Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,028 members, 7,845,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us (5943 Views)

No Ex-govt Official Should Leave Nigeria After May 29 – Yayale / Buhari Jets To London With Diezani On Board / Photos From PDP Presidential Campaign Rally in Sokoto, As Jonathan Visits Sultan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by DrKnow1(m): 6:49pm On Apr 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

No one mention his NOT RESIGNING. It is in the constitution that he would have to resign from the one post to assume the other. We are talking about hierarchy here, and about how the person ought not to matter when we are dealing with the office!

Do you understand yourself? You must be a very confused person
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 6:51pm On Apr 09, 2010
Quote from: Iranoladun on Today at 02:21:33 PM
I've said this before: Who is the acting Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

We have an acting President with no VP
@edoyad if Jonathan should fall ill then we'd all know naija is sitting on a keg of gunpowder

An ACTING president is NOT the PRESIDENT. We still have a PRESIDENT. The Acting President IS the VP. If VP goes, the next man, in this case Yayale takes over. If Yayale goes, then the president of the senate/national assembly takes on the post.

We are in a demcracy, and not MILLITARY rule where you have to worry about someone taking your seat when you travel. It is nobody's property.

This was where this whole crap started.

What did Kobojunkie mean by when the VP goes, Yayale takes over.

The VP goes where? or Yayale or David Mark takes over from what?
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 6:53pm On Apr 09, 2010
Dr Know:

So according to you, the Acting President is travelling out for one week, the Senate President should resign from his current post and assume the role of the Acting President. I think you need to enrol in an evening class to broaden your sense of logical thinking.
you cant run away from the provisions of the constitution.the constitution has a set time for the president or governors to be away and we cant tolerate vaccum in governance.i stand by what i say,jonathan doesnt have constitutional right to handover to yayale.God forbids.what if jonathan dies in america,so you expect yayale to now handover to mark.abeg free me
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 6:54pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

A president should hand over to the VP in case of anything
A VP shd hand over to the Senate Presido, incase of anything . . . . But for a period of time and not indefinite
That is our constitution

Amendments have only recently been made to the constitution to ensure what we had happen, does not happen again. And I hope we get more amendments to address other possible loopholes and possible amend other ridiculous clauses in there.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 6:56pm On Apr 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

you cant run away from the provisions of the constitution.the constitution has a set time for the president or governors to be away and we cant tolerate vaccum in governance.i stand by what i say,jonathan doesnt have constitutional right to handover to yayale.God forbids.what if jonathan dies in america,so you expect yayale to now handover to mark.abeg free me

You have started your own mis-info

Jonathan has not handed over to Yayale. He may have simply delegated Authority to Yayale. These two things are different. Section 5 gives him the power to excersize executive authority through Ministers and Civil Servants. That is what delegation of authority stands for.
A President does not have to handover power in order to carryout Government Business abroad.

If Jonathan drops dead in America, David Mark takes over immediately. Those are the provisions of the constitution.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by DrKnow1(m): 7:02pm On Apr 09, 2010
mikeansy:

Jonathan has not handed over to Yayale. He is may have simply delegated Authority to Yayale. These two things are different.

If Jonathan drops dead in America, David Mark takes over immediately. Those are the provisions of the constitution.

What Bluetooth is suggesting is that David Mark should be the president of the senate and the same time seat with and head the Federal Executive Council affairs while Jonathan is away for one week. These are the ways our half baked intellectuals are interpreting the constitution because David Mark is third in command. Pathetic political elites. Shior
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nigerd(m): 7:03pm On Apr 09, 2010
@ Joke

I think NL don dey turn to Night of a thousand Laugh, \

Blouethouth and Co don dey turn to Basket mouth, Gandoki, I go Dye, Maleke, Ali Baba and Co
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 09, 2010
mikeansy:

Jonathan has not handed over to Yayale. He is may have simply delegated Authority to Yayale. These two things are different. Section 5 gives him the power to excersize executive authority through Ministers and Civil Servants. That is what delegation of authority stands for.
A President does not have to handover power in order to carryout Government Business abroad.

can please explain
the difference between handover and delegate.
is there any duration of time that yayale can stand in such capacity.
Would yayale have the same presidential power as jonathan,i mean like commanding the armed forces?
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by ProAnti: 7:12pm On Apr 09, 2010

146. (1) The Vice-President shall hold the office of President[size=15pt] if the office of President becomes vacant by reason of death or resignation, impeachment, permanent incapacity or the removal of the President from office for any other reason in accordance with section 143 of this Constitution.[/size]

(2) Where any vacancy occurs in the circumstances mentioned in subsection (1) of this section during a period when the office of Vice-President is also vacant, the President of the Senate shall hold the office of President for a period of not more than three months, during which there shall be an election of a new President, who shall hold office for the unexpired term of office of the last holder of the office.

There is no place in the constitution where it is stated that the president must hand over to someone when he is travelling for an official business.

