Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,977 members, 7,814,329 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions (2974 Views)

No Land For Ruga Settlement In Edo — Obaseki / See How PDP And APC Currently Stand In Nigeria. Regions And States, As PDP Gains / Leaders From The 6 Geopolitical Regions Meet With Peter Obi (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Sprumbabafather: 4:40pm On Dec 15, 2017
Nigeria is a good country, peopled by hard working citizens who live and work in the country to provide goods that service the needs of the populace. Yet the country is a complex Web of ethnic nationalities with varying degrees of bonds among the different tribes. These ethnic nationalities has been living and working together since the days of the colonialists. But there seems to be some unresolved issues which is tearing at the seams of national unity from our migratory patterns.

In the past, Nigerians freely moved within states and did their business in peace, there are reports of generations of Yoruba Nigerians living and working peacefully in Plateau state, there has never been any reported violence against them. There are also reports of early settlements of the Fulani in Enugu state, especially in the Nsukka areas. The Igbos scattered all over the country and beyond even before the independence of Nigeria. There were no problems anywhere, till around the 1950 when some attacks were reported against the Igbos in Kano.

After the civil war, the Igbos who lost the war spread out once again and seemed to have recovered from the set back of the war and made some important inroads into various parts of this country.

Problems started when the Igbos seemed to start making arrangements to stay permanently in areas they bought land and did business, so much was the area the Igbos controlled that it is starting to look like some people are no longer content with the way things are going. In stark comparison, no other tribe in this country are making any serious plans of expansion beyond their known areas. No tribe seems to be confident in the survival of Nigeria to the extent of staking their capital in another region.

There are millions of northern people doing good business in the west, South south and the south east without owning a single shop anywhere. There are millions of south west people doing business in the south south, south east and establishing churches and prayer houses and they don't own a single land there despite how much they make.

While I think the settlement pattern of the Igbos is problematic, owing to past history of Igbo properties seized during the war, but instead of the Igbos crying about this problem, it's mostly people from the south west who cry the most about this. And I want to ask WHY?

Why is the south west afraid of Igbos staying in their region and doing business legally? I must be missing something here. The way the south west is feeling about this, making several provocative statements, even forcefully returning Igbos back to Onitsha under the Fashola administration says a lot. The Oba of Lagos is clearly unsettled about this, as well as every other person. Yoruba people on Nairaland are also angry. WHY?

I am one of those who will support a disintegration of Nigeria because I think the Igbos stand a much better chance of growth and development in a nation for only Igbos, the Yoruba and Hausa/Fulani also has a strong chance of greatness in their own country, but if we must be in the same country, there must be freedom and equity. The debate about where one comes from should never arise. Niger deltans should move into the north and feel welcome. Yoruba should come and buy lands and live in Owerri without issues, Housas should move down to Lagos while Igbos move to Benin and feel at home.

Let the Igbos think home, build up Igboland as they have been doing, I cannot complain in the last 20 years, we are trying. But we must not run from anyone in any region in Nigeria. Move to areas you can make money and earn your honest living while paying your taxes. But invest your profits in the South East to create more jobs for your people.

Let the rest of the country also do their own business, buy lands everywhere if you want integration and a strong and United Nigeria. Learn to tolerate others.

Long live Nigeria.
(And if it fails,)
Then, LONG LIVE BIAFRA.

2 Likes

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 15, 2017
Sprumbabafather:
Nigeria is a good country, peopled by hard working citizens who live and work in the country to provide services that service the needs of the populace. Yet the country is a complex Web of ethnic nationalities with varying degrees of bonds among the different tribes. These ethnic nationalities has been living and working together since the days of the colonialists. But there seems to be some unresolved issues which is tearing at the seams of national unity from our migratory patterns.

In the past, Nigerians freely moved within states and did their business in peace, there are reports of generations of Yoruba Nigerians living and working peacefully in Plateau state, there has never been any reported violence against them. There are also reports of early settlements of the Fulani in Enugu state, especially in the Nsukka areas. The Igbos scattered all over the country and beyond even before the independence of Nigeria. There were no problems anywhere, till around the 1950 when some attacks were reported against the Igbos in Kano.

After the civil war, the Igbos who lost the war spread out once again and seemed to have recovered from the set back of the war and made some important inroads into various parts of this country.

