Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,407 members, 7,812,204 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? (9450 Views)

Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin / Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? / The True Sin In The Garden Of Eden: Eve Slept With Satan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by gbadex1(m): 11:51am On Mar 07, 2007
@ topic and goodguy:

i've given this issue some thought. I tend to go with a lil' of Po Deep's and  dblock n myro's posts.

My thesis:

we may not agree on certain things, but we all agree that tree was placed there for a purpose. And according to the Bible, God told Adam and Eve that they could eat of the fruit of other trees but they were not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Of course, we all know what happened. I believe the underlying theme here is OBEDIENCE. And for the subject of OBEDIENCE to come in, there has to be FREEWILL or CHOICE. Methinks, that tree was a test of Adam's obedience, a symbol of sorts for our God-given ability to think for ourselves.

If we say why doesn't God just "program" us like robots and there wouldn't be any evil- It would negate the fact that we have freewill. Besides that, i believe God created us to serve him and yet have a relationship with him- out of our choice. If you want to serve him or NOT -the disobedience at the garden of Eden is an example of man's choice not to serve Him.

Genesis says He created us in image. . . .i.e emotion, logic, mind/thinking. Doesn't that point out that our freewill was a gift and what differentiates us from other life-forms on the planet? I believe we as humans abuse that freewill.

This is what i've though out. It may answer your questions, it may not, it may partly. . . .i don't know. . .i may not have all the answers but i believe there's an answer for errthing especially Biblical matters. . .
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Goshen360(m): 12:08pm On Mar 07, 2007
The reason why God planted that tree in the middle of the garden is very simple. The sin of man (Adam) is not the sin that he ate the fruit, its a sin of DISOBEDIENT. Disobedisent to God, is like d sin of witchcraft. And this simple act has remain the problem of humanity to Eternity. Why not obey God and be free.

God bless you
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by gbadex1(m): 12:08pm On Mar 07, 2007
@ BackSlider:

i am angry because you speak the Gospel of truth? And what exactly is the Gospel of truth? Faulting and belittling others for using their minds to think? Faulting others for asking questions?

You don't get my point. I'm not against you. What i just don't like is the faulting of others and the usual "how dare u question God?!" line when there's no answer to give.

Other than that, no hating, playa. . .

Peace.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by alexj(m): 12:15pm On Mar 07, 2007
guys is it now a crime to ask questions in this country? i wonder the way you people treats just a very important question. it is quite obvious that you are all too religious, and the Bible had already stated it that "there's no clean man on earth". so where are we going brothers?
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 12:19pm On Mar 07, 2007
@gbade.X

I am speaking the truth the same preached Jesus the same John The baptist preached. The heart of Man is evil continually I never said so Only God said so.

I will not add what God has not said. You can Question God when you obedient to him. You can ask God in Humility. God asks you questions too WITH HUMILITY.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by freddie1(m): 12:20pm On Mar 07, 2007
I will know the answer when i get to kingdom hall in the great beyond!
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 12:20pm On Mar 07, 2007
@alexj

YEAH THE SOUL OF THE FATHER AND THE SOUL OF THE SON IS MINE

THE SOUL THAT SINNETH IT SHALL DIE
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 12:28pm On Mar 07, 2007
You ask the question as though you want him to give Account to You mortal man and he ask you when you die where your soul Go hell or heaven and you say he has judged you wrongly

Yeah how can the port question to the porter ?

can The Port say to the porter thou has not made me well?

I say who art thou to question God ?
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by gbadex1(m): 1:10pm On Mar 07, 2007
@ Backslider:

don't give me that crap about we asking as if we want Him to give account to us, YOU ARE THE ONE INTERPRETING IT AS THAT. Did God exactly make you a mind-reader to know exactly whether the questions were asked out of arrogance or humility?

