Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. (36418 Views)

Soon To Be Brides and grooms, Please Come In, Let's Plan Together! / After 4 Consecutive Years Of Death In Her Family, Lady Grateful For 2018 / List Of Clothing Materials Grooms Present To Brides In The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Fumbaby: 2:30pm On Dec 09, 2017
I am booking space for my elder brother...... the guy must marry next year
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Melsan: 2:36pm On Dec 09, 2017
Thanks@sexybbstar
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Melsan: 2:38pm On Dec 09, 2017
Fumbaby:
I am booking space for my elder brother...... the guy must marry next year
Sisisioge,this might be the lucky guy..lol
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Melsan: 2:39pm On Dec 09, 2017
sisisioge:

See me see isolenu...can you find me a tall glass of hot chocolate? Biko let it come with some high IQ grin
You and hot chocolate ehn..lol
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by bibijay123(f): 2:52pm On Dec 09, 2017
Yellow and white smiley me likey!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 3:07pm On Dec 09, 2017
sexybbstar:
Another idea on traditional wedding attire
Please post Igbo's traditional wedding attire too.
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by sisisioge: 3:12pm On Dec 09, 2017
Melsan:
You and hot chocolate ehn..lol

You know I'm all shades of colors nau...let him be chocolate biko wink
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Melsan: 3:35pm On Dec 09, 2017
bibijay123:
Yellow and white smiley me likey!
Congrats bibi. Go back inside the moon jor.
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Melsan: 3:37pm On Dec 09, 2017
sisisioge:

You know I'm all shades of colors nau...let him be chocolate biko wink
Lol. Any plans for Christmas? Mek I show for your end?
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by sisisioge: 3:56pm On Dec 09, 2017
Melsan:
Lol. Any plans for Christmas? Mek I show for your end?

Where're you based? Are you anywhere close to Gbagada Lagos? It won't be bad to buy you a bottle or two of snap o...I'm gonna be working all through the holidays though, no thanks to my new job. Awon ndi iranu angry
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Melsan: 4:02pm On Dec 09, 2017
sisisioge:

Where're you based? Are you anywhere close to Gbagada Lagos? It won't be bad to buy you a bottle or two of snap o...I'm gonna be working all through the holidays though, no thanks to my new job. Awon ndi iranu angry
Can always find my way around as a lasgidi babe. Congrats on the new job..Pele. If I nor travel,i go buzz you.
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by sisisioge: 4:06pm On Dec 09, 2017
Melsan:
Can always find my way around as a lasgidi babe. Congrats on the new job..Pele. If I nor travel,i go buzz you.

Cool. Never congratulate me...I dey find another already embarassed. Talk for another day. Let me know if you would be in town wink
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 09, 2017
sexybbstar y d hurry,2017 never finish o.I guess u are excited

1 Like

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 09, 2017
karli4nia:
Life to me, made absolutely no sense at all..until that magical moment u suddenly appeared from no where..with that same enchanting smile from way back our last reincarnation in the middle ages.. I said ... with an air of déjà vu- " I have been waiting for you... " you replied " Yes! The most important wait of your life is over ".......
hmmm dis is beautiful
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 09, 2017
Preetiex:
sexybbstar y d hurry,2017 never finish o.I guess u are excited
Lol,the thread is always created around november for the sake of those getting married in january.
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Dec 09, 2017
acme6:
Alright Dearie...smiley
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 09, 2017
sexybbstar:
Lol,the thread is always created around november for the sake of those getting married in january.
ok ma,i will follow but i am not a 2018 bride

1 Like

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Fumbaby: 7:23pm On Dec 09, 2017
Melsan:
Sisisioge,this might be the lucky guy..lol

Lolzzz..... is sisioge single and searching?
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Melsan: 7:29pm On Dec 09, 2017
Fumbaby:

