Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,095 members, 7,814,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan (8019 Views)

Securing A 2nd Term In Office Is No Longer A Birth Right – Obasanjo Tells Buhari / North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate / Gov. Godswill Akpabio Of Akwa Ibom Campaigning For Vice President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by henry101(m): 9:17pm On Apr 27, 2010
ifihearam:

Let me quickly clear the air here,if Jonathan makes th mistake of taking the part of honour and waits till 2015 then it is the ed of his political career,rather let him take the position of a VP with a northerner for the next 4 years and after the zoning to the South South then he can contest for presidency and he would win hands down.But we must never make the mistake of zoning the presidency to the IBOS otherwise this country is damned.

Unrepentant fool, who are the "WE" and do u have any problem with the IGBOS?
U dont see beyond ur nose, MUMU.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by tekma: 9:29pm On Apr 27, 2010
henry101 is not referin 2 my post an I got his insultive text nt happy
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by sjeezy8: 9:37pm On Apr 27, 2010
ifihearam:

Let me quickly clear the air here,if Jonathan makes th mistake of taking the part of honour and waits till 2015 then it is the ed of his political career,rather let him take the position of a VP with a northerner for the next 4 years and after the zoning to the South South then he can contest for presidency and he would win hands down.But we must never make the mistake of zoning the presidency to the IBOS otherwise this country is damned.

No one owns Nigeria and everyone should have a shot at the presidency regardless of tribe even the igbos(with their annoying biafran rants) If it will make everyone feel equal and a better Nigeria.

I see hausas as my brother as well as igbos even if both of them are psychos and paranoid.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by HIROSHI: 9:41pm On Apr 27, 2010
Goodluck Jonathan would be the greatest fool if he becomes ANYBODY's VP after being a President. He should not agree o. It is better to be President for three months and be counted amongst presidents (like Ernest Shonekan) than to be president small and then revert to Vice President. Haba!

Look, the man should forget all those threatening him and give it a run. No shaking. The sky would not fall. It's either he wins or he loses. No big deal to lose (IBB failed in his bid to stay put, Abacha failed to rule like a monarch, Obasanjo failed in his third term bid, Buhari failed twice to be civilian president, Gowon failed to get NRC Presidential Ticket for Zaria LGA under Option A4, Shonekan failed to hold on to power).

He should give it a shot. He is better than IBB, Buhari, Gusau, Obasanjo, Ogbuluafor and all the other 'leaders' who are calling for him not to run.

All of them will queue up behind him if he wields the presidential powers well. That was what got IBB in line when Obasanjo wielded the Yar'adua option. That was what got IBB quiet throughout the reign of Abacha. He was suddenly everywhere when Abacha died and Abdulsalam got in. IBB is not a powerful as he is touted to be, he is just very tactical. A fox.

Look Goody Joe, you have NOTHING to lose for trying to be the next president.After all, you would have just been among the other governors looking for second term by now and now you are Ag President. Go for it man!
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by jimmysho(m): 9:45pm On Apr 27, 2010
nay talk, the guy is contestring for the most exalted position in the land so no cause for alarm
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by cantell(m): 9:50pm On Apr 27, 2010
sjeezy8:

No one owns Nigeria and everyone should have a shot at the presidency regardless of tribe even the igbos(with their annoying biafran rants) If it will make everyone feel equal and a better Nigeria.

I see hausas as my brother as well as igbos even if both of them are psychos and paranoid.

Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by henry101(m): 1:14am On Apr 28, 2010
tekma:

henry101 is not referin 2 my post an I got his insultive text nt happy

U R COOL BROTHER.
I WAS ONLY REPLYING THE MUMU THAT DONT SEE BEYOND HIS CROOKED NOSE
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by amirize(m): 2:25am On Apr 28, 2010
Nigeria
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by utotomi50(m): 3:13am On Apr 28, 2010
Obasanjo has spoken! shocked shocked He will probably have control of Nigeria for all of his life.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 28, 2010
NONSENSE - NO SENSE,

