Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State (13915 Views)

Buhari To Gradually Ease Lockdown In Lagos, FCT And Ogun From 4th May / IGP Deploys Intervention Squads To Lagos And Ogun. / Ibrahim Tumsah Musa: The Most Corrupt Civil Servant, Richer Than 4 Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by sevenhundred(m): 6:19am On Jan 05, 2018
EternalTruths:

Stop talking thrash.

Qatar and UAE are global investors.

They are acquiring lands & businesses globally should in case oil & gas loses wealth.

Norway is already a global investor.

The Fulani Republic of Nigeria can never think outside plundering the oil wealth of SS & SE.

Nations are investing globally if you don't know.
hey listen, maybe country invest or not that's not my own argument, what I am saying you just accept if countries decides to invest their money, they were richer, so therefore don't drag me to any fulani or political inclined issue, stay within the issue pls.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by EternalTruths: 6:22am On Jan 05, 2018
sevenhundred:
hey listen, maybe country invest or not that's not my own argument, what I am saying you just accept if countries decides to invest their money, they were richer, so therefore don't drag me to any fulani or political inclined issue, stay within the issue pls.

Qatar UAE Norway are investing their money.

Did anyone stop Lagos & Nigeria from doing so.?

I pity this generation of Yorubas.

You guys should not learn until when the gap between the Igbos and you people become unbridgeable.
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by sevenhundred(m): 6:27am On Jan 05, 2018
EternalTruths:

When will you learn.?

What we are telling you Yoruba people is to start focusing on building international companies that can create good jobs & wealth for you people.

Lagos will not be able to sustain you guys.

There are companies far richer than Nigeria eg Apple.
I am not talking about any tribe or nation, so don't drag me into your tribal war, my own is Apple or any other companies can not be richer than any legitimate nation if you compares their responsibilities and social services to their people simple analyzes.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by sevenhundred(m): 6:32am On Jan 05, 2018
EternalTruths:

walexy100

A State can have left over just as a company can have.

In the case of a company, it is called Profit

In the case of a State, it is called Savings/Reserve.

The Profits of those companies are far higher than the Reserves of Lagos State

That is what Kettykings and co have being trying to pass along

Afonjas should compare the Savings of Apple and Foreign Reserve of Nigeria and tell me which one is higher.?
then compare their responsibilities also and tell your afonjas which one is bigger.
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by IkpuMmadu: 6:47am On Jan 05, 2018
sevenhundred:
MTN? richer than the countries but still investing in the country under the control and supervision of the country? maybe you don't understand Nigeria makes the company not the other way round, MTN can not pay Nigeria pensioners salaries for a year only without going bankrupt. likewise any big companies can not be richer than any nation because company was created to make profit while govt provides services and amenities.

I don't get it....you are missing it....MTN as a firm is even richer than Nigeria in terms of revenue just like google is richer than the whole West African countries put together ....don't get it muddled up....nigeria is a damn poor nation

Pls read https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/061115/googles-revenue-beats-gdp-several-major-countries.asp

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by IkpuMmadu: 6:50am On Jan 05, 2018
Google Nation
If the Google nation declared sovereignty, issued a currency and joined the United Nations tomorrow, where would it rank on a list of the wealthiest countries? It turns out Google's $66 billion revenue plants it squarely at number 70 for the 2014 fiscal year. Only 69 of the nations of the world outrank the Internet-technology giant. While economic superpowers such as the United States and China far outstrip Google, for now, the number of countries with GDPs dwarfed by Google's massive wealth is staggering.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by IkpuMmadu: 6:54am On Jan 05, 2018
EternalTruths:

Afonjas can't swallow their pride in order to learn.

May God keep helping us to build globalized companies while Afonjas hold on tenaciously to Lagos.

Amen

They wouldn't learn
They wouldn't travel
They wouldn't venture out

They would always stay in their region while others would come and have a greater chunk of their economy and they would be shouting sophisticated bup and down ....without showcasing it

I wish them well

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by sevenhundred(m): 7:00am On Jan 05, 2018
IkpuMmadu:

I don't get it....you are missing it....MTN as a firm is even richer than Nigeria in terms of revenue just like google is richer than the whole West African countries put together ....don't get it muddled up....nigeria is a damn poor nation

Pls read https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/061115/googles-revenue-beats-gdp-several-major-countries.asp
try to get it, they were rich simply because their mission is to maximised profits while govt is to provides services and pay salaries, or better still compares their responsibilities to the nation.
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by IkpuMmadu: 7:02am On Jan 05, 2018
sevenhundred:
try to get it, they were rich simply because their mission is to maximised profits while govt is to provides services and pay salaries, or better still compares their responsibilities to the nation.

