Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding (72637 Views)

Ebonyi Youths Charter 911 For Relocation Of Fulanis That Arrived At Mid Night / Northern Elders Beg Buhari, Governors To Stop Harassment Of Fulanis, Cows / Fani-kayode Reacts After Tiv DPO Is Interrogated Over Killing Of Fulanis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by BoneBlogger(m): 6:39pm On Jan 18, 2018
A medical doctor and neurologist with Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University in Bauchi state, Nura Alkali, has weighed in on the Fulani herdsmen saga as he revealed how strongly he is opposed to nomadic cattle-herding. The doctor also revealed how he stopped to take pictures of herdsmen fleeing with their cattle in December 2017 after their people were attacked in Numan, Adamawa State.

Read what he shared on Facebook earlier today;

The mutual hatred among us is so pervasive that I wonder if we are truly civilized. In fact, some of us are so hateful that they hate themselves to spite others. You know yourselves. Your landless kinsmen are so much hated that even their infants are killed in cold-blood. But rather than help them acquire land in safer areas, you urge them to remain landless, which in your twisted mind, is a revenge on their enemies.

You are their worst enemy, like it or not. By "you", I mean everyone supporting nomadism while avoiding its dangers and enjoying sedentary life in our towns and cities. I'm also referring to past and present leaders who are ostensibly Fulani but did little to help nomads adopt modern methods of animal husbandry that would allow them lease/own land and access healthcare and education available to other Nigerians.

You are motivated by misplaced ego, but you are not alone. So-called "Fulani leaders" also did little to solve the problem, preferring instead to promise "bringing perpetrators to book" after each deadly conflict over farmland versus grazing land. But why am I not surprised? If the children of nomads can be doctors, engineers, lawyers and accountants like us and our children, who can we oppress again? Who will rear our cattle?

I took these pictures during a trip to Yola from Gombe on 1st December 2017, at around 8:30-9:00 am. These nomads were fleeing Numan, Adamawa State, after a hostile tribe massacred 54 of their women and children a few days earlier. I told my passenger that it was a sign for a revenge attack. I was so sure that I parked to take the pictures. That also gave me the chance to throw a jibe in Fulfulde at a group of herdsmen:

"Nomadism in this age is not bravery, but stupidity. Educate yourself and you would rear cows in comfort". He was aghast, but he still found the voice to tell his comrades that I was talking sense. An uneducated youth of 19-20 years. And here you are, a graduate or postgraduate insisting he should forever remain a nomad. Shame on you. Unfriend me if you hate my opinion since I'll always oppose nomadic cattle-herding.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/01/doctor-speaks-nomadic-cattle-herding-shares-photos-fulanis-fleeing-attack-adamawa.html

68 Likes 17 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by BoneBlogger(m): 6:39pm On Jan 18, 2018

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by ifyan(m): 6:40pm On Jan 18, 2018
Hmm

Why did you guys want to play the victim card.

Did you guys notice something. Before any attack,their tribes men are aware of it.

So tell if this isn't a well coordinated attack not just from those blood sucking animals but from high position.

Oboi the Cattles much ohh

117 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by benzene00: 6:41pm On Jan 18, 2018
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by decatalyst(m): 6:42pm On Jan 18, 2018
Walking the land as if the whole earth belongs to them sad

134 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by ifyan(m): 6:47pm On Jan 18, 2018
U see the beauty of education in the information. If only they will embrace it like there elite.

Guys check am naa,rich northern children no de fine.

103 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by laudate: 6:55pm On Jan 18, 2018
BoneBlogger:
A medical doctor and neurologist with Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University in Bauchi state, Nura Alkali, has weighed in on the Fulani herdsmen saga as he revealed how strongly he is opposed to nomadic cattle-herding. The doctor also revealed how he stopped to take pictures of herdsmen fleeing with their cattle in December 2017 after their people were attacked in Numan, Adamawa State.

Read what he shared on Facebook earlier today;

The mutual hatred among us is so pervasive that I wonder if we are truly civilized. In fact, some of us are so hateful that they hate themselves to spite others. You know yourselves. Your landless kinsmen are so much hated that even their infants are killed in cold-blood. But rather than help them acquire land in safer areas, you urge them to remain landless, which in your twisted mind, is a revenge on their enemies.

