Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,651 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors (18415 Views)

No Programme Of Event Has Been Scheduled For Osinbajo As Acting President- Today / Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / Gbagauns: President Jonathan’s Grammatical Blunders During His Campaign Speeches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Jakumo(m): 11:20am On Apr 17, 2010
celemel:

It's no surprise though that most posters on this thread feel no qualms about the personality of our leaders so long as they can deliver electricity (which they haven't any way).

Besides your abhorrence for the use of paragraphs to break up your dense prose, Celmel, there was only one other minor typographical error in your writeup from which I quote the excerpt above, so your familiarity with the rules of written and spoken English cannot be faulted.  While it would be preferable for Nigeria's "elected" leaders to speak and write the English language with such fluency, that linguistic skill is not absolutely VITAL to the effective administration of a country like Nigeria, whose inhabitants speak over 200 native languages.  Professional translators exist for the specific purpose of bridging diplomatic communication gaps, and they can be summoned by political leaders as required, for either domestic or international duties.  

With reference to your stated opinion about the grid electricity supply in Nigeria, I would counter by saying that there indeed has been a discernible improvement throughout Nigeria, both in terms of the number of hours of electricity provided per day, AND, in terms of the smoothness and stability of the supplied voltage and current.  Scores of contributors to a recent discussion thread in this very forum shared the view that there has in fact been MUCH more usable electrical power available in Nigeria over the past few months than there ever was for DECADES prior.  This is EARTH SHAKING news, sir.

While the informal Nairaland opinion poll does not by any means constitute an exhaustive numerical analysis of the situation, anecdotal observations made here do tally with general public opinion throughout Nigeria, with a rapidly decreasing number of exceptions to the trend, likely due to the inevitable failure of ageing transmission equipment and cables suddenly placed under full power loads.  President Jonathan Gooduck never claimed that every Nigerian household, industry, school and hospital in Nigeria now receives continuous electrical power, yet the tangible results produced subsequent to his direct takeover of the federal electrical utility company are widely evident AND statistically significant.

[size=16pt]Goodluck / Fashola  or Fashola / Goodluck for President of Nigeria 2011. [/size]
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 11:22am On Apr 17, 2010
[size=14pt]"A real leader faces the music, even when he doesn't like the tune."[/size]
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 11:24am On Apr 17, 2010
mobuch:

@ babsmii

Mr young man without issues, English is our language okay, so get that into your head, maybe you are one of those who find it difficult speaking impeccable English.
let me tell you something, I am a complete Igbo man, and I am yet to get  the kind of education which our Acting President has, neither  have I gotten  the kind of exposure he has, but mark my words, I grew up in Nigeria and schooled mainly in the east, yet my English is impeccable and is spoken without any primitive accent.  Any white man that listens to my accent here, gets this impression that Nigerians have very good English speaking accents.

We should try and do the right thing, if there is a part of our culture/life and native accent which is faulty, I think we should do away with it, and if there is a part of the western life/ culture which is faulty, then We should reject it and accept the good ones.

You don't even know basic tenses and yet you feel you are the right person to criticise others. Learn English first, after that people might take you a bit seriously when you complain about a leaders diction.
The rubbish up there that you call "impeccable English" is only laughable dross. But they say "empty barrels make the most. . ." Please complete the phrase for a revelation. grin grin grin
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by celemel(m): 11:34am On Apr 17, 2010
Maybe, we need to turn the thread to that of highlighting "common mistakes in english language".  It may pay off. It's like, a great majority of our people don't even understand the rules of grammar. Plenty of us won't do better than uncle GEJ. Take a look:

be rest assured his next outing would be a much more better interview
You either "rest assured" or "be assured" not "be rest assured". Tautology!   grin  shocked

@JAKUMO: I stand by my statement.  There's no statistical basis for your conclusion. My house in Abuja has experienced less power now, than in the last 6 months.  Same as in Lagos.  Also in Calabar, we mostly get power at night (as it was before).  (This post is powered with laptop battery. PHCN disappeared at daybreak as is customary) Communication is key in leadership. The first quality of a good manager is his ability to communicate. Anything short of that isn't good enough for a country of a hypothetical 150 million (a number I still dispute for we are less than that, any way!)
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by AbuMaryam1(m): 11:36am On Apr 17, 2010
This thread has no anything of important let it be over, Jonathan has spoken and well understood by the audience. shike nan!!!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 11:38am On Apr 17, 2010
celemel:

Maybe, we need to turn the thread to that of highlighting "common mistakes in english language".  It may pay off. It's like, a great majority of our people don't even understand the rules of grammar. Plenty of us won't do better than uncle GEJ. Take a look:
You either "rest assured" or "be assured" not "be rest assured". Tautology!   grin  shocked

What about the thread starter himself? The dude has contributed kernel cracking samples of ibon to this thread! grin
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 11:41am On Apr 17, 2010
celemel:

@JAKUMO: I stand by my statement. There's no statistical basis for your conclusion. My house in Abuja has experienced less power now, than in the last 6 months. Same as in Lagos. Also in Calabar, we mostly get power at night (as it was before). (This post is powered with laptop battery. PHCN disappeared at daybreak as is customary) Communication is key in leadership. The first quality of a good manager is his ability to communicate. Anything short of that isn't good enough for a country of a hypothetical 150 million (a number I still dispute for we are less than that, any way!)