THE ISSUE OF NORTHENERS BECOMING THE PRESIDENT WAS AGREED BY THOSE GROUP OF THEIVES CALLED PDP, I MEAN THAT IS THEIR OWN WAHALA NOT NIGERIANS, SO THEREFORE UNCLE JO HAS EVERY RIGHT AS CITIZEN OF NIGERIA TO CONTEST AND WHOEVER THAT DOES LIKE IT SHOULD CONTEST WITH HIM. ALL IT REQUIRES IS FOR HIM TO CHANGE HIS PARTY AND RUN FOR THE ELECTION AND WE ALL KNOW WHAT POWER OF INCUMBENCY DOES IN NIGERIA. IF YOU DON'T AND CARES TO KNOW THEN GO AND MEET GOV. PETER OBI OF ANAMBRA STATE. HE HAD THE POWER AND WON ALL THE MIGHTY THIEVES IN PDP ANAMBRA.
UNCLE JO CAN STILL DO THE SAME HERE, PERIOD!

LET HIM RESHUFFLE, STRATEGIZE & MANIPULATE HIS WAY, HE WOULD GET THERE WITH OR WITHOUT PDP INCLUDING THE NORTH, AFTER ALL OBASANJO DID, SO WHAT COUNTS IS THE ALMIGHTY RIGGING OF ELECTION.
IN CONCLUSION, I SUPPORT UNCLE JO COZ WITH HIS FEW MONTHS IN OFFICE, HE HAS PROVEN CAPABLE OF HANDLING THE JOB MORE THAN HIS SO CALLED NORTHENER OGA.
N0 1 e.g Nigerian local content
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 9:31am On Apr 28, 2010
olibyno:

NONSENSE - NO SENSE,

THE ISSUE OF NORTHENERS BECOMING THE PRESIDENT WAS AGREED BY THOSE GROUP OF THEIVES CALLED PDP, I MEAN THAT IS THEIR OWN WAHALA NOT NIGERIANS, SO THEREFORE UNCLE JO HAS EVERY RIGHT AS CITIZEN OF NIGERIA TO CONTEST AND WHOEVER THAT DOES LIKE IT SHOULD CONTEST WITH HIM. ALL IT REQUIRES IS FOR HIM TO CHANGE HIS PARTY AND RUN FOR THE ELECTION AND WE ALL KNOW WHAT POWER OF INCUMBENCY DOES IN NIGERIA. IF YOU DON'T AND CARES TO KNOW THEN GO AND MEET GOV. PETER OBI OF ANAMBRA STATE. HE HAD THE POWER AND WON ALL THE MIGHTY THIEVES IN PDP ANAMBRA.
UNCLE JO CAN STILL DO THE SAME HERE, PERIOD!

LET HIM RESHUFFLE, STRATEGIZE & MANIPULATE HIS WAY, HE WOULD GET THERE WITH OR WITHOUT PDP INCLUDING THE NORTH, AFTER ALL OBASANJO DID, SO WHAT COUNTS IS THE ALMIGHTY RIGGING OF ELECTION.
IN CONCLUSION, I SUPPORT UNCLE JO COZ WITH HIS FEW MONTHS IN OFFICE, HE HAS PROVEN CAPABLE OF HANDLING THE JOB MORE THAN HIS SO CALLED NORTHENER OGA.
N0 1 e.g Nigerian local content

So you support rigging if its going to favour your candidate?
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by DoubleN(m): 9:37am On Apr 28, 2010
Deducting from the current sate of affairs in the Nigerian Political system,it boils down to OBJ Vs IBB?? Such a shame that these two criminals who should have been tried for crimes against humanity long time ago and destroying the futures of uncountable Nigerians are still here scheming the power play in this country! What a Shame!!! Youth of this country,we need to claim our country back.These Criminals have to Go!!!
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by tomzman: 9:50am On Apr 28, 2010
Nigeria is indeed a funny country.For Christ's sake when are we going to reason like normal humans.Did Bush have a hand in Obama's election or was the presidency of the U.S zoned to a particular state or region of the country?We are only making a fool of ourselves.We waste a lot of resources to conduct an election when the winner has already known himself even before the election.If IBB returns to power, then Nigeria is indeed doomed.PDP is a shameless party for even thinking of IBB,they don't have anything good to offer Nigerians and instead of the remaining parties to form a strong opposition against them,they are also not serious.In a normal democratic state, the will of the people is more important but in Nigeria the will of a few senseless, irresponsible and useless elements called politicians is supreme.I'm sorry for the geographical entity called Nigeria.Only the almighty God will save us.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by bisiaet: 10:07am On Apr 28, 2010
Is this not another tactics to hold the country at ransome again? Because I dont really understand why are they pressuring Jonathan on Vice presidency ticket and not how he should perform well in the office he is as Acting President this is outrageous? Is their anything wrong if Jonathan want to contest? Is he not a Nigerian?