Dude go abeg I no fit argue with you...did you read the article

Google Nation
If the Google nation declared sovereignty, issued a currency and joined the United Nations tomorrow, where would it rank on a list of the wealthiest countries? It turns out Google's $66 billion revenue plants it squarely at number 70 for the 2014 fiscal year. Only 69 of the nations of the world outrank the Internet-technology giant. While economic superpowers such as the United States and China far outstrip Google, for now, the number of countries with GDPs dwarfed by Google's massive wealth is staggering.
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by maestroferddi: 7:43am On Jan 05, 2018
deomelo:
[s][/s]

I did not ask you for story, I asked you what's there to learn and is this something that other people have not done before or are not doing
right now?

Sorry, the dude over here has a very low tolerance for very slow learners...
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by obaaderemi: 8:12am On Jan 05, 2018
BigIyanga:

What an arrogant display of congenital idiocy.. Naija valuation is her GPD. Stop dashing ignorance for free! Go and collect your money from mumu econs teacher. What a product of jaundiced education always seeing everything thru ethno-religuous prism.
Illiterate, how can GDP be market valuation? GDP for a country is the same as REVENUE for a company because both are made within an annual period. Market valuation on the other hand takes into consideration things such as assets and going-concern in case you want to sell the company or entity. That is why market valuation is usually partitioned into shares. Now go and value the assets of Nigeria and come and tell us Nigeria's market value. grin

3 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by EternalTruths: 8:19am On Jan 05, 2018
sevenhundred:

How many times have I told you that nothing stops Lagos & Nigeria from being as wealthy as Apple Google etc.

Check out what Qatar UAE Norway are doing.

Peter Obi also did that for Anambra state which made the state so wealthy to pay salaries when others couldn't.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by obaaderemi: 8:20am On Jan 05, 2018
EternalTruths:

Cash at hand is the same as Foreign Reserve

Market Value is the same as GDP

So compare and contrast to see that Apple is far richer than Nigeria.
Illiterate, how can GDP be market valuation? GDP
for a country is the same as REVENUE for a
company because both are made within an annual
period. Market valuation on the other hand takes
into consideration things such as assets and going-
concern in case you want to sell the company or
entity. That is why market valuation is usually
partitioned into shares. Now go and value the
assets of Nigeria and come and tell us Nigeria's
market value. grin

5 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by EternalTruths: 8:25am On Jan 05, 2018
obaaderemi:
Illiterate, how can GDP be market valuation? GDP
market value. ;DIlliterate, how can GDP be market valuation? GDP
market value.

I pray your Yoruba people keep ignoring these 2 facts

1) A globalized company can be richer than a country

2) A state or country can increase her wealth through local & foreign investments.

Pls keep fighting these facts while my people keep absorbing and applying it.

Do you know that Peter Obi invested parts of Anambra state wealth which made it possible for the present governor to pay salaries without challenges unlike Osun state.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by obaaderemi: 8:33am On Jan 05, 2018
EternalTruths:

2) A state or country can increase her wealth through local & foreign investments.

Do you know that Peter Obi invested parts of Anambra state wealth which made it possible for the present governor to pay salaries without challenges unlike Osun state.
Thank you for not arguing with me that market value is the same as GDP. Now you've learnt something valuable, go and play. Meanwhile, Globacom,a company founded and owned 100% by s Yoruba man is richer than the 5 IBO States combined. Globacom had a revenue of $1.2bn as far back as 2013. So don't advice Yorubas about investment. grin

8 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by EternalTruths: 8:36am On Jan 05, 2018
obaaderemi:
Thank you for not arguing with me that market value is the same as GDP. Now you've learnt something valuable, go and play. Meanwhile, Globacom,a company founded and owned 100% by s Yoruba man is richer than the 5 IBO States combined. Globacom had a revenue of $1.2bn as far back as 2013. So don't advice Yorubas about investment. grin

I did not argue with you because I know you can never learn.

Pls don't learn so that our descendants can outdo yours.
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by IkpuMmadu: 9:33am On Jan 05, 2018
EternalTruths:

Do you know that Peter Obi invested parts of Anambra state wealth which made it possible for the present governor to pay salaries wi hithout challenges unlike Osun state.

Anambra invested in some south Western States at an interest that's investment
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by EternalTruths: 9:36am On Jan 05, 2018
IkpuMmadu:

Anambra invested in some south Western States at an interest that's investment

Many Afonjas don't know this fact and that is why, I am angry with Obiano for not continuing the policy of investing Anambra's wealth in foreign investments
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by Saintsquare(m): 10:18am On Jan 05, 2018
obaaderemi:
lol see finishing

8 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by GoldNiagara(m): 11:30am On Jan 05, 2018
EternalTruths:

Is Nigeria richer than Apple, BMW, Tesla, Ford, LG, Samsung etc.

