Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Five Reasons Women Propose To Men - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Five Reasons Women Propose To Men (1618 Views)

Reasons Women Get Attached To A Man After Sex / 5 Reasons Women Agree To Be Side Chicks. / Man Abroad Sends Ring To Co-worker To Propose To His Abuja Gf On His Behalf(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by PenPrince07: 3:22pm On Jan 20, 2018
It is abnormal for a woman to ask for a man’s hand in marriage, as men are traditionally in the position to do so.

This is due to several age-long beliefs ranging from the man being the head of the home to men being more level-headed to make such decision.

That is a subject of debate, though.

Anyway, let’s continue.

The internet was recently awash and agog with videos of two Nigerian ladies proposing to men.

Last week in Lagos, a lady proposed to her man. Unfortunately, the proposal, which took place at the Ikeja Shopping Mall, was turned down by the guy.

What a scene. You needed to be there.

Many Nigerians, let me be specific, the ”champions of tradition and culture” were drowned in the ocean of surprise.

It was strange.

Listen to what someone told me, in reaction to the videos: ”Even if I was compelled to propose to a man or lose my dear life, I will quickly opt for the latter.”

”What nonsense!” she added.

Some people blamed the lady for not “doing it in secret to avoid embarrassment,” while others praised the her for “shooting her shot,” describing her as courageous.

Yes, it is strange, especially in this part of the world, but in some countries, people are beginning to see nothing wrong with it.

In the United Kingdom, specifically Scotland and Ireland, February 29th every leap year is a day when women can propose to men.

It is also the same in Finland but with an exception: the man will buy a suitor enough clothing if he rejects her proposal.

British monarch, Queen Victoria, leads the pack for women proposing to men.

She proposed to Prince Albert on 15 October 1839 and they were married on 10 February 1840, in the Chapel Royal of St James’s Palace, London.

Data from the United States shows that 5% of proposals are made by women.

But why are Nigerian women now proposing to men? What has changed?

Courage

One of the reasons a lady could propose to a man is Courage.

Some men are believed not to be courageous enough to pop the “Will you marry me?” question for fear of being rejected.

And instead of waiting for ages for the man, the lady takes the bull by the horn and seal the relationship, taking it to another level.

Age Factor

Also, since it is naturally believed that a lady’s ”clock ticks faster than a man’s,” most ladies would not mind popping the big question.

When a lady is in a relationship for a long time, with age no longer on her side and being “harassed” by her mother to bring home a man for “legalised procreation,” she could be forced to make the request and move the relationship to the “permanent site.”

Although she could be rejected but that is deemed better than ageing faster without knowing where the relationship is headed.

Rising Level of Feminism

Heard the saying “What a man can do, a woman can do better?”

Well, that is one of the mantras used in the promotion of feminism; gender equality.

Some proponents of female proposing to men argue that both gender were created equally and thus proposing should not be a “man’s thing.”

Foreseeing A Man’s Prospect

There is another school of thought that believes some ladies propose to men when they see his potentials.

It’s a widely held belief that men tend to struggle financially, especially in their early years.

Thus, many men might shy away, even with potentials of a great future, to “tie the love of his life down” in eternal bliss.

With this, a lady who is in a romantic relationship with a man who she sees prospects in, may not hesitate to “ring the finger.”

If the lady in question is financially stable, the scenario is even likelier to play out.

Fulfillment of Biblical Prophesy?

“In that day seven women will take hold of one man and say, ‘We will eat our own food and provide our own clothes; only let us be called by your name. Take away our disgrace!'” – Isaiah 4:1

There are also some groups of people who see the recent wave of women proposing to men in Africa as a fulfillment of the biblical statement above.

With the level of desperation exhibited by most ladies to marry and bear “Mrs” – a product of societal pressure – this seem, from popular belief, a possible answer to the poser: “should women propose to men?”

As arguments for and against this rage on across the country, it is safe to say that this five reasons explain the paradigm shift of women proposing to men.

https://www.concisenews.global/opinion/five-reasons-nigerian-ladies-are-proposing-to-men/

Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by DaddyKross: 3:23pm On Jan 20, 2018
6) Sex Dolls

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by Hashimyussufamao(m): 3:26pm On Jan 20, 2018
DaddyKross:
6) Sex Dolls
Just keep talking you will say something reasonable one day

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by ubunja(m): 3:32pm On Jan 20, 2018
women never propose the broke men.only the ones with moola or a very sure promise of moola.. so fvck that shit.its for business..
Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by makydebbie(f): 3:34pm On Jan 20, 2018
I can't try that shiit mehn, if I'll even do it, it'll be in private. Incase bros says no, at least I'll carry my L in private.

But I still don't see myself doing it. grin

Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by hibiscus76(f): 3:37pm On Jan 20, 2018
If the uncle now says yes, who'll sponsor the wedding??
Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by donstan18: 3:37pm On Jan 20, 2018
A lady should even be courageous enough to be strong if a man says NO to her, to avoid preying in the hand of a man who'll take advantage of your desperation.
Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by donstan18: 3:39pm On Jan 20, 2018
hibiscus76:
If the uncle now says yes, who'll sponsor the wedding??

The lady will know his pocket before proposing.
Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by hibiscus76(f): 3:45pm On Jan 20, 2018
donstan18:

The lady will know his pocket before proposing.
if you say so
Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by pocohantas(f): 3:47pm On Jan 20, 2018
Which Naija woman propose to man?
Those ones na publicity stunt.

Naija women go weigh your prospects first, then the proposal goes like: "Dare I think I am pregnant, what do WE do?"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by ibkayee(f): 3:48pm On Jan 20, 2018
pocohantas:

Naija women proposal is "Dare I think I am pregnant, what do WE do?"
grin grin
Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by pocohantas(f): 3:50pm On Jan 20, 2018
ibkayee:

grin grin

Na high risk proposal o, only for the brave grin

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 20, 2018
pocohantas:

Na high risk proposal o, only for the brave grin
but there isn't any compulsion or legal authority backing any proposal. If you propose to me and I say yes, I can say No tomorrow.
Re: Five Reasons Women Propose To Men by pocohantas(f): 8:27pm On Jan 20, 2018
majekdom2:
but there isn't any compulsion or legal authority backing any proposal. If you propose to me and I say yes, I can say No tomorrow.

I go add am juju kiss

(1) (Reply)

The Man Have Been Dating For 4years Is Married With Two Kids. need your help ! / Poor Men Love Big Breasts, The Rich Prefer Them Smaller –study Shows. / Guys, Can You Date A Lady That Smokes Weed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.