You are their worst enemy, like it or not. By "you", I mean everyone supporting nomadism while avoiding its dangers and enjoying sedentary life in our towns and cities. I'm also referring to past and present leaders who are ostensibly Fulani but did little to help nomads adopt modern methods of animal husbandry that would allow them lease/own land and access healthcare and education available to other Nigerians.

You are motivated by misplaced ego, but you are not alone. So-called "Fulani leaders" also did little to solve the problem, preferring instead to promise "bringing perpetrators to book" after each deadly conflict over farmland versus grazing land. But why am I not surprised? If the children of nomads can be doctors, engineers, lawyers and accountants like us and our children, who can we oppress again? Who will rear our cattle?

I took these pictures during a trip to Yola from Gombe on 1st December 2017, at around 8:30-9:00 am. These nomads were fleeing Numan, Adamawa State, after a hostile tribe massacred 54 of their women and children a few days earlier. I told my passenger that it was a sign for a revenge attack. I was so sure that I parked to take the pictures. That also gave me the chance to throw a jibe in Fulfulde at a group of herdsmen:

"Nomadism in this age is not bravery, but stupidity. Educate yourself and you would rear cows in comfort". He was aghast, but he still found the voice to tell his comrades that I was talking sense. An uneducated youth of 19-20 years. And here you are, a graduate or postgraduate insisting he should forever remain a nomad. Shame on you. Unfriend me if you hate my opinion since I'll always oppose nomadic cattle-herding.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/01/doctor-speaks-nomadic-cattle-herding-shares-photos-fulanis-fleeing-attack-adamawa.html
Wow! shocked This is such sound advice! I pray they will take heed. Those educated Fulani millionaires must be blamed, for the lack of progress among their people. sad

118 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by lastmessenger: 6:58pm On Jan 18, 2018
Sometimes I wonder why it is so difficult for these herder's to embrace the modern method of cattle rearing instead of wondering about the whole country destroying farmlands which in turn results to unnecessary clash.
This herdsmen issue can only be solved by a serious government who Will put its feet on the ground and say enough is enough. If you don't own a ranch,then you are not allowed to rear cows.But this present administration has proven beyond reasonable doubt that they are not different from the nomadic herders themselves.

161 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Authoreety: 7:07pm On Jan 18, 2018
Louder bro!

lastmessenger:
Sometimes I wonder why it is so difficult for these herder's to embrace the modern method of cattle rearing instead of wondering about the whole country destroying farmlands which in turn results to unnecessary clash.
This herdsmen men issue can only be solved by a serious government who Will put it feet on the ground and say enough is enough. If you don't won a ranch,they you are not allowed to rear cow. But this present administration has proven beyond reasonable doubt that they are not different from the nomadic herders themselves.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Iceberg3: 7:13pm On Jan 18, 2018
Those malus have brains than coneheads

grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by laudate: 7:18pm On Jan 18, 2018
lastmessenger:
This herdsmen men issue can only be solved by a serious government who Will put it feet on the ground and say enough is enough. If you don't won a ranch,they you are not allowed to rear cow. But this present administration has proven beyond reasonable doubt that they are not different from the nomadic herders themselves.

I love this phrase...."If you don't own a ranch, then you are not allowed to rear cows. " It should be passed into a law!

133 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Nutase: 7:29pm On Jan 18, 2018
angry
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Obudupikin: 7:43pm On Jan 18, 2018
The Doc made a lot of sense.

These herders will be much more prosperous with the ranching system than this outdated nomadic system of rearing cattle.

Also,with ranching they will have more time to engage in other important things in live,get an education etc. And their existence will not only revolve around their cattle.

They can ask Buhari. angry

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by GavelSlam: 7:48pm On Jan 18, 2018
laudate:

I love this phrase...."If you don't own a ranch, then you are not allowed to rear cows. " It should be passed into a law!

Why not kill them already?

Agreed, they need to modernise at the same time the request for allocation of Ranching Land is being rejected across the country .

3 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by laudate: 7:57pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

Agreed, they need to modernise at the same time the request for allocation of Ranching Land is being rejected across the country .
Kill who? shocked Cattle owners (not herdsmen) are not poor people by any standards. How much is a cow? And how many are in a herd? Let them form cooperatives, buy land, liaise with private developers and build ranches. End of story.

93 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by GavelSlam: 8:02pm On Jan 18, 2018
laudate:

Kill who? shocked Cattle owners (not herdsmen) are not poor people by any standards. How much is a cow? And how many are in a herd? Let them form cooperatives, buy land, liaise with private developers and build ranches. End of story.

