Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,659 members, 7,816,690 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

(OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? (4099 Views)

Married Men Live In Regret!! They Are SUFFERING!! Don't Be Deceived!! (Photos) / Body Count Means Everything Don't Be Deceived / Married Men Live In Regret!! They Are SUFFERING!! Don't Be Deceived!! [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

(OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 10:43pm On Jan 21, 2018
I implore everyone to carefully and patiently read with an open mind and give their opinions objectively because i am about to dissect the lingering issue of polygamy in the light of the scriptures

I'm not here to promote, support or go against polygamy but I'm just expressing MY UNBIASED OPINION from the scriptural perspective so no baseless personal attacks but lets discuss the subject matter.

There is a new trend in Nigeria where we now see men getting married to two ladies in one day and even flaunting it on social media.

Whilst some people hail the boldness of these men, Some people say "Polygamy is a sin, GOD forbids it..." and i tend to wonder where these people got their doctrines from.

Unfortunately many pastors will never preach what you are about to read because they don't want to lose their female members.

Now Lets take a quick look at this scripture for the definition of sin;

1 John 3:4 “Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness” The question we must ask one another is;If the Law provided for polygamy, how could it be a "sin"?

1.Now what does the law state about polygamy from the scriptures?

In Deuteronomy 21:15-17: If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons but the firstborn is the son of the wife he does not love, when he wills his property to his sons, he must not give the rights of the firstborn to the son of the wife he loves in preference to his actual firstborn, the son of the wife he does not love. He must acknowledge the son of his unloved wife as the firstborn by giving him a double share of all he has. That son is the first sign of his father’s strength. The right of the firstborn belongs to him.

This simple scriptural verse shows that God allowed and regulated polygamy....God chose to regulate it by demanding that each wife must be treated equally. If polygamy is a sin i believe there will be no need for GOD to regulate it rather it will be condemned in clear terms.

Lets also quickly have a run through of the verses in the scriptures that made reference to people who were polygamous and these people were not condemned by GOD.

In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3 , King David had six wives and numerous concubines.

In 1 Kings 11:3 , King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21 , King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.

Judges 8:30.Now Gideon had seventy sons who were his direct descendants, for he had many wives.

Genesis 4:19.Lamech took to himself two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other, Zillah.

1 Chronicles 4:5.Ashhur, the father of Tekoa, had two wives, Helah and Naarah.

There are a lot more verses from the Old Testament that allow polygamy, but I think that the above are sufficient enough to prove my point.

2.Polygamy in the New Testament:

Jesus said: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or theProphets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not theleast stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18) "

In 1 Timothy 3:2, Paul ADVISED general overseers to be husband of one wife but does it make it A SIN for a G.O to have more than one wife?

What about billions of men who are not General overseers...I guess they are excluded.

And talking about the aspiring elders or general overseers who are already polygamous,I'm very certain that Paul will never ask them to divorce extra wives cos that will be contradicting the scriptures which frown against divorce so what happens to them? will they forget their calling?

Many people have tried to use man's philosophy to label polygamy a sin by quoting several scriptures referring to a man and a woman joining together to be one flesh in a singular manner.

The idea of "one flesh" does not mean that the man is exclusive to that woman. It means that at anytime a marriage takes place, it is the joining of one man and one woman(singular)but if a man can be joined as one to a harlot whilst still one with his wife then he can be joined to as many brides as he desires.

Now Let's take a look at this verse

1 Corinthians 6:16
Or do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, as it is written, “The two will become one flesh.”

In essence, the fact that marriage is always expressed in the singular does not mean a man can not be singularly joined to as many women as possible.

3.When polygamy becomes a sin

Romans 13:1-2 clearly states; 'Obey the government, for God is the one who has put it there. There is no government anywhere that God has not placed in power. So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow.

This means if you marry under governmental laws(Registry/court) and it is clearly stated that you can not marry more than a wife and you go ahead to do so, then you have sinned by disobeying the laws. But we all know that there are other types of marriage that are not done in registry hence can be excused from following the monogamous policy of registry marriages.