The issue of eight years rotation is this agreement a total agreement by all Nigerians or PDP agreement or where is it writen in our consitution? What guarantee that this Northern stuffs will hand over after the eight years with the way they are so crazy with power at all cost?

I dont really understand what OBJ mean and beside it is funny when the like of those in the list that are looking for Vice Presidential ticket under IBB. Let just look at the name of those who want to rule alongside IBB both the main man(IBB) and the so called VP lobbyst what is their credibility "questionable? especially Tinubu
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 10:09am On Apr 28, 2010
tomzman:

Nigeria is indeed a funny country.For Christ's sake when are we going to reason like normal humans.Did Bush have a hand in Obama's election or was the presidency of the U.S zoned to a particular state or region of the country?We are only making a fool of ourselves.We waste a lot of resources to conduct an election when the winner has already known himself even before the election.If IBB returns to power, then Nigeria is indeed doomed.PDP is a shameless party for even thinking of IBB,they don't have anything good to offer Nigerians and instead of the remaining parties to form a strong opposition against them,they are also not serious.In a normal democratic state, the will of the people is more important but in Nigeria the will of a few senseless, irresponsible and useless elements called politicians is supreme.I'm sorry for the geographical entity called Nigeria.Only the almighty God will save us.  

This is a very useless rant.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Nobody: 10:20am On Apr 28, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

So you support rigging if its going to favour your candidate?

My Dear Akanbi, IBB and Atiku knows fully well that they would hardly get the full supports of nigerians, probably because of their past deeds/records

do you know what keeps them going or motivated? RIGGING coz our votes doesn't count at all, so seems, we want Uncle Jo, whatever it would take him to get there, let him do it.
OUR VOTE PLUS RIGGING=PRESIDENT, its far better than WITHOUT OUR VOTE PLUS RIGGING=PRESIDENT
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Akanbiedu(m): 11:28am On Apr 28, 2010
olibyno:

My Dear Akanbi, IBB and Atiku knows fully well that they would hardly get the full supports of nigerians, probably because of their past deeds/records

do you know what keeps them going or motivated? RIGGING coz our votes doesn't count at all, so seems, we want Uncle Jo, whatever it would take him to get there, let him do it.
OUR VOTE PLUS RIGGING=PRESIDENT,(1) its far better than WITHOUT OUR VOTE PLUS RIGGING=PRESIDENT(2)

LOL equation(1) is wrong. our vote doesn't need rigging. equation(2) is right.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Pioneer1: 12:12pm On Apr 28, 2010
You all have written well, but I have a question to ask the house. Does it mean that we Nigerian have adopted PDP as the only party in Nigeria? The task is that Dr. Good luck should constitute a strong electoral reform that will give the good citizens of Nigeria the opportunity to vote for who they want to pilot the affair of the country for ones after some decade of years. With the strong and genuine reform, Nigerians can come out and vote with confidence who we want him to rule us. But I strongly believe that no good Nigerian will cast his/her vote to people we all know that kept this blessed country in this bad shape back to power. Let us all look for the party with the best candidate and not rotation. What Nigerians need is someone that will better the country and not rotation on how to share the National Cake. WAKE UP NIGERIANS cry
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 28, 2010
Pioneer1:

You all have written well, but I have a question to ask the house. Does it mean that we Nigerian have adopted PDP as the only party in Nigeria? The task is that Dr. Good luck should constitute a strong electoral reform that will give the good citizens of Nigeria the opportunity to vote for who they want to pilot the affair of the country for ones after some decade of years. With the strong and genuine reform, Nigerians can come out and vote with confidence who we want him to rule us. But I strongly believe that no good Nigerian will cast his/her vote to people we all know that kept this blessed country in this bad shape back to power. Let us all look for the party with the best candidate and not rotation. What Nigerians need is someone that will better the country and not rotation on how to share the National Cake. WAKE UP NIGERIANS cry
pdp seems to be the only party with the machinery on ground to win any election.opposition parties are not living up to the standard of pdp and that is why pdp has always been a yardstick to measure political standard of nigeria.the only opposition party of recent to challenge pdp is the defunct Alliance for democracy which held the south west strong before it was infiltrated in 2003 by pdp spies who did everything to see the collapse of the party.
IMO,i think the constitution should be strongly uphold to counter all pdp nuisance in our polity.if not,the party will seem to be the determinant of the faith of nigerians and their future generation
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Emmacarnegie(m): 1:15pm On Apr 28, 2010
The norths should realize we are talking about a nation $ not a firm,de best hand i believe can man dis country notwitstanding tribe.So i support uncle Joe & 4rm de 1s he has done i hope dat de future wit him is bright
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by tomzman: 1:38pm On Apr 28, 2010
Pioneer1:

true talk,we really need to wake up.Nigeria needs development and not power rotation.

Akanbi_edu:

This is a very useless rant.

why wont you say so, when you yourself are useless.Dont bother to reply cos I wont be coming here again to read it.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by suxes2005(m): 1:51pm On Apr 28, 2010
When and where did OBJ say that?

In a telephone conversation,
where's d proof, ?

SHALOM
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by utotomi50(m): 2:09pm On Apr 28, 2010
SHALOM TO YOU TO. grin
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by mcdokwe(m): 3:21pm On Apr 28, 2010
Those criticizing OBJ should have a rethink and shouldn't go thinking there would ever be a time when someone of his status would not meddle or try to determine the affairs of state (he earned it) what we should be concerned with however is CREDIBLE ELECTIONS come 2011, where every counted vote counts.

Join other political science students all over nigeria in the group http://m.facebook.com/group.php?gid=168850973827&ra2bcd7e0&refid=27 and let your voice be heard.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by dasa: 5:46pm On Apr 28, 2010
none of these criminals are planning for the people. Only the peoples money
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by globatop: 11:34pm On Apr 28, 2010
[Top on the list of those who have reached out to Babangida, most of the time subtly, are a former President of the Senate, Chief Ken Nnamani; a former Governor of Rivers State, Dr. Peter Odili; Sylva; the Governor of Edo State, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole; former Governor of Lagos State, Alhaji Bola Tinubu; and the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Barrister Godswill Akpabio.

/quote]
If this quote is true then it could be interesting, to know the extent of how nigerian could be undignifying all to clinch to power. Should any southerner of their status even consider sitting next IBB talk less of wimming and dinning together
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by isimili: 11:42pm On Apr 28, 2010
I do not know what to believe but if this news is true, I can only advice Jonathan to follow his own heart. Obasanjo's sense of judgement is unsound and highly questionable. He decided to impose yaradua on Nigeria and look where that got the poor man and nigeria. therefore in light of his (Obasanjo's) antecedents, i think that every sensible nigerian must stay away from him and his do or die selection style. iwu to count but a few and ignoring Bode george is his creation and so also many others like him.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Otobroto(f): 12:33am On Apr 29, 2010
isimili:

I do not know what to believe but if this news is true, I can only advice Jonathan to follow his own heart. Obasanjo's sense of judgement is unsound and highly questionable. He decided to impose yaradua on Nigeria and look where that got the poor man and nigeria. therefore in light of his (Obasanjo's) antecedents, i think that every sensible nigerian must stay away from him and his do or die selection style. iwu to count but a few and ignoring Bode george is his creation and so also many others like him.

That is his problem, which many does not know.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by selingel: 1:50am On Apr 29, 2010
From inception, OBJ has always wanted to be relevant in politics, that is why he made himself to be the head of his party, when he was the President. That is why Jonathan is very powerful now.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by selingel: 2:11am On Apr 29, 2010
Jonathan had better not run, says ACF chieftain
Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Anthony Sani spoke to Saxone Akhaine in kaduna.

Excerpts:

What is your assessment of the new federal cabinet appointed by Acting President Goodluck Jonathan and how does your organization view it, with regards to the ability chosen ministers to redress the nation's multi-faceted problems?

