Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,963 members, 7,838,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested (13940 Views)

Cogent Reasons Why Kanu Must Die By Hanging And Tompolo Must Be Arrested / El-rufai To Critics : GO AND DIE If You're Not Happy Over My Appointees / Okupe: Critics Of Jonathan Are Silly Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 6:43pm On Apr 12, 2010
Sagamite:

Baba nla ODE!  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin cheesy grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Michael13(m): 6:50pm On Apr 12, 2010
catholics are pretenders

and u know what pretenders do tha worse

How could u stay for the whole of thy life and claim u know no woman
haba this issue should be an eye opener shocked shocked
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by mrofficial(m): 6:51pm On Apr 12, 2010
Most of these priests are just deceiving themselves. They are everywhere.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by saymalcolm(m): 6:59pm On Apr 12, 2010
Now the act or omission of the Pope in question is something that happened how many years ago? Why didnt these men bring out this information before the conclave that brought in Pope Benedict? I dont in any way condone the action of Cardinal Radzinsky (as he then was). Infact, Its is totally disgusting for him to have had that knowledge and advocate suppression without meting out the appropriate punishment to the paedophile of a priest all in the name of it not being in best interests of the church. A terrible sin was clearly committed here. Makes you wonder if Church interests are now greater than protecting that which they preside over. What happens to the victims then?

The crux of the matter is this; why do Catholics believe that to truly serve God, you must deny yourself the experience of marriage which is ordained by God. If priests were allowed to get married, probably the issue of sexually abusive priests would be non existent or its existence would be majorly minimised.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Sagamite(m): 7:00pm On Apr 12, 2010
FL Gators:

grin cheesy grin

debosky:

And who has appointed you the curse giver and protector of God?   Better deal with your own issues and stop trying to place curses that might end up on your own head.

I have to admit, you have some fair sized cojones though.  grin

Debo, no mind am.

Alakori! Ko je kin gbe eboo lati Ifa Sagamu fun ko je kanu, k'oju e la, ko mo nkan ti igbala gidi je. (He should let me give him juju medley to consume from the Ifa of Sagamu, so his eyes can open and see real salvation).  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by tayo4me(f): 7:04pm On Apr 12, 2010
These Atheists sef, they refuse to belief in a God, yet they go about disturbing others. On the other hand, if an investigation suggests the Pope is guilty, he should be arrested. The actions he is accused of are great and if true should not go unpunished just because he is the Pope. He was placed in an authoritative position with responsibilities and should have reported those involved instead of covering them up.

All those that are saying he cannot be arrested should not be surprised. As it has already been mentioned, the Vatican is not recognised as a state in the International community, so the Pope is not immune from arrest just for his religious position and reasons.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Michael13(m): 7:05pm On Apr 12, 2010
mr.official:

Most of these priests are just deceiving themselves. They are everywhere.

thank u in fact i think this matter has been over-flogged

i say we all take one way ticker to Rome and stone 'em to death
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 12, 2010
Sagamite:

Debo, no mind am.

Alakori! Ko je ki gbe eboo lati Ifa Sagamu fun ko je kanu, k'oju e la, ko mo nkan ti igbala gidi je. (He should let me give him juju medley to consume from the Ifa of Sagamu, so his eyes can open and see real salvation).  grin grin grin grin grin
grin cheesy grin
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by tayo4me(f): 7:11pm On Apr 12, 2010
The main problem in that church is celibacy. Marriage was ordained for all by God, for God's sake or did not read that in the Bible. Until they accept it as their problem, nothing will change. It is only normal they crave for sexual satisfaction, because God Himself created it
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Chinda02(f): 7:14pm On Apr 12, 2010
the catholic priesthood is bigger than a priest or a few priests.the pope is the head of the petrine ministry so all of you calling for his arrest should go stick ur heads in a sand dune.infact all catholic church in the world is praying about this malicious slander rite now and for our holy father.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by gidson12(m): 7:15pm On Apr 12, 2010
Well i think the pope is just as human as every other person, same goes to other priests, so if a normal human can undergo the full wrath of the law if he breaks any, then same should apply on them, its simple the law n religion are diffrent
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by 4Play(m): 7:33pm On Apr 12, 2010
The most valid criticism of the Pope and the Church's hierarchy is that it was more interested in protecting the church's image than actually dealing fairly with the abuse victims. This is obviously a general problem with religion as religious institutions see their legitimacy as inextricably linked to their public image. In this respect, the church failed woefully.

