Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,354 members, 7,826,387 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested (13905 Views)

Cogent Reasons Why Kanu Must Die By Hanging And Tompolo Must Be Arrested / El-rufai To Critics : GO AND DIE If You're Not Happy Over My Appointees / Okupe: Critics Of Jonathan Are Silly Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by naijaking1: 4:02am On Apr 12, 2010
[size=28pt]Critics Call for the Pope to be Arrested [/size]
Sunday, 11 April 2010 20:42

Should Pope Benedict XVI be arrested when he visits UK later this year for sexual abuse cover up? Prominent atheists Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens are paying lawyers to investigate the possibility of prosecuting the pope for crimes against humanity, their solicitor confirmed today.

The pair argues that Pope Benedict XVI should be arrested when he visits Britain in September and put on trial for his alleged cover-up of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church.

Last week a letter emerged from 1985 in which the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger urged that a paedophilic priest in America not be defrocked for the "good of the universal church".

The Vatican has already suggested the pope is immune from prosecution because he is a head of state. But Dawkins and Hitchens believe that because he is not the head of a state with full United Nations membership, he does not hold immunity and could be arrested when he steps on to British soil.

This is the advice they have been given by their lawyers – solicitor Mark Stephens and human rights barrister Geoffrey Robertson QC.

"I'm convinced we can get over the threshold of immunity," said Stephens. "The Vatican is not recognised as a state in international law. People assume that it has existed for time immemorial but it was a construct of Mussolini, and when the Vatican first applied to become a member of the UN, the US said no. So as a sop they were given the status of permanent observers rather than full members."

But the Holy See insists it is a state like any other. Earlier this month, Giuseppe Dalla Torre, Vatican tribunal chief, said: "The pope is certainly a head of state and he has the same legal status as all heads of state."

Stephens said there are three lines of approach to put the pope in the dock. "One is that we apply for a warrant to the international criminal court. Alternatively, criminal proceedings could be brought here, either a public prosecution brought by the Crown Prosecution Service or a private prosecution. That would require at least one victim to come forward who is either from this jurisdiction or was abused here. The third option is for individuals to lodge civil claims," said Stephens.

He said he had recently been approached by seven wealthy individuals who donated money to the Catholic church and were dismayed their money had not only been used to fund abuse but also buy the silence of victims. These people could potentially sue the pope, Stephens suggested.

Writing in the Washington Post on Friday, Dawkins described Ratzinger as a "leering old villain in a frock … whose first instinct when his priests are caught with their pants down is to cover up the scandal and damn the young victims to silence."

Without admitting that he had consulted lawyers he added: "This former head of the Inquisition should be arrested the moment he dares to set foot outside his tinpot fiefdom of the Vatican, and he should be tried in an appropriate civil – not ecclesiastical – court. That's what should happen. Sadly, we all know our faith-befuddled governments will be too craven to do it."

Pope Benedict will be in Britain from 16-19 September where he will beatify the theologian Cardinal John Henry Newman, THE GUARDIAN

Pope has no immunity - UKPA

Plans to have the Pope arrested when he visits the UK will succeed because he is not a head of state, a solicitor has said.

Atheist authors Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens proposed the action against the Pontiff for his handling of child abuse scandals in the Catholic church.

The writers' solicitor Mark Stephens said applications will be made to courts in the UK and the International Criminal Court for a warrant for Pope Benedict XVI's arrest.

His likely defence would be be that he is immune from prosecution during his visit to Britain in September, according to the lawyer.

Mr Stephens said: "The courts will examine the claim of immunity. I believe that an English court would reject it. If the Pope was here on a state visit, ordinarily a head of state would have sovereign immunity. What I believe is that because he's not a sovereign, not a head of state, he's not entitled to the defence."

He said that the Vatican was declared to be a state by Benito Mussolini, but this had no standing in international law.

The Pope faced criticism after it emerged that he signed a letter which delayed the punishment of a paedophile priest in the US for the "good of the universal church".

Writing in 1985, the future Pontiff said that he needed more time to consider the case.

Mr Stephens, who has represented abuse victims in the past said: "This will require the Pope to deal with the way in which he appears to have prioritised the reputation of the Catholic church over the welfare of children."

