Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments (4471 Views)

Appointments That Shows Buhari's Administration Is Wasteful - Naij / Massive Fraud In Nigeria N117billion Rice Import Quota Scheme - Premuim Times / …babangida Defends Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 8:56am On Apr 16, 2010
By Ini Ekot

April 14, 2010 01:04PM
Print print Email email Share Share

Former military ruler Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida, yesterday echoed his newfound distaste for Nigeria’s federal character system, arguing that the arrangement has impeded the nation’s progress since independence.

Speaking at a conference organised by the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) in Abuja, Mr. Babangida said Nigeria’s growth and democracy is being challenged because the nation still accords greater emphasis to the religion and tribe of its citizens in deciding who occupies public positions.

“For now, there is still too much emphasis on religion and ethnic origin and little respect for merit and competence,” he said.

Presidential strategy

The remarks, along with recent appearances at public functions, are believed to be part of the former military dictator’s strategy for his declared presidential ambition in 2011.

At past events, Mr. Babangida openly condemned many of the structural government preferences, which he helped cement not only while serving in different military administrations, but during his eight-year term as the head of state.

He recommended the creation of state police and gave fresh support for fiscal federalism, which will allow individual states of the federation to generate funds based on their natural resources and then remit taxes to the federal government.

Mr. Babangida also attacked the federal character saying it has given rise to mediocrity.

Trumpeting democracy

At the Conference on Political Stability and Democratic Imperatives in a Dynamic International Environment organised by the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS), Mr. Babangida restated his position, saying Nigeria’s stability will depend on democracy.

“Our country needs clear-headed, public-spirited leaders at every level to propel this country to [a] higher stage of development than is presently the case. If we have the right calibre of people at the helms of affairs, then it will be much easier to practice democracy in truth and indeed,” he explained.

Mr. Babangida blamed the recurring religious and ethnic crises on poverty.

“It is idle hands that are the devil’s instrument,” he said. “If people are fully engaged they would hardly have time seeing others as enemies. Religion should be a personal affair. Each person would answer for his deeds before the almighty.”
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Onlytruth(m): 9:01am On Apr 16, 2010
Wao! IBB supports ending the quota system! shocked shocked

I'm beginning to think there may still be hope for Nigeria.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by microgiant: 9:04am On Apr 16, 2010
May be it's blocking his ambition. Nigerians are always quick to condemn once it affects them, but are comfortable when they are not constrained by the laws.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by kosovo(m): 9:24am On Apr 16, 2010
This is exactly what i am talking about . . .

“Our country needs clear-headed, public-spirited leaders at every level to propel this country to [a] higher stage of development than is presently the case. If we have the right calibre of people at the helms of affairs, then it will be much easier to practice democracy in truth and indeed,” he explained.

“It is idle hands that are the devil’s instrument,” he said. “If people are fully engaged they would hardly have time seeing others as enemies. Religion should be a personal affair. Each person would answer for his deeds before the almighty.”

“For now, there is still too much emphasis on religion and ethnic origin and little respect for merit and competence,” he said.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 16, 2010
I just don't trust the guy, though the abolishment of the Quota system is a step in the right direction.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 16, 2010
frosbel:

I just don't trust the guy, though the abolishment of the Quota system is a step in the right direction.
campaing strategies are normal nigeria politicians use to chain our minds and thinking.these are just policy statement we would use to get the presidential seat by all means to realise his ambition.
First was about federalism,then quota system.i bet the next will be resource control or increment of workers salary.all these comments are geared toward gathering sympathy and support for the evil genius.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by princekevo(m): 10:36am On Apr 16, 2010
~Bluetooth:

campaing strategies are normal nigeria politicians use to chain our minds and thinking.these are just policy statement we would use to get the presidential seat by all means to realise his ambition.
First was about federalism,then quota system.i bet the next will be resource control or increment of workers salary.all these comments are geared toward gathering sympathy and support for the evil genius.
Not even when it comes from a Maradona himself. We should have seen the signs of all these promises in his first 8year as the millitary ruler or did he jst wake up from sleep? I doubt that.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 10:50am On Apr 16, 2010
princekevo:

Not even when it comes from a Maradona himself. We should seen the signs of all these promises in his first 8year as the millitary ruler or did he jst woke up from sleep? I doubt that.
kosvo doesnt look at nigeria politics critically.he only see the surface .i can point names of opposition politicians that go to ota on daily basis to consult obasanjo but folks like kosovo will tell that such cannot happen.nigeria politicians are the same with little or no integrity
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by microgiant: 10:53am On Apr 16, 2010
princekevo:

Not even when it comes from a Maradona himself. We should seen the signs of all these promises in his first 8year as the millitary ruler or did he jst woke up from sleep? I doubt that.

That's why i posted the comments above, has just woken from a slumber?
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 10:58am On Apr 16, 2010

So says the guy that Nigeria  made the country a member of the OIC despite the nation being secular. If you trust the evil genius you are on your own. In fact I am beginning to think that the guy has hypnotic powers, the press should do us a favour and stop reporting any news associated with him abeg
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 16, 2010
naijababe:

So says the guy that Nigeria  made the country a member of the OIC despite the nationally being secular. If you trust the evil genius you are on your own. In fact I am beginning to think that the guy has hypnotic powers, the press should do us a favour and stop reporting any news associated with him abeg
he needs the media to propagate his evil self and that is what he is doing now sending out policy comments in bit knowing fully well that such would attract support.meanwhile,he will get there and change totally.it worked for yaradua when he used the 7-point agenda and specifically,rule of law and indepedent of the legislative arm of govt to neutralise the strong opposition against his illegal govt.ibb is just being too desperate about becoming president and he's doing everything to change the perception of nigerians.he is our nigeria ROBERT GREENE
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 11:52am On Apr 16, 2010
^^^ Robert Greene? author of 48 laws of power?
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 11:59am On Apr 16, 2010
we've seen these x-point agendas before
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 16, 2010
Babangida thinks in an election that could potentially have Babangida, Buhari, Atiku, Bafarawa, Shekarau, Sani Yerima, Isa Yuguda, Sule Lamido, Aliyu Gusau etc
IBB's calculation is that the best way to win is to pander to the South. Whether you believe in what you say or not.

