Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,127 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! (16344 Views)

Hameed Ibrahim Ali Flies Jet To Lagos (Photos) / Welcome To Hell (graphic, Very Disturbing Photos) / A 1967 “Welcome To Nigeria” Billboard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gamine(f): 4:01pm On Apr 23, 2010
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by bilymuse: 4:26pm On Apr 23, 2010
Just watched the pt2, shame on all Ogun student, except if that maga is not an undergraduate
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Eziachi: 4:59pm On Apr 23, 2010
The reaction of many Nigerians irked by the greatest service a foreign media has done them by highlighting a sort of Nigeria many like myself never knew existed, reminds me something that happened during my secondary school days before the civil war broke out. I was a student then of the famous Bishop Shanahan College in the then old Orlu divisional province in the Eastern region.
We were told by our then principal (A white Priest) that the deputy premier of the region (Dr Ibiam) and other government officials will be visiting our school and few day to the visit, the Orlu provincial council chairman then breezed into our school asking that so many things be changed for the visit. Asking that unpaved tracks within the school should be covered and all sorts of cosmetic changes should be affected to impress out august visitor (Dr Ibiam).
But our white Priest Principal was furious and told him to go to hell. He said that it will be stupid to make the school cosmetically look good beyond what it will normally look. That it will serve us better for the politician and his entourage to witness how we will look normally, so that he can address our needs instead of pretending to be alright or showing off a false image that doesn’t match with reality of our school everyday life.
And that is what we did, even though we cleaned up the school but we made no attempt to hide our short comings and you know what, when Dr Ibiam left, few months later, he commissioned that we get a brand new laboratory, a new dining hall, three new sets of football jerseys because he was shown our old ragged one and then demanded that all road leading into the school and all the dusty road inside the school to be tarred with immediate effect and within eight months after his visit we got all that. Unfortunately the whole thing was bombed down by the Nigerian air force during the war.
So in a country that means business and values progress, BBC should have been congratulated for showing the real Nigerians that live a life without the oil wealth. Those in government should have admitted that many years of neglect created these slums but they are doing something now about them gradually, probably ask the BBC to come back in a couple of years time to see the difference in the area or the individual characters featured on the programme. Instead you have the half baked morons of citizens and their corrupt elite rulers and good for nothing diplomats complaining on why the wrong people were shown instead the normal faces on the NTA networks. This programme has shown the world that an average Nigerian is peaceful, hardworking and not everybody does 419 and it’s not poverty per-say that drove the people into 419 but greed. But our useless Nigerians will not see the positive from the programme because they are not use to the truth. They preferred to be lied to instead.
Now you can see why every nation had the kind of leaders they got. The reason being the governed.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gunnaz007: 8:43pm On Apr 23, 2010
Waohh!!! "This is the only place in the world were you have to pay for refuse to be dumbed in front of your house" LWKMD!!!!

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by DESTINYJ: 11:18pm On Apr 23, 2010
Sorry peeps, the last part of the series has nothing to do with lekki or ikoyi, link below

"The last film is set on a beach right in the heart of the swankiest part of town. It sounds idyllic - white sands, clear blue Atlantic waters, baking hot sunny days - and in many ways it is.

But it is also home to 1,000 or so squatters, who have built homes on the sand because they have nowhere else to go. After a couple of trips, walking along the sands, explaining what we were doing to the inquisitive children, we met Esther, a sparky, intelligent, beautiful young woman who had been staying on the beach for the last six years"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/04/welcome-to-lagos-itll-defy-you.shtml
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Gamine(f): 1:01am On Apr 24, 2010
From that BBC link, i saw this comment

137. At 01:17am on 22 Apr 2010, Hetoma wrote:
It is interesting that this documentary has generated so many comments on this site and beyond.

Will Anderson has produced a programme that suits his purpose and I feel sure, he hopes will boost his career. The BBC decided to air a programme that suites their purpose. Whether or not their intentions were for the best interest of Nigeria is irrelevant. It is perhaps silly of us Nigerians to expect others to clean up our mess. We can not keep expecting others to show Naija in the best light to the rest of the world; we must do that ourselves.

