Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,681 members, 7,955,521 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:12 AM

2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered (967 Views)

Saraki/presidency Cold War: Senators Avoid C’ttee Chairmanship / INEC Chairmanship Position: Csos Ask Buhari To Send Nominee To Senate / Oshiomhole, Okorocha, & Yari Battle For NGF Chairmanship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by Imeobong(m): 10:14pm On Apr 16, 2010
Former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, maybe ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo’s joker in his quest to have one of his associates occupy the presidential villa next year or take charge of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Saturday Sun gathered that drafting Ribadu into the presidential race next year is the Plan B of the Obasanjo camp, in case the desire for Acting President Goodluck Jonathan to contest in the election, owing to the zoning arrangement in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) fails. Also, the other option is for him to be INEC chairman.

Jonathan had told the Cable News Network (CNN) that he had many option regarding next year’s elections. According to him, he has the option of running as somebody’s vice presidential candidate or, in the alternative, running for president, despite saying that this is not his priority at the moment.
However, sources close to Obasanjo said that realising that it could be difficult to sell the Jonathan 2011 presidency to the North, most especially, since the zone wants to also have eight years rule, as the South did between 1999 and 2007, the former President’s camp considered the option of getting somebody, who is popular, from the North, to contest for the number one seat.

It was gathered that Ribadu was considered, as the Obasanjo camp reckoned that with his popularity, garnered while he was chairman of the EFCC, he would be accepted by most Nigerians, if presented for the election.

Plan to remove his blemish
To set the tune for the option, the camp pressed for the withdrawal of charges against the former EFCC chairman before the Code of Conduct Bureau. With this done, it was learnt that the next plan is for Ribadu’s dismissal from the police to be converted to retirement. Also, the group is working to get the court to speed up the case Ribadu filed against the police, challenging his dismissal, where it is expected that the police action would be voided by the court.
Sources revealed that contrary to the belief that Jonathan wants to reappoint Ribadu as chairman of the EFCC or presidential adviser on war against corruption, the real plan is to clear whatever encumbrance may hinder the former anti-graft czar from contesting election so that if the group settles for Plan B, he would be drafted into the 2011 race.
Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Alhaji Mohammed Adoke, had, during a visit to the EFCC recently, said that government had no plan to reappoint Ribadu as the anti-graft agency chairman. Ribadu himself, while speaking from the United States, had also said something to the effect that he was not aware of any plan for him to return to the EFCC. He had hinted that he would return to the country in May.

Ribadu expected back next month
Saturday Sun gathered that when Ribadu returns, he would make himself visible, by what he would be saying as well as his daily activities. This is in order for him to return to public consciousness, while he awaits the greenlight for his role in 2011 elections.

It was gathered that media teams were being set up for the former EFCC chairman, with a view to managing his image boosting campaign.

The INEC option
Saturday Sun gathered that with Jonathan’s promise to ensure that the country conducts credible election next year, Ribadu may play a role in the conduct of the election. Specifically, sources close to the presidential villa said that he maybe appointed to replace Prof Maurice Iwu, whose tenure as INEC chairman will end in June.
The option to have Ribadu at INEC, it was gathered, is to have an electoral body Nigerians and the international community will have confidence in. His activities at the EFCC, it was learnt, gave the impetus that he would do well as INEC chairman.

Jonathan had hinted that there would be a shake-up at INEC during his trip to the US. He had told the CNN that the tenure of Iwu and other commissioners of INEC would end by June, by which time, he revealed, the government would review their cases on individual merit.
He had said in the interview with CNN: “On the issue of the people at INEC, I told them that, look, between now and ending of June, most of the officials at the national level – they’re called commissioners – their tenure will end, and we’re going to review them.”

He also said: “So, the issue is beyond Iwu because we must set up an electoral system and our regulations and laws that will make sure that anybody who is appointed to that office should be able to conduct acceptable elections. And that is my focus.”

Jonathan’s meeting with Ribadu
The Jonathan camp is in the know about the plans for Ribadu. This is why charges against the former police officer were withdrawn. This is also why the acting president met with him in the US, during his five-day visit.
In the meeting, Jonathan was said to have assured Ribadu of his safety in Nigeria. He also told him that he would get a role in the coming days in the country, without specifically revealing his plan.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/apr/17/national-17-04-2010-001.htm
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by kokoA(m): 10:26pm On Apr 16, 2010
ok
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 16, 2010
I love Ribadu but he is too emotional to be President in my view.

El-Rufai is better than him, if Jonathan is not interested in running

I am also interested in Donald Duke
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by neily(f): 11:02pm On Apr 16, 2010
Inec will be good for Ribadu, as Mikeansy said Donald Duke is good for presidency if Jonathan is not interested. Could this be the reason why Ribadu covered Obasanjo's tracks?
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by hollandis(f): 11:06pm On Apr 16, 2010
who the hell is ribadu angry
anuofia cheesy
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by kosovo(m): 11:10pm On Apr 16, 2010
^^^^
Nobody is good in your own eyes . . .
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by OAM4J: 11:11pm On Apr 16, 2010
another Sun newspaper rubbish. gosh!
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by sjeezy8: 11:16pm On Apr 16, 2010
naw I liked el rufai better
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by slap1(m): 8:18am On Apr 17, 2010
OAM4J:

another Sun newspaper rubbish. gosh!
Can you produce even a rubbish write-up?
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by marvix(m): 8:33am On Apr 17, 2010
Ribadu shld head INEC, El Rufai shld b VP 2 Jonathan and we wld deliva Aso rock 2 d PDP in a credible election in 2011.
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by nethacker(m): 9:24am On Apr 17, 2010
If ribadu becomes d INEC chairman, i bet u dat no PDP candidate will win election grin grin grin
P-Papa
D-Destroy
P-Pikin
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by rebranded(m): 10:25am On Apr 17, 2010
Its now obvious GJ has been waiting for Ribadu to return before removing Iwu,