. . .And which of our numerous Heads of State and Presidents has ever had command of English? I feel English is just being used as an attack vector on Uncle Joe, because nothing else can be found. It's truly pathetic.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 11:42am On Apr 17, 2010
If we are now statistically analysing data and publically making inferences from data on electricity provision within Nigeria, can somebody quickly forward me the link to the data being analysed.

Let me draw my own conclusions after analysing the data myself - I choose not to rely on the hypothesis some are trying to make without granting access to the data they have apparently studied.

And I would prefer quantitative rather than qualitative data! I want the raw data!

I'm waiting -  cool
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by celemel(m): 11:46am On Apr 17, 2010
@ Abu-Maryam:

This thread has no anything of important let it be over, Jonathan has spoken and well understood by the audience. shike nan!!!
Geskiya!! Sanu de aiki!!!!! (Your own is Made in Japan!)
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 11:48am On Apr 17, 2010
Sun of god:

If we are now statistically analysing data and publically making inferences from data on electricity provision within Nigeria, can somebody quickly forward me the link to the data being analysed.

Let me draw my own conclusions after analysing the data myself - I choose not to rely on the conclusions some are trying to make without granting access to the data they have apparently studied.

And I would prefer quantitative rather than qualitative data! I want the raw data!

I'm waitingcool

Just playing on the discussion theme. . . Do you want raw data on Jonathans diction at the time he took on the mantle of improving electricity supply; or do you want raw data on if electricity supply has actually improved? wink
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 11:51am On Apr 17, 2010
Preferably month by month or even week by week data on electricity transmission and consumption covering the lasts 12-24 months. (Up to and including yesterday)

If you can break it down state by state, or ideally town by town.

In excel format!, (Vista -  cool )
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by AbuMaryam1(m): 11:52am On Apr 17, 2010
celemel:

@ Abu-Maryam:
Geskiya!! Sanu de aiki!!!!! (Your own is Made in Japan!)

[/quote
I tot wat matters in communication is understanding not the skills. in my opinion Jonathan is perfect. I stand to be corrected.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by KnowAll(m): 11:53am On Apr 17, 2010
"be rest assured".  Tautology

English is an evolving language, there are no rigid stipulated rules like what transpired in the past. What was spoken in the 1600's as English would not be understood by mordern day speakers of the language. The language is more flexible due to the Americanization of the language.

" Be rest assured"  is not tautology but re-affairming,  it is a morden way of re-emphasising with a higher degree of certainity that what happened in that interview would be better next time. Tautology was something wholesomely touted rigidly in the 1950's and 1960's with little or no significance to mordern day writing. Mordern writing is all about imaginative writing, it is like an art.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 12:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
Sun of god:

Preferably month by month or even week by week data on transmission and consumption covering the lasts 12-24 months.

If you can break it down state by state, or ideally town by town.

In excel format!,

(Vista - cool )

Good request (in English wink).

One of Nigeria's most serious problems is corruption. You will find that it is so pervasive that although we are an oil producer; out of corruption, we have run down our refining infrastructure (elite pockets that aren't filled with bunkering lucre are, instead lined with the proceeds of fuel importaion).
In order to oil the wheels (so to speak grin) of such everyday corruption, statistics have become an impediment and enemy of the Nigerian state. Where would that Excel sheet come from? On second thought, for a small fee, you could get as many versions as you want (all with differing figures).
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by celemel(m): 12:03pm On Apr 17, 2010
@BEAF:
Attack vector? Who's attacking who? And why bring matrix into the picture? Maybe, you believe I'm from the "cabal" side! I must quickly say, I'm 100% Niger Deltan.  I'm a proud one at that! I'm also proudly Nigerian! We can only make progress when we demand the best of everything from our leaders, irrespective of their tribal colorations. For far too long, we've been coccooned within the limited shells of our circumstantial ethnic origins, and we tend to only see things from that narrow prism.  That blinds us from the bigger picture and our potential ability to "reach the skies" and "break the glass ceiling" given the abundance of our resources. It's the reason we must be vigilant, refuse to praise-sing them into stupor and demand as of right, that they harness our abundant endowments to serve us well and above all, give us the right to freely chose who is best to be our leader.  Goodluck is just one out of millions of other very good people who have the capacity to give us effective leadership.  I have nothing against him. If he does well, I'll thank him and if he gets a less-than-good outing, we should be willing to have our say so.  That would make him sit up and ultimately lead him to becoming a better leader!