Also, there is no official statement from the presidency on who would hold forte while the acting president is away. What are we arguing about?
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nigerd(m): 7:16pm On Apr 09, 2010
Not Now
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by DrKnow1(m): 7:17pm On Apr 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

can please explain
the difference between handover and delegate.
is there any duration of time that yayale can stand in such capacity.
Would yayale have the same presidential power as jonathan,i mean like commanding the armed forces?

Is Jonathan going to the moon where he cannot be reached?
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 09, 2010
Dr Know:

Is Jonathan going to the moon?
wouldnt know but he's travelling out of the country and you cant guarantee anything.yaradua could hide under such excuse instead of telling us he was sick since there is no stipulated time to when a president or governor who travelled out could return.so many loopholes in our constitution i guess
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 7:23pm On Apr 09, 2010
Handover confers you full Presidential Authority.

Obasanjo handed over to Yar'adua
Bush handed over to Obama.
If Yar'adua was a gentleman he would have handed over power to Jonathan by simply writing the NASS.

Delegation is like El-Rufai (FCT) representing OBJ on state affairs while he is busy with other affairs of state
Or like Ojo Maduekwe representing Yar'adua on Foreign Nigerian affairs.

Yayale is not President. He is simply the eyes of the acting President in Nigeria while Jonathan in is washington. Yayale is not acting President. He is still the SGF. Jonathan is still in charge. When Aondoakaa says the President can run the country from anywhere. He was correct except that the Yar'adua situation did not fit that analogy. Yar'adua was on a sick bed in Saudi with no hope of return anytime soon.

But the President does not have to handover to anybody in order to pursue Government Business abroad. But surely lying on a sick Bed for months in a Foreign Hospital is not Government Business but meeting the President of the United States in the White House is.

The constitution does not envisage handover of power to the Senate President. The condition under which David Mark becomes President will never involve a handover from a President or Vice. It will involve situations like impeachment, death, resignation in which none of President or his Vice are available to takeover. Then the Senate President will TAKEOVER.

So their will never be a handover of power to David Mark as Senate President. There can only be a TAKOVER of power by David Mark as circumstances demand.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 7:29pm On Apr 09, 2010
I ave missed a lot oh, lemme read what i have missed and will join you.

Mike . . . U have a point like everyone said, when we say handover, we not talking of the dude becoming the next president, but to over see things, chair the SEC meeting and all that while the president is not around.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 7:30pm On Apr 09, 2010
Pro Anti:

There is no place in the constitution where it is stated that the president must hand over to someone when he is travelling for an official business.

Also, there is no official statement from the presidency on who would hold forte while the acting president is away. What are we arguing about?

I think it depends on what discussion you are following. Some are focused on dealing with what happens when the president travels, and others, including self, are focused on what ought to take place when the Acting President does the "yar adua", dies etc.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Jarus(m): 7:32pm On Apr 09, 2010
Lets pray 4 a gud outing 4 Acting Mr. President!

and we have to pray because our president is visiting another president. . . . .are things that bad for us?
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 7:33pm On Apr 09, 2010
Jarus:

and we have to pray because our president is visiting another president. . . . .are things that bad for us?

cos anything cld happen while he is gone
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Mike . . . U have a point like everyone said, when we say handover, we not talking of the dude becoming the next president, but to over see things, chair the SEC meeting and all that while the president is not around.

But he will not be abroad that long enough for any SEC Meeting to hold in his absence
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 7:34pm On Apr 09, 2010
mikeansy:

But he will not be abroad that long enough for any SEC Meeting to hold in his absence

Never say never . . . . tongue
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by ProAnti: 7:35pm On Apr 09, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I think it depends on what discussion you are following. Some are focused on dealing with what happens when the president travels, and others, including self, are focused on what ought to take place when the Acting President does the "yar adua", dies etc.

The circumstance necessitating the travelling of the acting president is different from the Yar'Adua disappearing act.

If any of the circumstances mentioned in section 146 of the constitution happens to the acting president, the senate president takes over.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 7:36pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Never say never . . . . tongue

When we get there we shall cross the bridge, but Jonathan is due back in Nigeria on Tuesday.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 7:37pm On Apr 09, 2010
mikeansy:

When we get there we shall cross the bridge, but Jonathan is due back in Nigeria on Tuesday.

I am sure we never knew Yarasick would be gone for that long either
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 7:39pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I am sure we never knew Yarasick would be gone for that long either

but the constitution was well equiped to deal with such situation

just like I like the constitution as is is well equiped to deal with anything thrown up
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by ProAnti: 7:39pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Only the president or his vice can chair the FEC meeting.
And We've not been told that Yayale will oversee the affairs of the nation. Just like the ministers, he will only do whatever the acting president assigns to him.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 7:41pm On Apr 09, 2010
Pro Anti:

Only the president or his vice can chair the FEC meeting.
And We've not been told that Yayale will oversee the affairs of the nation. Just like the ministers, he will only do whatever the acting president assigns to him.