Potential charges against the Pope would be crimes against humanity
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by gidson12(m): 7:30am On Apr 12, 2010
D pope is wrong 2 have kept silence n cover up those animal priest who abuse children
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 12, 2010
Why ar pple shouting?God created men wit passion n women to help out n vise versa.hence marriage d legal means to do so.bt som men feel they can do without wives.beliv me wit proper investigation al d priest includin d pope wil b guilty.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Spyker: 10:33am On Apr 12, 2010
A man robs a bank, and when he was arrested, he said that the Pastor told him that money is the root of all evil and that he is robbing the bank in order to destroy the money hence the destruction of the principal causes or root of all evil. The man was arrested and charge to court. His Pastor was not arrested. Why? Because the man is accountable for his crime.

This is similar to what is happening in the Catholic church today. The Priest are accountable for their actions not the Pope, the Pope can only enforce the canon law of the church. He is not liable for the sins of the Priest just as the Pastor should not be blamed for the action of his member.
Condemning the actions of the Priests does not mean that the Pope should now take the blame. If everyone in authority is held accountable for the actions of those under them, then God would have destroyed the world again and again and again.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by gidson12(m): 11:10am On Apr 12, 2010
Spyker:

A man robs a bank, and when he was arrested, he said that the Pastor told him that money is the root of all evil and that he is robbing the bank in order to destroy the money hence the destruction of the principal causes or root of all evil. The man was arrested and charge to court. His Pastor was not arrested. Why? Because the man is accountable for his crime.

This is similar to what is happening in the Catholic church today. The Priest are accountable for their actions not the Pope, the Pope can only enforce the canon law of the church. He is not liable for the sins of the Priest just as the Pastor should not be blamed for the action of his member.
Condemning the actions of the Priests does not mean that the Pope should now take the blame. If everyone in authority is held accountable for the actions of those under them, then God would have destroyed the world again and again and again.
the pope knew of the immoral actions of these priests and condoned them, no rebuke no strip of their priesthood, and even witheld information during investigation which is unlawful to the state. So his actions warrants arrest. These actions of his shows that he cares less of the innocent children entrusted under the care of the church.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 12, 2010
Na so arrest easy,touch d pope n britain will go up in flames .oloribruku!!
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Sagamite(m): 11:42am On Apr 12, 2010
chukwudi44:

Na so arrest easy,touch d pope n britain will go up in flames .oloribruku!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by chimzaramj: 11:47am On Apr 12, 2010
Pope to be arrested?They are playing with fire.May God help them.Amen
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by otukpo(f): 11:59am On Apr 12, 2010
All these atheists sef, Una no dey tire?
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Pamperme: 12:07pm On Apr 12, 2010
lol. In their dreams grin grin grin grin grin

infact i laugh again grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Ifebazz(m): 12:13pm On Apr 12, 2010
U all shld kw whites by nw. I mean dey try 2 blow everythn out of propotn. See tiger woods, john terry, ashley cole etc. One hungry lawyer has found openning 2 become famous by being de 1 dat took de Papalcy down. Oburu ogun ore! In de long run u'd hear dat dis same lawyer is goin 4 absolution frm a priest. Cheap souls. If they're too rithous let 'em fight dia ppl 4 iraq, afghan, etc.
Pamperme:

lol. In their dreams grin grin grin grin grin

infact i laugh again grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Digriz(m): 12:16pm On Apr 12, 2010
They dare nt,the institution he heads is more powerful than britain and US put together. Impossible!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Spyker: 12:18pm On Apr 12, 2010
gidson12:

the pope knew of the immoral actions of these priests and condoned them, no rebuke no strip of their priesthood, and even witheld information during investigation which is unlawful to the state. So his actions warrants arrest. These actions of his shows that he cares less of the innocent children entrusted under the care of the church.    

I guess you have an agenda against the Pope, please look inwards and ask yourself questions before you conclude. The internet is filled with Anti-Christian information, anti-catholic information. Hope you are not an anti-Pope.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Digriz(m): 12:21pm On Apr 12, 2010
Spyker:

I guess you have an agenda against the Pope, please look inwards and ask yourself questions before you conclude. The internet is filled with Anti-Christian information, anti-catholic information. Hope you are not an anti-Pope.
sure he looks like one bt they cn neva succeed.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Sagamite(m): 12:27pm On Apr 12, 2010
gidson12:

GBAM!

Even if it is not the pope that witheld info, there are some snr people in the church (cardinals) that did and protected paedophiles. I would love to see whoever is responsible (pope and/or cardinals) charged and locked up.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by t0kunb0(m): 12:28pm On Apr 12, 2010
did d pope know about these incidents b4 now?
has he denied knowledge?
did he hold back info as a cover-up?
is any "good person" allowed to do "bad" and still technically remain "good"?