Problems started when the Igbos seemed to start making arrangements to stay permanently in areas they bought land and did business, so much was the area the Igbos controlled that it is starting to look like some people are no longer content with the way things are going. In stark comparison, no other tribe in this country are making any serious plans of expansion beyond their known areas. No tribe seems to be confident in the survival of Nigeria to the extent of staking their capital in another region.

There are millions of northern people doing good business in the west, South south and the south east without owning a single shop anywhere. There are millions of south west people doing business in the south south, south east and establishing churches and prayer houses and they don't own a single land there despite how much they make.

While I think the settlement pattern of the Igbos is problematic, owing to past history of Igbo properties seized during the war, but instead of the Igbos crying about this problem, it's mostly people from the south west who cry the most about this. And I want to ask WHY?

Why is the south west afraid of Igbos staying in their region and doing business legally? I must be missing something here. The way the south west is feeling about this, making several provocative statements, even forcefully returning Igbos back to Onitsha under the Fashola administration says a lot. The Oba of Lagos is clearly unsettled about this, as well as every other person. Yoruba people on Nairaland are also angry. WHY?

I am one of those who will support a disintegration of Nigeria because I think the Igbos stand a much better chance of growth and development in a nation for only Igbos, but if we must be in the same country, there must be freedom and equity. The debate about where one comes from should never arise. Niger deltans should move into the north and feel welcome. Yoruba should come and buy lands and live in Owerri without issues, Housas should move down to Lagos while Igbos move to Benin and feel at home.

Let the Igbos think home, build up Igboland as they have been doing, I cannot complain in the last 20 years, we are trying. But we must not run from anyone in any region in Nigeria. Move to areas you can make money and earn your honest living while paying your taxes. But invest your profits in the South East to create more jobs for your people.

Let the rest of the country also do their own business, buy lands everywhere if you want integration and a strong and United Nigeria. Learn to tolerate others.

Long live Nigeria.
(And if it fails,)
Then, LONG LIVE BIAFRA.
The dull@rds do not support Biafra.
Neither do they support One Nigeria.

Africa is held back by the unrelenting stvpidity of Africans.

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ok, we have heard you. Igbos can continue expanding and buying up lands wherever they want. We don’t want fight this afternoon, please.Are we cool?
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Sprumbabafather: 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2017
Alcatraz005:
Ok, we have heard you. Igbos can continue expanding and buying up lands wherever they want. We don’t want fight this afternoon, please.Are we cool?

Cool.
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Ereolamide: 5:07pm On Dec 15, 2017
Let me speak on behalf of the Yorubas, I know this winding essay is directed at Yorubas, the mention of other tribes is attempt to cover your ill thought out propositions.

My question to you is, why is it that Igbos are the only tribe facing this so-called attacks from Yorubas? I haven't heard any other tribes in Nigeria under attacks by Yorubas on nairaland and Nigeria respectively.

Didn't you jolly friends and attaché by force brothers in the South South declare your properties abandoned after the civil war?

Igbos are the one crying, no wonder your uncles in the north( northern Igbos)were running amok when mallams gave you guys a quit notice.

10 Likes

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ereolamide:
Let me speak on behalf of the Yorubas, I know this winding essay is directed at Yorubas, the mention of other tribes is attempt to cover your ill thought propositions.

My question to you is, why is that Igbos are the only tribe facing this so-called attacks from Yorubas and Hausas? I haven't heard any other tribes in Nigeria under attacks by Yorubas and Hausas on nairaland and Nigeria respectively.

Didn't you jolly friends and attaché by force brothers in the South South declare your properties abandoned after the civil war?

Igbos are the one crying, no wonder your uncles in the north( northern Igbos)were running amok in the North when mallams gave you guys a quit notice.

Is there a need for this? I am Yoruba as much as you are and I feel they should do what they feel like and we too will do what we can. Efi won le ko shaye won jareee.

We have adviced them to limit their migration to our land for their own good but they have refused to listen, so what can we do at this point?

From their responses, it is clear that they are not ashamed of the disgrace that their migration causes their tribe. It would be best at this juncture to leave them alone to do what the like but check them when they have crossed the line.

Yorubas would never stop doing what we can do nip them in the bud. Let them yarn all they like.
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Sprumbabafather: 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ereolamide:
Let me speak on behalf of the Yorubas, I know this winding essay is directed at Yorubas, the mention of other tribes is attempt to cover your ill thought propositions.