@ALL:
I don't believe in power rotation (or zoning) just for the heck of it.  I believe in good and quality leadership, irrespective of where it comes from!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by celemel(m): 12:09pm On Apr 17, 2010
@KNOWALL:

Be rest assured was wrong 2,000,000 years ago, is wrong today and would be wrong in 5000 years' time in America, UK, Japan, Nigeria and in heaven! Every language has rules. This one cannot be an exception!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by lawrytee(m): 12:13pm On Apr 17, 2010
Well,i am yet to listen to him granting interviews or giving a public talk but i am not surprised as we have always had leaders that are not educationally suitable for that highest position in Nigeria.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 12:15pm On Apr 17, 2010
celemel:

@BEAF:
Attack vector? Who's attacking who? And why bring matrix into the picture? Maybe, you believe I'm from the "cabal" side! I must quickly say, I'm 100% Niger Deltan.  I'm a proud one at that! I'm also proudly Nigerian! We can only make progress when we demand the best of everything from our leaders, irrespective of their tribal colorations. For far too long, we've been coccooned within the limited shells of our circumstantial ethnic origins, and we tend to only see things from that narrow prism.  That blinds us from the bigger picture and our potential ability to "reach the skies" and "break the glass ceiling" given the abundance of our resources. It's the reason we must be vigilant, refuse to praise-sing them into stupor and demand as of right, that they harness our abundant endowments to serve us well and above all, give us the right to freely chose who is best to be our leader.  Goodluck is just one out of millions of other very good people who have the capacity to give us effective leadership.  I have nothing against him. If he does well, I'll thank him and if he gets a less-than-good outing, we should be willing to have our say so.  That would make him sit up and ultimately lead him to becoming a better leader!

@ALL:
I don't believe in power rotation (or zoning) just for the heck of it.  I believe in good and quality leadership, irrespective of where it comes from!

Hmmm! I'm only keeping with the direction of the thread. According to this "impressive" post, your people have deficient languages that detract from their ability to speak English, and when they make an attempt, they  have a way of mixing it with Pidgin English; https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-430684.96.html#msg5896604 .

You still think everyone here is arguing innocently?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by KnowAll(m): 12:17pm On Apr 17, 2010
Be rest assured was wrong 2,000,000 years ago, is wrong today and would be wrong in 5000 years' time in America, UK, Japan, Nigeria and in heaven! Every language has rules. This one cannot be an exception!

I would not be drawn into an inconclusive argument that would eventually pale into insignificance, sooth yourself Mr man and believe what u like.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by BBCLagos: 12:28pm On Apr 17, 2010
My people we try too hard to copy other people.Everybody has an accent, hear the Chinese, Malaysian, even in England you can have several accents, people from Newcastle for instance Jordies have a deep accent, people from the midlands also have a distinctive accent. We should learnto tolerate and be proud, accents are not errors, they simply identify people.It should be noted that he is a scholar with a PH.d which he studied for not acquired .My thinking is that we Nigerians should simply put him to task regarding the comments he has made in the electronic media internationally.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by ayettymama(f): 12:39pm On Apr 17, 2010
BBCLagos:

My people we try too hard to copy other people.Everybody has an accent, hear the Chinese, Malaysian, even in England you can have several accents, people from Newcastle for instance Jordies have a deep accent, people from the midlands also have a distinctive accent. We should learnto tolerate and be proud, accents are not errors, they simply identify people.It should be noted that he is a scholar with a PH.d which he studied for not acquired .My thinking is that we Nigerians should simply put him to task regarding the comments he has made in the electronic media internationally.

your very right, nigerians arent the only ones with this problem
even in london, people look down on people with certain accents
its a norm an accent or slang is a culture, if most of these people heard members of the british royal family speak they'd be very surprised
we should begin to respect and appreciate each other and our cultural differences, thats the point of all of us bein joined together on earth!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 17, 2010
PLEASE AISHA AND KOSOVO, CLOSE THIS THREAD BEFORE I LOOSE MY SANITY.

There seems to be an avalanche of grossly uneducated minds on Nairaland and it is really a pity.
  This is really a sad commentary on the state of education in Nigeria, where  a supposedly Phd holder is given excuses for his inadequacies.

I weep  for this country and its just so sad sad

The so called improvement in power situation  is just a farce, there is no statistic or accurate data to back it up.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 1:10pm On Apr 17, 2010
mobuch:

PLEASE AISHA AND KOSOVO, CLOSE THIS THREAD BECAUSE [size=14pt]I HAVE LOST MY SANITY[/size].