Rotational Presidency is a by-product of Quota System/Federal Character. If Babangida truly believes that Quota System/Federal Character is not helpful he should start by criticising rotational presidency which he Babangida is trying to benefit from.

Why has he not said anything on the legitimacy or benefits/disadvantages of rotational presidency?

It is easy to criticise quota system/federal character after possibly sending your own children to Yale and Havard.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 16, 2010
naijababe:

^^^ Robert Greene? author of 48 laws of power?
that man is a don in deception.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 16, 2010
^^^ really? how?
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 12:13pm On Apr 16, 2010
mikeansy:

Babangida thinks in an election that could potentially have Babangida, Buhari, Atiku, Bafarawa, Shekarau, Sani Yerima, Isa Yuguda, Sule Lamido, Aliyu Gusau etc
IBB's calculation is that the best way to win is to pander to the South. Whether you believe in what you say or not.

Rotational Presidency is a by-product of Quota System/Federal Character. If Babangida truly believes that Quota System/Federal Character is not helpful he should start by criticising rotational presidency which he Babangida is trying to benefit from.

Why has he not said anything on the legitimacy or benefits/disadvantages of rotational presidency?

It is easy to criticise quota system/federal character after possibly sending your own children to Yale and Havard.
all those talk the talk are campaign strategy
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 12:55pm On Apr 16, 2010
First was about federalism,then quota system.i bet the next will be resource control or increment of workers salary.all these comments are geared toward gathering sympathy and support for the evil genius

IBB is the master of deception, I simply cannot trust him.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 16, 2010
^^^ Abi o, trust IBB at your own peril
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 16, 2010
What were ibb's achievements when he was military president?
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 2:04pm On Apr 16, 2010
He achieved the highest make up of slogans that enriched him and his cronies but impoverished Nigerians
DFRRI, SAP, NDE, MAMSER, 6334, BLFRW and so on
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by globalaid(m): 2:05pm On Apr 16, 2010
anybody that believe this guy can believe anything,  not when it is coming from the tooth gap evil genius. modern day prophet. He has 8 years and what did he do what policy did he chart instead it is his selfish ambition.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Igbanibo: 3:49pm On Apr 16, 2010
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

The man has no credibility, shame it looks like the US is willing to back him, as long as he gets them their oil.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by safariman(m): 5:01pm On Apr 16, 2010
IBB is just telling us what we want to hear. He is a very dangerous man, involved in virtually all Nigerian coups, curropt with all his illgotten gains. All of a sudden, he has seen the light. I do wish whomever becomes the next President take on and have as part of his/her platform (doing away with quota, state policing and true federalism) that IBB was talking about.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by naijaking1: 5:08pm On Apr 16, 2010
safariman:

IBB is just telling us what we want to hear. He is a very dangerous man, involved in virtually all Nigerian coups, curropt with all his illgotten gains. All of a sudden, he has seen the light. I do wish whomever becomes the next President take on and have as part of his/her platform (doing away with quota, state policing and true federalism) that IBB was talking about.

Thank you. Suddenly, he has seen the light cheesy
He ruled Nigeria for so many years, has been in a position of power and influence for even longer period, and now, all of a sudden, he has seen the light?
Well, what has changed?
Is this pure politiking, appealing to voters, or simply confusing the issues.
IBB should be tried in a court of law, where he would be placed under oath and made to explain his previous actions.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Ibime(m): 9:21pm On Apr 16, 2010
IBB would say anything to get back in power it seems.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Fhemmmy: 9:24pm On Apr 16, 2010
I really admire this guy.
he knows what Nigerians wanna hear
He know what key to use to open which door.
I carry yansh for him jare, this guy has started doing what he does best . . . . . Aso rock, here he comes
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by udezue(m): 9:27pm On Apr 16, 2010
rubbish!!!
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Fhemmmy: 9:29pm On Apr 16, 2010
udezue:

rubbish!!!

That is the rubbish, he will ride on to rule you for the next 8 years
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by jumobi1(m): 9:36pm On Apr 16, 2010
why is he just saying this now? He is a public figure and if he wanted to help Nigeria more than himself, he would have said this before Yar'Adua fell ill.

IDK, I kinda think he has good intentions but SAY NO TO IBB
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Nobody: 9:38pm On Apr 16, 2010
jumobi1:

why is he just saying this now? He is a public figure and if he wanted to help Nigeria more than himself, he would have said this before Yar'Adua fell ill.

Those good ideas where not good enough until he started running for elections

That tells you IBB is more interested in reforming IBB than reforming Nigeria.
Re: Babangida Faults Quota System In Public Appointments by Fhemmmy: 9:38pm On Apr 16, 2010
jumobi1:

Great question that is getting you closer to the fact . . .  keep peeling and you will soon get to the bone of the meat

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Imo 2011 Guber: Who Is Best For Imo State? / Could This Be Another Nigerian Busy Bodies Or Cure For Ebola? / Millionaire Chinese Businessman Rebuilds His Village-for Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.