Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,689 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term (15098 Views)

Femi Kuti Tells Osinbajo: I Won't Support Buhari At Felabration / Fayose: Daura Lobbied Me Twice To Support Buhari / Why Northern youths won’t support Buhari in 2019 – Shettima, AYCF president (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by dre11(m): 6:53am On Jan 09, 2018
• Blames Yar’Adua for dismantling anti-corruption structures

Agha Ibiam in London

A former Nigerian president and chairman of the panel of advisors of the Africa Initiative for Governance (AIG), Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, has said that it is not yet ripe to determine if he will support President Muhammadu Buhari’s bid for a second term in office or not.

Having ditched the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), which brought him to power for eight years, Obasanjo in 2014 threw his weight behind Buhari and invariably the All Progressives Congress (APC) as against the PDP administration led by former President Goodluck Jonathan.

However, Obasanjo, whose response was brief when confronted with the question by THISDAY after delivering a speech titled, “Leadership in the African Context – How to Drive Transformational Change in African Countries,” at the Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford, Monday, retorted that the time was not ripe to answer such a question.

Having given his terse response, Obasanjo was hurriedly ushered into his car and driven off for a dinner event at the university college.

The event, which was organised by AIG to announce the 2017/18 scholarship recipients, attracted hundreds of people from the university community and beyond.

His speech, nonetheless, drew a lot of questions bordering on why the African continent is governed by bad, corrupt and inexperienced leaders.

Obasanjo, who was well equipped and prepared to make the event an interactive one, responded to all the questions thrown at him by the audience.

On fighting corruption in Nigeria, he said it was a hydra-headed monster, which was deeply entrenched in the system, adding that fighting corruption was not a one-day affair but something that must be fought continuously.

“The man (leader) on top must be above board and be seen to fight corruption. Those around him must also be upright and various institutions such as the police, judiciary, the executive and other bodies must make it an all-inclusive affair because it is an endless process,” Obasanjo said.

He then went on to blame the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua whom he said had dismantled some of the structures he had put in place to check and curtail corruption, such as the pioneer chairman of the Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC).

He noted that Yar’Adua had allowed former Delta State governor, Mr. James Ibori, to push for the replacement of the former EFCC chairman, Mr. Nuhu Ribadu, whom Obasanjo claimed was poisoned but eventually survived it.

On achieving good governance in Africa and particularly Nigeria, Obasanjo urged Nigerian youths to participate in politics.

He, however, expressed regret that the amount of money required in politics was obscene, noting that something must be done about it.

“Politics in Nigeria has been dominated by people that have stolen money, that have godfathers or even drug barons, the type we have now at the National Assembly. So youths should pool resources to become politically active in order to replace the present crop of leaders and provide better alternatives,” he added.

Obasanjo told the audience that he was satisfied with what AIG was doing by collaborating with the Blavatnik School of Government to ensure that young minds are produced in West Africa to take up the mantle of leadership in the near future.

He remarked that Africa’s time to develop was now, but maintained that African leaders needed to implement transformational change agendas if things must happen.

“There must be far reaching reforms to ensure we remove the old order and introduce the new order because Africa is viewed by the Western world as a liability.

“For the eight years I was in power, I tried to reach out to other world leaders using my shuttle diplomacy which attracted positive actions. I campaigned for debt relief which we got and Africa was no longer treated with disdain,” he recalled.

He said transformational leadership abhors complacency by thinking outside the box, thinking strategically, and refuses to take no for an answer.

The former president added that policy development and honesty would push the reforms that the African continent was yearning for, adding that leaders needed to wake up for the paradigm shift.

The inaugural recipients of the AIG scholarships for 2017/18 are Emokiniovo Akpughe (Nigeria), Efosa Trevor Edobor (Nigeria), Abdul-Fatawu Z. Hakeem (Ghana), Chukwunonso Iheoma (Nigeria), Oluwapelumi Simpson (Nigeria) and Emmanuel Taiwo (Nigeria).