Moses did killed Egyptian. . . but i guess he was man enough to admit it. David was even worse
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:34pm On Apr 12, 2010
I think we should also look into the Nigerian educational institutions under the catholic responsibility.
I recall a good friend who went to a seminary in the eastern part of Nigeria. he recounts how he spent his horrific years there and why he opted to go to the University rather that a catholic institution.

Stories of Rape, Sodomy, Smoking etc abound. he said he could not bear to become a priest after all he went through.

Indeed you cannot decide that for the universal good, crime should go unpunished. it is like saying that because we want to protect the institution of governance in Nigeria by allowing 1 or 2 governors to go free because if you arrested them, then you will have to arrest probably 95% of governors deemed to be corrupt or have committed crimes deserving of a jail term. simply because there will be no governors to govern Nigeria.

The Pope must be punished accordingly for allowing (indeed providing the sustainable environment for these crimes to continue)

Regards
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Digriz(m): 12:35pm On Apr 12, 2010
Sagamite:

GBAM!

Even if it is not the pope that witheld info, there are some snr people in the church (cardinals) that did and protected paedophiles. I would love to see whoever is responsible (pope and/or cardinals) charged and locked up.
continue waiting lol
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Digriz(m): 12:38pm On Apr 12, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

I think we should also look into the Nigerian educational institutions under the catholic responsibility.
I recall a good friend who went to a seminary in the eastern part of Nigeria. he recounts how he spent his horrific years there and why he opted to go to the University rather that a catholic institution.

Stories of despoil, Sodomy, Smoking etc abound. he said he could not bear to become a priest after all he went through.

Indeed you cannot decide that for the universal good, crime should go unpunished. it is like saying that because we want to protect the institution of governance in Nigeria by allowing 1 or 2 governors to go free because if you arrested them, then you will have to arrest probably 95% of governors deemed to be corrupt or have committed crimes deserving of a jail term. simply because there will be no governors to govern Nigeria.

The Pope must be punished accordingly for allowing (indeed providing the sustainable environment for these crimes to continue)

Regards
till thy kingdom come.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by FaLeroy: 12:40pm On Apr 12, 2010
Digriz:

sure he looks like one bt they cn neva succeed.

I am sure technically in secular circles all the solutions will be tenable.  but an institution that is older than most states and whose bedrock is faith and forgiveness, the rules are different. For instance, if the priest went up to his confessor, his confessor is duty bound to absolve him of his sins. and as the bible says 70 times 7 times.

we are all outraged, but people without faith cannot comment here because they lack understanding. the faith is not in any one person but in God. How else do you explain the fact that most of these victims are still members of the Catholic church. I agree that the issue of paedophilic priests should be handled with a little/lot more consideration for the victims, but arrest the pope?!!! Haba shocked
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 12:41pm On Apr 12, 2010
people do not use your mouth to bring cause upon yourself. leave everything unto God to judge.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Izunwa(m): 12:42pm On Apr 12, 2010
IF WE ARE JUDGING BY IRELAND CASE, D PRIEST SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, WHICH THEY'VE ALREADY DONE BY RESIGNING FRM PRIESTHOOD. AND D POPE ALSO SHOWED REMORSE BY TENDERING AN APOLOGY. WIT D 1985, D POPE IS GUILTY FOR WITHHELDING INFO BUT D CRIME WAS COMMITTED IN USA & NOT UK, SO Y ARRESTING HIM WEN HE STEPS FOOT ON UK SOIL? TOMORROW NOW EVEN SAUDI ARABIA WILL START SAYING THEY WILL SENTENCE HIM TO DEATH. ONLY GOD KNOWS HOW MUCH I MISS JOHNPAUL II, IT'LL WILL B HARD TO GET A REPLACEMENT FOR HIM.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Redman44(m): 12:46pm On Apr 12, 2010
The Pope will not arrested by the British authorities or any other country's government. Do you know what the Papacy represents? You need to visit the Vatican to understand what I'm saying. The offending priests can be punished and derobed but not Pope Benedict. The atheists are playing with fire sad sad Almost all the western leaders are allies of the Pope. Do some research on the Illuminati and the Freemasons. Hmn.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by gReenmAn(m): 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2010
Arrest the Pope?
Keep dreaming tongue
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 12, 2010
The Pope is the successor of ST. Peter who was directly commissioned by Christ Himself to lead his Flock. It follows therefore, that the Vatican's sovereingty is "exceptional". Which other Naton has Indigent Citizens in all the Nations of the earth? Any Country that Touches the Pope has declared war on the body of Christ. No amount of idle intimidation can stop the Mother Church from upholding it's deep rooted traditions. The call by these remote atheists is a bluff which should be ignored. If there is a Judas in just twelve disciples of Jesus, How do we expect the Pope to control millions of priests worldwide.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by nex(m): 12:53pm On Apr 12, 2010
When these types of idiot lawyers called for the arrest of Al Basheer of Sudan, I said it was just a case of seeking attention and the continued insult on Africans, but my people won't hear this.

