Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,531 members, 7,823,312 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors (18416 Views)

No Programme Of Event Has Been Scheduled For Osinbajo As Acting President- Today / Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / Gbagauns: President Jonathan’s Grammatical Blunders During His Campaign Speeches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by babsmii(m): 9:19am On Apr 21, 2010
abbeyemmy is right but if you can take your time to roll back the thread a bit, you'll notice the first guy(Mobuch) Beaf attacked on grammatical errors is a lvnatic,

i quote him addressing this to me "Mr young man without issues, English is our language okay, so get that into your head, maybe you are one of those who find it difficult speaking impeccable English.
let me tell you something, I am a complete Igbo man, and I am yet to get the kind of education which our Acting President has, neither have I gotten the kind of exposure he has, but mark my words, I grew up in Nigeria and schooled mainly in the east, yet my English is impeccable and is spoken without any primitive accent. Any white man that listens to my accent here, gets this impression that Nigerians have very good English speaking accents.

We should try and do the right thing, if there is a part of our culture/life and native accent which is faulty, I think we should do away with it, and if there is a part of the western life/ culture which is faulty, then We should reject it and accept the good ones."
now see what the nvisance wrote claiming to be an English major.

he attacked me just because i said i don't think language is a necessity,
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by kazzm: 11:11am On Apr 21, 2010
i have read through the arguments and sincerely both views are valid but one is more important than the other. representing nigerians well in the eye of the world is important but of utmost importance is the delivery of dividends of democracy to nigeria and nigerians. besides,grammar no be our mother tongue and the lesson we all must learn is to stop trying to impress these westerners and do our things our own way.if jonathan likes make he speak pidgin english,just deliver to nigerians,shikena. t.o.k
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by abbeyemmy(f): 12:22pm On Apr 21, 2010
@ Mstom and babsmii,u guys have said a lot.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 3:43pm On Apr 21, 2010
Tell them jare!
Ibori is now running for dear life like a common mouse! Next will be Aondoaka, Abba Ruma, Tilde etc. cool

English indeed! As if 9ja doesn't have serious problems to deal with. Nonsense! cool
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by VEE2010(m): 3:18pm On Apr 22, 2010
@MOBUCH.
I don't blame you because, from all indication, you're suffering from colonial slavery mentality. How I wish you're a little bit exposed, Tell me for how long are we going to be speaking grammar without action? A German do not understand English but better in Technology and so on, It's only in Nigeria that we produces Graduates who can speak good English without creative mind. Can you mention any Non Nigeria Leader who has ever spoken Nigeria Language fluently? Infact, I am ashamed of you. My little advice to you; better learn how to respect those in authority so you can be in authority some day. Empty barrel!!!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Pennywise(m): 3:40pm On Apr 22, 2010
@Poster
Virtually all our serving leaders are guilty of this offence. Have you heard our senate president speak ex tempore? The guy breaks so much bottle all over the place with so much confidence.

Whether you like it or not, they run our lives now. Better to sift through, get the general drift and pray that God is at work in their heart. It does hurt being Nigerian in the midst of foreigners when our leaders embarrass us this way.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by danbasco(m): 5:30pm On Apr 23, 2010
there are lots of expartriates living and working in Nigeria, the lebanese, indians, germans etc, many of them speak horrible english with accents and intonations perculiar with their languages but somehow we admire them.

how come we then mock on our own people from other or our own tribe who have accent to Nigerian languages? it just dont make sense.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Choco5: 6:31pm On Apr 23, 2010
Can you imagine a Nigerian president speaking to Nigerian people with a Nigerian accent? Abomination!

@poster u and ur topic are Completely irrelevant. Does anyone even know what issues he even talked about in the interview? As long as he speaks on issues that are improtant and I can understand what he says, his accent is not important. what accent do you have? Mine is Nigerian.

