Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,449 members, 7,843,369 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us (5940 Views)

No Ex-govt Official Should Leave Nigeria After May 29 – Yayale / Buhari Jets To London With Diezani On Board / Photos From PDP Presidential Campaign Rally in Sokoto, As Jonathan Visits Sultan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 4:18pm On Apr 09, 2010
You people just cracking me up
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nigerd(m): 4:41pm On Apr 09, 2010
edoyad:

Hope a letter has been written to the senate to that effect incase Jonathan has to remain in hospital there.

Just shut dt mouth
Nothing dey Happen
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 4:53pm On Apr 09, 2010
^^^ Never say never
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 09, 2010
I hope patience is not travelling with him because of her likeness of money-laundering.as acting first lady,i guessed she will use her immunity to smuggle dollars into the US but hope,she doesnt get caught
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 5:00pm On Apr 09, 2010
She will be patient
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

She will be patient
how are you sure she will be patient when the husband himself seems confused.if not,why would he handover to yayale when david mark is there.has he forgotten the order of principalities.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 5:10pm On Apr 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

how are you sure she will be patient when the husband himself seems confused.if not,why would he handover to yayale when david mark is there.has he forgotten the order of principalities.

Who would trust David mark with power?
Sometimes, you gotta do what is best for you and the office you hold . . . I am not saying Yayale is better oh, but Mark aint any better
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 5:14pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Sometimes, you gotta do what is best for you and the office you hold . . . I am not saying Yayale is better oh, but Mark aint any better

His hold on power would simply be to prepare for the next president actually. I think 3 months. But here is the problem, we still have that mentality where we have people thinking power is about the persons and not really the office. Yes, mark may not be the best but it is office that we gave him that gives him access to it. If we did not think him worthy, why give him the office in the first place?
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by misterh(m): 5:20pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

You people just cracking me up
NL just dey make me laff. grin cheesy
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 5:21pm On Apr 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

His hold on power would simply be to prepare for the next president actually. I think 3 months. But here is the problem, we still have that mentality where we have people thinking power is about the persons and not really the office. Yes, mark may not be the best but it is office that we gave him that gives him access to it. If we did not think him worthy, why give him the office in the first place?

Yes, it is about the office, the officer in the office cld make a mess of the office.
Does the name yaradua rings a bell . . . . . ?
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 5:23pm On Apr 09, 2010
misterh:

NL just dey make me laff. grin cheesy

Nairaland sometimes reminds me of how i used to sit at the front of the house looking at how people with tie are running into the bus through the window, and i just laff, so this is a place to come and laff when you tired.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 09, 2010
folks the situation that requires power to be transfered to the Senate President never happens out of anybody's volition, it is only needed in extreme conditions such as impeachment, death, resignation.

You can not transfer power from executive arm of Government to legislature without circumstances requiring it.

Travelling abroad for official Government Business is not one of those circumstances.

So nothing in this debate has anything to do with anybody's perception of the antecedents of David Mark.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 5:31pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Yes, it is about the office, the officer in the office cld make a mess of the office.
Does the name yaradua rings a bell . . . . . ?

You mean your now PRESIDENT?

Yar adua did not make a mess of the Office. He used the office as we allowed him. The Constitution is there to spell out what needs to be done in any case. We didn't take advantage of it; in fact it seems there are no plans to take advantage of the constitution in this. Do you realize how many times citizens, even Northerners have called for, and even requested that the man be removed/punished for what he did? Why are these calls continually brushed aside?

My point is if Mark were to hold the seat, the constitution ought to stipulate on how long he can and how a handover should take place, and it does. So no matter what his personal desires are, what should stand at the end of the day is what the constitution allows. But because we continue to go against the constitution in the name of upholding the constitution, I see it is possible that anyone can essentially flout the law without consequence.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 09, 2010
Reptyle:

Lets hope Turai and her lackeys don't find a way of revoking his citizenship while he is away grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 5:45pm On Apr 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

You mean your now PRESIDENT?

Yar adua did not make a mess of the Office. He used the office as we allowed him. The Constitution is there to spell out what needs to be done in any case. We didn't take advantage of it; in fact it seems there are no plans to take advantage of the constitution in this. Do you realize how many times citizens, even Northerners have called for, and even requested that the man be removed/punished for what he did? Why are these calls continually brushed aside?

My point is if Mark were to hold the seat, the constitution ought to stipulate on how long he can and how a handover should take place, and it does. So no matter what his personal desires are, what should stand at the end of the day is what the constitution allows. But because we continue to go against the constitution in the name of upholding the constitution, I see it is possible that anyone can essentially flout the law without consequence.

