Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding (72666 Views)

Ebonyi Youths Charter 911 For Relocation Of Fulanis That Arrived At Mid Night / Northern Elders Beg Buhari, Governors To Stop Harassment Of Fulanis, Cows / Fani-kayode Reacts After Tiv DPO Is Interrogated Over Killing Of Fulanis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by slowice(m): 9:49pm On Jan 18, 2018
So much sense in this write up... The truth is the rich fulanis and our so called fulani leaders re the cause of all the fulani related destruction in the land they re unapologetic about it. What wickedness always massaging their stupid egos when ever anyone mentioned fulani herdsmen. The painful part is how they want to force everyone to give lands to their nomadic kinsmen and some hypocrites re even supporting them cos of cheap political gain or ignorance. This must stop! This is 2018, Nigerians must resist this move and force the government to do the right thing for once. Aren't we feed up already.

2 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:51pm On Jan 18, 2018
you are not far from the truth...but those in high places will they wnt to believe you n take it talk seriously? well cattle colonies, fulani or fulani herdsmen time will tell.....

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 9:55pm On Jan 18, 2018
Hollow propaganda.

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by kernel505: 10:01pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

I totally agree.

Over the years, they've had a way they settle with their host communities whenever such happens.

This isn't new.

Like I said, a criminal elements has hijacked their trade which obviously warrants the antipathy exhibited by many people.

Yet I insist we need to be circumspect in how we analyse this.

Having abused the opportunity of free grazing, they should embrace animal husbandry best practices, which is rent a space and do their thing.

7 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Ghost01(m): 10:03pm On Jan 18, 2018
The writer is very correct. Nomadism in this age is an injustice!

3 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by billyG(m): 10:10pm On Jan 18, 2018
tesppidd:
Infant reasoning.
This is what we call agbaya in local palance.
Or maybe you just think you're very funny.
dnt mind him a bad product always expose itself.

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by cyborg123(m): 10:11pm On Jan 18, 2018
dontbothermuch:
Flee & sin no more.
grin grin Guy, wetin s_xy_bstar do you na??

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by nonjebose(m): 10:17pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

Look at the vegetation of the pictures.
I will engage in constructive discourse. The ecological fund allocated to many northern states over the years should have taken care of this. The problem with nomadism is the assumption held and forcefully shoved down the ordinary herdsman's throat by the fulani elites, that it is a cultural practice which must be defended to the death.
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by GavelSlam: 10:25pm On Jan 18, 2018
nonjebose:

I will engage in constructive discourse. The ecological fund allocated to many northern states over the years should have taken care of this. The problem with nomadism is the assumption held and forcefully shoved down the ordinary herdsman's throat by the fulani elites, that it is a cultural practice which must be defended to the death.

Totally agree.

I appreciate that we can see desertification is affecting their trade now more than ever before.

Their leaders have only been paying lip service to issues pertaining to the environment and just like the polio incident it always comes back to bite them.

In saying that, I still believe there is a way out of this debacle. Hiding our heads in the sand can only lead to more deaths . Even now, it is unforgivable the deaths of the innocent victims.

However, I still insist there are 2 separate teams here.

One is the itinerant cattle rearer and the Boko Haram / Political version .

Believe me this incident on New Year's day was calculated and smacks of some evil beyond communal clashes.

There is another dimension.

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by 1shortblackboy: 10:33pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

Look at your maps before making comments.

Some of you are really college read but uneducated not necessarily you.

By the way, I'm no longer Afonja?

Afonja ? I don't use such words. Now tell me why they can't rear their cows in their place of origin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by GavelSlam: 10:37pm On Jan 18, 2018
1shortblackboy:
Afonja ? I don't use such words. Now tell me why they can't rear their cows in their place of origin

I'm sorry I didn't mean that for you.
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by 1shortblackboy: 10:42pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

Look at your maps before making comments.

Some of you are really college read but uneducated not necessarily you.

By the way, I'm no longer Afonja?