Like i asked, i believe the questions were asked as an honest enquiry. You just don't want so because u'd rather paint a bad picture of those asking the questions. Faith is what it is, but that does not mean we shouldn't think critically and ask questions.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by mrmayor(m): 1:12pm On Mar 07, 2007
1.If God was testing Adam then God can't be all Knowing because Adam has got freewill.The purpose of any test is the find out the UNKNOWN,there is absolutely no point in testing Adam if God already knew that Adam would fail the test.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by gbadex1(m): 1:35pm On Mar 07, 2007
If you say the purpose of any test is to know the UNKNOWN, then in the case of Adam and the fall, the UNKNOWN would be the choice that determines whether Adam and Eve obeys or disobeys God.

All-knowing and freewill are sorta parallel. Picture it this way: The All-knowing sees/knows that man has every chance to make bad decisions, but doesn't interfere because there's also every chance that man can also make good decisions.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by gbadex1(m): 1:36pm On Mar 07, 2007
If you say the purpose of any test is to know the UNKNOWN, then in the case of Adam and the fall, the UNKNOWN would be the choice that determines whether Adam and Eve obeys or disobeys God.

All-knowing and freewill are sorta parallel. Picture it this way: The All-knowing sees/knows that man has every chance to make bad decisions, but doesn't interfere because there's also every chance that man can also make good decisions.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by gbadex1(m): 1:38pm On Mar 07, 2007

Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by gbadex1(m): 1:41pm On Mar 07, 2007

Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by gbadex1(m): 1:46pm On Mar 07, 2007
@ mrmayor:

Not necessarily. If you say the purpose of any test is to know the UNKNOWN, then perhaps, in the case of Adam and the fall, the UNKNOWN would be the choice that determines whether Adam and Eve obeys or disobeys God.

All-knowing and freewill are sorta parallel. Picture it this way: The All-knowing sees/knows that  man has every chance to make bad decisions, but doesn't interfere because there's also every chance that man can also make good decisions.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by sharetroll(m): 1:48pm On Mar 07, 2007
Backslider:

@sharetroll

Who has decieved you to beleiving that God did not give us FREEWILL this is another lie coming from the Pit of Hell. We have been given free will Even now Righteousness or Sin life or Death GOD OR THE SERPENT .

Dont be Decieved by Lucifer The old dragon as he decieved man in the Garden of Eden. Repent and Flee sin

Yeah, but goodguy was trying to point out (on post #5) that it isn't fair for God to punish people for eternity, so I wanted him to say that he would rather choose ignorance and slavery.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by gbadex1(m): 1:51pm On Mar 07, 2007
Sorry for posting too many times. . . .was trying to modify my initial post, and something went wrong. Network probs i think.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Typewriter(m): 2:05pm On Mar 07, 2007
well @ topic

like the potter puts the clay or pots in the sun to test its quality,
so that the good ones are sold and the bad ones are reformed or destroyed
so also, God put man b4 the tree to test its quality and the rest is better imagined now
man failed and God send his Son to come and save man or restore man to his intended position,

Moreover, it was a tree that God and Satan used to bet on human experiment(to see if man is of free will or not)
so lets leave it at that. Now that we know the rules let's live by them OK!
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 3:23pm On Mar 07, 2007
@Brethren

I thank God that you have now known that God cant be questioned as though he was a mere man. Ask John The Divine when he meet Jesus in Revelation. John That put his head on Jesus in days as the son of man on earth fell down and worshiped him when .
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by mrmayor(m): 4:20pm On Mar 07, 2007
Typewriter,

Typewriter:

Moreover, it was a tree that God and Satan used to bet on human experiment(to see if man is of free will or not)
so lets leave it at that. Now that we know the rules let's live by them OK!

This reminds me of the movie "CONSTANTINE" if the human experiment is indeed a bet between God and Satan then God can't be All Knowing because however you look at it a Test,Experiment,Bet all hinge on one principle that the result is[b] UNKNOWN [/b] until the test is completed.

Just like the bible tells of the story of Abraham asked to sacrifice his only son to God,the bible clearly states that it was a test which Abraham passed and was rewarded.The test proves that God wasn't sure that Abraham would do as was instructed until Abraham proved himself.If God knew that Abraham would comply then the test was indeed pointless.