My question to you is, why is that Igbos are the only tribe facing this so-called attacks from Yorubas and Hausas? I haven't heard any other tribes in Nigeria under attacks by Yorubas and Hausas on nairaland and Nigeria respectively.

Igbos are the one crying, no wonder your uncles in the north( northern Igbos)were running amok in the North when mallams gave you guys a quit notice.

Kindly reread the 4th paragraph. Stop the hate.
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Ereolamide: 5:13pm On Dec 15, 2017
Alcatraz005:

Is there a need for this? I am Yoruba as much as you are and I feel they should do what they feel like and we too will do what we can. Efi won le ko shaye won jareee.

Yorubas would never stop doing what we can do nip them in the bud. Let them yarn all they like.
In as much as you claim to be Yoruba on this forum, I feel ill at ease with your submissions, so kindly swerve mate.

5 Likes

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Sprumbabafather: 5:15pm On Dec 15, 2017
Alcatraz005:

We have advices them to limit their migration to our land for their own good but they have refused to listen, so what can we do at this point?

Objectively, can you tell us why you think Igbos migration to other parts of Nigeria is bad? Do you also think Igbos should start nipping the religious incursion of the Yorubas into igboland in the bud?

No insults pls

2 Likes

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ereolamide:

In as much as you claim to be Yoruba on this forum, [/b]I feel ill at ease with your submission[b], so kindly swerve mate.

Why the bolded? Maybe I don’t say what you like to hear. You can’t hate the igbos as much as I have done so all these your gra gra is misplaced.

What can you do about their migration to yorubaland at this point other than online insults? If you are so vexed, why don’t you attack the nearest igbo man you see. As of this moment, there is nothing we can do about their menace. If and when that opportunity to flush them out, I and millions of Yorubas would do the needful.

Edit: I also don’t care how or what you feel about me being a Yoruba man or not. Take a chill pill friend.
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Ereolamide: 5:19pm On Dec 15, 2017
Sprumbabafather:

Kindly reread the 4th paragraph. Stop the hate.
I can't find anything pertaining to my questions; who the fvck hates you, Igbos and persecution complex is like bread and beans.

1 Like

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 15, 2017
Sprumbabafather:

Objectively, can you tell us why you think Igbos migration to other parts of Nigeria is bad? Do you also think Igbos should start nipping the religious incursion of the Yorubas into igboland in the bud?

No insults pls

It is not the migration per se but the volume and how you relate with the local population of where you migrate to. And some of us are against the mass migration because we actually want the best for igbos. Everything is not about hate. How would igboland develop when her sons and daughters only come home every Christmas? Igbos’ best minds should stay in and develop the east. There has to be that love for the homeland which is lacking in igbos. I might be wrong but this is how I see it.

1 Like

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 15, 2017
Alcatraz005:

It is not the migration per se but the volume and how you relate with the local population of where you migrate to. And some of us are against the mass migration because we actually want the best for igbos. Everything is not about hate. How would igboland develop when her sons and daughters only come home every Christmas? Igbos’ best minds should stay in and develop the east. There has to be that love for the homeland which is lacking in igbos. I might be wrong but this is how I see it.
Are you not tired of telling Igbos what to do grin grin

Leave Lagos matter and focus on your cocoyam farm.
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 15, 2017
There is no need for argument here. Igbos are still part and parcel of Nigeria so they can migrate anywhere. Hot headed youths of both tribes don’t have the power to effect change offline so why continue to bicker online?

OP, please forget all these internet talk and ship the next batch of igbos to anywhere in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Ereolamide: 5:24pm On Dec 15, 2017
[s]
Alcatraz005:

Why the bolded? Maybe I don’t say what you like to hear. You can’t hate the igbos as much as I have done so all these your gra gra is misplaced.

What can you do about their migration to yorubaland at this point other than online insults? If you are so vexed, why don’t you attack the nearest igbo man you see. As of this moment, there is nothing we can do about their menace. If and when that opportunity to flush them out, I and millions of Yorubas would do the needful.

Edit: I also don’t care how or what you feel about me being a Yoruba man or not. Take a chill pill friend.
[/s]
Go bleep yourself mate, I don't give a hoot about your ludicrous and dimwitted blabbering.

If you hate Igbos it's your fuvking business not mine.