Really, riches is not measured only in cash or financial instruments. Now what is the worth of the values of the real and incorporeal assets of this companies and the value assets of these companies. Let give you a scenario, what do you think is the cash value of all the lands in Nigeria.With just a legislation, a country can owe all the lands. Now start your rich comparison from there. How can guys be comparing a state or country to a company.
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by ba7man(m): 11:31am On Jan 05, 2018
Someone should create a topic on the "100 Nigerian companies richer than the 5 South Eastern states put together" to shut these people up.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by GoldNiagara(m): 11:39am On Jan 05, 2018
The 20 Most Valuable Companies In Nigeria
Discussion in 'Health, Lifestyle & Lifeline' started by Temitope, Nov 23, 2014. Views count: 30753
[​IMG]

Discover the 20 most valuable companies in Nigeria. When it comes to how valuable a company is, the market value of the company’s stocks on the Stock Exchange is what is considered. These companies’ stocks are the Blue chip stocks as they are called by stock brokers and analysts. Here are the 20 most valuable companies in Nigeria according to their market values on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange.

Cadbury Nigeria Plc – Market Value: 150.3 billion NGN
First from the rear of the 20 most valuable companies in Nigeria is Cadbury Nigeria Plc, one of the largest food beverage and confectionery producers in Nigeria. Cadbury are the producers of Bournvita, Tom-Tom, Buttermint etc.

Union Bank of Nigeria Plc – Market Value: 168.9 billion NGN
Union Bank is one of the oldest financial institutions in Nigeria. A full-service commercial bank, UBN provides services in business banking, personal banking, treasury services, and commercial lending. Although many think Union Bank is one of the old fashioned banks in Nigeria, however they still found their way in the 20 most valuable companies in Nigeria by market value.

Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc – Market Value: 186.1 billion NGN
The 54 year old company is a forerunner in wheat milling in Nigeria. Popularly known for its brand, Golden Penny remains one of the most preferred brands among bakers, confectioneries and consumers in Nigeria. Flour Mills has a milling capacity of over 8000 metric tons per day, which is one of the largest single site mills in the world.

Transcorp Nig Plc– Market Value: 195.5 billion NGN
Transcorp is a leading diversified conglomerate in Nigeria. The company focuses on acquiring and managing strategic businesses for long term shareholder returns and socio-economic impact. Transcorp operates on four strategic sectors: Power, Oil and Gas, Hospitality and Agriculture.

Unilever Nigeria Plc – Market Value: 204.3 billion NGN
Originally known as Lever Brothers Plc, the eighty-year old Unilever has been quoted as a public liability company on the Nigerian Stock Exchange since 1973. The long term success of Unilever Plc is a product of consumer based deep roots in the local culture and markets. Unilever produces food and beverages as well as home and personal care products.

Access Bank Plc – Market Value: 218.5 billion NGN
Access Bank Plc, a full service commercial bank operates through a network of about 366 branches across Nigeria and beyond. Access Bank organizes its main business activities along four customer segments namely: Corporate and Investment Banking, Commercial Banking, Business Banking and Personal and Private Banking.

Forte Oil – Market Value: 222.9 billion NGN
Forte is a foremost indigenous major marketer of refined petroleum products. They are spread across the thirty-six states of Nigeria including the FCT. Forte Oil has over 500 retail outlets in Nigeria and operates majorly in the midstream sector of the oil and gas industry in Nigeria. They also offer a wide range of consumer products from the oil value chain; PMS, diesel, aviation fuel, kerosene, gas and lubricant. Femi Otedola is the chairman of Forte Oil.

UBA Group – Market Value: 253.9 billion NGN
UBA is one of the foremost financial institutions in Nigeria. The bank is spread extensively across Nigeria and the continent of Africa. UBA is poised to facilitating inter and intra African trade and also be the pivot for inflow of investment capital into Africa. The bank is led by Tony Elumelu who is the current Chairman and Philips Oduoza, GMD/CEO.

OANDO – Market Value: 259.4 billion NGN
Oando Plc is one of Africa’s largest integrated solution providers. The OANDO Group comprises six companies providing quality services in Exploration and Production, Energy Services, Gas and Power and Downstream supplies. OANDO Plc is led by Wale Tinubu, the Group Chief Executive.

Stanbic IBTC Holdings Plc– Market Value: 260 billion NGN
Stanbic IBTC Bank is one of the leading financial institutions in Nigeria with a wide range of personal and commercial banking products offered in over 180 branches nationwide. Stanbic is a financial service group which operates with a clear focus on three main business pillars – Corporate and Investment Banking, Personal and Business Banking and Wealth Management.

Ecobank Transnational Incorporated– Market Value: 269.4 billion NGN
Ecobank Transnational Incorporated is an independent regional banking company in West Africa. ETI provides wholesale, retail, investment and transaction banking products and services to government agencies, multinationals, corporate organizations, SMEs and individuals.