It was upsetting to see yet another obscene programme about Naija. Like many have commented, I was watching the UK election debate by the leaders of the top 3 political parties when a friend called to remind me of this programme. I immediately changed the channel to find out who was invited to and being received in Lagos.

I was soon captivated by one of the characters - Joseph. The quality of his English grammar, philosophy, smiles and his general persona seemed at odds with his situation and the environment. I soon concluded that the guy must have had a good education or exposure of sort.

[b]Moreover, the more I watched the more I was drawn to Joseph. It gradually became apparent why I was so drawn to him. He had seemed uniquely familiar and the more I observed him the stronger I felt. Suddenly it dawned on me - it was Joe, my classmate at Ojota Secondary School, Lagos about 21 years ago. I quickly called another friend here in London who had attended the same secondary school. His thoughts were same as mine.

I struggled to sleep that night as I thought of Joe. He was a brilliant mate, sociable and funny. We nicknamed him “The Incredible Hulk” because of his raw physical strength. He also had fine drawing skills and did well in Fine Art. Joe always wore a smile and was ever so kind, gentle, friendly and always willing to help; a genuinely pleasant guy to be around. I have been thinking of Joe since I watched the programme. His lovely daughter took my breath away. No wonder her mother said she would support her in whatever she chooses to do.

May I call on all that may be interested (particularly the 2 contributors I noticed share my interest in Joseph) to join me and my friends in doing something for him? At present I have no direct contact with Joe but I intend to explore all means to reach him. It would be highly appreciated if the producer and the BBC can help in this regard, particularly by linking us up with Joe and collecting the money we raise and passing on to Joe. I feel sure he will excel if given the opportunity.
[/b]
As may have been noticed, I grew up in Lagos. Then I went to Uni in Benin, worked in Banking in Lagos before moving to London some years ago to continue my career. I haven’t been back for 4 years but for this purpose I intend to go back and meet with “The Incredible Hulk” after so many years.

Particularly, I intend to understand what happened to him after school and how our fortunes drifted so far away despite out similar backgrounds. It would be a pleasure to see his children get the best possible education to the best of their abilities.

In conclusion, can the BBC please present a balanced view of Nigeria and other developing countries in future programmes? Thank you.

Oh life!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Kobojunkie: 1:07am On Apr 24, 2010
Na real life ooo. . . . I lot of my old school mates are still unemployed in the same Lagos ooo. Even the class MATH GENIUS eeks out a living somewhere on the streets today. it tears me!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by DESTINYJ: 12:02pm On Apr 24, 2010
Am interested in helping, pls let me know when anybody finds him.
God bless.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by thameamead(f): 1:16pm On Apr 24, 2010
Gamine:

Oh life!

let me know if u ever find him, i would love to help him as well
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by thameamead(f): 1:21pm On Apr 24, 2010
Gamine:

Oh life!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by EloSela(f): 5:25pm On Apr 24, 2010
Part 2 now on YouTube.

[flash=400,345]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/HQZFy0K5v0I&feature=related[/flash]

