Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,106 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. (1871 Views)

This Onionson's Case Is Another Reason Men Should Be WISE With Women!!! [photos] / The Reason Men Sleep After Sex Is To Avoid Questions Like? / "Real Men Propose With Pregnancy Not Ring" - Nigerian Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by FromZeroToHero(m): 7:36am On Jan 31, 2018
There is no more immediately recognizable romantic gesture than when a man proposes marriage down on one bent knee. This custom has been around for centuries and remains popular today.

History Behind Proposing on a Bended Knee.

There is no clear historical origin of the idea of proposing on a bent knee, but the gesture bears striking resemblance to many other ceremonial situations, including:

Religion: Kneeling is appropriate during prayers and other religious ceremonies. Kneeling is also done to genuflect when entering a church or temple. When proposing, kneeling can have the same spiritual connotation and can be seen as a sign of respect.

Royalty: Knights kneel while being awarded honors from kings and queens. This can hold true for a proposal of marriage and can be seen as an honor.

Surrender: Bowing in supplication before a victorious enemy is typically seen as a gesture of surrender. When proposing, a couple commits to one another and surrenders oneself to being part of a couple.

Regardless of the origin, the idea of asking for a loved one's hand in marriage while partially kneeling is a highly symbolic gesture embodying the very essence of committing one's life to another.
The practical reason behind a bent knee proposal is that it puts the engagement ring in an elevated position between the couple, letting the light hit it clearly without being blocked by both individuals. This highlights the glitter of the ring as well as emphasizing the strength of the commitment.

http://engagementrings.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Marriage_Proposal_on_Bended_Knee

1 Like

Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by FromZeroToHero(m): 7:37am On Jan 31, 2018
I have proposed o. who's next in line?
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by SULTANALAUDDIN: 7:39am On Jan 31, 2018
it's not compulsory, is it?
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by taylor88(m): 7:42am On Jan 31, 2018
If u not taking my ring with my two legs standing then you can wait till the day one of the legs get crippled so i can propose

Nonsense

1 Like

Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by Dolypson04(m): 7:43am On Jan 31, 2018
The first and last time many men would kneel to a woman
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by dollyjoy(f): 7:43am On Jan 31, 2018
taylor88:
If u not taking my ring with my two legs standing then you can wait till the day one of the legs get crippled so i can propose

Nonsense
Oooh please!
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by taylor88(m): 7:47am On Jan 31, 2018
dollyjoy:
Oooh please!

What is oh please

Na u buy the ring for me
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by HOLYDICK(m): 7:54am On Jan 31, 2018
Marriage is the most beautiful tin to have happened to some folks....while at thesame tym....its d most agonising thing to have happened to others

God please continue 2 bless our matrimonial homes and for those planning to tie the knot pray..and i wish u a blissful one in the future

#Peace
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by newyorks(m): 8:10am On Jan 31, 2018
sad while some ladies deserved halve bent kneeling some category deserve standing but that lady up there deserved full kneeling,ask me why..
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by godofuck231: 8:14am On Jan 31, 2018
Power is given to those that are humble enough to kneel and pick it up, it is a sign of humility and dedication to service,all women must submit to their husbands, being a man is a refer to authority ,kneeling to a woman signifies a man's will and promises not subject her to his authority and to see her as an equal as a token of his love, a kneeling man can fight and kill in the so stated position even at that he is 4 times a woman's strength so kneeling submits his pride and positions to his love for her, very few women deserve this feature, in nigeria I can name a few, my mother, bianca ojukwu, agbani derego, omotola, onarere duke, women with impeccable character or good heart, not all these runs babes waiting for men to beg for over used doughnuts
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by justiniyke29: 8:52am On Jan 31, 2018
Why men kneel is that incase the woman fall their hand they can pretend they are cleaning their shoe
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by AAlozie(m): 8:57am On Jan 31, 2018
justiniyke29:
Why men kneel is that incase the woman fall their hand they can pretend they are cleaning their shoe
Guy u funny o. But that's sensible o
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by OgahBohz: 9:12am On Jan 31, 2018
I still don't know the best way to propose , I jst want it to be something unique, smtn matured, cool nd symbolic...

all this usual kneeling, durning dinner , etc are jez too common ..

I love to do what my woman will love ..

if kneeling is what she adores .. then so be it !...
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by Sierusvirus(m): 9:44am On Jan 31, 2018
The above reason doesn't even relate to a man or woman kneeling and proposing as the case may be.
It's an act from an individual ( don't know who sha) trying to be extra romantic or creating their own style in life but to me, it doesn't make any sense or adds value to the marriage.

Our generations copy things that are not useful, many never knelt to propose and are still living together, seeing their children and grandchildren.

The question now is, those that copied the act of kneeling to create their own style, how many are still living together?
I believe the core thing in life and marriage is that both should be realistic, open to each other, better understanding and trust me, nothing can separate them. My own opinion though but for those still willing to kneel should continue, if a girl kneels and propose to me, I won't like it cos I will never kneel to propose to her.
who kneeling epa. grin
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by marveangel(m): 10:16am On Jan 31, 2018
I want to pulstrate and propose as a true African man...lol
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by izaray(f): 10:23am On Jan 31, 2018
taylor88:

What is oh please

Na u buy the ring for me

Learn how to be romatic small na, haba grin
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 31, 2018
This is B.S , what do women really have to offer that can make a Man disrespect himself
Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by taylor88(m): 10:26am On Jan 31, 2018
izaray:
Learn how to be romatic small na, haba grin

Maybe when they start paying salaries for being romantic I'll try

1 Like

Re: This Is The Reason Men Propose On One Bent Knee. by FromZeroToHero(m): 12:13pm On Jan 31, 2018
taylor88:

Maybe when they start paying salaries for being romantic I'll try
it should rather be when they start winning noble prize for being romantic.

(1) (Reply)

Girls!! A Demon Has Been Born (screenshot Attached) / Nigerian Woman Cries Out After Horrible Date With An Igbo Man In The UK / I Already Have A "LOVE CHILD" So Marriage Case Is Closed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.