Well, I don't support it, I think these lawyers are extremists. Irreligious Extremists. However, if justice is to be done, if we can see support for the arrest of Al Basheer, then we should all support the call for the arrest and trial of the Pope. He definitely conceal information and asked others to do same, he tried to cover up a lot of these crimes for decades.

He may have done it for the greater good, but a crime is a crime.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by FaLeroy: 12:54pm On Apr 12, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

Stories of despoil, Sodomy, Smoking etc abound. he said he could not bear to become a priest after all he went through.

Regards

A lot of ignorance abounds. While the church may be considered spiritual, the papacy is human amidst claims of the infallibility of the pope, he is still human and all these accusations were before he became a pope. The calling into the priesthood is exactly that- a calling. if you are not called, sit your ass home, but we have a lot of uncalled priests, true, but do we blame the pope for that as well? Jimmy Swaggart was one of the greatest pentecostal revivalists of his time, but he was accused of soliciting a prostitute, he lied and denied it and then later confessed. Who do we blame for his actions? or did this make any less a man of God? He fell, but God is merciful fortunately, unlike most of us. the catholic church needs to review a lot of its practices etc true.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by FaLeroy: 1:14pm On Apr 12, 2010
Okoro2015:

The Pope is the successor of ST. Peter who was directly commissioned by Christ Himself to lead his Flock. It follows therefore, that the Vatican's sovereingty is "exceptional". Which other Naton has Indigent Citizens in all the Nations of the earth? Any Country that Touches the Pope has declared war on the body of Christ. No amount of idle intimidation can stop the Mother Church from upholding it's deep rooted traditions. The call by these remote atheists is a bluff which should be ignored. If there is a Judas in just twelve disciples of Jesus, How do we expect the Pope to control millions of priests worldwide.

Word!!! wink
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by warripekin(m): 1:23pm On Apr 12, 2010
Redman44:

The Pope will not arrested by the British authorities or any other country's government. Do you know what the Papacy represents? You need to visit the Vatican to understand what I'm saying. The offending priests can be punished and derobed but not Pope Benedict. The atheists are playing with fire sad sad Almost all the western leaders are allies of the Pope. Do some research on the Illuminati and the Freemasons. Hmn.

The illuminati which is the highest order of the freemasons , has not to do with catholic church but rather a lot to do with the church of England .
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by dinachi(m): 1:35pm On Apr 12, 2010
While i may not be a devout catholic, i do not  and will never allow myself to support those who are morally bankrupt to make a mess of the hallowed dignity of the vatican pontif. This fools who think any thing and anybody can be exploited for cheap popularity should know that the time has come for them to know caution. How much has the so call humanitarian lawyer been making from those victims they are supposedly representing? How much percentage of their cut has been plowed back to help rehabilitate those affected, if they want us to believe they so love humanity.Somebody pls Tell me, exactly where did the pope go wrong? From what i gathered, he did not condone the priest, he only called for caution and more time to be really sure that the matter had legitmacy. Those idiots in UK should be arrested for making such frivolous and unfounded attack on the Pope and not vice versa. The memory is still fresh in our minds of a similar fool in The US in his warped and reprobate mind asking a court in the states to issue a warrant of arrest for God,  for crimes against humanity.  What would you expect from a society that weds lesbians and homosexuals?
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Password77(m): 1:43pm On Apr 12, 2010
People trying to pull others down in order to gain popularity and attention, its just too BAD
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by sulad82i(m): 1:53pm On Apr 12, 2010
Password77:

People trying to pull others down in order to gain popularity and attention, its just too BAD

Whenever it comes to Christian leaders, pple always make it seems those leaders are being attacked. Lets all put our self in the position of one of those kids parent or put urself in the position of the kids. Lots if pple have physiological problem for the rest of the lives cos of what was done to them.
The pope had the opportunity to punish the pple who were perpetrating those cruel acts but chose to ignore them and let them go without punishment. Thereby condoning the act, releasing the priest, and encouraging him to do more. The pope is not a good leader.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Buhari In A Bilateral Meeting With Martin Schulz, President Of The EU Parliament / FEC Holds Valedictory Session For Ocholi / Buhari Currently Meeting APC Governors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.