Before his speech, Obasanjo arrived at the university college at 14.07GMT and went straight into a meeting to discuss the partnership between the Blavatnik School of Government and AIG.

Others at the meeting included the Dean of the Blavatnik School of Government, Prof. Ngaire Woods; Director of Development, Dr. Kirstine Knox; Head of Executive Office, Hillary Coyne-Bar; and the Head of Partnerships and Fellowship Office, Gail Allan.

Members of the AIG advisory panel present at the meeting included Obasanjo, Chairman of the THISDAY Editorial Board, Mr. Segun Adeniyi, and Mrs Yemisi Ayeni, while the AIG board members present were former President of Council of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), Mr. Aigboje Aig-Imoukhuede, Mrs. Ofovwe Aig-Imoukhuede, and the Group Managing Director/CEO of Access Bank Plc, Mr. Herbert Wigwe.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/01/09/obasanjo-its-not-yet-ripe-to-say-if-ill-support-buhari-for-second-term/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by biacan(f): 6:54am On Jan 09, 2018
Bubu was never ripe to be president it was you and those gullible Nigerians that vote him into power...... special thanks to the creator that they are finally reaping the repercussions of their actions cool...... ( 2019 ) comes to mind wink

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Nobody: 6:56am On Jan 09, 2018
The Nigerian oracle!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Chicagoesontop: 6:59am On Jan 09, 2018
Okay, we will soon know what you are waiting for !

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Nutase: 7:04am On Jan 09, 2018
Cunny man

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by aolawale025: 7:08am On Jan 09, 2018
Buhari deserves a letter from OBJ

8 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Nobody: 7:08am On Jan 09, 2018
Even Obasanjo and the Generals are tired of PMB. The Mallam selling Suya down my street who was a die hard supporter of PMB is even tired.
Me: Give me four hundred Naira Suya
Mallam: Maigida..I no dey buy plenty Suya again

Me: Money no dey

Mallam: Walahi Maigida no market. Buhari no good...Jonathan better..Market dey for Jonathan

Me: Sai Baba!

Mallam: I dey angry please take your Suya and go!

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Nobody: 7:16am On Jan 09, 2018
Following

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Firefire(m): 7:16am On Jan 09, 2018
Just tell Nigerians now to run away from the disaster called CHAIN-GE & Buhary.

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by SalamRushdie: 7:18am On Jan 09, 2018
Any person that has not made up his mind to kick Buhari out at this time is definitely and enemy of Nigeria and should be tried for treason . #BACK2DAURA

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by atiku2019manager: 7:20am On Jan 09, 2018
lol. one thing i like about Nigeria ex head of state, is that, once they leave power they automatically becomes a Democrats and give advice for things they couldn't do when in power.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by bloodmoneyspita: 7:20am On Jan 09, 2018
it is unripe we know. Na plantain.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by fitzmayowa: 7:24am On Jan 09, 2018
OBJ playing safe, baba no wan commit too early...

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by AishaBuhari: 7:31am On Jan 09, 2018
Let us know when it's ripe and ready to be plucked! Mtcheeewwwww

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by pelumi111: 7:39am On Jan 09, 2018
May ogun kill all of them

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Paperwhite(m): 7:41am On Jan 09, 2018
Of course he knew the president was never sound to lead Posterity will never forgive people like OBJ who helped to foist a monumental disaster of Buhari nature on this nation.

5 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by ayoxx69(m): 7:50am On Jan 09, 2018
I'm just wondering, people dont want APC come 2019 and yet they say Atiku is a selfish greedy theif, now who will they vote for 2019. And whereas, all these people are educated illetrates with their hypocritic patroitsm, they have forgotten they have been suffering for the past 16year 'fore Buhari came into power, only that the government of just 3 years is yet to find solution to the destruction of sixteen years the past government has incured on Nigerians. Also, the present government is slow and week for action towards very sensitive issues. Now Lets Ask, Who Will Deliver Nigeria From The Foreseen Doom Its Heading To?