Afonja? I don't use such terms. Now tell me why they can't rear cows in their place of origin

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

I asked you to relate it to what I said.

I didn't ask you to copy and paste.

I don't understand why you people feel entitled to other people's land. Why cant you source for free land in the north - worse case, buy land like every other Nigerian for ranching! Are you more equal than the rest of your countrymen?

5 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 10:49pm On Jan 18, 2018
Sagay212:

see how healthy and fat the cows are. but the Fulani herdsmen must trek from north to south, to east to west with cows. They be looking sick like skeletons with their cows. I don't just know how any reasonable human being would love to suffer and be so comfortable with it.
are they telling us the grasses in north are not greeny let them remain in north if they want it that way... no cow colony in south shikina

2 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

I totally agree.

Over the years, they've had a way they settle with their host communities whenever such happens.

This isn't new.

Like I said, a criminal elements has hijacked their trade which obviously warrants the antipathy exhibited by many people.

Yet I insist we need to be circumspect in how we analyse this.

Why do we even have nomads in 2018? Do they vote? Pay taxes?are traceable to deliver them with court summons? Asides from the much loathed state-less gypsies of eastern Europe, I'm not aware of any other nomad community in the world.

Absolutely ridiculous lot.

4 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by laudate: 10:53pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:
I am saying there is an opposition to this by various states already.
Why is there an opposition? Kindly ask yourself that question. sad There is no abandoned land anywhere. Land in the Middle-Belt and the south, belongs to families and communities. In some areas, large tracts are held in trust for the people, by their traditional rulers.

Now govt is planning to take over some of those lands to do .... what? Build ranches for cattle under the watch of Fulani herdsmen, whose antecedents show that they cannot peacefully coexist with others. Their reputation precedes them, and nobody wants to live next door to a blood thirsty and hostile neighbour. sad

Secondly, if govt takes over such land everyone knows that for owners of such land to get paid any monetary compensation by govt, could take years, or even an eternity. At the end of the day, the owners hardly ever get a sum that is close to the commercial value of their ancestral lands or property, which was taken over by govt. undecided

People are wiser now.....

3 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by laudate: 10:55pm On Jan 18, 2018
1shortblackboy:
Afonja? I don't use such terms. Now tell me why they can't rear cows in their place of origin

Good question! sad
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by laudate: 10:59pm On Jan 18, 2018
kernel505:
Having abused the opportunity of free grazing, they should embrace animal husbandry best practices, which is rent a space and do their thing.

Yes, o! shocked I have said it before: let the cattle owners form cooperatives and get investors to help them build ranches in the far North. Govt should not get involved in this cattle ranching business. When cattle rearers sell their cows, do they give govt a share of their profits? And now, govt wants to get land from different communities in various states, and offer it free to cattle rearers.

No private developer has come out to say he wants to buy land to build a ranch, and is willing to pay full commercial value for such land, but was denied land for such a venture. Why?

This is because some communities who have now denied govt access to their ancestral land, would happily offer such land to a private developer once they are assured of good security and prompt payment, that adequately covers the full commercial value of their land. The only caveat is that the villagers or indigenes would insist that such land or ranches, be sited far away from populated homesteads within their community, and adequate security should be provided.

Govt is not offering the farmers or indigenes good security, neither is it going to pay them upfront for their property, so why should they sell their land to govt?

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by ladyF(f): 11:22pm On Jan 18, 2018
I don't get why it's government's responsibility to cater for an individual's business. If they want the land, they should pay for it.

3 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Adekdammy: 11:22pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

What's this one saying?

Truth and you know it's the truth
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by reality1010: 11:29pm On Jan 18, 2018
This s d right time 4 d NGOs,civil societies&other professional bodies to embark on sensitixing d public&d fulani elites who own these cattles on d cost analysis &implications of rearing cattle along d bush part and cattle ranching.They should as well invite experts frm USA,NETHERLAND etc to speak on this issue project d benefits of ranching.Once these things r done,d clashes btw fulani herdsmen n farmers will disappear.The dev that d fulanis will witness in ranching&d entire North will be unprecedented.The will curse who ever tells them to go on herding cattle.
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by reality1010: 11:45pm On Jan 18, 2018
GavelSlam:

Totally agree.