Questions have been raised about the role of celibacy. This is for me a very daft question. There is little evidence linking paedophilia with celibacy. To the contrary, paedophilia is a pathological condition as common in non-celibate men, if not more so, than celibate men. S-ex abuse is as rife in secular institutions as they are in religious institutions.

In respect of criminal prosecutions against the Pope, this is more a case of clutching at straws as beyond the hyperbole, there is precious little evidence of criminal conduct on the part of the Pope.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by namski(m): 7:49pm On Apr 12, 2010
This is what we call checks and balances in a society. This is why the western society is where it is today and the exact same reason why the third world nations are where they are as well.

The beauty of it all is that you will be held accountable for your actions or inactions. The western society is not as we have in Africa where abuse of all kinds and manner goes un-punished. I personally believe that this should be extended to Nigeria and I mean to every single church (catholic or not) in Nigeria, maybe we can start from there.

Anyway God bless the Pope
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by EzeUche(m): 7:59pm On Apr 12, 2010
I'll be darn if these atheist touch the Pope!!! angry

Leave the Holy Father out of this mess.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by naijaking1: 8:11pm On Apr 12, 2010
namski:

This is what we call checks and balances in a society. This is why the western society is where it is today and the exact same reason why the third world nations are where they are as well.

The beauty of it all is that you will be held accountable for your actions or inactions. The western society is not as we have in Africa where abuse of all kinds and manner goes un-punished. I personally believe that this should be extended to Nigeria and I mean to every single church (catholic or not) in Nigeria, maybe we can start from there.

Anyway God bless the Pope

Thank you, it's all about checks and balances, and protection of sacred cows of the society.
These sacred cows are lurking all around us; in politics, government, academia, in the catholic, protestant, evangelical churches, and even more in and around the mosques all over Nigeria.
Opportunistics commentators are taking pot shots at the pope, because "sacred cows make the 'juiciest' hamburgers"
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by gidson12(m): 8:25pm On Apr 12, 2010
EzeUche:

I'll be darn if these atheist touch the Pope!!! angry

Leave the Holy Father out of this mess.
what if the pope is guilty
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by MandingoII(m): 8:34pm On Apr 12, 2010
penetrating little boys is a fuggin CRIME!

arrest them ALL!
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by tayo4me(f): 8:42pm On Apr 12, 2010
Religious leader or not, a paedophile is a criminal. Those that cover up the crime too are accomplices, and should also be prosecuted. You people calling holy father, ask yourselves this question- if this dastardly act is committed on your child by your holy father, would you let it go unreported? Let us call a spade a spade and not a farming tool, abeg! If true, what the Pope did is wrong, chikena!
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 8:53pm On Apr 12, 2010
tayo4me:

Religious leader or not, a paedophile is a criminal. Those that cover up the crime too are accomplices, and should also be prosecuted. You people calling holy father, ask yourselves this question- if this dastardly act is committed on your child by your holy father, would you let it go unreported? Let us call a spade a spade and not a farming tool, abeg! If true, what the Pope did is wrong, chikena!

Absolutely !

But remember the pope is not the culprit here .

And it is about time that the catholic church is cleansed from all their false doctrines such as priests not marrying etc.  All these scandals are a resultant aftermath.

Finally the priests should be exposed, all of them and punished and for this I thank God, especially since Paedophilia is legalised in certain cultures predominantly toward little girls while in others it is treated as a crime.

Both cases disgusting !
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Andy1985ng(m): 8:56pm On Apr 12, 2010
We should all thread carefully on this debate. This isn't just anyone, we are talking about the POPE here. Debates on religious beliefs and opinions should be in depth before publishing. In as much as these things happen in the church, i don't see the pope being arrested on this issue. Forget the "freemasions" or "illuminati" stuff. Forces beyond that lawyer's reasoning can't make this see the light of day!
Na waah oh! We really are in the dying stages of this world!
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 8:56pm On Apr 12, 2010
@sagamite, am not a catholic, I don't like most of their doctrines but wat am telling you now is from the bottom of my heart, if you are actually an anti-christ, anti-pope, anti-christians and you don't feel remorse and ask God for forgiveness before tomorrow by 6:00pm, something very nasty, bad and absurd will happen to you that u'll choose better to be dead. try God and see!

Do people realize that global warming is real? How can they still pollute our lovely Earth with such verbal diarrhea?

Debo this is not having a pair of cojones, this is being a cojone.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by eldee(m): 9:43pm On Apr 12, 2010

[size=16pt]Vatican to bishops: follow law, report intimacy abuse[/size]

VATICAN CITY – The Vatican on Monday made clear for the first time that bishops and other church officials should report clerical intimacy abuse to police if required by law. But the policy failed to satisfy victims who charge that the church deliberately hid abuse for decades.
Victims, government inquiries and grand juries have all charged that the Catholic Church created what amounted to a conspiracy to cover up abuse by keeping allegations that priests despoiled and molested children secret and not reporting them to civil authorities.