Whilst i personally think polygamy is not ideal due to its complex nature and often comes with its downsides, but that does not make it a sin. It is also very clear that there was never a place in the scriptures that called polygamy a sin or outrightly condemns it and this is the fact i want the world and indeed women all over the world to come to terms with.

Now let's take a quick look at Mathew 19 vs 8...

Jesus replied, “Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, but it was not so from the beginning.

People may argue that Polygamy was not the original plan of GOD for marriage and they may not be wrong but just like divorce was never an original plan of GOD for marriage but now allowed just as Polygamy is allowed not because GOD wants men to marry many wives but simply because no woman deserves to be without a husband. The hypocrisy today is that many Christians have embraced divorce as a norm but vehemently refused polygamy

Back in the days and even in many instances today, due to patriarchal societies, it was nearly impossible for an unmarried woman to provide for herself. Women were often uneducated and untrained. Women relied on their fathers, brothers, and husbands for provision and protection. Unmarried women were often subjected to prostitution and slavery.

So, it seems that God may have allowed polygamy to protect and provide for the women who could not find a husband otherwise. A man would take multiple wives and serve as the provider and protector of all of them.

While definitely not ideal, living in a polygamist household was far better than the alternatives: prostitution, slavery, or starvation.

In addition to the protection/provision factor, polygamy enabled a much faster expansion of humanity, fulfilling God’s command to “be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth” (Genesis 9:7).

I know this may not make sense to most women but as I wrote earlier...IT'S MY Opinion with vivid scriptural references so let's have your contributions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 21, 2018
In Islam yes God support it

In xtianity no God no support it

On Nairaland, God support one wife with additional sex dolls.

2 Likes

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Daniel2289(m): 10:52pm On Jan 21, 2018
. Stop dwelling in the past. There is no way that God will support Polygamy.

3 Likes

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by SULTANALAUDDIN: 11:01pm On Jan 21, 2018
RadicallyBlunt:

NL: Or One sex doll with additional side chicks.

1 Like

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 11:04pm On Jan 21, 2018
Daniel2289:
Stop dwelling in the past. There is no way that God will support Polygamy.

As for me,I see it as a big NO not because its a sin but too complex for me to handle but our discussion should be focused on the scriptural views about it.

1 Like

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by blackjack21(m): 11:05pm On Jan 21, 2018
There are more than 3,000 Gods.
be specific, which one are you talking about.

2 Likes

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by TSOM(m): 11:14pm On Jan 21, 2018
Does He?

God creates laws and invalidates them as at when necessary to help His children become better persons and live better, more meaningful lives.

The same God of the Old Testament who asked for burnt offerings of animals and presentation of first fruits is the same God who gave His son, Jesus, to die for man's sins and, hence, overriding the need to offer sacrifices to Him as penances of our sins.

The same God who told His children to destroy and kill their enemies without sparing their young or wives is the same God who, through His son, who asked us to be forgiving of our enemies and help lead them to the light.

God surely wouldn't be in support of polygamy 'cause the world has changed ever since Solomon had more women than the days of the year in a Gregorian calendar.

Overpopulation has its ills. Children from polygamous homes have to navigate the maze of life figuring out hard facts on their own.
Dad is too busy placating his last wife so she wouldn't stab his second wife with a fork.
The kids rarely have one-on-one moments with daddy and mummy feeds them 'hate pills' so they'd always be suspicious of their stepmums and half-siblings.
How does a child with that background grow up fully functional?
Need I mention the hanging cloud of disgust and resentment over the home? Is it even a home in the real sense if it isn't as peaceful as loving as a home should be?

God wouldn't want His children to suffer these things.

Then again, it's cowardly to bring God into this. He already gave you the power of choice. He created the biblical Adam to bed and wife Eve; not Adam marrying Eve, her best friend and the girl down the street.

Jacob chose to marry Rachel after getting Leah. Solomon chose to marry in hundreds. Abraham chose to sleep with Sarah's maid, God didn't make him do it.