I am a one man avalanche of grossly uneducated minds on Nairaland and it is really a pity. grin grin grin
  This is really a sad commentary on the state of education in Nigeria, where  a supposedly Phd holder is given excuses for his inadequacies.

I weep  for this country and its just so sad sad

The so called improvement in power situation  is just a farce, there is no statistic or accurate data to back it up.

grin
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 1:13pm On Apr 17, 2010
PLEASE AISHA AND KOSOVO, CLOSE THIS THREAD BEFORE I LOOSE MY SANITY.

There seems to be an avalanche of grossly uneducated minds on Nairaland and it is really a pity.
This is really a sad commentary on the state of education in Nigeria, where a supposedly Phd holder is given excuses for his inadequacies.

I weep for this country and its just so sad angry angry

The so called improvement in power situation is just a farce, there is no statistic or accurate data to back it up. tongue tongue tongue
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by olap001(m): 1:22pm On Apr 17, 2010
You need to watch it with 'transcribe audio' turned on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUAEBfhzjgM&feature=youtube_gdata
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by OluwaKANYE: 3:24pm On Apr 17, 2010
How the heck did this topic made it to the front page? It is embarrassing that the mod/seun or whoever is in charge allowed it. English is not your murda fu.ckn language Nigerians and an accent just identifies you with your origin d.ammmn!! people pay attention to frivolous things, we should be more concerned about what he has to offer and not how he delivers his speech. I have a problem with his charisma though but heck who cares, i'm more interested in better governance even if pidgin is the medium of communication.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 3:30pm On Apr 17, 2010
How the heck did this topic made it to the front page? (OluwaKANYE)

Answer - Possibly because of grammar like your own being used in public!

Its a concern to many Nigerians who are considering who's best to lead the country in 2011.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{There seems to be an avalanche of grossly uneducated minds on Nairaland and it is really a pity. smiley}
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by OluwaKANYE: 3:38pm On Apr 17, 2010
Sun of god:

How the heck did this topic made it to the front page? (OluwaKANYE)

Answer - Possibly because of grammar like your own being used in public!

Its a concern to many Nigerians who are considering who's best to lead the country in 2011.

Look nobody cares what medium is being used to communicate, China is way ahead of you and English isn't their language, all you lot can think of is the number of grammatical errors your president made while ignoring the big issue. Come on man stop embarrassing yourself and cut the president some slack, let him tackle the problem however medium best suited.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2010
OluwaKANYE:

Look nobody cares what medium is being used to communicate, China is way ahead of you and English isn't their language, all you lot can think of is the number of grammatical errors your president made while ignoring the big issue. Come on man stop embarrassing yourself and cut the president some slack, let him tackle the problem however medium best suited.

If people like OLUWAKANYE  and BEAF represent the future generation of Nigerians, I am afraid then that Nigeria is already a failed project, because majority of the youths who are meant to be the ones to run the ship of the state called Nigeria, are  gross illiterates and completely unredeemable.

It is just a pity, I shed tears for motherland. cry sad sad angry
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by OluwaKANYE: 4:06pm On Apr 17, 2010
Lame conversation, it would have been different if I was having this kind of discussion with an English professor at Harvard University. Have fun educating your president and the less educated, Mr. grammarian.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by agitator: 4:07pm On Apr 17, 2010
There are so many professor in Iran, Pakistan, India, etc who don't speak English fluently yet they are way ahead of us.  What has English language got to do with a science inclined person.  Nigerians with misplaced priorities.  That's the why they ask people who want to study engineering to obtain a credit in English language whereas even in Britain and USA it is not so, students gain admission with a simple pass in English language, except you are a foreign student.

Most of our policy makers who now made credit  in English language a requirement for admission into the universities got admitted into the same universities with a pass likewise the social science/art based courses got admitted with a pass in Maths.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 4:10pm On Apr 17, 2010
mobuch:

If people like OLUWAKANYE  and BEAF represent the future generation of Nigerians, I am afraid then that Nigeria is already a failed project, because majority of the youths who are meant to be the ones to run the ship of the state called Nigeria, are  gross illiterates and completely unredeemable.

It is just a pity, I shed tears for motherland. cry sad sad angry

Yeah, watch Beaf. I am not an empty barrel looking for petty errors in the next person, rather the substance and spirit in which my neighbour operates are what matter to me.
Stop being shallow.
Did I say watch Beaf? . . .Glue your eyes, Charlie because, by the grace of God, great things will flow out of me to Nigeria. No long tin! I represent the future. cool cool cool

Olodo dynosaur! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

2019: APC Won’t Relinquish Power If They Lose – Senator Abaribe / VAT: Lagos, Oyo, Rivers, FCT Subsidise 33 States / Sylva: I Remain APC Governorship Candidate In Bayelsa State State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.