to spend the rest of your life, why seek your parents validation as if they would be the ones to live in that matrimony with you? So when they eventually refuse, and give series of reasons you can't get married to her, you will readily push the blame on them. In some cases,some will be pressurised to take the bold step and damn all the consequences. It is always 'my mummy says' or 'Daddy thinks'. What happens when little misunderstanding occurs? Marriage is not a bed of roses, there are bound to be challenges, for how long will the parents keep settling these differences? They will not be here forever, so why not start making decisions that feels right instead of desperately seeking validation.

2. The Superstitious/Myopic Minded Ones

These set of people believes there is a supernatural element tied to marriage that readily brings good fortune. A story broke out one time about a man who insisted on the dissolution of his marriage. After much prying, it was discovered that the reason behind the man's insistence was because of something flimsy like his wife having 'bad legs' a term in Nigeria which transliterates into being an embodiment of misfortune. It is a general belief in Yoruba land that there is a certain blessing attached to marriage which a woman often time possesses . So the man got married to her with this mindset, but alas! His hope was dashed. It was later discovered that the man had accrued a huge amount of debt prior to the wedding, in order to impress the guests invited. So, he spent the first few months of his married life off setting the debt, which his wife didn't help with by the way; which as a result affected his business. Of course, his wife had to be a witch, if not; she would have used the midas touch she possessed to turn his situation around. A situation that could have been well avoided . Whatever happened to having an intimate wedding? It still beats my imagination the way folks spend heavily on a wedding ceremony these days.

3. The Desperate Ones

These set of people are so headstrong about having a title attached to their names. The society has encouraged the view that for a man or a woman to be well respected,he/she has to be married. Hence,the societal pressure sets in. For some women, they turn pretence into their God's given talent, they cook, clean, and of course perform every sex style just to keep a man. At the end of the day when the man breaks off the relationship, they start saying things like 'all men are scum'. Really?you weren't forced to cook and clean for him, you only assumed you were one hundred percent wife material, not knowing that you were only exhibiting one hundred percent traits of a maid. As for the sex part, why do some women always feel used when the relationship goes awry? You both enjoyed the sex, he didn't force himself on you; you only assumed wrongly that it was going to lead into marriage, so what exactly is the fuss about? For those who are 'lucky enough' to get that 'huge 'rock:ring(all sarcasm intended) they see it as the greatest achievement in life and slowly start exhibiting their real character few months into the marriage . There are also some men who are desperate for this title, but the society is harder on the women, hence the emphasis on them.

4. Those Who Believes In The Archaic Ideologies Concerning Marriage

These set of people believes so much in the laid down culture and tradition, and would never be caught dead going against it. They believe a gender is automatically fit for a specific role, why not have the view of whoever is fit for the task should carry it out. I'm talking about men who assumes that women are born with a cooking and cleaning gene, is that the only thing a woman is created for? What stops a man from doing this? Why should he feel emasculated for partaking in the chores of the house he lives in with his wife? Where is the love? As for the women in this category, they can't part with their money, they believe a man has to pay all the bills without rendering any support. Their popular mantra is 'my money is my money, and my husband's money is our money' this mindset is really disturbing and totally wrong. If you earn more than your husband, you should automatically shoulder more responsibility with your man supporting with what he has .And if you earn lesser than him, you should also be willing to contribute in your own little way. But that doesn't mean a man should abuse this, some men hide under the disguise that since their women earn higher than them, they should be the ones doing everything without contributing a dime; it's bad. Both couple should be financially independent and supportive. Marriage is all about partnership. The responsibilities attached to it should be divided equally.

In conclusion, marriage is not an achievement, if you're not yet married and you think you're a failure because of this, then you need to change your mindset fast. It is better to be single, enjoying every seconds of it than rushing into a marriage where you will constantly be in sorrow. Though there are some Marriages that have stand the test of time and are still waxing stronger, there are also some who paint a perfect picture;but do you really know the pain behind their facade?Develop yourself, work on your personality and most importantly be financially independent. Marriage is not an automatic free reliever to your financial burdens. Marriage is overrated and a very risky venture;so your ultimate goal in life should be to be happy.

www.simplybami..com

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Sammy07: 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2017
Though I didn't read the long epsitle embarassed

But Marriage is a contract grin
Which can be terminated, among the Parties involved tongue

2 Likes

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by dingbang(m): 7:44pm On Dec 06, 2017
Marriage to me is more like a partnership between two people who understand each other. You can't just live with someone in peace if you don't understand the person, no matter the circumstances in which both married each other.