Lolzzz..... is sisioge single and searching?
Only if your bro is a tall glass of hot chocolate with high IQ..lol
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Fumbaby: 7:42pm On Dec 09, 2017
Melsan:

Nope..... His a yellow modern shot glass that has thicker base
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Fumbaby: 7:43pm On Dec 09, 2017
Melsan:

Nope..... His a yellow modern shot glass that has thicker base
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 09, 2017
acme6:

Igbo brides

1 Like

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 09, 2017
Igbo brides

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by karli4nia(m): 8:02pm On Dec 09, 2017
Preetiex:
hmmm dis is beautiful

Hmmm..really..Thanks Sis!
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by karli4nia(m): 8:09pm On Dec 09, 2017
sexybbstar:

Awww.. This is romantic! Is she a Nairalander? Hope she's seeing this?

Yeah...true love is so damn rare... It can take half of a life time to find the ONE..but the wait wld be worthy in d end. Let me use this chance to thank you Sis for your effort here..kindly keep it up...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 8:10pm On Dec 09, 2017
YORUBA TRADITIONAL WEDDING

The Yoruba traditional marriage ceremony even though a serious affair, is full of playful banter, rich contemporary Nigerian music, graceful colours and sumptuous meals. Weddings in Yoruba land is an occasion to show your best outfits, handbags, jewelry and even dancing styles. The traditional wedding is an occasion to alleviate the drudgery of normal life and are greatly anticipated by friends and well wishers. It is carried out in different stages which will be discussed
extensively in this article.

The Introduction:

The families of the bride and groom meet long before any engagement ceremony takes place. The groom visits the family of the bride in company of his father and some family members. The occasion is an informal introduction without fanfare but a cordial atmosphere to know each other. The informal introduction does not require much except some tubers of yam and a few bottles of wine; the family of the bride hosts the visitors with a simple meal of their coice. Apart from all round introductions, they might
discuss when the event would take place, this is not hard and fast rule and such discussions might take place later.

Bride's Outfit:

The bride's outfit is a reflection of what the female guests will wear, she might choose, damask, lace, Nigerian wax fabric or any fabric that appeals to her. The outfit consists of gele which is the head tie, the buba (the blouse) and an iro which is a large material tied round her waist and is usually ankle length. The colours she chooses reflects the colour theme her family has chosen but should also complement the groom's outfit and look identical. She can wear accessories like gold necklace, beads, bangles, gold earrings and shoes to match.

Groom's Outfit:

The groom could decide to wear an Agbada which is a two layered material of heavy dimensions like the Aso-Oke (traditional hand-woven material) , it might be cotton, and damask or he might wear lace or even wax fabric (Ankara). His colour combination should complement the bride's and reflect the colour his family has chosen.

The Traditional Engagement:

The traditional engagement is carried out by a contracted professional called the Alaga I jokolo282 which translated, means the traditional master of ceremony. The professional could be a member of the bride's family or a complete stranger. The Alaga Ijoko is usually a woman and her duty is to properly officiate and coordinate the proceeding so each provision of tradition is strictly adhered too. There are different stages she coordinates and each stage might elicit a collection of cash which the Alaga keeps, various fines are paid and formal introduction of the groom accompanied by his age mates and friends which also involves prostrating to the family of the bride to formally request their daughter's hand in marriage. The groom's family also hire a professional called the Alaga iduro which means the standing master of ceremony, who follows the groom and family to ask for the hand of their daughter. The Alaga iduro is also a professional custodian of Yoruba wedding tradition. She could be a family
member or hired for the occasion. Other festivities include the letter reading which is read by a young lady from the groom's family also asking for the hand of the bride in marriage. The bride's family also responds with a letter of their own. The engagement is an integral part of the traditional marriage and as the ceremony proceeds, items listed for the engagement that was given to the groom's family is presented. The items
vary slightly in each Yoruba traditional wedding but the general articles are the same.

