Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,057 members, 7,814,634 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan (8018 Views)

Securing A 2nd Term In Office Is No Longer A Birth Right – Obasanjo Tells Buhari / North Shops For Vice-Presidential Candidate / Gov. Godswill Akpabio Of Akwa Ibom Campaigning For Vice President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Hardtalk: 8:58pm On Apr 26, 2010
Even me, I am confused. Who am I to believe; COMPASS or TELL Newspapers?
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 9:51pm On Apr 26, 2010
If this is true, why is anyone surprised?

Since the north indicated interest in retaining the presidency in 2011, there is NOTHING anyone down south can do about that, at least not as Nigeria is presently constituted.

Imagine a scenario where the Acting President had to choose a northerner (he didn't have a choice undecided) with presidential ambitions like Gen Gusau to be his national security adviser. undecided That was the moment he lost the game. Gen Gusau or even Danjuma will never go against northern resolutions, and as long as the Nigerian military is still in northern hands, the Acting President is powerless to northern interests in the presidency. This is the simple fact.

In all the years Obasanjo was busy terrorizing and killing southern politicians to achieve his aims, he carefully steered clear of northern interests. When they told him he couldn't continue in office, he left like a coward he is. What gives anyone the impression that Obasanjo will support Jonathan against the north? OBJ is all about saving his own hide, and will never go against a declared northern interest.

That is NIGERIA.

It is based on these facts that I keep saying that most Nigerians (especially south-south/ south-easterners) still don't understand their own country. undecided

I foresaw this.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by sjeezy8: 2:42am On Apr 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

OBJ is all about saving his own hide, and will never go against a declared northern interest.
That is NIGERIA.

It is based on these facts that I keep saying that most Nigerians (especially south-south/ south-easterners) still don't understand their own country.
undecided

I foresaw this.

I feel sorry you clown- most igbo people dont know how to think outside of region, tribe, and never say anything sensible. . . . real talk

Like what is making you guys think politically inferior to an Northerner like really?

Onlytruth:

Since the north indicated interest in retaining the presidency in 2011, there is NOTHING anyone down south can do about that, at least not as Nigeria is presently constituted.

are you dumb e be like say igbo man dey fair hausas or is it that you guys cant outsmart northerners? Im soooo curious

and they say yorubas are cowards . . . . lipsrsealed lol
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Hardtalk: 11:49am On Apr 27, 2010
Hmmm!. lipsrsealed
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by brownciga: 3:44pm On Apr 27, 2010
our major problem in this country is mostly from the north. i know some may dispute this but believe me , if the crude oil is from the north they can never allow the south to manage the country. but they still act as if they feed we southerners despite our oil and use it to build the north. this is crazy.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by desolo: 3:51pm On Apr 27, 2010
@[b]sartorius,
u are a political comedian. who wins in nigeria without rigging? how wide was yar adua's support base before he won 2007?@

well you are right , but don't forget yaradull used an existing machinery so i think his support cabal cant work unless the big players approve cool
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by babsmii(m): 3:57pm On Apr 27, 2010
i support you but i won't be surprised if i see your head rolling on the floor, lol grin grin grin
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by sizzlers(m): 4:04pm On Apr 27, 2010
bu ha hah ha ah ha grin cheesy cheesy
Nigeria 2011, I CAN WAIT TO WATCH THE DRAMA
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by emmydee(m): 4:08pm On Apr 27, 2010
nonsense. what good has this zoning brought to this nation. It's only a fool that would want to maintain the zoning this.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by giwa4giwa(m): 4:10pm On Apr 27, 2010
The best thing for Dr. Jonathan is to stay out of the elections and conduct a proper election for the contestants. That will be his legacy. He shouldn't even join anybody as VP.

gd advice, cool wink wink wink
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by otondo55: 4:11pm On Apr 27, 2010
Confusion of a failed State !!!
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by giwa4giwa(m): 4:19pm On Apr 27, 2010
Confusion of a failed State !!!

grin
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by sizzlers(m): 4:25pm On Apr 27, 2010
giwa4giwa:

The best thing for Dr. Jonathan is to stay out of the elections and conduct a proper election for the contestants. That will be his legacy. He shouldn't even join anybody as VP.