You chose to wed more than one woman. You chose to bring in more women.

Oddly, all polygamous marriages in the bible had dire consequences.
Joseph got sold by his half brothers.
Ishmael hated Isaac.
David's and Solomon's younglings of polygamous relationships fought themselves. That is God letting you know you'd live with your decision(s).

Live with your decision and cease seeking justification for it 'cause there is none...no rational one anyway. smiley

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Cowbuoy: 11:24pm On Jan 21, 2018
RadicallyBlunt:

grin grin

1 Like

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 11:51pm On Jan 21, 2018
TSOM:
Does He?

God creates laws and invalidates them as at when necessary to help His children become better persons and live better, more meaningful lives.

The same God of the Old Testament who asked for burnt offerings of animals and presentation of first fruits is the same God who gave His son, Jesus, to die for man's sins and, hence, overriding the need to offer sacrifices to Him as penances of our sins.

The same God who told His children to destroy and kill their enemies without sparing their young or wives is the same God who, through His son, who asked us to be forgiving of our enemies and help lead them to the light.

God surely wouldn't be in support of polygamy 'cause the world has changed ever since Solomon had more women than the days of the year in a Gregorian calendar.

Overpopulation has its ills. Children from polygamous homes have to navigate the maze of life figuring out hard facts on their own.
Dad is too busy placating his last wife so she wouldn't stab his second wife with a fork.
The kids rarely have one-on-one moments with daddy and mummy feeds them 'hate pills' so they'd always be suspicious of their stepmums and half-siblings.
Need I mention the hanging cloud of disgust and resentment over the home? Is it even a home in the real sense if it isn't as peaceful as loving as a home should be?

Then again, it's cowardly to bring God into this. He already gave you the power of choice. He created the biblical Adam to bed and wife Eve; not Adam marrying Eve, her best friend and the girl down the street.

Jacob chose to marry Rachel after getting Leah. Solomon chose to marry in hundreds. Abraham chose to sleep with Sarah's maid, God didn't make him do it.

Ishmael hated Isaac.
David's and Solomon's younglings of polygamous relationships fought themselves. That is God letting you know you'd live with your decision(s).

Live with your decision and cease seeking justification for it 'cause there is none...no rational one anyway. smiley

I appreciate your input but I want us to discuss within the scope of the scriptures.

Many people tend to use human philosophy to decipher issues of marriage in relation to the scriptures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by TSOM(m): 12:35am On Jan 22, 2018
Toks2008:

I appreciate your input but I want us to discuss within the scope of the scriptures.

Many people tend to use human philosophy to decipher issues of marriage in relation to the scriptures.
The examples I cited in my prequel post are as scriptural/biblical as can be.

You claim Jesus didn't come to change the tradition of the people but with Jesus' ministerial work came the abolition of burnt sacrifices for atonement.

Jesus didn't come to change the tradition of the people in its entirety but he changed the "an eye for an eye" philosophy and, in its stead, preached peace, forgiveness and tolerance? A complete deviation from what Moses believed in.

JESUS DIDN'T CHANGE THE LAW BUT THE UNFAVOURABLE TRADITIONS HE CHANGED.

There's no law in the bible insisting on men being polygamous. It was just a cultural practice and like such practices, it was subject to change. Changes effected in later biblical times.

I don't need to reel out exact bible passages in quick succession like a sanctimonious, new-generation evangelist fresh out of theological school seeking to impress his first audience instead of focusing on the inferred meanings.

No biblical example and consequence of polygamy I have cited have you been able to dispute. We all attended Sunday school and read the bible in our time so mentioning every bible passage every time is redundant.

Mention one polygamous marriage in the bible which didn't result in rancour and I'd mention monogamous ones which were peaceful. Mention even one.

Marry a thousand wives if you will. Have as many wives as your eyelashes if you want but stop using biblical quotations to justify those choices 'cause men in bible times who made those choices paid for them directly and indirectly.smiley

4 Likes

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 12:41am On Jan 22, 2018
TSOM:

The examples I cited in my prequel post are as scriptural/biblical as can be.