@Backslider,

Sir,you seem to take preach the same thing all the time without making any contribution to the thread,you have not tried to answer the question raised "Why Plant A Tree You Don't Want People To Eat From"?
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by cuteass1(f): 4:32pm On Mar 07, 2007
@ topic and goodguy

If you can ask that kind of question then i guess your next question will be "why did God create sin, if he didn't want us to sin?"

Remember God did make it clear that temptations shall come our way, but the temptations wouldn't be greater than us.

We just have to have the zeal and power to overcome the temptations that come to us, but unfortunately that's where Eve and Adam failed.

They just couldn't resist the temptation, and that is by no means God's fault wink
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Goshen360(m): 4:35pm On Mar 07, 2007
abeg make una stop this topic and go enroll for bible skol , ok
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 4:45pm On Mar 07, 2007
@Mrmayor

It was Impossible by 2 immutable thing for God to Change. He is God from Eternity to Eternity. Ask him Why he came to die for you?
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by mrmayor(m): 6:13pm On Mar 07, 2007
Backslider,

Backslider:

@Mrmayor
It was Impossible by 2 immutable thing for God to Change. He is God from Eternity to Eternity. Ask him Why he came to die for you?

Typical,side step the question and preach on.Many have tried to answer the question to the best of their knowledge and does who want to learn (Mrmayor) ask new questions.Regardless of difference of opinion I have learnt a great deal from many Christians ,Muslims and skeptics on this forum.

You Sir,have done nothing put preach about this and that without bringing anything to he discussion,my advice is there is a section for Christians where you can share the gospel without members like me asking questions.

Cheers
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by swing4real(m): 6:45pm On Mar 07, 2007
@goodguy and alexj

Your questions are very simple i believe by His (God Most High) i can answer your question and explain to you why God planted that tree in the Garden of Eden but first you need to answer me this few questions before i go ahead.

1. HOW DO YOU WEIGH OUT A KILOGRAMME OF FIRE?

2.HOW DO U MEASURE A CUBIC METER OF WIND?

3.HOW DO YOU BRING BACK A DAY THAT HAS PASSED?

4.HOW MANY RIVERS FLOW INTO THE WATERS BENEATH THE EARTH?

5.WHERE ARE THE EXISTS FROM THE WORLD OF THE DEAD?

6.WHERE ARE THE ENTERANCE TO PARADISE.

7.HOW MANY DWELLING PLACES,THERE ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA?

8.HOW MANY RIVERS ARE THERE ABOVE THE DOME OF THE SKY

I promise to answer the questions you guys asked if you can JUST answer 2 of the above question.Waiting for your answers
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by zebra(m): 6:56pm On Mar 07, 2007
@swing4real

What kind of nonsense questions are you asking people here?? Have you answered the one we are debating on??

Come to think of it was it really a fruit like an apple that Eve gave to Adam to eat?? I think we are only giving literal meaning to a tree in the middle of a garden, and Eve being decieved by the serpent to eat of the fruit of that tree; and Eve giving the fruit to Adam to eat. Think well and shine your eyes. The answer is not far from you.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by goodguy(m): 8:16pm On Mar 07, 2007
Hmmm. . . So many interesting responses so far, albeit, there are loads of contradictions.

This is what I've gathered so far:

According to Backslider, God is NOT Omniscient.  Interesting.

According to gbade. x and some others, God is Omniscient but is NOT sure of our ultimate choice/decision because He gave us a "freewill", and that's why He has to carry out a test on us so that He can be sure.  Interesting as well, albeit contradictory.

According to cute-ass, God knew Adam and Eve would fail, but still went ahead to present a temptation to them.  And as expected, they failed, and He sent them out of the Garden of Eden for what He made them do.  And of course, that is no fault of God.  Why? -- Because He is God! cool  Another very interesting thesis, I must say.  I must have underestimated the "Omnibenevolence" of God. 

Keep it coming folks.  I'm enjoying this.