Yes, i know that.
mikeansy:

but the constitution was well equiped to deal with such situation

just like I like the constitution as is is well equiped to deal with anything thrown up

Anyhow, i am sure his visit will be aiight and be back soonest
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Apr 09, 2010
Pro Anti:

The circumstance necessitating the travelling of the acting president is different from the Yar'Adua disappearing act.

If any of the circumstances mentioned in section 146 of the constitution happens to the acting president, the senate president takes over.

That is what I have stated so far. Like I said, two different discussions going on earlier. One of just travel and the other abandonment or something similar to the yar adua issue, which the constitution addresses, and amendments check.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 7:45pm On Apr 09, 2010
mikeansy:

Handover confers you full Presidential Authority.

Obasanjo handed over to Yar'adua
Bush handed over to Obama.
If Yar'adua was a gentleman he would have handed over power to Jonathan by simply writing the NASS.

Delegation is like El-Rufai (FCT) representing OBJ on state affairs while he is busy with other affairs of state
Or like Ojo Maduekwe representing Yar'adua on Foreign Nigerian affairs.

Yayale is not President. He is simply the eyes of the acting President in Nigeria while Jonathan in is washington. Yayale is not acting President. He is still the SGF. Jonathan is still in charge. When Aondoakaa says the President can run the country from anywhere. He was correct except that the Yar'adua situation did not fit that analogy. Yar'adua was on a sick bed in Saudi with no hope of return anytime soon.

But the President does not have to handover to anybody in order to pursue Government Business abroad. But surely lying on a sick Bed for months in a Foreign Hospital is not Government Business but meeting the President of the United States in the White House is.

The constitution does not envisage handover of power to the Senate President. The condition under which David Mark becomes President will never involve a handover from a President or Vice. It will involve situations like impeachment, death, resignation in which none of President or his Vice are available to takeover. Then the Senate President will TAKEOVER.

So their will never be a handover of power to David Mark as Senate President. There can only be a TAKOVER of power by David Mark as circumstances demand.

in a lame man analysis,i would analyse that the constitution recognise handing over of power from president to vice-president  when he's sick on vacation or incapacitated but did not make provision for when he may travel abroad which makes such transfer of power discretion.if the constitution can also recognise that acting president can hand over power to senate president in case of sickness or vacation,why is it that jonathan cannot use his discetion in handing over to senate president even he's travelling out for a day
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 7:46pm On Apr 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

in a lame man analysis,i would analyse that the constitution recognise handing over of power from president to vice-president  when he's sick on vacation or incapacitated but did not make provision for when he may travel abroad which makes such transfer of power discretion.if the constitution can also recognise that acting president can hand over power to senate president in case of sickness or vacation,why is it that jonathan cannot use his discetion in handing over to senate president even he's travelling out for a day

148. (1) The President may, in his discretion, assign to the Vice-President

or any Minister of the Government of the Federation responsibility for any

business of the Government of the Federation, including the administration    of any department of government.

(2) The President shall hold regular meetings with the Vice-President and

all the Ministers of the Government of the Federation for the purposes of

-

(a) determining the general direction of domestic and foreign policies

of the Government of the Federation;

(b) co-ordinating the activities of the President, the Vice-President

and the Ministers of the Government of the Federation in the discharge

of their executive responsibilities; and

(c) advising the President generally in discharge of his executive

functions other than those functions with respect to which he is

required by this Constitution to seek the advice or act on the

recommendation of any other person or body.

Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 09, 2010
I guessed jonathan is greedy with power also.he feared david mark may commit a democratic coup before he comes.so nigeria wont have a commander till next week thursday.so pathetic
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Fhemmmy: 8:00pm On Apr 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I guessed jonathan is greedy with power also.he feared david mark may commit a democratic coup before he comes.so nigeria wont have a commander till next week thursday.so pathetic

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
I dont think that is why.
Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Kobojunkie: 8:01pm On Apr 09, 2010
One could argue that since he is NOT the president, 148 need not apply.  grin However,

151. (1) The President may appoint any person as a Special Adviser to assist

him in the performance of his functions.

(2) The number of such Advisers and their remuneration and allowances shall

be as prescribed by law or by resolution of the National Assembly.

(3) Any appointment made pursuant to the provisions of this section shall be

at the pleasure of the President and shall cease when the President ceases

to hold office.

152. A person appointed as Special Adviser under section 151 of this

Constitution shall not begin to perform the functions of his office until he

has declared his assets and liabilities as prescribed in this Constitution

and has subsequently taken and subscribed the Oath of Allegiance and oath of

office prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to this Constitution.

Re: Yayale To Take Charge : As Jonathan Jets To Us by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 09, 2010
~Bluetooth:

That was the conclusion you always wanted to reach. But even with folks picking apart your claims . . . .you have simply made a conscious decision to announce your pre-determined conclusion anyway.

Thank you for your honesty

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigeria Spends N98 Trillion Importing Food Between 2007 And 2011 / INEC Deregistered Some Parties To Avoid Confusion During Elections / BREAKING: Gunmen Attack Another Anambra Church -- Punch News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.