You claim Jesus didn't come to change the tradition of the people but with Jesus' ministerial work came the abolition of burnt sacrifices for atonement.

Jesus didn't come to change the tradition of the people on its entirety but he changed the "an eye for an eye" philosophy but, in its stead, preached peace, forgiveness and tolerance? A complete deviation from what Moses believed in.

I don't need to reel out exact bible passages in quick succession like sanctimonious, new-generation evangelist fresh out of theological school seeking to impress his first audience instead of focusing on the inferred meanings.

No biblical example and consequence of polygamy I have cited have you been able to dispute. We all attended Sunday school and read the bible in our time so mention every bible passage is redundant.

Mention one polygamous marriage in the bible which didn't result in racour and I'd mention monogamous ones which were peaceful. Mention even one.

Marry a thousand wives if you will. Have as many wives as your eyelashes if you want but stop using biblical quotations to justify your those choices 'cause men in bible times who made those choices paid for them. smiley

My broda no be fight o...I'm not advocating for polygamy but I just want us to get it right.

There was no where in the bible that polygamy was written as a sin. The Christians today make things difficult for themselves with human philosophy.

Let's limit our discussion to scriptural evidence and not philosophy.

1 Like

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by karlboss: 12:43am On Jan 22, 2018
TSOM:
Does He?

Ishmael hated Isaac.

Brilliant
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 22, 2018
Religion section >>>>
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by TSOM(m): 12:58am On Jan 22, 2018
Toks2008:

My broda no be fight o...I'm not advocating for polygamy but I just want us to get it right.
I know I come off a tad too blunt with my opinions most times but, trust me, I'm not fighting you;not this time.

There was no where in the bible that polygamy was written as a sin. The Christians today make things difficult for themselves with human philosophy.
There's no where in the bible it is written that NOT defending a child from his abusive parent is a sin. After all, children must obey their parents always (as commanded in the scriptures)...even if that parent is abusive, delusional and evil, right? Yet, defending that child is the moral, right and Godly thing to do even if it isn't a law that we must.
That brings us back to inferred meanings.

God gave you, me, us the power of choice for a reason. You, we are humans - intelligent beings- not lower beings. Our intelligence (guided by Godly principles) should come into play. You aren't ruled solely by instincts.

Again, sir, the discussion and my premises, by extension, thus far have been based wholly on scriptural evidence (of the consequences and redundancy of polygamous marriages). None has been on my philosophy. smiley

1 Like

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Uyi168: 1:06am On Jan 22, 2018
blackjack21:
There are more than 3,000 Gods.
be specific, which one are you talking about.
..didnt u see where op said bible in his post..
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by sapientia(m): 1:08am On Jan 22, 2018
Christians now follow God carnally with their head and not in spirit.

I have always told people that marrying 2 wives is a choice. Paul only advised Bishops through Timothy to be a man of one wife.

Church leaders were already marrying more than one wife and knowing that Pauls Epistles are always reaction to things, he simply advised Bishops to marry one wife.

If it was really an issue, he would have been outright about it. So.. its a matter of choice while understanding that the supposed wahala that comes with it can cost you heaven.

Plus.. works mostly for rich men.. yep.. a wise rich man can marry 4 wives and make heaven.

2 Likes

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Nobody: 1:49am On Jan 22, 2018
Toks this thread would've been interesting if you didn't limit it to religion...

Islam is the closest and 7/10 times it(Pologyny)works.

I think nature permits it. Religion just gives it laws and regulations for the sake of safety and love. So a real polygamous family treat eachother as a unit so there's no such thing as 'Step' mum... All are mums and one dad.

A Jamaican man for example who wants to spread his seed and have 10 baby-mamas is the same as any other polygamous relationship the difference being there's no rules to control the man.

It's nature.

I wonder if a woman can pull of the same thing

(polyandry)

A baby -mama with 4 kids by 4 men is no different to 1 woman marrying 4 men...