The Vatican has insisted that it has long been the Catholic Church's policy for bishops, like all Christians, to obey civil reporting laws. In a new guide for lay readers posted on its Web site, the Vatican explicitly spells out such a policy.

"Civil law concerning reporting of crimes to the appropriate authorities should always be followed," the Vatican guidelines said.
That phrase was not included in a draft of the guidelines obtained Friday by The Associated Press. The rest of the guidelines follow previously known and public procedures for handling canonical investigations and trials of priests suspected of abuse.
The Vatican offered no explanation for the addition.
Victims were not impressed.
"Let's keep this in perspective: it's one sentence and it's virtually nothing unless and until we see tangible signs that bishops are responding," said Joelle Casteix, western regional director for SNAP, the Survivors Network for Those Abused by Priests, the main victims' group in the U.S. "One sentence can't immediately reverse centuries of self-serving secrecy."

She said if the Vatican truly wanted to change course "it would be far more effective to fire or demote bishops who have clearly endangered kids and enabled abuse and hid crimes, than to add one sentence to a policy that is rarely followed with consistency."

None of the core public Vatican documents to be applied in cases of abuse direct bishops to report cases to police. Nor does canon law make such an explicit requirement.
Jeffrey Lena, the Vatican's U.S. lawyer, said a 1965 document from the Second Vatican Council, Gaudium et Spes, contained an implicit understanding of the need to follow civil laws that are just.
The vague citation, however, is not nearly as explicit as what is contained in the lay guide.
"It's beyond dispute that the canon law does not mandate non-reporting," Lena said. "These guidelines may help clarify that point for people who are less familiar with canon law."
"The statement confirms what has been long known, that where the civil state creates an obligation to report, bishops like anyone else are required to examine the law and determine what they have to do to obey it," Lena told the AP.
In 2002, after the clerical abuse scandal erupted in the United States, American bishops enacted reforms, which the Vatican made church law for the U.S., that do not specifically order all bishops to notify civil authorities of new claims. Instead, the U.S. policy instructs bishops to comply with state laws for reporting abuse, and to cooperate with authorities. All U.S. dioceses were also instructed to advise victims of their right to contact authorities themselves.
The Rev. Davide Cito, a canon lawyer at Rome's Santa Croce University, called the publication of the universal church policy in the lay guidelines "an important development."
"I'm very pleased," he said. "A Christian also has to follow civil laws. It's a Christian duty."

A Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Ciro Benedettini, said the reporting requirement had been the internal policy of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith since 2003. The Vatican in 2001 shifted its policy on dealing with abuse cases, ordering bishops around the world to refer all cases to the Congregation, which then decides how to proceed. Previously, diocese themselves dealt with most of the cases on their own.

Asked how bishops were supposed to know of this internal policy on reporting to police, Benedettini declined to comment.

Pope Benedict XVI had told Irish bishops last month that they should cooperate with civil authorities in investigating abuse. But the guidelines mark the first time that such procedures for the church at large, in which bishops are explicitly told they should follow civil reporting laws, have been laid out publicly.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100412/ap_on_re_eu/eu_church_abuse

Sebi them dey rain curses before?? See Pope sef don start to dey fear.
Since 1985, imagine how many despoils could have been avoided is this had been done years ago??
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 10:10pm On Apr 12, 2010
@sagamite, am not a catholic, I don't like most of their doctrines but wat am telling you now is from the bottom of my heart, if you are actually an anti-christ, anti-pope, anti-christians and you don't feel remorse and ask God for forgiveness before tomorrow by 6:00pm, something very nasty, bad and absurd will happen to you that u'll choose better to be dead. try God and see!

the post before the above the poster made on NL

@nellaluv, is like I've heare your voice b4, and I just started having feelings for you 30mins ago, plz am serious letz be friends, u'll like my style I promise. just need only your flash and my soul shall be healed 08034822757

id[b]movingcoil[/b] location a village in enugu age 22

you all know the rest.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Andy1985ng(m): 10:19pm On Apr 12, 2010
@nex
wow! seems you are SO smart! Wouldn't want to mess with you but FYI, i never made any claim that made reference to the pope as "mighty" (from your tone, i think mighty meant sinless, ?) afterall, he is human but with a heavenly authority on earth. You seem to have already judged the Pope guilty, be careful my friend. IMO, I just feel it is a cheap publicity stunt by that lawyer.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Sagamite(m): 10:28pm On Apr 12, 2010
nex:

@Movingcoil

all these silly curses that y'all conjure have no effect. One student pastor told me such a thing when I was in the university. He claimed that something terrible would happen to me in six months if I didn't give my life to Christ. Well, I promised him a very hot slap in public if his curse did not take effect. At the expiration of 6 months which I withheld my life from Christ, I went to his fellowship with a couple of friends and when the fellowship ended, I delivered my promise to him.
So if tomorrow comes and nothing happens to Sagamite, what will happen to you?