Guinness Nigeria– Market Value: 301.8 billion NGN
Guinness Nigeria is an iconic African company renowned internationally for its brands of unmatched quality. Guinness has been on the Nigerian Stock Exchange since 1965. They produce beverages such as Foreign Extra Stout, Malta Guinness, Harp, Smirnoff etc.

LAFARGE WAPCO– Market Value: 333.2 billion NGN
LAFARGE is a global figure in the production of building materials. Owned by the Lafarge Group, Lafarge extracts resources from the earth to make materials. Lafarge is committed to making the best cement and concrete solution available in all parts of Nigeria. Lafarge group are also the owners of AshakaCem Plc and UNICEM Calabar.

SEPLAT Petroleum– Market Value: 387.3 billion NGN
SEPLAT Petroleum Development Company is an indigenous company which is leading many other companies in Nigeria in oil and gas exploration and development. SEPLAT is listed on both the London Stock Exchange and Nigerian Stock Exchange. SEPLAT was formed in 2009 by two Nigerian E & P companies (Shebah E & P and Platform Petroleum Limited).

First Bank Plc– Market Value: 509.1 billion NGN
First Bank as the name implies is the very first in Nigeria. The Bank is still one of the leading financial institutions in Nigeria. First Bank has been ranked among the top 500 most valuable banking brand in the world. Their success is attributed to dynamism, introduction of new products and excellent customer service delivery.

Zenith Bank– Market Value: 786.5 billion NGN
Founded by Jim Ovia in 1990, Zenith Bank is one of the leading financial institutions in Africa. The bank has thrived over the years on its cultures of strong values, brand equity, professionalism and service excellence which have distinguished the bank among its peers.

Guaranty Trust Bank Plc.– Market Value: 852 billion NGN
GT Bank is no doubt one of the financial institutions in Nigeria with the highest customer base. GTB has over 10,000 people in its workforce in Nigeria and other African countries. The corporate banking bias and strong service culture of GTB have been the key factor in the consistent growth of the company.
Nestle Plc.– Market Value: 911.6 billion NGN
Nestle Plc are makers of food and beverage products including Maggi®, Milo®, Golden Morn®, Cerelac® etc. Nestle has two main factories in Nigeria and six others in other West African countries. Beyond West Africa, Nestle is also found in several parts of the world.

Nigerian Breweries– Market Value: 1,300.7 billion NGN
Nigerian Breweries Plc is the pioneer and largest brewing company in Nigeria. Nigeria Breweries has eight operational breweries in different parts of Nigeria where its beverages are produced and distributed to all parts of the country.

Dangote Cement – Market Value: 4,089.7 billion NGN
Dangote cement is the most valuable company in Nigeria. It is a fully integrated cement company, operating in Nigeria and 14 other African countries. Dangote cement is said to be the only Nigerian company on the Forbes Global 2000 companies. Dangote Cement is owned by Dangote Group.
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24,

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by obaaderemi: 3:39pm On Jan 05, 2018
EternalTruths:

I did not argue with you because I know you can never learn.

Pls don't learn so that our descendants can outdo yours.
grin There is nothing to learn from a biapig who can not differentiate between Mtn group and Mtn Nigeria and who thinks market valuation=GDP. By the way Yoruba will continue to have an upper hand over ibos as long as you continue to flock to Yoruba land.

7 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by BigIyanga: 4:03pm On Jan 05, 2018
sevenhundred:
it seem you don't understand a simple economics logic, for instance all the money Nigeria govt makes in a year was not used to pay salaries, construct or provides amenities buy weapon etc, the govt only investing the money every year can you imagine the turnover? because those company GDP rose to that level because they invested their money for profit making only.
You are the fool here. All the funds Naija govt makes in a year are captured in the budget.. about $25bn, this is also the amount of money Naija folks living in diaspora send to Naija. Naija govt is borrowing 60% of that to fund budget for RECEX and CAPEX!
Apple has $250b on hand, which us 10x what Naija spends.
Stop brandishing your unbridled ignorance!!

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by obaaderemi: 5:01pm On Jan 05, 2018
GoldNiagara:
The 20 Most Valuable Companies In Nigeria
Discussion in 'Health, Lifestyle & Lifeline' started by Temitope, Nov 23, 2014. Views count: 30753
[​IMG]

Discover the 20 most valuable companies in Nigeria. When it comes to how valuable a company is, the market value of the company’s stocks on the Stock Exchange is what is considered. These companies’ stocks are the Blue chip stocks as they are called by stock brokers and analysts. Here are the 20 most valuable companies in Nigeria according to their market values on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange.