It's all technicalities in my humble opinion.

4 Likes

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 5:45am On Jan 22, 2018
Dimples129:
Toks this thread would've been interesting if you didn't limit it to religion...

I think nature permits it. Religion just gives it laws and regulations for the sake of safety and love. So a real polygamous family treat eachother as a unit so there's no such thing as 'Step' mum... All are mums and one dad.

A Jamaican man for example who wants to spread his seed and have 10 baby-mamas is the same as any other polygamous relationship the difference being there's no rules to control the man.

It's nature.

(polyandry)

Unfortunately we are guided by the religion doctrines as either Muslims or Christians so we can't dissociate this topic from religion.

Good insight though.
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 22, 2018
Dimples129:

It's nature.

(polyandry)

no rules to control the woman

fixed

2 Likes

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Greystone: 1:48pm On Jan 22, 2018
Dimples129:

It's nature.

(polyandry)

OMG
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 9:02pm On Jan 22, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

no rules to control the woman
fixed
There are biblical rules.
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Oyindidi(f): 9:03pm On Jan 22, 2018
One wife one husband
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Oyindidi(f): 9:05pm On Jan 22, 2018
RadicallyBlunt:

Wereygrin
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 22, 2018
Toks2008:

There are biblical rules.
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 22, 2018
Oyindidi:
Wereygrin
Lolz
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by jmoore(m): 10:16pm On Jan 22, 2018
How many women did God create for Adam? There lies your answer.
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 10:52pm On Jan 22, 2018
jmoore:
How many women did God create for Adam? There lies your answer.

Another philosophy.

People keep using this example to counter polygamy but we need a verse that condemns polygamy.

1 Like

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 10:30pm On Feb 27, 2018
kas:

Brilliant
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 8:08pm On Mar 01, 2018
Oyindidi:
One wife one husband

Its a matter of choice.
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 8:09pm On Jan 10, 2021
Lalasticlala I guess this would make a good topic for discussion.

I chose to reference you once again after reading comments from the thread presently on fpage about a man marrying two sisters at the same time.

https://www.nairaland.com/6355527/nigerian-man-marries-twin-sisters

Its high time the world sees the truth from the scriptures.
Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Toks2008(m): 8:18pm On Jan 10, 2021
TSOM:
I know I come off a tad too blunt with my opinions most times but, trust me, I'm not fighting you;not this time.

There's no where in the bible it is written that NOT defending a child from his abusive parent is a sin. After all, children must obey their parents always (as commanded in the scriptures)...even if that parent is abusive, delusional and evil, right? Yet, defending that child is the moral, right and Godly thing to do even if it isn't a law that we must.
That brings us back to inferred meanings.

God gave you, me, us the power of choice for a reason. You, we are humans - intelligent beings- not lower beings. Our intelligence (guided by Godly principles) should come into play. You aren't ruled solely by instincts.

Again, sir, the discussion and my premises, by extension, thus far have been based wholly on scriptural evidence (of the consequences and redundancy of polygamous marriages). None has been on my philosophy. smiley

Many people read to reply with a closed mind but they rarely read to comprehend.

You kept going round in circles... I gave vivid scriptural quotes up there without using any carnal philosophy to explain my stand view.

But when you have no scriptural backup, that is when you start to rationalise and try against all odds to believe what you want to believe.

1 Like

Re: (OPINION) Don't be deceived, Polygamy is not a sin? by Magnoliaa(f): 9:03pm On Jan 10, 2021
Toks2008:

Please, where are the verses against polyandry? Or a verse that says polyandry is a sin?

And what do you think of incest, or inter-marriage between distant cousins/relatives and ôral sex - seeing as the former seems permissible and the latter is a SILENT topic in the Bible?

Looking forward to you light-shedding and clear responses. :-)

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Girlfriend Of 3months Slapped Me Because Of TV Remote / Cardi B Accidentally Leaked Her Nude Photo Fans Supported Her With Their Nude / Now I Believe SEX Is In The Mind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.