Part 1 of 2 above. You should be able to find subsequent parts on there 2
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by uzooma4837: 7:41pm On Apr 24, 2010
as Gamine has commented; i would therefore believe that people featured on the welcome to lag program were not actors but real people going about their normal business. thats what reality TV is all about. welcome.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by stkitts1(f): 2:29pm On Apr 25, 2010
[/quote]The reaction of many Nigerians irked by the greatest service a foreign media has done them by highlighting a sort of Nigeria many like myself never knew existed, reminds me something that happened during my secondary school days before the civil war broke out. I was a student then of the famous Bishop Shanahan College in the then old Orlu divisional province in the Eastern region.
We were told by our then principal (A white Priest) that the deputy premier of the region (Dr Ibiam) and other government officials will be visiting our school and few day to the visit, the Orlu provincial council chairman then breezed into our school asking that so many things be changed for the visit. Asking that unpaved tracks within the school should be covered and all sorts of cosmetic changes should be affected to impress out august visitor (Dr Ibiam).
But our white Priest Principal was furious and told him to go to hell. He said that it will be silly to make the school cosmetically look good beyond what it will normally look. That it will serve us better for the politician and his entourage to witness how we will look normally, so that he can address our needs instead of pretending to be alright or showing off a false image that doesn’t match with reality of our school everyday life.
And that is what we did, even though we cleaned up the school but we made no attempt to hide our short comings and you know what, when Dr Ibiam left, few months later, he commissioned that we get a brand new laboratory, a new dining hall, three new sets of football jerseys because he was shown our old ragged one and then demanded that all road leading into the school and all the dusty road inside the school to be tarred with immediate effect and within eight months after his visit we got all that. Unfortunately the whole thing was bombed down by the Nigerian air force during the war.
So in a country that means business and values progress, BBC should have been congratulated for showing the real Nigerians that live a life without the oil wealth. Those in government should have admitted that many years of neglect created these slums but they are doing something now about them gradually, probably ask the BBC to come back in a couple of years time to see the difference in the area or the individual characters featured on the programme. Instead you have the half baked morons of citizens and their corrupt elite rulers and good for nothing diplomats complaining on why the wrong people were shown instead the normal faces on the NTA networks. This programme has shown the world that an average Nigerian is peaceful, hardworking and not everybody does 419 and it’s not poverty per-say that drove the people into 419 but greed. But our useless Nigerians will not see the positive from the programme because they are not use to the truth. They preferred to be lied to instead.
Now you can see why every nation had the kind of leaders they got. The reason being the governed[quote]

Eziachi, God bless you for this truth!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by uzooma4837: 2:56pm On Apr 25, 2010
Welcome to Lagos 3

Thursday 29th April on BBC2 from 9:00pm to 10:00pm

Welcome to Lagos

BBC2
Three-part series exploring one of the most extreme urban environments on the planet. This last episode follows Esther, who lives in a scrap house on the beach in central Lagos. Her village has repeatedly been bulldozed by government task forces, but each time she and the thousand or so other inhabitants would pick up the pieces and build another one. There is also a look at the Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences Enforcement Unit, which targets illegal dwellings all over the city. AD SUB. ref: http://www.itv.com/TVGuide/default.html?tvgBegin=98
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by komekn(m): 4:47pm On Apr 25, 2010
Eziachi,

I could not have said it any better myself, i agree with you 100%
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by texazzpete(m): 5:19pm On Apr 25, 2010
Eziachi:

The reaction of many Nigerians irked by the greatest service a foreign media has done them by highlighting a sort of Nigeria many like myself never knew existed, reminds me something that happened during my secondary school days before the civil war broke out. I was a student then of the famous Bishop Shanahan College in the then old Orlu divisional province in the Eastern region.
But our white Priest Principal was furious and told him to go to hell. He said that it will be silly to make the school cosmetically look good beyond what it will normally look. That it will serve us better for the politician and his entourage to witness how we will look normally, so that he can address our needs instead of pretending to be alright or showing off a false image that doesn’t match with reality of our school everyday life.
Now you can see why every nation had the kind of leaders they got. The reason being the governed.

Eziachi
With your permission, i'd like to reproduce this your excellent post and send it to all the short-sighted people i know. Excellent!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by uzooma4837: 11:08pm On Apr 25, 2010
u may reconnect with joseph orji thru eric obuh at welcome to lagos on facebook then via a link to a social web page of eric obuh where his finished musical work is on display.

i hope all goes well.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by SeyiNweke: 12:24pm On Apr 26, 2010
I just seen the two episodes and am so surprised at the reaction.
If you listen to what the narrater says at the beginning he clearly states that everyone needs to be like these people
They are resourceful, they do not wait for handouts. These are exactly the type of people that America and Britain hope to attract their country not for anything other than they are natural entrepreneurs. I've already heard that other farmers in the uk are going to try and copy the use of blood into cattle feed. The documentary is clearly saying that the people have not lead a life of ease and despite that they are the sort that no matter the circumstance they will do well.