gd advice, cool wink wink wink
He should take the path of honor, u are right
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Parnassuss(m): 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2010
I see idiots, i see ants,
i see bitches in male pants.
First thing; Joe is notgoing to step aside in honour, wit each move he is seeming more and more like atypical politician, can't blame him though, you momma's an onion, your dad garlic, no way you smell good. He's going to do what is most pragmatic; either try to beat them and if that fails, bloody lead them. Status quo remainus.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by giwa4giwa(m): 4:46pm On Apr 27, 2010
L N G in NL pls if there is ani issue to tackle or to advice, says ur part or contribution nt to start abusin or causing each other is unfair. what is in my mind mit not be in ur mind coz we r different pple wt diferent style, n our thinking ar not desame, pls stop abusing or causing, am sure if dis issue now is face 2 face not online i cn bet it most of u wl nt tlk. some one wil jst come 2 contribute course and abusive words instead of sayin beta thin n dis is bcoz no one is seeing each other.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2010
Onlytruth:

Imagine a scenario where the Acting President had to choose a northerner (he didn't have a choice undecided) with presidential ambitions like Gen Gusau to be his national security adviser. undecided That was the moment he lost the game. Gen Gusau or even Danjuma will never go against northern resolutions, and as long as the Nigerian military is still in northern hands, the Acting President is powerless to northern interests in the presidency. This is the simple fact.

In all the years Obasanjo was busy terrorizing and killing southern politicians to achieve his aims, he carefully steered clear of northern interests. When they told him he couldn't continue in office, he left like a coward he is. What gives anyone the impression that Obasanjo will support Jonathan against the north? OBJ is all about saving his own hide, and will never go against a declared northern interest.

That is NIGERIA.

It is based on these facts that I keep saying that most Nigerians (especially south-south/ south-easterners) still don't understand their own country. undecided

I foresaw this.

i dont seem to understand your northern palava you are trying to point out.obj pointed out to yaradua to step aside when it was necessary for him to talk and now,if he had to tell jonathan what he thinks based on his respect for zoning arrnagement,then,that doesnt mean he protected northern interest aginst jonathan.
The south doesnt need to feel threatened because the north is coming back in 2011.it is the arrangement of the ruling party which is the only party strong enough to win any majority of votes in any election and it is binding on the south to respect that idea.it is all about ethnic trust and the south respecting such doesnt make them id i o t s.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by sizzlers(m): 5:13pm On Apr 27, 2010
giwa4giwa:

L N G in NL pls if there is ani issue to tackle or to advice, says your part or contribution nt to start abusin or causing each other is unfair. what is in my mind mit not be in your mind coz we r different pple wt diferent style, n our thinking ar not desame, pls stop abusing or causing, am sure if dis issue now is face 2 face not online i cn bet it most of u wl nt tlk. some one wil jst come 2 contribute course and abusive words instead of sayin beta thin n dis is bcoz no one is seeing each other.
Tell them, dey no go mind their own biz and contribute their quota
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by deb(m): 5:31pm On Apr 27, 2010
Do those f[i]oo[/i]ls in PDP actually thought they own Nigeria? A few people deciding the "destiny" of 150million others?
What crap is zoning? if an slowpoke is the one that qualifies to lead Nigeria to the promise land I don't care where he comes from
I just want the best person for the job and I believe that is the position of the majority of Nigerians who are not mediocres.
Nemesis will soon catch up with those fools in PDP and the other looting parties like them
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by ifihearam: 6:10pm On Apr 27, 2010
Let me quickly clear the air here,if Jonathan makes th mistake of taking the part of honour and waits till 2015 then it is the ed of his political career,rather let him take the position of a VP with a northerner for the next 4 years and after the zoning to the South South then he can contest for presidency and he would win hands down.But we must never make the mistake of zoning the presidency to the IBOS otherwise this country is damned.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by gidson12(m): 6:17pm On Apr 27, 2010
ifihearam:

Let me quickly clear the air here,if Jonathan makes th mistake of taking the part of honour and waits till 2015 then it is the ed of his political career,rather let him take the position of a VP with a northerner for the next 4 years and after the zoning to the South South then he can contest for presidency and he would win hands down.But we must never make the mistake of zoning the presidency to the IBOS otherwise this country is damned.
so what if he has to contest under another party, since the PDP unwritten constitution does not allow him.
N guy na wa 4 u o! Wetin ibo man do u na
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by jumobi1(m): 6:18pm On Apr 27, 2010
If its a PDP agreement, the best thing from Jo to do is join another party if he intends to be president or if Nigerians want him to be President.
He joined PDP and was down with them despite their zoning agreement. If he wants to run, he has to change parties.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by jumobi1(m): 6:21pm On Apr 27, 2010
the best thing isn't for him to stay out. The best thing is for the best people to run. if he does a good job as AG, I think we Nigerians should encourage him to run and not just referee a fair election.
That PDP zoning shit is wack because it hinders progress. Its like saying in 2010 Nigeria is going to the world cup. the best players are in the east but its the west turn to represent Nigeria. We would go to the world cup and fall short of Nigeria's potential if the best team (east) went.
I hope I make sense.
But yea. Goodluck is down with PDP so he has to respect their wack shit regardless.
He can join AC or whatever.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Nobody: 6:52pm On Apr 27, 2010
jumobi1:

the best thing isn't for him to stay out. The best thing is for the best people to run. if he does a good job as AG, I think we Nigerians should encourage him to run and not just referee a fair election.
That PDP zoning poo is wack because it hinders progress. Its like saying in 2010 Nigeria is going to the world cup. the best players are in the east but its the west turn to represent Nigeria. We would go to the world cup and fall short of Nigeria's potential if the best team (east) went.
I hope I make sense.
But yea. Goodluck is down with PDP so he has to respect their wack poo regardless.
He can join AC or whatever.
even with his power of incumbency,jonathan's decamp to AC or ANPP will not make him president.
He needs more than votes to win.he needs all the state governors,regional actors and other factors that would deliver victory for him.these are the structures which pdp have and that is why even the worst candidate will always win election on its platform.
reason why ibb and others are jostling for the party slot
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2010
ifihearam:

My friend sharap dia!

Who told you that? Some of you are so naive! Who told you that the Igbo is even desperate to produce the president? If Igbos really want to produce the president, do you think south south is more united for that  same purpose? There are more opposition to Jonathan's presidency from the south south more than any other region in Nigeria. Even his governor Timpriye Silver is his political enemy!
Again there are Igbos in the south south. You might as well say that no one from BOTH regions should be trusted with the presidency. It is really in Nigeria's interest to give the presidency to whoever will work best for the whole country. If for any reason the Igbo feel that they are not wanted in Nigeria, Nigeria is finished because we have the number and the resources to push for secession to a logical end.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by jumobi1(m): 7:08pm On Apr 27, 2010
~Bluetooth:

even with his power of incumbency,jonathan's decamp to AC or ANPP will not make him president.
He needs more than votes to win.he needs all the state governors,regional actors and other factors that would deliver victory for him.these are the structures which pdp have and that is why even the worst candidate will always win election on its platform.
reason why ibb and others are jostling for the party slot

That is why it is up to him to make sure elections are free and fair.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 27, 2010
jumobi1:

That is why it is up to him to make sure elections are free and fair.
we can only hope he set a good legacy for himself and forget about pdp for now
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by jumobi1(m): 7:24pm On Apr 27, 2010
My guy. Free that legacy talk. that thing can wait. What we need is a good president. If he hosts a free election with crooks as candidates, what good does his legacy do Nigeria? I want the guy to run cos so far he is good.
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by westpumpin(m): 8:27pm On Apr 27, 2010
PLS TELL OBJ TO SHUT UP IS MOUTH. WHO SAY GOODLUCK CAN NOT DO IT
OR IT IS BABA IYABO THAT WILL COME AND DO IT AGAIN
OR IBB THAT WANT TO FOOL ALL NIGERIAN
OR ATIKU THAT IS FROM THE NORTH AGIAN
OR YAR.ADUA THAT IS DEAD OR ALIVE
WHO , A BEY MAKE THIS GUY CONTINUE HIS GOOD WORK
because I NOW ENJOY POWER SUPPLY NOW IN MY AREA
GO GOODLUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK cheesy
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Hardtalk: 8:32pm On Apr 27, 2010
2011 Presidency: Don’t run, David-West warns Jonathan
…Says Isoun’s recipe irresponsible, dishonourable
From YINKA FABOWALE, Ibadan
Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Former Petroleum Minister, Prof. Tam David-West, has warned Acting President, Goodluck Jonathan, against yielding to the temptation to contest next year’s presidential election.
“It will be irresponsible, hypocritical, dishonourable and dangerous for the country, if he carried his current flirting with the idea this far,” David-West noted.