Afterall he was speaking primarily to the Nigerian people, he's not president of the world
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by VGA: 1:39am On Apr 24, 2010
look at france president, what does he speak ?

nigerians we are too proud as if we know more than the

english people themselves
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by gonyix: 4:44am On Apr 24, 2010
I watched this interview and I think he did not do too badly at all.
Guys remember we had Obj as President, we had Yaradua and I do not want to mention all the other illetrate military juntas we had before.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by splashbaby(m): 1:27pm On Apr 24, 2010
Half baked president + half baked people = Half baked country
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by jamolomo(f): 2:09pm On Apr 24, 2010
@poster the way he 'question' is rite cus here in London we dont pronounce t and u can get to level and do well as he is doing
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 26, 2010
@MOBUCH.
where has excellent English taken you to? if you were very observant you will find that his responses to the questions asked by amanpour were excellent and that is the most important thing. for Christ sake english is just a language like yoruba, housa, tiv or French, it doesn't tell what you carry upstairs. in fact the leaders of most communist nations, middle east, south asia and south America don't even speak English. why?, simply because they don't need it, provided the people they govern can fully understand them, thats more than enough

after all if Christiana Amanpour is very smart, let her challenge Jonathan in GOOD IJAW language
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by dubem3(m): 11:58am On Apr 27, 2010
its a pity that such an interview that i admired due to the ability of the president to analyse national issues without beating around the bush is the same programme some people who claim to be nigerians listened to and all they could hear was accent and grammatical errors.its ok 4 the french man,the irish man,the japanese,the chinese and still counting to have accents or not be able to speak english but a crime for an ijaw man to be guilty of same.NAIJA, where we dey go? we kill ourselves and blame our leaders.i really pray that it is true that our problems are solvable but i see that solution as the product of the mostr extra ordinary miracle.MY PEOPLE,PESIN WEY IM HOUSE DE BURN NO DE PURSE RAT.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 27, 2010
@Celemel, re-your quote: "A PHd holder who cannot speak his lingua franca correctly has low IQ"

grin cool grin cool grin cool ROFLMAO!! Haba, at least AP 'ansad' all of CNN's 'quesions', LOL! Lets see what the guy can deliver.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 1:48pm On Apr 27, 2010
Pennywise:

@Poster
Virtually all our serving leaders are guilty of this offence. Have you heard our senate president speak ex tempore? The guy breaks so much bottle all over the place with so much confidence.

Whether you like it or not, they run our lives now. Better to sift through, get the general drift and pray that God is at work in their heart. It does hurt being Nigerian in the midst of foreigners when our leaders embarrass us this way.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by otitokoro1: 3:04pm On Apr 27, 2010
have you guys listened to christine Amanpour's interview with goodluck jonathan?

I think jonathan's grammatical errors and accent are just too embarrassing and scary.

what do u guys think?

@Poster,

You are sovering from "Poor Daddy Syndrome"
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Stan017: 3:48pm On Apr 27, 2010
Arguements in this forum is a reflection of Nigeria's educational system. We are talkin about a President who cannot make his points in simple and correct english and Nigerians are talking in his favour. Did you listen to that interview? , "To some persons it could be goodluck and to some others it is a disaster", coming from a president? With PHD? Abeg Naija make una think
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by poosh: 9:35pm On Apr 27, 2010
ABEG MAKE UNA LEAVE OUR VICE PRESIDENT ALONE OH
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by ifihearam: 8:26am On Apr 28, 2010
To be very honest,Jonathan was nervous probably because it was his first international encounter and make it worse CNN,his voice was a little bit shaky and his language unconstructive he even babbled in his speech but lets still encourage him over time he would improve.To be frank,when i saw him on Tv my heart panted for him not to fall naijas hand ooo
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by abbeyemmy(f): 5:28pm On Apr 28, 2010
na u na sabi.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by chosen04(f): 5:45pm On Apr 28, 2010
Jonthan really goofed during the interview. Did some one hear him saying(let me paraphrase) ''thats y the constitution is designed in such a way that there are 2 people heading the country at each given period---one is superior and the other inferior''

I PITY the students that guy has lectured. And to remember that he is a PHD holder, one time deputy governor and as well as a governor makes me want to weep for this nation!!

VGA:

look at france president, what does he speak ?
nigerians we are too proud as if we know more than the

english people themselves

Is it by force to participate in a sensitive debate as this?. That why i choose people to debate against.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Gilbertman(m): 1:15am On May 05, 2010
Thanks to@Jakumo and Knotty.I noticed that some half-editing were done on the write-up I posted here.Could you find time to mail me @bertyaw@yahoo.com on how the article should have look?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Gbenge77(m): 8:03pm On Apr 17, 2011
He needs to improve on his sentence structuring.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Thugs Attack Benue PDP Governorship Aspirant After Church Service / "Activists" Complain As Dawisu Is Listed As A Speaker At 'Soro Soke' Summit / "Why Jonathan Could Not Accuse Me Of Corruption" - Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.