Trust me, my biggest Political Analyst of the year, you are so so right, however, since we have no rule of law nor have a clear vission of how to make things run, i will not advice anyone to let Mark run anything.
Under normal circumstances, where there are constitution and not "selfish" laws, Mark could hang on to the mantle while the head is not around, but since we dont have that, what do we do.
BTW . . . have so much respect for your analysis, keep it coming.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Sometimes, you gotta do what is best for you and the office you hold . . .  I am not saying Yayale is better oh, but Mark aint any better

if you cant justify david mark to be the next person worthy of acting in the absence of jonathan,then i see no reason why we should blame yaradua for not handing over to jonatha.it is constitutional of jonathan to handover to david mark and not yayale.there is an order of power:
president
vice-president
senate president
speaker house of reps etc
there is no justification for goodluck not to handover to mark
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 5:56pm On Apr 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

[b]if you cant justify david mark to be the next person worthy of acting in the absence of jonathan,then i see no reason why we should blame yaradua for not handing over to jonatha.i[/b]t is constitutional of jonathan to handover to david mark and not yayale.there is an order of power:
president
vice-president
senate president

You know what, for the first time, i agree i lost the argument . . . . You have a point and i shd practice what i blv i preach.
Thanks for that point
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 6:01pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Trust me, my biggest Political Analyst of the year, you are so so right, however, since we have no rule of law nor have a clear vission of how to make things run, i will not advice anyone to let Mark run anything.
Under normal circumstances, where there are constitution and not "selfish" laws, Mark could hang on to the mantle while the head is not around, but since we dont have that, what do we do.
BTW . . . have so much respect for your analysis, keep it coming.

Thanks for the vote of confidence . . . much appreciated.

Now, on the Mark issue, I believe @Bluetooth said it right.

The ONLY way we can have rule of law is if we start respecting the constitution. And not until we start doing that can we close up the many loopholes out there for the chaos we continue to have.

I am 1000% anti-sharia and anti-rotational government but I believe the only way we can get to a point where all that language can be removed from our books is if we OBEY what we have in the book today. Playing along ethnic and religious lines and cheering on moves that are anti-constitution is not helping us.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 6:04pm On Apr 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Thanks for the vote of confidence . . . much appreciated.

Now, on the Mark issue, I believe @Bluetooth said it right.

The ONLY way we can have rule of law is if we start respecting the constitution. And not until we start doing that can we close up the many loopholes out there for the chaos we continue to have.

I am 1000% anti-sharia and anti-rotational government but I believe the only way we can get to a point where all that language can be removed from our books is if we OBEY what we have in the book today. Playing along ethnic and religious lines and cheering on moves that are anti-constitution is not helping us.

Very true and that was why i admitted above that he was right . . . . . . .
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by DrKnow1(m): 6:04pm On Apr 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

if you cant justify david mark to be the next person worthy of acting in the absence of jonathan,then i see no reason why we should blame yaradua for not handing over to jonatha.it is constitutional of jonathan to handover to david mark and not yayale.there is an order of power:
president
vice-president
senate president

I think you are very ignorant of the workings of a democratic system of government if you can't differentiate between executive role and a legislative role. David Mark cannot be a legislator and at the same time assume the role of executive. So if you don't know how the system works its better you shut up.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Apr 09, 2010
Dr Know:

I think you are very ignorant of the workings of a democratic system of government if you can't differentiate between executive role and a legislative role. David Mark cannot be a legislator and at the same time assume the role of executive. So if you don't know how the system works its better you shut up.

May I suggest you visit your country's constitution to learn the facts of your own Democracy? David Mark's office is on the list.

146. (1) The Vice-President shall hold the office of President if the office of President becomes vacant by reason of death or resignation, impeachment, permanent incapacity or the removal of the President from office for any other reason in accordance with section 143 of this Constitution.

(2) Where any vacancy occurs in the circumstances mentioned in subsection (1) of this section during a period when the office of Vice-President is also vacant, the President of the Senate shall hold the office of President for a period of not more than three months, during which there shall be an election of a new President, who shall hold office for the unexpired term of office of the last holder of the office.

(3) Where the office of Vice-President becomes vacant:-

(a) by reason of death or resignation, impeachment, permanent incapacity or removal in accordance with section 143 or 144 of this Constitution;

(b) by his assumption of the office of President in accordance with subsection (1) of this section; or

(c) for any other reason,

the President shall nominate and, with the approval of each House of the National Assembly, appoint a new Vice-President.

Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 6:09pm On Apr 09, 2010
Dr Know:

Contrary to what you saying . . . Bluetooth is very right.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by DrKnow1(m): 6:14pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Contrary to what you saying . . . Bluetooth is very right.

That Mark should assume an executive role without resignation from the Senate? I think you are all ignorant of the constitution. We are not talking about hierachy in the echelon of power in case of calamity befalling the top man, we are talking about someone to take charge of running the affairs of the nation while he is away.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 09, 2010
Both of Bluetooth and Dr Know are right in different contexts.

If Jonathan dies, resigns or gets impeached then Senate President David Mark takes over for 3 months and for this Bluetooth is right.

But you can not ask the Senate President to run the country in Jonathan's stead because he is of legislature and that will undermine separation of power which is the point Dr. Know is making.

Now that Jonathan is well, has not resigned and has not been impeached. Power resides in the executive arm of Government. Jonathan has not handed over to Yayale, he has simply delegated Executive Authority to Yayale based on section 5 of the constition.

People should not be confused about these things even though I know its a little complicated.

5. (1) Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, the executive powers of the Federation:

(a) shall be vested in the President and may subject as aforesaid and to the provisions of any law made by the National Assembly, be exercised by him either directly or through the Vice-President and Ministers of the Government of the Federation or officers in the public service of the Federation; and

(b) shall extend to the execution and maintenance of this Constitution, all laws made by the National Assembly and to all matters with respect to which the National Assembly has, for the time being, power to make laws.

Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 6:20pm On Apr 09, 2010
Dr Know:

That Mark should assume an executive role without resignation from the Senate? I think you are all ignorant of the constitution. We are not talking about hierachy in the echelon of power in case of calamity befalling the top man, we are talking about someone to take charge of running the affairs of the nation while he is away.

A president should hand over to the VP in case of anything
A VP shd hand over to the Senate Presido, incase of anything . . . . But for a period of time and not indefinite
That is our constitution
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

A president should hand over to the VP in case of anything
A VP shd hand over to the Senate Presido, incase of anything . . . . But for a period of time and not indefinite
That is our constitution

Can you please quote what section of the constitution you are talking about?
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 6:28pm On Apr 09, 2010
Dr Know:

No one mention his NOT RESIGNING. It is in the constitution that he would have to resign from the one post to assume the other. We are talking about hierarchy here, and about how the person ought not to matter when we are dealing with the office!
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by DrKnow1(m): 6:35pm On Apr 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

No one mention his NOT RESIGNING. It is in the constitution that he would have to resign from the one post to assume the other. We are talking about hierarchy here, and about how the person ought not to matter when we are dealing with the office!

So according to you, the Acting President is travelling out for one week, the Senate President should resign from his current post and assume the role of the Acting President. I think you need to enrol in an evening class to broaden your sense of logical thinking.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 6:37pm On Apr 09, 2010
Dr Know:

So according to you, the Acting President is travelling out for one week, the Senate President should resign from his current post and assume the role of the Acting President. I think you need to enrol in an evening class to broaden your knowledge of logical thinking.

they are reading sections of the constitution in isolation

watch the next moment they will start calling for constitutional review
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by DrKnow1(m): 6:43pm On Apr 09, 2010
mikeansy:

they are reading sections of the constitution in isolation

watch the next moment they will start calling for constitutional review

The unfortunate thing is that we have the same type of people reasoning the same way representing us in the National Assembly. Too bad
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 6:44pm On Apr 09, 2010
Dr Know:

So[b] according to you[/b], the Acting President is travelling out for one week, the Senate President should resign from his current post and assume the role of the Acting President. I think you need to enrol in an evening class to broaden your sense of logical thinking.

DID YOU READ any of the posts before responding? Where did you find me stating that to be the case? Please follow the discussion., and stop insulting people just because you can.

If you are willing to READ, start from this post on the previous page or two, to get a better understanding of where this discussion has been from . . .

Quote from: Iranoladun on Today at 02:21:33 PM
I've said this before: Who is the acting Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

We have an acting President with no VP

@edoyad if Jonathan should fall ill then we'd all know naija is sitting on a keg of gunpowder
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 6:47pm On Apr 09, 2010
Dr Know:

The unfortunate thing is that we have the same type of people reasoning the same way representing us in the National Assembly. Too bad

check my previous posts. I have been making the same point you just made and it is not sinking in.

They started by telling us Yayale is the 3rd in command.

Who says the President must handover officially to anyone when he is pursuing state business abroad?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Abdul Mutallab, Slumps In Prison / 30% Of Children In Northern Nigeria Are Street Beggars – Don / Ntoakwaibom Stop Spreading False News, Akwa Ibom State Observed Biafra Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.