5 Likes

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 15, 2017
imhotep:

Are you not tired of telling Igbos what to do grin grin

Leave Lagos matter and focus on your cocoyam farm.

Ah! Imhotep my guy. If you follow the thread, you would see that I am partly on the side of igbos today so no shaking. I just like to advice out of love. I am capable of some good too you know? I ain’t all bad and hateful. grin wink
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ereolamide:
[s][/s]
Go bleep yourself mate, I don't give a hoot about your ludicrous and dimwitted blabbering.

What is wrong with you? Why are you so abrasive? Are you an omoluabi at all?
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ereolamide:
[s][/s]

In your lucid moment, go through this thread again and appraise your behavior. You deserve to be chastised.
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Ereolamide: 5:30pm On Dec 15, 2017
Alcatraz005:

In your lucid moment, go through this thread again and appraise your behavior. You deserve to be chastised.
I think you've mistaking for your father.

Leave me the Bleep alone, nigga!

2 Likes

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 15, 2017
Alcatraz005:

Ah! Imhotep my guy. If you follow the thread, you would see that I am partly on the side of igbos today so no shaking. I just like to advice out of love. I am capable of some good too you know? I ain’t all bad and hateful. grin wink
Alleluia grin grin
So the Igbo phobia is reducing

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ereolamide:

I think you've mistaking for your father.

Given your character and use of expletives in this thread so far, I think I am suitably placed to talk some sense into you. Get over your usual self and act like an omoluabi.

You are disgrace to our tribe. undecided
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 15, 2017
imhotep:

Alleluia grin grin
So the Igbo phobia is reducing

Imhotep, you know you are my favorite igbo moniker on NL? Your calm attitude in the heat of the hate has endeared me to you.

As for the topic, is there anything that can be done about igbo migration as long as One Nigeria remains?

Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Ereolamide: 5:35pm On Dec 15, 2017
Who the Bleep is that madman ranting above? grin cheesy
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 15, 2017
Alcatraz005:

As for the topic, is there anything that can be done about igbo migration as long as One Nigeria remains?

Such "migration" was precisely the reason behind the formation of "One Nigeria".

That is why you should properly analyze the consequences of "One Nigeria" before shouting "One Nigeria".

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 15, 2017
I leave the task of determining who the mad one is btw you and i to the viewers of this thread. I refuse to join you in the gutter undecided

Cc: Ereolamide
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 15, 2017
imhotep:

Such "migration" was precisely the reason behind the formation of "One Nigeria".

That is why you should properly analyze the consequences of "One Nigeria" before shouting "One Nigeria".

You are right. But you know that my people are not the ones shouting One Nigeria na? You know right? smiley
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 15, 2017
Alcatraz005:

You are right. But you know that my people are not the ones shouting One Nigeria na? You know right? smiley
Your people were busying fighting for one Nigeria, without considering the long term consequences of One Nigeria

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 15, 2017
I usually dont like exchanging insults online and i am always irritated when gutter language is employed in thrashing out any issue.

I want to believe the Ereolamide moniker is not a yoruba man. I sincerely believe he is not as his attitude thus far runs counter to the omoluabi principle every well brought up yoruba has been inculcated with.

Sad we have such people in our midst.
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 15, 2017
imhotep:

Your people were busying fighting for one Nigeria, without considering the long term consequences of One Nigeria

My brother, water will find its level pretty soon and all ethnic nationalities in Nigeria will be able to chart their respective course. For now, lets manage. smiley
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Ereolamide: 5:48pm On Dec 15, 2017
This nigga is a gay I swear grin, he ejaculates dickriding a moniker on nairaland that gives no Bleep about him.

The motherfucker is obviously pained, if there is no strain of insanity coursing through your blood stream why mention me.

1 Like

Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ereolamide:

[/b]I think you've mistaking for your father.[b]

Just imagine what an adult in saying....
Re: Politics of Migration And Settlement in Nigeria's regions by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 15, 2017
Alcatraz005:

My brother, water will find its level pretty soon and all ethnic nationalities in Nigeria will be able to chart their respective course. For now, lets manage. smiley
fair enough.
The main lesson being: those who hustle for one Nigeria should not complain about the consequences of One Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EkitiDecides2018: Lere Olayinka Lost Polling Unit At Okemesi / Compare & Contrast: Stella Oduah Forgery Vs Kemi Adeosun Forgery / OBJ Says Buhari Is An Impostor, PDP Vanguard Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.