I am saying there is an opposition to this by various states already.

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Adekdammy: 8:05pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

I am sure you are from the north, you have a large land mass, why can't you give them portion of lands for ranching than walking length and breadth of the country destroying farms.

Or better still, you don't want them to be educated like you so you can continue to use them to play the game of politics to the advantage of the minority elite of the north.

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by abumeinben(m): 8:06pm On Jan 18, 2018
laudate:

Good point.

17 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by GavelSlam: 8:07pm On Jan 18, 2018
Adekdammy:

I am sure you are from the north, you have a large land mass, why can't you give them portion of lands for ranching than walking length and breadth of the country destroying farms.

Or better still, you don't want them to be educated like you so you can continue to use them to play the game of politics to the advantage of the minority elite of the north.

What's this one saying?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by EricBloodAxe: 8:11pm On Jan 18, 2018
Who told this doctor that the foolanis were fleeing? They were only migrating to their conquered territory Benue State where half the state is an emirate and its Tor Tiv peoples answerable to the sokoto caliphate.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by tesppidd: 8:20pm On Jan 18, 2018
The most reasonable write up I have read on the fulani herdsmen predicament.

Actually their worst enemies are the cattle owners who send these peasants out to cater for their cattle instead of encouraging the use of ranches.

This has gone on for decades now.

14 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Ibegtodiffer: 8:25pm On Jan 18, 2018
I have been on Nairaland for close to 10 years. But this is the most sensible and sincere post from my fellow northern brother. The northern elites are the biggest problem of the north. They have decided that the poor must just depend on them. No part of this country has "the stinkingly rich few" like the North. Painfully, poverty is not decreasing here. What is wrong with ranching? I'll tell you.
1. Ranching "will increase expenses" for the affluent whose cows are being ranched (in reality, it won't).
2. The very intelligent Fulani's (believe me, they are) will have formal education, medicare and exposure, which will make the elites less happy. Why, you may ask? Because, they may compete with their Children or decedants over time.
For these reasons, the elites will continue to sacrifice the poor and uninformed masses, to their advantage. God will judge them.
Have you ever wondered why Buhari's daughters married in to the Indimi's family (& the other, a serving Governor?) Same case with Yar'adua's (his soul rest in peace) daughter?
Before I rest my case, I must encourage the young, enlightened northern youths to speak up, else their generation will remain slaves to these blood-sucking-for-wealth elites. #myonekobo
NS: SARRKI, QUOTE ME AND SOMETHING WILL FALL ON YOU!

94 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by tesppidd: 8:25pm On Jan 18, 2018
EricBloodAxe:
Who told this doctor that the foolanis were fleeing? They were only migrating to their conquered territory Benue State where half the state is an emirate and its Tor Tiv peoples answerable to the sokoto caliphate.
Infant reasoning.

This is what we call agbaya in local palance.

Or maybe you just think you're very funny.

15 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by osuofia2(m): 8:34pm On Jan 18, 2018
The Dr said it all...Ranch your cattle

6 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Krafty006: 8:35pm On Jan 18, 2018
herders vs farmers....FG should find a lasting solution.

3 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by nairavsdollars(f): 8:36pm On Jan 18, 2018
How come President Buhari is not grazing his cows ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by yanshDoctor: 8:37pm On Jan 18, 2018
i thought the igbos are good business men and takes opportunities on all kind of trade and business. since the Fulani's are lagging behind,
selling contaminated grazing animals that feeds on bacterial, poor soil formation and infected waters of which doesn't meet healthy standard.

cattle farming is a big business. in the USA cattle are taken to slaughter houses after 3years with massive flash.

well taking care of with access to clean water and feeds that meet up with health standard. why the igbo can not owning up ranches to over take these people over the years, i still don't understand.

4 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Sage7(m): 8:37pm On Jan 18, 2018
You get mind

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Virgohills(m): 8:39pm On Jan 18, 2018
What a country

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by mercyville: 8:41pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

What's this one saying?

He is saying the truth,man...

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Datti Ahmed Bows To Greet Tinubu At Abuja Central Mosque Today (Pictures) / Reactions As Amaechi And Abike Dabiri Clash At APC Rally / Port Harcourt Rivers Named After Lord Lewis Vernon Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.