Don't worry.

Me myself I don set for am. I don speak to Ọrúnmílà, Yemọja and Obàntálá. They have told me they are going to send an ethereal emissary each to him tonight.

When NEPA takes light tonight and he gets a tap from his sleep with the 3 emissaries (Àkèréé, Wáábẹ and Shìgìdì) all painted in black like charcoal, wearing charms and moaning "Mmmmmm, Mmmmmmm, Mmmmmmm". They are going to give him something to swallow. I dare him not to swallow what he is given, lets see whether he would see tomorrow morning when he starts barking like a feral dog and somersaults 3 times (him own go just finish if this happens).
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by JoeMosco(m): 10:31pm On Apr 12, 2010
Amid all errors and oppositions, the promise of christ remains valid- the kingdom of darkness will never prevail over the church.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 10:32pm On Apr 12, 2010
Interestin debate!beliv me if anoda religious leader lets say imam does same,beliv som pals defendin d pope would hav bin spitin fire even without readin d article.ma opinion is dat d pope do wats rite 2 redeem d church image.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 12, 2010
Punkinmusty:

Interestin debate!beliv me if anoda religious leader lets say imam does same,beliv som pals defendin d pope would hav bin spitin fire even without readin d article.ma opinion is dat d pope do wats rite 2 redeem d church image.

Totally out of context !

Who supports what has happened ? No one. It is trully disgusting , but one thing we can be sure of is that justice will be served and christians are horrified by these events.

In the case of an Imam however, marrying and sleeping with a 9 or 13 year old girl is normal and allowed and dare not be questioned. This is state sanctioned paedophilia. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/01/17/saudi.child.marriage/index.html

Both cases are horrifying to say the least. One is a crime the other is a culture.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by Linusman(m): 10:43pm On Apr 12, 2010
Please read this; ''To begin with, the Church has been under siege for centuries, in fact since its beginning, with attacks climaxing in the past one hundred years, since the Masonic cults and the Communists recruited agents who trained in seminaries with the agenda of infiltrating the priesthood and causing havoc from within. Some of these agents have risen to the top and have become Cardinals and Bishops. One documented testimony of these devil’s workers is contained in a book, AA1032, MEMOIRS OF AN ANTI-APOSTLE.

After an automobile accident in Paris, in the 1960s, a Polish priest who lived in the Vatican gave a dossier to a nurse in the hospital before he died, which turned out to be a confession of how he was recruited by the Communist Party in Russia to enter the seminary with a brief on how to subvert the Catholic faith. With his being 1032, it means there were probably thousands. Other accounts have been documented and include voluntary confessions (non sacramental) made to the late Pope John Paul II by dying Cardinals who exposed their own evil. Although priests, being human, are vulnerable to sin and error, a large proportion of sexual immoralities within the clergy and among the religious (monks and nuns) stems from satanic agents. These include homosexuals, lesbians, pedophiles and fornicators and adulterers. The agenda of Christ’s number 1 enemy (the devil) is to have these infiltrators commit atrocities and have their misdeeds revealed in order to cause banner headlines'' Remember, the devil is not relenting. Worse things might heard about the Church.
Re: Critics Call For The Pope To Be Arrested by naijaking1: 11:20pm On Apr 12, 2010
Punkinmusty:

Good point!
Can you imagine a grand sheik or iman being threatened with arrest, then and only then you go see almajiri boys cause more riot than ever imagined in Nigeria.
The muslims too, could learn a thing or two from this incident. R*aping and molesting young people cuts across religion and ethnicity. We have pedophiles who marry 12 and 13 year old children as 4th wives, and we have those that specilize in molesting small boys. Both are criminally insane no matter what your so-called religion says.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Elections: Israeli Firm Debunks Alleged Contract To Jam Networks / Minimum Wage: Obaseki Says N30,000 Not Enough To Take Workers Home / Ogun: RTEAN Members Show Their PVCs During Independence Day March

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.