El'rufai can run for presidency,
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by vigasimple(m): 11:00am On Apr 17, 2010
mikeansy:

I love Ribadu but he is too emotional to be President in my view.

El-Rufai is better than him, if Jonathan is not interested in running

I am also interested in Donald Duke

I think the above analysis is spot on.

El- rufai has the temparament to be President more than Ribadu ( INEC will do for him) but that permutation is, if we Nigerians(especially the south)accept that PDP will be the one to continue to rule this country and that Presidency will remain with the North in 2011. I am really not sure that the formula will continue in 2015 or if indeed another party were to win the Presidency.

The North is fooling Nigerians with this North/South power sharing. ( to whose benefits is for?) because if we contest an open election, a southerner will always win for ability/capability than a Northerner.

The psyche IBB want us to accept that the power will remain with the north in 2011 and that is why he is making all those noises.

We can also deduce from it that YAR A'CLUELESS is finished.

Donald Duke is a man that I think has a better frame of mind than all the rest, and maybe even a good credibility to go with it.
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by monkeyleg: 11:21am On Apr 17, 2010
We dont know, this is all speculation, but I would rather Nuhu went back to the job he did so well, despite peoples varied opinion on him. I would rather have a Pat Utomi with Nasir El-Rufai as VP or vice versa. I see this to be a wiining combination that has the potential to appeal to many people, Just my thought
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by godello: 12:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
I am sick and tired of this whole recycling saga. Is it that Nigeria as a nation dont have capable hands for change to occur. The rich wants to be richer.
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by Revolution: 1:25pm On Apr 17, 2010
I agree with @mikeansy, Rufai would make a better President. Compare and contrast their speeches recently at the same event and you'll see what I mean. Rufai is more presidential and has a better all round understanding of national issues, while Ribadu is more corruption focused.

Rufai: http://www.greatnigeria.tv/video/43/TEDxEuston--Nasir-El-Rufai--120509
Ribadu: http://www.greatnigeria.tv/video/45/TEDxEuston--Nuhu-Ribadu--120509
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by SapeleGuy: 1:49pm On Apr 17, 2010
Donald Duke, Pat Utomi, Fashola and others are more credible than Ribadu & El Rufai.

Ribadu is not coming home for now.
Beyond declaration of assets there are outstanding issues concerning how assets of Balogun and Alams were undervalued and sold cheaply. El Rufai has to answer questions about plots and property in Abuja.

How many politicians did Ribadu convict? This was the same man who said Bode George had no case to answer.

These people know that power is going to South South and after that South East, therefore these are desperate measures from Arewa to prevent the inevitable - they will not smell power for 20 to 30 years after 2011.
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by ladi02(m): 2:02pm On Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for that clip revolution its very inspiring

I believe ribadu should be in INEC and yeah, El'rufai will be a good President come 2011
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by KnowAll(m): 2:38pm On Apr 17, 2010
If Ribadu throws his hat in the ring, one would see how IBB's swagger and alooftness will fade into insignificance, IBB would suddenly appear as a lilliput which he is, liable to be cross examined for the part he played in the treachery intransigence of the 1980's.
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by debosky(m): 2:46pm On Apr 17, 2010
KnowAll:

If Ribadu throws his hat in the ring, one would see how IBB's swagger and alooftness will fade into insignificance, IBB would suddenly appear as a lilliput which he is, liable to be cross examined for the part he played in the treachery intransigence of the 1980's.

Dream on - Ribadu is highly unlikely to win a presidential election in Nigeria with the enemies he's made.

The best he can hope for is a lower political office to build up a network then attempt to go for it. Right now it is a dream for anyone to imagine Ribadu who isn't even in the country will be 'drafted' in to the presidency.

He has no clout, no influence and little backing. OBJ's influence is on the wane so anyone banking on that is on a slippery slope.
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by Revolution: 8:29pm On Apr 17, 2010
@SapeleGuy, the case evidence which was used to jail Bode George was actually dug up by Ribadu
Re: 2011: Ribadu’s Expected Role • Inec Chairmanship Or Presidency Being Considered by SapeleGuy: 1:15am On Apr 18, 2010
Revolution:

@SapeleGuy, the case evidence which was used to jail Bode George was actually dug up by Ribadu

Revolution, I agree but Why was this case referred to the FEC at the time and not the courts? And why did some other cases go straight to the courts and not the FEC.

(1) (Reply)

Pdp Blasts Tinubu Over Efcc Problem ! / Why Ndigbo Should Support Jonathan — Diaspora Igbo / Nigerian Politics: Let's Rise Above Tribalism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.