Cadbury Nigeria Plc – Market Value: 150.3 billion NGN
First from the rear of the 20 most valuable companies in Nigeria is Cadbury Nigeria Plc, one of the largest food beverage and confectionery producers in Nigeria. Cadbury are the producers of Bournvita, Tom-Tom, Buttermint etc.

Union Bank of Nigeria Plc – Market Value: 168.9 billion NGN
Union Bank is one of the oldest financial institutions in Nigeria. A full-service commercial bank, UBN provides services in business banking, personal banking, treasury services, and commercial lending. Although many think Union Bank is one of the old fashioned banks in Nigeria, however they still found their way in the 20 most valuable companies in Nigeria by market value.

Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc – Market Value: 186.1 billion NGN
The 54 year old company is a forerunner in wheat milling in Nigeria. Popularly known for its brand, Golden Penny remains one of the most preferred brands among bakers, confectioneries and consumers in Nigeria. Flour Mills has a milling capacity of over 8000 metric tons per day, which is one of the largest single site mills in the world.

Transcorp Nig Plc– Market Value: 195.5 billion NGN
Transcorp is a leading diversified conglomerate in Nigeria. The company focuses on acquiring and managing strategic businesses for long term shareholder returns and socio-economic impact. Transcorp operates on four strategic sectors: Power, Oil and Gas, Hospitality and Agriculture.

Unilever Nigeria Plc – Market Value: 204.3 billion NGN
Originally known as Lever Brothers Plc, the eighty-year old Unilever has been quoted as a public liability company on the Nigerian Stock Exchange since 1973. The long term success of Unilever Plc is a product of consumer based deep roots in the local culture and markets. Unilever produces food and beverages as well as home and personal care products.

Access Bank Plc – Market Value: 218.5 billion NGN
Access Bank Plc, a full service commercial bank operates through a network of about 366 branches across Nigeria and beyond. Access Bank organizes its main business activities along four customer segments namely: Corporate and Investment Banking, Commercial Banking, Business Banking and Personal and Private Banking.

Forte Oil – Market Value: 222.9 billion NGN
Forte is a foremost indigenous major marketer of refined petroleum products. They are spread across the thirty-six states of Nigeria including the FCT. Forte Oil has over 500 retail outlets in Nigeria and operates majorly in the midstream sector of the oil and gas industry in Nigeria. They also offer a wide range of consumer products from the oil value chain; PMS, diesel, aviation fuel, kerosene, gas and lubricant. Femi Otedola is the chairman of Forte Oil.

UBA Group – Market Value: 253.9 billion NGN
UBA is one of the foremost financial institutions in Nigeria. The bank is spread extensively across Nigeria and the continent of Africa. UBA is poised to facilitating inter and intra African trade and also be the pivot for inflow of investment capital into Africa. The bank is led by Tony Elumelu who is the current Chairman and Philips Oduoza, GMD/CEO.

OANDO – Market Value: 259.4 billion NGN
Oando Plc is one of Africa’s largest integrated solution providers. The OANDO Group comprises six companies providing quality services in Exploration and Production, Energy Services, Gas and Power and Downstream supplies. OANDO Plc is led by Wale Tinubu, the Group Chief Executive.

Stanbic IBTC Holdings Plc– Market Value: 260 billion NGN
Stanbic IBTC Bank is one of the leading financial institutions in Nigeria with a wide range of personal and commercial banking products offered in over 180 branches nationwide. Stanbic is a financial service group which operates with a clear focus on three main business pillars – Corporate and Investment Banking, Personal and Business Banking and Wealth Management.

Ecobank Transnational Incorporated– Market Value: 269.4 billion NGN
Ecobank Transnational Incorporated is an independent regional banking company in West Africa. ETI provides wholesale, retail, investment and transaction banking products and services to government agencies, multinationals, corporate organizations, SMEs and individuals.

Guinness Nigeria– Market Value: 301.8 billion NGN
Guinness Nigeria is an iconic African company renowned internationally for its brands of unmatched quality. Guinness has been on the Nigerian Stock Exchange since 1965. They produce beverages such as Foreign Extra Stout, Malta Guinness, Harp, Smirnoff etc.

LAFARGE WAPCO– Market Value: 333.2 billion NGN
LAFARGE is a global figure in the production of building materials. Owned by the Lafarge Group, Lafarge extracts resources from the earth to make materials. Lafarge is committed to making the best cement and concrete solution available in all parts of Nigeria. Lafarge group are also the owners of AshakaCem Plc and UNICEM Calabar.

SEPLAT Petroleum– Market Value: 387.3 billion NGN
SEPLAT Petroleum Development Company is an indigenous company which is leading many other companies in Nigeria in oil and gas exploration and development. SEPLAT is listed on both the London Stock Exchange and Nigerian Stock Exchange. SEPLAT was formed in 2009 by two Nigerian E & P companies (Shebah E & P and Platform Petroleum Limited).