The way that some people are being insultive about them is disgusting, lets hope noone refers to your family using that same words
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by SeyiNweke: 12:51pm On Apr 26, 2010
if anyone is in any doubt of how the west views nigeria's business flair as a result of this programme, then see article

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/419ee468-4809-11df-b998-00144feab49a.html

The financial times is the UK's most influential daily business paper. Based on the information contained in here many investement decisions are made.

I am sorry to have to say but it's only the uneducated who is not able to see that nigerians have proved themslves a hardworking investment worthy people from this show alone and not as one poster here has referred to as "rodents" (what audacity!!!!)

Many people, all over the world, in the same energy would not display the same level of unstoppable energy at being productive, but the nigerians here did, which means that nigerians are a sure-bet even in the hard times. How people could fail to pick this up but bleat on about filming in ikoyi and VI is just pure ignorance. It is not a program about the various locations in nigeria! it is a program about how resourceful people are in dire situations. To those who purport to be educated this is actually stated at the START of the programme.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by busybody20: 9:09pm On Apr 29, 2010
Episode 3 has started

Esther is a fumble babe jare grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by chic2pimp(m): 9:15pm On Apr 29, 2010
busybody20:

Episode 3 has started

Esther is a fumble babe jare grin
For Real Man grin

Oh mydays she just dissed Naija women. 'Naija women become ugly when they Get Pregnant' grin grin grin. That was a par and the half
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Apr 29, 2010
Please do not forget to post it online for those of us with no direct access to see it too.
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by chic2pimp(m): 9:27pm On Apr 29, 2010
Esther Abeg don't Kill me with your English oo grin grin grin

'Incase of Incasities' cheii grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by funkybaby(f): 9:32pm On Apr 29, 2010
this esther girl don craze oh grin grin grin grin grin

he wants to try another puss grin grin grin grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by chic2pimp(m): 9:35pm On Apr 29, 2010
'May Be My Puss is not sweet enough. Hers has Honey,Sugar,. . . . . . . ' grin grin grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by funkybaby(f): 9:36pm On Apr 29, 2010
, . . . . . . and seasoning grin grin grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by busybody20: 9:37pm On Apr 29, 2010
Its raining. I m quite excited. We r heading for the finals . Esther u no go kill person
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by jaybee3(m): 9:37pm On Apr 29, 2010
dis episode is kinda dry  grin grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sauron1: 9:41pm On Apr 29, 2010
chic2pimp:

'May Be My Puss is not sweet enough. Hers has Honey,Sugar,. . . . . . . ' grin grin grin

That was a classic quote. . . . .

Maybe my puss is not good enough, hers has honey, sugar and LEMONADE!!!! grin grin grin
FFS. . . . .She supports CHELSEA. So Chelski babes are this razz?? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by denzel2009: 9:44pm On Apr 29, 2010
Check out the midwife. . she don induce person! naija na comedy walahi!
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by funkybaby(f): 9:44pm On Apr 29, 2010
~Sauron~:

That was a classic quote. . . . .

Maybe my puss is not good enough, hers has honey, sugar and LEMONADE!!!! grin grin grin
FFS. . . . .She supports CHELSEA. So Chelski babes are this razz?? grin grin grin grin grin

The lemonade part . . . . . cant stop laughing  grin grin grin

yes oh, they are very razz  grin
Re: Bbc2 Welcome To Lagos! by Sauron1: 9:45pm On Apr 29, 2010
denzel2009:

Check out the midwife. . she don induce person! naija na comedy walahi!

That experienced midwife? In the UK, she would be a surgeon general.
She has delivered 300 babies. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Proposed US-Immigration Bill Will Eliminate DV-Lottery / I Will Subject All Arms Of Govt To Audit - Peter Obi's Speech At ICAN Conference / 5 New Permanent Secretaries Appointed, 11 Redeployed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.