I don't have any objection in his appointing the ministers. And I am not in a position to know whether they met the required standard or not because he has his own information about them, particularly when a good number of them are not visible, and you know if they have not been in public affairs before you will not be in a position to assess any of them. To that extent I cannot say whether he has done a very good job or not. But, if I were he I will not bring back any sacked minister, precisely because, in the first place this country was almost divided by the Federal Executive Council under Yar'adua. It reached a level such that the Acting President couldn't run a united government again. And so, it was fair that he dissolved them because there were pro-Yar'Adua and pro-Jonathan. In that case he should have just sacked all of them. Now, whether you bring Yar'Adua people in they will call it appeasement, if you also bring Jonathan group in they will say favoritism and they will accuse you of victimization. So, you end up creating bickering if you are bringing some of them in. If I were him I will not bring any of those who served Yar'adua into the new cabinet. I will only plead with them that if that will be the only sacrifice they will make for this country it is a small price, they should accept it. You see, the idea of bringing some of them in could expose him to another round of bickering.

Politicians are already jostling for the 2011 elections and presidential hopefuls from the North like retired General Ibrahim Babangida are bracing up for the contest. How will you react to the mounting opposition against the Candidacy of Babangida today?

I think there are reactions from all sides. I have seen those who want Babangida to contest and also those who are opposing him. Majority of those opposing him are saying no, you annulled June 12, how can you now come to contest under a democratic regime, which you did not work for. Also, there are some people from the South-South who prefers him and are ready to die for him, and saying that he should be given a chance at about 70 years of age so that he will do one tenure and move back to his house.

We in the north, particularly ACF do not promote any candidate. But we have criteria, where we ask northerners to look for every aspirant that is credible and try to contest election. We cannot as ACF adopt a particular candidate because all the political parties are in ACF, all the gladiators namely Babangida, Atiku and Buhari are patron of ACF. So, you will find out that ACF will not come out and adopt a particular candidate, because that will amount to killing the Forum. But, we shall present the qualities that are required from a credible candidate and if you know that you don't meet the qualities then you should know that you are out and you cannot represent the north.

Does General Babangida meet the credibility requirements of the ACF?

Definitely, he will meet some, and he may not meet some. But, I don't know if there will be anybody that will be able to meet all. For example, people say he did not fight corruption when he was in office, not that they are saying he is corrupt. But, by not fighting corruption that means he endorsed corruption. However, others are saying he was very sensitive, he did not allow the recirculation of certain individuals, whether as ministers or as governors, and when you consider the political economy, where government functioned on who gets what, how and when, you know that he would give people to have a sense of belonging. And if you look at it again, when you make too much criticism Babangida is somebody who will give you something. Look at (Prof.) Wole Soyinka, when he criticized him so much, Babangida gave him the Road Safety Corps to manage. When Late Tai Solarin criticized him very hard, he gave him Peoples Bank to manage. So, there are certain things that are in his favour, and there are other things that worked against him, which I admit.

You sound like a supporter of Babangida and you may, for example, readily accept that, as his critics say, he was the architect of the bad economic policies that ruined the nation?

Babangida brought up the Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP) which is widely believed to have killed the middle class in Nigeria, but since he left, there has not been any attempt to stop the policy. Like, the argument that he brought to the fore, he left when the Naira was 22 Naira to a dollar. But, right now it is 150 to a dollar. Does it mean that there has not been any President who can stop this? You see, there are socio-economic indices which the international community uses to rate our economy, and Nigeria is the only country that its yesterday is always better than today. Have we as a people ever thought about this problem? Could it be that we could not have leaders that could have put a stop to our economy nose-diving?

So, even if we want to blame him for bringing SAP, that does not mean there was no leader that could have stopped the negative effects of that economic policy, including Olusegun Obasanjo who was rated to have been very dominant and very strong. You see, to me Babangida's SAP, had a human face because he never allowed co-investors so me and you could buy. But, during Obasanjo's time, they allowed co-investor it was an extreme of its own. In other words, under his policy, people like me would be nobody. But, what happened then, from the time he left office, the situation is still a continuation of SAP. Could it be that all the governments are in love with Structural Adjustment Programmes or what happened? You mean after 17 years nobody could change the nation's economy for better, this is still a mystery.