The professor of Virology bared his mind in an interview with Daily Sun, in which he condemned a former Minister of Science and Technology, Turner Isoun, for calling on the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to jettison its zoning arrangement which prescribed that the presidency should alternate between the north and the south.

Under the arrangement which saw Olusegun Obasanjo, a southerner, occupying the saddle for eight years (1999-2007), the turn of the north is expected to last till 2015.

The party’s National Chairman, Vincent Ogbulafor, had reiterated that the 2011 presidential contest was exclusively for northern politicians.
But, the Acting President, it is believed, is being goaded to run, with people already drumming up support for him. Apart from campaign posters surfacing in public places in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja, championing this cause, notable Nigerians, including former governor of defunct Western State, Brigadier David Jemibewon, had openly declared that there was nothing constitutionally barring the Acting President from also throwing his hat in the ring in 2011.

Jonathan, himself, has not helped suspicion that he might be interested in the race. When asked directly by Cable News Network’s (CNN) Christine Amanpour whether he would stand for election next year during his recent visit to the United States, he danced around the question which observers perceived to be an evasive response.
In his reaction, Prof. David-West said it would be dishonourable for Jonathan to seek to subvert the party’s rules which he was quite aware of and never complained against, at the 11th hour.

He said the Acting President’s evasiveness in the Amanpour interview “exposed him as having a secret agenda to contest in 2011,” pointing out that much as Jonathan had the constitutional right, his current body language was irresponsible and nauseating.
“It was the party’s machinery that invoked the doctrine of necessity and made him Acting President, quite contrary to the constitution, without prejudice to the political impasse on the national scene.
“Now, Jonathan can’t eat his cake and have it. He can’t turn round now to flout the party’s rules. For that alone PDP should suspend him”, the ex-minister said.

He accused Isoun of hypocrisy and self-serving tendencies in suggesting that the zoning of the presidency be discarded just because he found it convenient for his kinsman (Jonathan).
His words: “When PDP approved alternating the presidency between the north and south, he didn’t say anything. He was in the cabinet of Obasanjo. But now, because the Acting President is flirting with the idea; he now wakes up from his slumber.
“He quotes the constitution that it does not bar Jonathan. I agree with him, because I was one of those who drafted the 1979 constitution after which the 1999 constitution was modelled. But, what Isoun and his type are missing is this fundamental issue.

“In spite of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, PDP, as a party, for very justifiable reasons, decided to alternate the presidency between north and south, so every member of the party is bound by it. Jonathan himself never complained about it. Every responsible member of the party is bound by the party’s modus operandi. You cannot wake up at the 11th hour and say it does not suit you.
He said Isoun and Jonathan’s attitude reflected the syndrome among African leaders of abusing office and throwing overboard all reverent values, all in order to retain power, a trend, he observed, that had always pushed the nation backward.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2010/apr/27/newsbreak-27-04-2010-001.htm
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by Hardtalk: 8:33pm On Apr 27, 2010
It is better, Jonathan does not contest,
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by stede(m): 8:41pm On Apr 27, 2010
power of 9ja,
Re: Don’t Contest In 2011 Election, Rather Settle For Vice - Obasanjo Tells Jonathan by tekma: 8:54pm On Apr 27, 2010
I am 4rm d north and I am not in support of dis presidency comin 2 d north, because ova d years they ve not use it judiciously 2 d developmemt of the north or 2 empower her people not 2 talk of havin d interest of our DEAR country at heart rathaer all d so called rulers dis country ever had are people who ve personal, family an friends interest instead.
  I believe dat dis is d time dat we ve 2 stand up as patriotic citizens of our DEAR fatherland an figth 4 who is going 2 fixed Nigeria an not 2 pay attention 4 some group of failures who called themselves pdp has failed their fathersland an instead of repentin 4rm dia sins dia scheming more evil 4 our DEAR country Nigeria.    
   Fellow Nairalanders lets stand 4 d Gud of  Country an fight especially our past so called leaders dat left us wit legacy of corruption.  
     As 4 me I actually wish dat gudluk jonathan is brave enough 2 contest an be d saviour we are waitin 4, 4 he has d knive an d meat in his possesion as at now.GIV HIM D COURAGE HE WANT NOW,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees / Lagos Is The Safest City In Nigeria – Frank Mba / Against All Odds, Rochas Wins Re-election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.