Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,269 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn (9685 Views)

Christian Hymn I Love To Sing: "My Jesus, I Love Thee" / What's Your Favorite Hymn? / Story Behind The Hymn, "When I Survey The Wondrous Cross" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Trustme2(m): 11:14am On Feb 18, 2018
Purehuman:

This verse reminds of my childhood. Seriously, I missed those old days. There was this sweetness in being young and godly. As I read through this hymn, I just pictured where I used to sit in church and the people around me at the time.

Things have changed and life is moving so fast that we don't get to fully enjoy the moment.
Yea. Things have rapidly degenerated especially in Christianity. The calmness of services and the joy it brings has been wiped away by the noise and disorderliness that pervades our churches these days

4 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by mimee9(f): 11:14am On Feb 18, 2018
GOD OF MERCY AND COMPASSION
VERSE 1 God of mercy and compassion, Look with pity upon me; Father, let me call thee Father, Tis thy child returns to thee.
CHORUS Jesus Lord, I ask for mercy, Let me not implore in vain; All my sins I now detest them, Never will I sin again.
VERSE 2 By my sins I have deserved, Death and endless misery; Hell with all its pains and torments, And for all eternity.
VERSE 3 By my sins I have abandoned, Right and claim to heaven above; Where the saint rejoice forever, In a boundless sea of love.
VERSE 4 See our Saviour, bleeding, dying, On the Cross of Calvary; To that Cross my sins have nailed him, Yet he bleeds and dies for me.

2 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by fm7070: 11:17am On Feb 18, 2018
Lead us heavenly father lead us
o'er this world tempestuous sea
Guide us, guard us
Keep us, feed us
For we have no help but thee
yet possessing every blessing
If our God our father be
Amen

Happy sunday

3 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by ugbede69(m): 11:22am On Feb 18, 2018
vs.1 All the way my Savior leads me; What have I to ask beside? Can I doubt His tender mercy, Who through life has been my Guide? Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort, Here by faith in Him to dwell! For I know, whate’er befall me, Jesus doeth all things well; For I know, whate’er befall me, Jesus doeth all things well.

2 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Dirkcoyt: 11:23am On Feb 18, 2018
Mine are two songs.
first

Amazing Grace, How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now am found
T'was blind but now I see

I love this hymn so much because of the story behind it, how slaves were shipped and how the captain of the ship was saved from perpetrating the evils of slavery.

the second

The Great Physician now is near,
The sympathizing Jesus;
He speaks the drooping heart to
cheer,
Oh, hear the voice of Jesus!
Sweetest note in seraph song;
Sweetest name on mortal
tongue;
Sweetest carol ever sung:
Jesus, blessed Jesus!

I love this hymn a lot because it comfort me when I'm down.

3 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Memories12411: 11:23am On Feb 18, 2018
Oh Jesus I have promised to serve thee to the end.
Be thou forever near me my master and my friend.
SS&S 606.

2 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by geodanny(m): 11:23am On Feb 18, 2018
1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suff’ring and shame;
And I love that old cross where the Dearest and Best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain:
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.

2. Oh, that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.

3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me

4. To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me someday to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Mac2016(m): 11:24am On Feb 18, 2018
Oore ofe ohun
Adun ni leti wa
Gboun gboun yo gba orun kan
Aye yo gbo pelu...
Oore ofe sa
N'igbekale mi
Jesu ku fun ar'aye
O ku funmi pelu
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by ugbede69(m): 11:24am On Feb 18, 2018
Fading away like the stars of the morning, Losing their light in the glorious sun— Thus would we pass from the earth and its toiling, Only remembered by what we have done. Refrain Only remembered, only remembered, Only remembered by what we have done; Thus would we pass from the earth and its toiling, Only remembered by what we have done.
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by samuelkingz(m): 11:26am On Feb 18, 2018
Thou whose Almighty word chaos and darkness heard, and took thier flight, hear us we humbly pray and where the gospel day sheds not its glorious ray let there be light!

2 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by samuelkingz(m): 11:26am On Feb 18, 2018
Thou whose Almighty word chaos and darkness heard, and took thier flight, hear us we humbly pray and where the gospel day sheds not its glorious ray let there be light!

1 Like

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by bomasek(m): 11:28am On Feb 18, 2018
samuelkingz:
Thou whose Almighty word
chaos and darkness heard,
and took thier flight,
hear us we humbly pray
and where the gospel day
sheds not its glorious ray
let there be light!
U be Eternal member?
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by bomasek(m): 11:29am On Feb 18, 2018
Pleasant are the courts above

1 Like

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Truthisit: 11:29am On Feb 18, 2018
Are you washed in the blood?