Some people are saying that if Jonathan performs well within the short timeframe he could be given a chance to run for the Presidency in 2011, what is your attitude to this contention?

Listen to me very well Jonathan has the right to contest the election. There is no law that bares him. There is no law whatsoever. But, we are operating under certain arrangement. And I want to give you the history of the arrangement, which people are pretending not to agree with. During the Abacha's Constitutional Conference, it was the Ekweme who led the southerners to insist in the spirit of power shift and that there should be rotation in the politics of Nigeria. The north said no, that would be anti-democratic because by saying zoning, rotation, you are killing democracy.

But, somehow because Ekweme was more articulate, and given the injustice done to Abiola by annulling June 12, they conceded to zoning and rotation to the extent that even when the Alliance For Democracy (A D) could not score the 5 percent required in the local government election, the law was waived in favour of AD. It was all in the spirit of zoning and rotation. In 1999, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presented Obasanjo in the spirit of rotation and ANPP presented Falae, even from AD then. It was all in the spirit of rotation and zoning because of the injustice done to Abiola.

So, in essence it is the southerners that foisted rotation, power shift and zoning on the polity. They took advantage of the mood of the nation at that time and everybody conceded. Now, they gave them the first eight years, let me tell you before Yar'Adua falling sick comes in, on which ground you seek to upturn the arrangement. What will Jonathan say, even though it in his own right to contest, but what will he say? In the first place, rotation, power shift and zoning were a southern agenda. The south have done their own, are they going to swallow their words now? Though Jonathan is entitled to vie and I don't think ACF is in a position to oppose it.

Let us get it right if eventually the zoning formula were cancelled will the ACF oppose the action?

No we will not oppose it. But, who is going to cancel it? You are asking an imaginary question. Who is going to cancel it? I am saying that the vocal group which is the south are the ones that brought rotation, so who is going to cancel it now?

Assuming somebody else emerges from the south, will the north support him?

I pray he does, but we should have known him by now. Why should we restrict it to few gladiators? The visible aspirants who are capable of coming out for the presidential election we all know them.

Are you not bothered that Nigeria continues to recycle old politicians that have been there before for the presidency in this century when the world is moving at jet speed and the younger generation are taking over?

I am very bothered when it comes to that issue. At the moment, we have the youths in the National Assembly; they call them "I-second-the-motion." They don't bring motions; they always second the motion, and they are the youth. We have governors that are young, have they delivered the goods? So, I don't think it is a matter of age. I agree that re-circling the same people is bad. But, it is not a matter of age. Regan of America was at 70 and he made America feel young.

So, if somebody makes me feel young in this country by putting the economy right that means I have hope. See what happened in America before the election of Obama, it was the youth. They mobilized 5 dollars, 10 dollars and so on for his campaign. So, let the masses take a cue from the happenings around the world to salvage the nation. Here, it is the same youths that are being used for rigging, for election crisis and so on. This time around let the youths themselves not be the problem. As 2011 approaches, let the youths engage themselves for positive political changes in Nigeria.

http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Enjoyment1(f): 9:24am On Apr 29, 2010
I keep saying this, let Jonathan act as a referee here, so that, there will be credible elections.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 29, 2010
Is there an unwritten rule that a Northerner should be President,
the last president they gave to us turned out to be a sickly gaunt old man. The ACF elders all sit round a bonfire drawing lots as to which of their kinsmen becomes the next President and we take it like that? angry

and is PDP the only party in Nigeria. If Azikwe or Awolowo rose from the grave to contest elections,would they bar them because of their tribal affiliations.
' Oh wait,what about the other less prominent tribes (tivs,beroms,nupe etc) when will the baton be swung in their direction?? '

Last time I checked, some of the statutes of democracy states Everyone has the right to vote in elections, and also the right to be elected as a public official also  the right to choosing government yourself or by choosing politicians to represent you.

Fooking rubbish, Nigerians should please wake up o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians Will Decide UNILAG/MAU’s Name Change - Senator Gbenga Ashafa / What If We Bring Back The Whites To Nigeria? / Magu Sends Defence To Salami Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.