Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,877 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan (8020 Views)

Securing A 2nd Term In Office Is No Longer A Birth Right – Obasanjo Tells Buhari / North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate / Gov. Godswill Akpabio Of Akwa Ibom Campaigning For Vice President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Chidoxyl(m): 12:16am On Apr 30, 2010
For me, 2 things are key:

1. The PDP machinery can not & will never allow Jonathan win PDP's primary. I can bet my all on this. Just becos he is the National Chairman of PDP, listen to Ogbulafor (a God-forsaken Igbo man) speak about the north ruling for another 4-year term, by virtue of PDP's agenda.

2. D 2nd thing 4 me is d PDP agenda of the north ruling for another 4-year term. Funny enough, this is just d decision of 1 political party (of the 30 or so parties we have registered in Nigeria). Has God declared that PDP will win d 2011 election? With men playing God in Nigeria, I see d 11th plague that was suppose to befall d old Egypt during d days of Moses happening here in Nigeria as we approach 2011.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 1:48am On Apr 30, 2010
Do you expect anything different from him?
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by ceasyc(f): 2:33am On Apr 30, 2010
OBJ yan wetin? naim dey talk who dey rule or who go enter office
NA HAUSA OR NORTH GET DIS COUNTRY?
na wa oh, democracy my arse. more like democraZy

BACKWARD OBJ
BACKWARD 9JA
BACKWARD PEOPLE
BACKWARD THINKING
BACKWARD COUNTRY

BACKWARD List is endless grin
dis is horrendous! angry angry angry
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Fhemmmy: 3:02am On Apr 30, 2010
OBJ Was part of those that signed the deals to wanna see the power being shared like we were in some 100BC.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by otukpo(f): 8:54am On Apr 30, 2010
i have the feeling that GJ has the power right now to silence OBJ in Nig politics.
So what is he waiting for?
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by marvix(m): 9:20am On Apr 30, 2010
Quote frm selingel

See what happened in America before the election of Obama, it was the youth. They mobilized 5 dollars, 10 dollars and so on for his campaign. So, let the masses take a cue from the happenings around the world to salvage the nation. Here, it is the same youths that are being used for rigging, for election crisis and so on. This time around let the youths themselves not be the problem. As 2011 approaches, let the youths engage themselves for positive political changes in Nigeria.

Youths on dis forum are we ready 4 d change we clamour are we ready as individuals 2 contribute our 50naira or 1000naira to support our candidate nd not wait 2 receive 500 or 5000naira frm confirmed thieves to continue their lootin.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by selingel: 10:46am On Apr 30, 2010
Presidency Never Zoned To North – Obasanjo

•Says It’s Up To Jonathan To Run In 2011
By Chinedu Offor Correspondent, Washington DC

The drum beat is sounding louder for Acting President Goodluck Jonathan to go the whole hog and run for President next year.
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo raised the ante on Thursday; arguing across the Atlantic in Washington that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) never zoned the Presidency to any region.

“The President can come from any part of the country, and nothing in the Constitution says he must come from a certain part of the country,” he told the Voice of America.
He reiterated that Acting President Goodluck Jonathan “says he wants to focus on moving the country forward,” and “I think Nigerians should support him to do that. The decision to run or not is his to make.

“He should not be distracted from the huge task he is faced with.”
Until now, what was bandied about was the agreement in the PDP, which is not in the Nigerian Constitution, that the Presidency and principal posts in the National Assembly (NASS) should rotate between the North and South.
Particularly, going by the deal, the Presidency will rotate between the North and South every eight years, on the back of the two-tenure term Obasanjo, a Southerner, served in the Villa from 1999 to 2007.

Umaru Yar’Adua, from the North, took over as President on May 27, 2007, but has since November 23, 2009 got off the stage through ill health, paving the way for Jonathan to be in charge, albeit in an acting capacity.
The crisis in the PDP is expected, Obasanjo clarified, because of the different personalities of its officials and members.

Obasanjo, who visited Washington on a private business, also credited himself with “the democratic progress” made by Nigeria since he left office.
“(Jonathan) is from a minority tribe (from the South South) and the number three citizen, the Senate President (David Mark), is from a minority tribe from the Middle Belt.

“Ordinarily these ethnic groups may not have been able to produce such senior elected officials if it were not for the democratic decisions I took,” he stressed.
To him, insecurity, especially armed robbery, kidnapping, and violence are not peculiar to Nigeria.
“Other countries have their own problems, the killings in Jos is not religious or ethnic, as people want the world to believe. It is just borne out of frustration because of poverty and disagreement over land.”

Obasanjo again defended picking ailing Yar’Adua to succeed him, but admitted he may not have done a thorough background check on him when he was Katsina State Governor.

“I saw Umoru through the prism of his elder brother, Shehu, who was a close friend and loyal officer. If he had lived, he would have been my Vice President because we were very close.”
He said Yar’Adua has the temperament and vision to be President but that he had no idea his health could not withstand the rigors of the job.

“The job of President is very rigorous, especially in a country like Nigeria. I received assurances from at least three medical experts who said although he has had dialysis, his health was strong enough to perform his duties.”
Obasanjo criticised those who said he actively sought a third term while in office.

“I never wanted a third term in office. As an officer, I gave my word on two terms. I handed over power to Shehu Shagari (in 1979), contrary to the advice of several African Heads of State, so there was no way I could have worked for a third term.
“There is still life after the Presidency.”

http://independentngonline.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=12834
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by selingel: 10:47am On Apr 30, 2010
Now, the real drama begins!.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by akwaowoudo(m): 2:19pm On Apr 30, 2010
What is wrong with trying? Obasanjo is age insaned.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by selingel: 4:09pm On Apr 30, 2010
I guess, this is the real heart of OBJ. To install Jonathan.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by aaroon4all: 10:37am On May 01, 2010
i think the best way is for the country to devide not by war and God will help so that ther will not be blood shared obj can not be dictating in d goverment as iif nigeria is his father inheritance GOD will wipe out all those politician who sits dowm with satan to rule nigeria.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by luluosas(m): 12:20pm On May 01, 2010
I doubt most sincerely that Ken Nnamani, Adams Oshiomole and Tinubu will lobby IBB to be VP.

Don't think the story is worth any consideration.

Just to let you know that, Oshiomhole is already considering such move. IBB was his special quest of honour on Thursday 29th April, 2010, in Benin City, during his campaign launch of one man one vote this week.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by marvix(m): 8:50pm On May 01, 2010
@luluosas was it d same rally IBB was thoroughly humiliated dat u ar referin to.

Oshiomole brought them because d prog was meant 2 b non partisan so even Jonathan was invited nd was duly represented.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by XueRengui: 5:09pm On Feb 26, 2015
What an advice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Are Ready For Ekiti Governorship Election - Police / Obasanjo Strikes Again On Atiku's Defenses / (Opinion) The Positive Effect Of Open Direct Primaries In Nigeria Democracy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.