First Bank Plc– Market Value: 509.1 billion NGN
First Bank as the name implies is the very first in Nigeria. The Bank is still one of the leading financial institutions in Nigeria. First Bank has been ranked among the top 500 most valuable banking brand in the world. Their success is attributed to dynamism, introduction of new products and excellent customer service delivery.

Zenith Bank– Market Value: 786.5 billion NGN
Founded by Jim Ovia in 1990, Zenith Bank is one of the leading financial institutions in Africa. The bank has thrived over the years on its cultures of strong values, brand equity, professionalism and service excellence which have distinguished the bank among its peers.

Guaranty Trust Bank Plc.– Market Value: 852 billion NGN
GT Bank is no doubt one of the financial institutions in Nigeria with the highest customer base. GTB has over 10,000 people in its workforce in Nigeria and other African countries. The corporate banking bias and strong service culture of GTB have been the key factor in the consistent growth of the company.
Nestle Plc.– Market Value: 911.6 billion NGN
Nestle Plc are makers of food and beverage products including Maggi®, Milo®, Golden Morn®, Cerelac® etc. Nestle has two main factories in Nigeria and six others in other West African countries. Beyond West Africa, Nestle is also found in several parts of the world.

Nigerian Breweries– Market Value: 1,300.7 billion NGN
Nigerian Breweries Plc is the pioneer and largest brewing company in Nigeria. Nigeria Breweries has eight operational breweries in different parts of Nigeria where its beverages are produced and distributed to all parts of the country.

Dangote Cement – Market Value: 4,089.7 billion NGN
Dangote cement is the most valuable company in Nigeria. It is a fully integrated cement company, operating in Nigeria and 14 other African countries. Dangote cement is said to be the only Nigerian company on the Forbes Global 2000 companies. Dangote Cement is owned by Dangote Group.
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24,
Chaii,even gtb is richer than zenith.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by BigIyanga: 5:33pm On Jan 05, 2018
GoldNiagara:

Really, riches is not measured only in cash or financial instruments. Now what is the worth of the values of the real and incorporeal assets of this companies and the value assets of these companies. Let give you a scenario, what do you think is the cash value of all the lands in Nigeria.With just a legislation, a country can owe all the lands. Now start your rich comparison from there. How can guys be comparing a state or country to a company.
GDP is what a country or state’s agregate economy is worth. This is what Naija uses to borrow from intl lenders or when soliciting for intl investment.

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by BigIyanga: 5:39pm On Jan 05, 2018
obaaderemi:
Stop talking nonsense. Countries and states use GPD while companies use valuation! Apple is richer than Naija in all economic metrics used.
Naija uses its GDP valuation to borrow from intl lenders and or when courting intl investors. Companies use their market valuation to borrow and court investors.
You need some rudimentary lessons in economics!!

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by obaaderemi: 6:02pm On Jan 05, 2018
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by obaaderemi: 7:12pm On Jan 05, 2018
BigIyanga:

Stop talking nonsense. Countries and states use GPD while companies use valuation! Apple is richer than Naija in all economic metrics used.
Naija uses its GDP valuation to borrow from intl lenders and or when courting intl investors. Companies use their market valuation to borrow and court investors.
You need some rudimentary lessons in economics!!
What the helll is GPD? The first time you wrote it I thought it was a typo error. Now I know it's useless trying to lecture you and your cohorts. You know nothing about wealth of nations.I wonder the village school you went to. By the way, the assets of a nation include its natural resources, human resources, capital and other things which can be used to create other assets in future. You see why it's silly for you to compare a company and a country like Nigeria with vast human and natural resources. Read the article below to realize how foolish and ignorant you and your fellow IBO brothers have been...it's long BT if you really want to learn, take your time to read it and stop your hatred of Yorubas.