1 Like

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by hoopejoy: 11:35am On Feb 18, 2018
God, give us Christian homes!
Homes where the Bible is loved and taught,
Homes where the Master’s will is sought,
Homes crowned with beauty Your love has wrought;
God, give us Christian homes;

4 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Rosebaby568(f): 11:39am On Feb 18, 2018
my hope is built on Notting less than Jesus blood and righteousness I dare not trust the sweetest flame but wholly lean on Jesus name on Christ the solid rock I stand all other ground is sinking sand all other grown is sinking sand

2 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by iheartellah(m): 11:42am On Feb 18, 2018
God is with us, God is with us,
So our brave forefathers sang,
Far across the field of battle
Loud their holy war cry rang;
Though at times they feared and faltered,
Never once they ceased to sing:
God is with us, God is with us,
Christ our Lord shall reign as King!
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by clefstone(m): 11:52am On Feb 18, 2018
NORSIYK:
Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.
The greatest song ever written
God bless u. This song is the greatest communion hymn ever. It just humbles me and it's like I'm telling God I am not worthy, I am a sinner but he tells me to come to him and indeed I come. Great great hymn. I was hoping it wud be on the first page and here it is. God bless u

2 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Immaculatemave: 11:52am On Feb 18, 2018
Guide me O,thou great redeemer Pilligrim through this barren land i am weak but thou at mighty hold me with thou powerful hand Bread of heaven feed me till i want no more
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Aurelia038: 11:52am On Feb 18, 2018
yield not to temptation
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by enemmo(f): 11:59am On Feb 18, 2018
When peace like a River attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot..thou hath taught me to know
It is well
It is well
With my soul

Jara

My other best hymn is 'oh the love of the lord is the essence but its verse three that makes me cry..

There’ve been times when I’ve turned from his presence,
and I’ve walked other paths, other ways.
But I’ve called on his name in the dark of my shame,
and his mercy was gentle as silence.

1 Like

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Ifejiswag(m): 12:15pm On Feb 18, 2018
It is well its well its well with my soul its well its well with my soul
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 18, 2018
Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father
There is no shadow of turning with Thee
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be

2 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by osusuallstars: 12:30pm On Feb 18, 2018
THERE IS A FRIEND FOR LITTLE CHILDREN, ABOVE THE BRIGHT BLUE SKY,
A FRIEND WHO NEVER CHANGES WHOSE LOVE WILL NEVER DIE. (please help me complete am , am not with my hymn now

the next,
JESU LOVER OF MY SOUL
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by lawlhee: 12:31pm On Feb 18, 2018
Trustme2:
I need no other argument
I need no other plea
It is enough that Jesus died
And that he died for me

Only me today I have 4 FTC on front page. I wish this thing comes with monetary reward. But no Seun will never dash anybody N1.
Anyway this is a sign of better things to come. Just shower me with some likes and I'll be Ok

Finally you can be sure that most youths born from 1990 upwards cannot relate or know these wonderful hymns that were inspired by God through the writers and that inspired some of us while growing up.
Pls let us not allow these hymns to be lost in our Christian journey especially in this era of Pentecostal churches where noise and uninspiring and worldly songs has taken over the music ministry

It is I need no other evidence not I need no other argument. Argument ko, argument ni.
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Sanctecosma(m): 12:33pm On Feb 18, 2018
influenz:
Mine is

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer

This is the hymn that usually melts my heart whenever I hear it being sung especially during Holy Communion. It goes like this:
Sweet Sacrament divine,
Hid in your earthly home,
Lo! round your lowly shrine,
With suppliant hearts we come,
Jesus, to you our voice we raise,
In songs of love and heartfelt praise,
Sweet Sacrament divine (2x).
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by uglodoh(f): 12:35pm On Feb 18, 2018
lawlhee:

It is I need no other evidence not I need no other argument. Argument ko, argument ni.

It is I need no argument not evidence.
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by lawlhee: 12:36pm On Feb 18, 2018
Like the woman at the well I was seeking for things that could not satisfy and then I heard my Savior speaking draw from my well that never shall run dry
chorus fill my cup Lord, I lift it up Lord come and quench this thirsting of my soul bread of heaven feed me till I want no more fill my cup fill it up and make me whole
My best hymn song...

2 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by Thewesterner(m): 12:37pm On Feb 18, 2018
There is not a friend like the Lowly JESUS...
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by boldking(m): 12:42pm On Feb 18, 2018
The Church’s one foundation
Is Jesus Christ her Lord;
She is His new creation
By water and the Word:
From heav’n He came and sought her
To be His holy Bride;
With His own blood He bought her,
And for her life He died.

2 Elect from every nation,
Yet one o’er all the earth,
Her charter of salvation,
One Lord, one faith, one birth;
One holy Name she blesses,
Partakes one holy food,
And to one hope she presses,
With every grace endued.

3 ’Mid toil and tribulation,
And tumult of her war,
She waits the consummation
Of peace for evermore;
Till, with the vision glorious,
Her longing eyes are blest,
And the great Church victorious
Shall be the Church at rest.

4 Yet she on earth hath union
With God the Three in One,
And mystic sweet communion
With those whose rest is won:
O happy ones and holy!
Lord, give us grace that we,
Like them, the meek and lowly,
In love may dwell with Thee.

2 Likes

Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by gr8tone: 12:47pm On Feb 18, 2018
AishaBuhari:

Say this on a Muslim thread and get banned instantly
you are right. The guy doesn't know what he is doing. He has forgotten that Everybody will account for every careless word that comes from his mouth.
Re: Share The First Verse Of Your Favorite Christian Hymn by agog: 12:55pm On Feb 18, 2018
hoopejoy:
Homes where the Bible is loved and taught,
Homes where the Master’s will is sought,
Homes crowned with beauty Your love has wrought;
God, give us Christian homes;

Thanks for this master piece. I love this song and I wish every homes can just put to practice the wordings of the song.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Quran Burning Cancel / If I Were An Atheist / Nigerian Anglican Homosexual Priest Defrocked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.