I appreciate that we can see desertification is affecting their trade now more than ever before.

Their leaders have only been paying lip service to issues pertaining to the environment and just like the polio incident it always comes back to bite them.

In saying that, I still believe there is a way out of this debacle. Hiding our heads in the sand can only lead to more deaths . Even now, it is unforgivable the deaths of the innocent victims.

However, I still insist there are 2 separate teams here.

One is the itinerant cattle rearer and the Boko Haram / Political version .

Believe me this incident on New Year's day was calculated and smacks of some evil beyond communal clashes.

There is another dimension.
History tells us of clashes between farmers n herdsmen but education n researches v assisted to to modify seeds,store water,chemicalise rocky land to be fertile and create ranching.Professor Browensky in his documentry:The Craddle of Mankind,told us that man began to dev d moment he stopped sedentry life style.The Jews also experienced dev d moment they stopped cattle herding for ranching.I will recommend dat documentry for d fulanis.

3 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by nonhuman(m): 12:08am On Jan 19, 2018
Fulani's don't flee they change location from time to time. that's their normal way of life
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Nobody: 12:20am On Jan 19, 2018
GavelSlam:

Why not kill them already?

Agreed, they need to modernise at the same time the request for allocation of Ranching Land is being rejected across the country .

if you need land buy it, or is your cattle rearing a government business? you want free land to do a personal business, clap for yourself

3 Likes

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by EricBloodAxe: 1:04am On Jan 19, 2018
[s]
tesppidd:
Infant reasoning.

This is what we call agbaya in local palance.

Or maybe you just think you're very funny.
[/s]
You that is not funny are the foolanis not killing benue indigenes everyday? What have you done to show you are not slaves to the invaders? And yes the tor tivs and the rest of benue state and you included are a conquered territory based on recent news report. Follow the link below and tell me who the joke is upon. undecided

https://www.nairaland.com/4296195/benue-state-belongs-fulani-right
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by akigbemaru: 2:02am On Jan 19, 2018
BoneBlogger:
A medical doctor and neurologist with Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University in Bauchi state, Nura Alkali, has weighed in on the Fulani herdsmen saga as he revealed how strongly he is opposed to nomadic cattle-herding. The doctor also revealed how he stopped to take pictures of herdsmen fleeing with their cattle in December 2017 after their people were attacked in Numan, Adamawa State.

Read what he shared on Facebook earlier today;

The mutual hatred among us is so pervasive that I wonder if we are truly civilized. In fact, some of us are so hateful that they hate themselves to spite others. You know yourselves. Your landless kinsmen are so much hated that even their infants are killed in cold-blood. But rather than help them acquire land in safer areas, you urge them to remain landless, which in your twisted mind, is a revenge on their enemies.

You are their worst enemy, like it or not. By "you", I mean everyone supporting nomadism while avoiding its dangers and enjoying sedentary life in our towns and cities. I'm also referring to past and present leaders who are ostensibly Fulani but did little to help nomads adopt modern methods of animal husbandry that would allow them lease/own land and access healthcare and education available to other Nigerians.

You are motivated by misplaced ego, but you are not alone. So-called "Fulani leaders" also did little to solve the problem, preferring instead to promise "bringing perpetrators to book" after each deadly conflict over farmland versus grazing land. But why am I not surprised? If the children of nomads can be doctors, engineers, lawyers and accountants like us and our children, who can we oppress again? Who will rear our cattle?