P. S.  I appreciate your inputs, honestly.
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by goodguy(m): 8:17pm On Mar 07, 2007
sharetroll:

Yeah, but goodguy was trying to point out (on post #5) that it isn't fair for God to punish people for eternity, so I wanted him to say that he would rather choose ignorance and slavery.

I don't really get what you're driving at here, or what exactly you're trying to convey.  The Garden of Eden, as we've been made to understand, was a paradise.  It was a place of eternal bliss for God's creations, and everything was going on perfectly well, until Eve ate the fruit.  And as I said earlier, prior to that moment, Adam and Eve were completely ignorant of good and evil.  And of course, that wasn't a problem for them, as they were not even aware that they were ignorant of anything. 

Just imagine what life would have been like back then.  I can imagine them even playing with wild animals without getting hurt, as well as so many other things that couldn't have bothered them.

So what's with the "ignorance and slavery" talk?
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by swing4real(m): 9:00pm On Mar 07, 2007
@zebra

I don´t remember asking you those questions.Those questions were directed to goodguy and alexj.If you still consider them nonsense questions as you claimed then answer them so that i will tell you the reason why God planted that tree in the Garden of Eden.Simple!
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by cuteass1(f): 9:14pm On Mar 07, 2007
@ goodguy

now its very obvious you're just playing the i-know-best-game and in my opinion the game is dumb and old. So get real and behave smart instead of twisting what we've said, putting words in our mouths.

We'er trying to tell you that God gave every man the ability to choose between wrong and right. I'm sure your mind is actually questioning God for creating women if he dosen't want men to commit fornication/adultery, right??
Sweetheart please snap out of it angry
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Backslider(m): 9:44pm On Mar 07, 2007
@Goodguy
Deuteronomy 11:
26Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;

27A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day:

28And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.

29And it shall come to pass, when the LORD thy God hath brought thee in unto the land whither thou goest to possess it, that thou shalt put the blessing upon mount Gerizim, and the curse upon mount Ebal.

The Lord is a man of WAR
Re: Why Did God Plant That Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by mrmayor(m): 10:20pm On Mar 07, 2007
Swing4real,

Sir,your questions are so lame its laughable at best,but I will answer your questions here goes

swing4real:

1. HOW DO YOU WEIGH OUT A KILOGRAMME OF FIRE?
Fire can be only measured degrees in rate of burn or intensity of burn in Celsius etc it can also be measure in direction of burning called thrust.yes it called Kilograms of Thrust

swing4real:

2.HOW DO U MEASURE A CUBIC METER OF WIND?
Wind is only measure in speed and direction,air can be condensed and measured in litres.

swing4real:

3.HOW DO YOU BRING BACK A DAY THAT HAS PASSED?
Nope I can't,maybe Pastor Chris can  grin grin grin. I can't remember anybody doing it.In the feature Time Travel would be possible and we can all go back to Adam and Eve and stop them from eating that fruit.

swing4real:

4.HOW MANY RIVERS FLOW INTO THE WATERS BENEATH THE EARTH?
Not sure about that but will get back at ya .

swing4real:

5.WHERE ARE THE EXISTS FROM THE WORLD OF THE DEAD?
Stupid question,prove to me that the world of the dead exist and I will tell you how to get out.

swing4real:

6.WHERE ARE THE ENTERANCE TO PARADISE.
I refer the Right Honorable swing4real to answer I gave to question 5,prove there is Paradise

swing4real:

7.HOW MANY DWELLING PLACES,THERE ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA?
Underwater is litered with many rock faces and caves,dwelling places for fishes.don't start with that mammy water nonesense

swing4real:

8.HOW MANY RIVERS ARE THERE ABOVE THE DOME OF THE SKY
I have never heard of rivers above the dome of the sky.BTW where does the sky begin and where does it end?if you tell me am sure I can count the rivers is any.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I "LagosShia" Will Embrace Christianity On Two Little Conditions! / 6 Things We Must Work On To Enable A Deep Worship Lifestyle / Share Funny Christmas Story Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.