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Omeokachie: 8:06am On Jan 09, 2018
Buhari's "navigator"!

He has navigated nigeria into a ditch.

3 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by CplusJason: 8:27am On Jan 09, 2018
The old trick star should just shut up and start writing his WILL.

He's too blind to see the cold hands knocking at his door.

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by 3millionia: 9:04am On Jan 09, 2018
OBJ is a cun man but still better than buhari.

Download latest foreign and naija hit DJ Mixtapes at Mixtapes.ng
Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by IamPatriotic(m): 9:06am On Jan 09, 2018
Is it Atiku you will support?
Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by jerflakes(m): 9:06am On Jan 09, 2018
Crook

How wants to seduce PDP members so that they will not field atiku as their candidate

Then he'll go behind and stab them in the back again

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by fergie001: 9:06am On Jan 09, 2018
Obasanjo is now a democrat,lest we forget the man did his best but he should stop all this pontification,some of us were not too young when you were President Sir, the National Assembly you berate consistently got out of gear the day you started waving ghana-must-go at them,so forgive the institution for getting into your 3rd term ambition,please...
Yar'Adua is dead,so you can say so many things that make you happy...
He was Fulani and Moslem,irrespective how slow,we were not carrying our lives in our palms like we did now......He spent a glorious 2years plus,we will always remember.
Jonathan is out now,he is now a democrat....The PATRON that is in Aso Rock was an Anti-corruption czar outside,but he is there...we are now seeing his Amaechis, Fayemis, Mainas, Malamis, Babachirs, Dambazzaus, etc.....
Days have gone we rely on you 'Navigators',hunger has reset to factory settings.....OBJ(the boss of all bosses),whether it's ripe or unripe boli,go and tell Benue people about Buhari,then you will know how far.
Do not over-reach yourself,learn to opt out when the ovation is loudest.

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by UncleJudax(m): 9:07am On Jan 09, 2018
ayoxx69:
I'm just wondering, people dont want APC come 2019 and yet they say Atiku is a selfish greedy theif, now who will they vote for 2019. And whereas, all these people are educated illetrates with their hypocritic patroitsm, they have forgotten they have been suffering for the past 16year 'fore Buhari came into power, only that the government of just 3 years is yet to find solution to the destruction of sixteen years the past government has incured on Nigerians. Also, the present government is slow and week for action towards very sensitive issues. Now Lets Ask, Who Will Deliver Nigeria From The Foreseen Doom Its Heading To?
Speak Pidgin please!

6 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Bustincole(m): 9:07am On Jan 09, 2018
Even Buhary himsef is still in doubt of 2nd term

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by NaoSlay: 9:08am On Jan 09, 2018

What does obasanjo think of himself?

All these useless afonja leaders self.

In this current state, buhari can't win 2019 elections, forget those crowds he pulls in the north.

Except buhari performs a miracle of improving the country from now till election , by now next year, some loads should have been packed to Daura.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Kingcesar: 9:09am On Jan 09, 2018
Baba they wait for ghana must go bag
Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Drsheddy(m): 9:10am On Jan 09, 2018
[b][/b]OBJ I DON'T think you are still relevant in the Nigeria politics, just stop seeking for unnecessary attention embarassed
Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 09, 2018

2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by BanevsJoker(m): 9:12am On Jan 09, 2018
aolawale025:
Buhari deserves a letter from OBJ
A love letter? He seems blind to the Terrorist's flaws. Only love can be that blind.

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: It’s Not Yet Ripe To Say If I’ll Support Buhari For Second Term by emmyw(m): 9:12am On Jan 09, 2018
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Rejects Justice Nyako’s Ruling On Charges Against Him, Files Appeal / Ribadu Report, Plan To Embarrass Government - Presidency / Gunmen Kill 11 In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.