In another space, one should get married when he or she has finally achieved emotional stability.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by ehbellsho(m): 7:50pm On Dec 06, 2017
The "married" should hav more explanation to that.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by JONNYSPUTE(m): 8:03pm On Dec 06, 2017
Not necessarily an achievement but very important. A man or a woman who is of marriageable age but still single is looked upon as a failure. In igboland they will call u an OFEKE.meaning a useless person.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Ajanacool(m): 8:05pm On Dec 06, 2017
Its not, until you are fulfilled and happy in it irrespective of your bank account balance.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 06, 2017
shocked
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by walepackage(m): 8:39pm On Dec 06, 2017
Marriage is not only important/achievement but also 'functional' cos its the social unit that serves as the bedrock to the 'societal continual'.Thou,this social institution is gradually loosing its values and roles in our contemporary societies,due to new emerging social facts.These 'facts' makes some to ask the question about/doubt its efficiency and importancy.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Blackhawk01: 8:41pm On Dec 06, 2017
A "successful" marriage is an achievement.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by ibkayee(f): 8:57pm On Dec 06, 2017
It’s relative, I guess it’s an achievement if getting married was an aim, it’s not as important to some people. Even then I’d say it’s a successful marriage that is the achievement
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by QueenSekxy(f): 9:00pm On Dec 06, 2017
I go with blackhawk01

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 06, 2017
A successful marriage is indeed an achievement.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 06, 2017
It Is An Achievement! Although The Bible Doesnt Force It On Us... Its Not Do Or Die
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 06, 2017
Bloody no.

Maybe a successful one is an achievenment but even still you still see folks getdivorced after more than 10 years of marriage.

The best marriages are ones in which there is a clear purpose - a “contract” if you will. And both parties understand that well in case passion fizzles out or one misbehaves.

I mean look at Jay z and queen bey after jayz cheating scandal, she is still with him. She understands its part business and part love or whatever. If love dies, busines must resumeas usual.

God willing, i will only marry for a PURPOSE other than breeding and companionship.

I will join “partnership” or power coupled in marriage to achieve a goal or mission in this life.

Thats it. Otherwise, marriage is an overrated archaic institution save for those merged by God for kingdom purposes.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Kimcutie: 11:30pm On Dec 06, 2017
alexialin:
A successful marriage is indeed an achievement.
I agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 7:48am On Dec 07, 2017
When you finish going, you will come back undecided
QueenSekxy:
I go with blackhawk01
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 07, 2017
A successful marriage that both parties are happy, blossoming is an achievement, not all this modern slavery in the name of being married
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Blackhawk01: 7:59am On Dec 07, 2017
QueenSekxy:
I go with blackhawk01

Ya smart wink
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 8:32am On Dec 07, 2017
If you marry someone you love and you are friends with, its an achievement.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by LadyMarionette(f): 8:52am On Dec 07, 2017
Marriage is only an enterprise, like so many others you might embark on throughout your lifetime. If you succeed at it, then that's an achievement worth celebrating. Which is why we celebrate successful milestones with paper through to diamond.
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by QueenSekxy(f): 9:14am On Dec 07, 2017
ChiefPiiko:
When you finish going, you will come back undecided
lolundecided
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by thatsincerechic(f): 9:18am On Dec 07, 2017
Yes it is an achievement.
A great one at that.

"achievement: something very good and difficult that you have succeeded in doing."
Marriage is very good.
It is only those that are scared of marriage or from broken marriages will say otherwise.
Staying married comes with a lot of dedications and sacrifices.
Although marriage is not for everyone .
Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 07, 2017
Good morning Engr
QueenSekxy:

lolundecided

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by QueenSekxy(f): 10:00am On Dec 07, 2017
ChiefPiiko:
Good morning Engr
how was your night

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 07, 2017
Fine but I am still sleepy cheesy this your meme kills me
QueenSekxy:

how was your night

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by QueenSekxy(f): 10:54am On Dec 07, 2017
ChiefPiiko:
Fine but I am still sleepy cheesy this your meme kills me

you don't mean it

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 07, 2017
I am not kidding
QueenSekxy:

you don't mean it

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by QueenSekxy(f): 11:08am On Dec 07, 2017
ChiefPiiko:
I am not kidding
what did you eat this morning that's making you sleepy

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 11:12am On Dec 07, 2017
I sleep late and I wake up really early, without taking breaks at work sad
QueenSekxy:

what did you eat this morning that's making you sleepy

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by QueenSekxy(f): 12:00pm On Dec 07, 2017
ChiefPiiko:
I sleep late and I wake up really early, without taking breaks at work sad
how can you not take breakfast to work, ,and even when you went to work,,you didn't still eat.

and you here forming sleepy eyesundecided

Re: Is Marriage An Achievement? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 07, 2017
Breaks, I meant I hardly eat early, just once or twice a day at most.
QueenSekxy:

how can you not take breakfast to work, ,and even when you went to work,,you didn't still eat.

and you here forming sleepy eyesundecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

"There's Nothing Like Menstrual Pain, Girls Are Pretenders" - Nigerian Man Says / Black Girls Making White Men Ready To Risk It All / I Apologised But He Still Treated Me Like Trash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.