I took these pictures during a trip to Yola from Gombe on 1st December 2017, at around 8:30-9:00 am. These nomads were fleeing Numan, Adamawa State, after a hostile tribe massacred 54 of their women and children a few days earlier. I told my passenger that it was a sign for a revenge attack. I was so sure that I parked to take the pictures. That also gave me the chance to throw a jibe in Fulfulde at a group of herdsmen:

"Nomadism in this age is not bravery, but stupidity. Educate yourself and you would rear cows in comfort". He was aghast, but he still found the voice to tell his comrades that I was talking sense. An uneducated youth of 19-20 years. And here you are, a graduate or postgraduate insisting he should forever remain a nomad. Shame on you. Unfriend me if you hate my opinion since I'll always oppose nomadic cattle-herding.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/01/doctor-speaks-nomadic-cattle-herding-shares-photos-fulanis-fleeing-attack-adamawa.html
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by goodnews777: 2:44am On Jan 19, 2018
Native doctor sorry those people don't look like people running away. Whoever has killed or sponsored killings, the blood of those killed will be required of them by God. You kill , you have a case with God Almighty. The one you kill will spend eternity in heaven whilst you will be seen in pain and anguish forever in hell.
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by laudate: 2:48am On Jan 19, 2018
EricBloodAxe:
You that is not funny are the foolanis not killing benue indigenes everyday? What have you done to show you are not slaves to the invaders? And yes the tor tivs and the rest of benue state and you included are a conquered territory based on recent news report. Follow the link below and tell me who the joke is upon. undecided

https://www.nairaland.com/4296195/benue-state-belongs-fulani-right

What on earth are you saying? You must be the only one who did not read the stories about how Benue militias and other Middle Belt groups, have started retaliating against the Fulani, and defending themselves.
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by khristal87(m): 5:39am On Jan 19, 2018
GavelSlam:

Why not kill them already?

Agreed, they need to modernise at the same time the request for allocation of Ranching Land is being rejected across the country .

Y wnt it be rejected? There is more than enough land in the north. Let them do it there...

1 Like

Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by Afrojuju2017(m): 5:42am On Jan 19, 2018
lastmessenger:
Sometimes I wonder why it is so difficult for these herder's to embrace the modern method of cattle rearing instead of wondering about the whole country destroying farmlands which in turn results to unnecessary clash.
This herdsmen issue can only be solved by a serious government who Will put its feet on the ground and say enough is enough. If you don't own a ranch,then you are not allowed to rear cows.But this present administration has proven beyond reasonable doubt that they are not different from the nomadic herders themselves.

The Fulani herdsmen are a minor part of this equation , beyond invasion of farmland and damage to crops and infrequent assault that has been reported they are blameless.

However any attempt to establish modern husbandry standards is capital intensive, a lot of land is required a lot of water is required and a lot of money is what would fulfill that. This is where the rich cattle owners come in

The rich magnates who own the cattle should be brought to book as it is certain they are the ones who pay for the massacres , many of the herdsmen are innocent of the massacres, most don't know how it is organised / if something is not done by the FG and state governments of Adamawa their people may suffer the same faith as that of Benue in the future due to reprisals attacks.

Many of the herdmen are just offering a service of herding cattle that does not belong to them if they loose any cattle they must make account with the owner who then pays the militia to atfack a place.

The myheti group and cattle owners need to be questioned
Re: I Took These Photos Of Fulanis Fleeing; Doctor Speaks On Nomadic Cattle Herding by obaaderemi: 5:52am On Jan 19, 2018
tesppidd:
The most reasonable write up I have read on the fulani herdsmen predicament.

Actually their worst enemies are the called owners who send these peasants out to cater for their cattle instead of encouraging the use of ranches.

This has gone on for decades now.
Buhari should read that doctor's article and learn. Fulani's lives are also at risk due to their nomadic ways and their children don't get the chance to go to school. Their elites , such as Buhari, rufai and sanusi,are their worst enemies. They risk the lives of these herdsmen and send their own children to the best schools around.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Reactions As Amaechi And Abike Dabiri Clash At APC Rally / Ten Most Powerful People In Nigeria 2015 / The Longest Flyover In Africa To be Commission By Pmb In Kano-pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.