SEP 28, 2013 @ 10:16 AM
Bill Gates Is Not Richer
Than 140 Nations
Tim Worstall , CONTRIBUTOR
FULL BIO
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their
own.
This meme is doing the rounds again and
I'm afraid that it's simply not true. It's the
sorry product of not understanding what
wealth actually is.
Or on another site , that if Gates were an
independent nation he would be the 37 th
richest on the planet.
The starting point for the comparison is of
course the Forbes 400, right here at this
magazine :
From there the leap is made over to the
list of countries by GDP and if we count
the number of countries with a GDP less
than the wealth of Bill Gates we can,
depending upon exactly which list
compiled by which means, count 140
countries that are poorer than Bill Gates.
Hurrah! and so a meme is born.
However, as the Bleeding Heart
Libertarians point out, this isn't actually
correct .
And so to try and explain why this
comparison just doesn't work in the
necessary detail.
The first and most essential point to make
is that wealth is a stock . This is the total
pile of stuff that is owned by the person
or nation. Here the measurement about
Gates is indeed that stock. What's the
total value (minus any debts) of
everything that he's got? Sure, it's a big
number but it is indeed a measure of the
stock. On the other hand, the GDP of a
country is not a measurement of a stock,
it's the measurement of a flow. GDP is the
income (or more precisely, the value
added in the economy, but this should,
for technical reasons, be the same as total
income with some adjustments) in that
country in that year.
As the BHLs point out, comparing a stock
with a flow is wrong, just as wrong as
comparing Gates' wealth with Warren
Buffett's income would be.
Which means that we'd like to try and
find a way to compare the wealth of
Gates, his stock, with the wealth of
nations (hmm, didn't someone write a
book about that once?) rather than the
income of them. Our problem here is that
we don't really have good statistics on the
wealth of nations. The root cause is, I
think, that as most places don't tax wealth
(but do tax incomes) we don't have
anyone really motivated to go count up
all the things that all the citizens of a
nation own: although they're pretty hot on
checking all our incomes for the same
reason. There are some attempts though
and we can see a few here.
Those estimates are still pretty inaccurate
though. A rough guide is that the total
wealth of the US is in the $60 to $70
trillion range. That's the stock off which
we create the roughly $15 trillion of
income or GDP each year. It's inaccurate
for two reasons, the first being that we're
just not measuring value very well.
What's the value of equity in a private
corporation for example? Of a painting in
a museum that will never come to
market? It's also inaccurate because
there's a lot of things we leave out. We
don't count the education and human
capital of the population for example. Nor
do we count the value of the institutions,
the laws and systems: but we all know
that they're very valuable indeed as we
also know that they're the major
determinants of how much income the
country can produce in any one year. And
yes, the value of a stock is indeed usually
determined by the income that can be
generated from that stock over time.
But within these limitations we can still
forge ahead, as long as we accept that
we're becoming ever more inaccurate in
our numbers. We've two different ways
that we can work now. One would be to
look at those US wealth and GDP
numbers, the $60 trillion and the $15
trillion and say that a nation seems to
make about 25% of its wealth as GDP. We
can then run this back the other way
around and say that for those countries
without wealth numbers we'll guess that
stock as being about 4x the GDP, a
number we do know. That's one way and
I think it would grievously under-estimate
the wealth of nations for the reasons I
give above about human capital and so
on.
So I'd prefer to use the other possible
method, which is to ascribe some
reasonable earnings percentage to Gate's
stock of wealth and then compare that to
the GDP of countries. Say Gates gets 6%
income from his wealth each year (by no
means an accurate number but we've got
to estimate something here) which would
give him an income of about $4 billion.
We can go back to our list of countries
and their GDP and see which have one
lower than $4 billion a year. That would
indicate that Gates is richer than about 40
countries, starting at Swaziland and
moving on down to variously smaller and
poorer places. Note that that's richer than
the individual countries, not them all
added together.
And that's where we end up. Yes, Bill
Gates is most certainly richer than some
countries. Mainly small and or poor ones,
obviously. But he's most certainly not
richer than 140 different countries
cumulatively, and he's not even richer
than 140 of them individually. And the
reason for the difference between the
numbers originally claimed and the ones
I've used here is simply that GDP is the
income for a country in any one year
which we simply cannot compare against
the wealth, the stock, of any one country,
company or person.https://www.forbes.com/
Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by BigIyanga: 7:56pm On Jan 05, 2018
obaaderemi:
What the helll is GPD? The first time you wrote it I thought it was a typo error. Now I know it's useless trying to lecture you and your cohorts. You know nothing about wealth of nations.I wonder the village school you went to. By the way, the assets of a nation include its natural resources, human resources, capital and other things which can be used to create other assets in future. You see why it's silly for you to compare a company and a country like Nigeria with vast human and natural resources. Read the article below to realize how foolish and ignorant you and your fellow IBO brothers have been...it's long BT if you really want to learn, take your time to read it and stop your hatred of Yorubas.

