Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / . (1493 Views)

Enjoy Your Buhari – Reno Omokri Blasts Sowore For Supporting Buhari In 2015 / Governor El-Rufai's Joke About PDP Fighting Corruption Better Than APC In 2019 / See How GEJ Fought Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by LordAdam16: 11:24pm On Feb 22, 2018
Re: . by spako4(m): 11:37pm On Feb 22, 2018
People deceiving people at work again
Re: . by yarimo(m): 2:07am On Feb 23, 2018
It has been long when I stop taking RENO OMOKRI serious on any local and international issues , since when I discovered he was one time YABA LEFT hospital patient. undecided

1 Like

Re: . by ivandragon: 5:23am On Feb 23, 2018
facts speak for themselves.

5 Likes

Re: . by nawtyme: 6:07am On Feb 23, 2018
Transparency International is IPOB......... ZoneBs

1 Like

Re: . by tuniski: 6:18am On Feb 23, 2018
yarimo:
It has been long when I stop taking RENO OMOKRI serious on any local and international issues , since when I discovered he was one time YABA LEFT hospital patient. undecided
Do you take transparency international seriously?

1 Like

Re: . by anibirelawal(m): 6:29am On Feb 23, 2018
Talk is cheap.
Re: . by machuks45(m): 6:40am On Feb 23, 2018
[quote author=yarimo post=65297649]It has been long when I stop taking RENO OMOKRI serious on any local and international issues , since when I discovered he was one time YABA LEFT hospital patient. undecided[/ shut and present ur own facts as he did and spewing nonsense from ur mouth
Re: . by machuks45(m): 6:44am On Feb 23, 2018
yarimo:
oga shut up and present ur facts and not spewing nonsense from ur mouth

1 Like

Re: . by Desyner: 7:18am On Feb 23, 2018
I guess selective anti-corruption war is corruption in itself.
Re: . by Glaxxs: 11:25am On Sep 21, 2019
Re: . by LordAdam16: 3:33pm On Sep 30, 2019
Glaxxs:
LordAdam16,

I have a question and would love to know an answer or rather your take on it.

Is Education The Key To Success? If yes, why do you think so, if no , why?

The short answer is NO.

On first glaxxs, you'd think that may be because you used the word 'key' in your question. But not really. It's because I suspect you're referring to 'formal education'. I wouldn't fault you; quite too many people think "formal education" and "education" are interchangeable.

Here's the long answer:

If you entered the search string "meaning of education" in everyone's favorite search engine, you'd get two definitions that are relevant to this subject matter:

A. the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, [especially at a school or university]
B. information about or training in a particular subject

Here's the thing: from our first days on this weird blue planet; we've undergone the "process of receiving systematic instruction" about something or received "information about or training in a particular subject."

It may be as basic as learning how to perform specific chores all the way to a subject as complicated as training to become a surgeon.

The former may not seem like education; but it certainly is.

As such, to become successful at anything, and I mean grinding the gears rather than having it land on your laps, you have to undergo some form of education. Whether you were educated as an apprentice under an artisan to learn a trade or you did your PhD under Terence Tao to become an accomplished Mathematician is immaterial.

The entire construct of classifying education is in part due to elitism (or classism), part due to the Industrial Revolution, and part due to groupism. I'm pretty sure there are at least half a dozen more contributing factors, but those 3 stand out.

======

The earliest form of formal education was reserved for royalty and high-ranking nobles. The first schools (Edubba) were actually institutions to educate students on how to become scribes (recording information).

It was enough for commoners to obtain their education from their parents, guardians, or masters they trained under. Any extra knowledge was superfluous. For instance, if you wanted to be a baker, you didn't need to go to culinary school (there wasn't any at the time); you simply got educated via apprenticeship with the clan's baker? Wanted to be a farmer, your dad will most likely be your tutor. You earned a living with the trade you learned, and that was about it.

For heirs and scions however, education had to be more structured. They had to learn about the workings of the court, the institutions in the realm, religion, combat, war strategy, geography, history, and several other subjects. It was critical they were educated in all this to become effective administrators of the kingdom or land that'd be bequeathed to them.

It is this structured form of education that has morphed over the millennia to become formal education as we know it.

And as it's rose to prominence, wider society has lost sight of the more subtle but pervasive form of traditional education. Such that the widely accepted definitions for formal, informal, and non-formal education somehow have to tie to the four walls of a learning institution.

======

So sure, education is key to success. But formal education isn't.

Mind you, I'm not opining that formal education is useless. It is indeed useful as most trades/professions that can support a decent standard of living require formal education.

But the obsession with it and devaluation of traditional education--as well as the success of individuals who achieve success without a degree--carries a trove of sociological issues that most are unwilling or unable to realize; much more address.

-Lord

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Are In For It: A Paris-based Nigerian Reacted After A Meeting Pmb / Dino Melaye Escapes Assassination, Describes Election Shift As PDP Delay Victory / Buhari Has Given The ICC More Evidence For His Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.