Items Requested By The Bride's Family:

Some of the items demanded by the bride's family are; bag of sugar, bag of rice, alligator pepper, large number of bitter kola, bag of salt, kola nuts. If they are Christians, a bible, keg of honey and about forty large tubers of yam are included in the items. Non edible items could include expensive materials like lace, several pairs of shwristwatch, a gold engagement ring and head tie.

Bride Price:

There is no fixed amount of money for the bride price, as it is usually dictated by the bride's family and is subject to negotiation. However, there are other fees to be paid by the groom/his family (which are also negotiable); Owo Isigba - N500. This is used to open the packaged gift items brought by the bridegroom, Owo Ikanlekun (entrance fee) - N500, Owo Ijoko Iyawo N1,000. This is the money given to elders in the groom's family, Owo Isiju Iyawo (fees paid to unveil the bride) - N500, Owo Baba Gbo - N500. This amount is paid to ask for the bride's father consent, Owo Iya Gbo - N1,000. This is the amount of money paid to ask for the
bride's mother consent, Owo Omo Ile Okunrin - N500. This is the money given to all male children in the bride's family, Owo Omo Ile Obinrin - N500. This is the money given to all female children in the bride's family, Owo Iyawo Ile - N500. this is the money given to all wives in the bride's family, Owo Ijoko Agba - N1,000. This is the amount of money reserved for elders of the bride's family, Owo Alaga Ijoko (amount of money reserved for the MC) - N500.

The Groom and Bride:

Some of the engagement protocols officiated by the Alaga ijoko is carried out in the absence of the groom, the professionals go through a question and answer format were the bride's moderator puts the representatives of the groom through some hoops. At one point the groom's presence is needed and he comes forward and goes through the introduction process to the bride's family and parents. When all requirements are met the groom is led and allowed to seat on one of the two large chairs conspicuously placed in from of the guests. The chairs are artfully decorated in the chosen ceremonial colours by the wedding planner.

The Bride:

The bride is then heralded into the venue of the ceremony followed by her friends, all dressed in traditional attires like buba and iro, as they join her in a boisterous dance down the hall. The bride also goes through a few protocols but money is only given to her and not taken from her as in the case of the groom. She is introduced to the groom's family before she takes her place beside the groom. At this stage, they may consider themselves married. The wife displays some wifely traits by feeding the groom some cake and wine, even a kiss to the amusement of the guests.

Conclusion:

Yoruba traditional marriage is seen as an
occasion for family members to reunite and catch-up on
current happenings. They also see find old friends and
acquaintances. It is a fun filled and meticulously planned period that announces to the world the union of their loved ones. The couple can choose to include a civil union through a court wedding and also go through a church wedding and a separate wedding reception. Muslims who also form a large number of Yoruba people have a more simplified wedding protocol which involves Islamic scholars and religious leaders who offer prayers to the union followed by merriment in form
of a party.

Sources: The Nigeria » , Hub Pages » , All Things Nigeria »
and Aisle Perfect » .

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by karli4nia(m): 8:12pm On Dec 09, 2017
Mariinee:
Awwn darling...I'm blushing. embarassed embarassed

Hmmm...My Sister from that place I don't wanna call the name... My learned colleague.... Bawo ni? smiley
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Dec 09, 2017
An igbo lady should please help with the details on igbo traditional marriage. Thanks!
Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Dec 09, 2017
sexybbstar:

Igbo brides
Wow, nice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 09, 2017
sexybbstar:

Igbo brides
Wow, nice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 09, 2017
sexybbstar:

Igbo brides
Wow, nice.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For 2018 Brides And Grooms To Be. by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 09, 2017
karli4nia:

Hmmm...My Sister from that place I don't wanna call the name... My learned colleague.... Bawo ni? smiley
Which place? grin grin
I am good and you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Father Uses His 5 Kids To Perform Excercise, Goes Viral (photo) / Marrying Last As First Child / Mummy In The House!!! Lets Discuss Our Babies Food Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.