SEP 28, 2013 @ 10:16 AM
Bill Gates Is Not Richer
Than 140 Nations
Tim Worstall , CONTRIBUTOR
FULL BIO
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their
own.
This meme is doing the rounds again and
I'm afraid that it's simply not true. It's the
sorry product of not understanding what
wealth actually is.
Or on another site , that if Gates were an
independent nation he would be the 37 th
richest on the planet.
The starting point for the comparison is of
course the Forbes 400, right here at this
magazine :
From there the leap is made over to the
list of countries by GDP and if we count
the number of countries with a GDP less
than the wealth of Bill Gates we can,
depending upon exactly which list
compiled by which means, count 140
countries that are poorer than Bill Gates.
Hurrah! and so a meme is born.
However, as the Bleeding Heart
Libertarians point out, this isn't actually
correct .
And so to try and explain why this
comparison just doesn't work in the
necessary detail.
The first and most essential point to make
is that wealth is a stock . This is the total
pile of stuff that is owned by the person
or nation. Here the measurement about
Gates is indeed that stock. What's the
total value (minus any debts) of
everything that he's got? Sure, it's a big
number but it is indeed a measure of the
stock. On the other hand, the GDP of a
country is not a measurement of a stock,
it's the measurement of a flow. GDP is the
income (or more precisely, the value
added in the economy, but this should,
for technical reasons, be the same as total
income with some adjustments) in that
country in that year.
As the BHLs point out, comparing a stock
with a flow is wrong, just as wrong as
comparing Gates' wealth with Warren
Buffett's income would be.
Which means that we'd like to try and
find a way to compare the wealth of
Gates, his stock, with the wealth of
nations (hmm, didn't someone write a
book about that once?) rather than the
income of them. Our problem here is that
we don't really have good statistics on the
wealth of nations. The root cause is, I
think, that as most places don't tax wealth
(but do tax incomes) we don't have
anyone really motivated to go count up
all the things that all the citizens of a
nation own: although they're pretty hot on
checking all our incomes for the same
reason. There are some attempts though
and we can see a few here.
Those estimates are still pretty inaccurate
though. A rough guide is that the total
wealth of the US is in the $60 to $70
trillion range. That's the stock off which
we create the roughly $15 trillion of
income or GDP each year. It's inaccurate
for two reasons, the first being that we're
just not measuring value very well.
What's the value of equity in a private
corporation for example? Of a painting in
a museum that will never come to
market? It's also inaccurate because
there's a lot of things we leave out. We
don't count the education and human
capital of the population for example. Nor
do we count the value of the institutions,
the laws and systems: but we all know
that they're very valuable indeed as we
also know that they're the major
determinants of how much income the
country can produce in any one year. And
yes, the value of a stock is indeed usually
determined by the income that can be
generated from that stock over time.
But within these limitations we can still
forge ahead, as long as we accept that
we're becoming ever more inaccurate in
our numbers. We've two different ways
that we can work now. One would be to
look at those US wealth and GDP
numbers, the $60 trillion and the $15
trillion and say that a nation seems to
make about 25% of its wealth as GDP. We
can then run this back the other way
around and say that for those countries
without wealth numbers we'll guess that
stock as being about 4x the GDP, a
number we do know. That's one way and
I think it would grievously under-estimate
the wealth of nations for the reasons I
give above about human capital and so
on.
So I'd prefer to use the other possible
method, which is to ascribe some
reasonable earnings percentage to Gate's
stock of wealth and then compare that to
the GDP of countries. Say Gates gets 6%
income from his wealth each year (by no
means an accurate number but we've got
to estimate something here) which would
give him an income of about $4 billion.
We can go back to our list of countries
and their GDP and see which have one
lower than $4 billion a year. That would
indicate that Gates is richer than about 40
countries, starting at Swaziland and
moving on down to variously smaller and
poorer places. Note that that's richer than
the individual countries, not them all
added together.
And that's where we end up. Yes, Bill
Gates is most certainly richer than some
countries. Mainly small and or poor ones,
obviously. But he's most certainly not
richer than 140 different countries
cumulatively, and he's not even richer
than 140 of them individually. And the
reason for the difference between
numbers originally claimed and the ones
I've used here is simply that GDP is the
income for a country in any one year
which we simply cannot compare against
the wealth, the stock, of any one country,
company or person.https://www.forbes.com/
Another copy and post from a zombie without encephalon.
Zombie Folks like you that you can make up stuff in order to make u feel good that Naija is a rich country...Japan does doesnt have mineral resources, but it’s one of the top 5 richest countries in the world.. how come?

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by deomelo: 8:17pm On Jan 05, 2018
BigIyanga:

Another copy and post from a zombie without encephalon.
Zombie Folks like you that you can make up stuff in order to make u feel good that Naija is a rich country...Japan does doesnt have mineral resources, but it’s one of the top 5 richest countries in the world.. how come?

Funny when ignore and unintelligent ipob zombies call other people Zombie...

Wonders shall never end. grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Nigerian Companies Bigger And Richer Than Lagos and Ogun State by Blue3k(m): 8:37pm On Jan 05, 2018
This thread was nuked in record time. Everyone had to shift goal post to argue about different companies op listes.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"If You Don’t Work With Me, You Can’t Eat With Me" - Segun Oni Tells APC Members / Hassan Bello: Ibadan Dry Port To Gulp N35.7bn / Ekiti 2022: Segun Oni Obtains PDP Governorship Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.